Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm sticking to the theory that the polls are nonsense that may as well start from the assumption that the Torys get 40% and the election turning out to roughly match them was coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

josh04 posted:

I'm sticking to the theory that the polls are nonsense that may as well start from the assumption that the Torys get 40% and the election turning out to roughly match them was coincidence.

i think you need to accept 40% of the country are spiteful cunts who will vote tory for that reason alone

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Don't underestimate the ability for people to rationalise this train wreck ("See? Told you it was a load of fuss about nothing! Only tens of thousands of died! There are much higher numbers than that!") rather than admit that the government they enthusiastically voted into power utterly failed them at every turn. Even if COVID had gone full-on Captain Trips as a direct result of Tory incompetence, people would be saying how much worse we'd have it under Corbyn

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

https://twitter.com/PAJTaylorWriter/status/1271057974258290691

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We must protect the history of it's in the past, forget about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Statues are there so that we can remember history.
*remembers history*
No, not like that!

Also, how come none of them ever remember the proud history of smashing the poo poo out of unpopular statues, which was pretty much the national pastime in the 16th century? Is it because all the statues are gone? Because they kept the woodcuts.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
We have more important things to discuss than polls

https://twitter.com/alreadytaken74/status/1271148200154587139

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

It’s the old adage of think of how dumb the average person can be, and remember that 50% of the U.K. population are dumber than that

Except instead of smarts it’s racism

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tear down all the statues, and place these on the vaccant pedastals. :worship:

Wachter posted:

Don't underestimate the ability for people to rationalise this train wreck ("See? Told you it was a load of fuss about nothing! Only tens of thousands of died! There are much higher numbers than that!") rather than admit that the government they enthusiastically voted into power utterly failed them at every turn. Even if COVID had gone full-on Captain Trips as a direct result of Tory incompetence, people would be saying how much worse we'd have it under Corbyn

"Holy poo poo 60000+ deaths under the Tories!"
"Well, if it were under Corbyn we'd be having 60001+ deaths!"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 11, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Shite ad for these stickers just turned up on my FB:

(Stand with J K Rowling stickers.)

https://www.standingforwomen.com/product-page/istandwithjkrowling-stickers

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 11, 2020

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

JR rowling is going to sue that company for using the sorting hat without permission lmao.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's Oogie Boogie from Nightmare before Christmas surely?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Half the comments under the ad are 'please send me a bazillion' and the other half are 'get lost with that terfy shite' (with further replies to those comments saying that if you don't support this you don't support women and girls)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well the SJWs have gone too far. they've destroyed Rowling, taken everything from her and left her with nothing but her enormous wealth, celebrity influence, successful writing career and legions of fans. Poor bastard.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Living here does feel a bit like Cassandra in Troy telling the Trojans, "hey, maybe don't bring in that suspicious wooden horse making muffled Greek swears", and them jeering as they drag the thing through the gates.

And then as the Trojans are being murdered them going "Oh, if only there was someone to tell us!".

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Holy poo poo I was literally joking with the gender sorting hat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tbf the Sorting Hat would absolutely be a terf that outs any kid who doesn't conform to their assigned gender and probably does so even if they've not actually acted on it.

"Hmmmm.... Hufflepuff. And make sure... make sure that "Emily" here goes in the boys dorms, where he belongs." *Big round of applause from entire hall of teachers and students for outing this dangerous 11 year old*

Of course, thinking about it, isn't the prohibition on boys going in the girls dorms and like the one rule that is never broken or circumvented by 'Arry? Anything else they get around it one way or another but that one, oh no, you get literal time travel before you can sneak into the girls bedchambers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sorting hat is like centuries old isn't it? Do you think it occasionally just screams racial epithets at the students? I think it probably does.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pretty disgraceful treatment in here for a sorting hat that explicitly listens to what the kids actually want.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

OwlFancier posted:

The sorting hat is like centuries old isn't it? Do you think it occasionally just screams racial epithets at the students? I think it probably does.

It probably puts all the ethnic minority kids in the same house.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

:allbuttons:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Living here does feel a bit like Cassandra in Troy telling the Trojans, "hey, maybe don't bring in that suspicious wooden horse making muffled Greek swears", and them jeering as they drag the thing through the gates.

And then as the Trojans are being murdered them going "Oh, if only there was someone to tell us!".

I have literally used this exact analogy in conversations with my therapist on *checks palm of hand* at least 3 occasions I think.

It sucks, understanding the world but being unable to materially affect it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

a DeCenT lEaDer WoUlD Be 20 PoiNtS aHeaD

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but they're all extremely old ones, predating early modern 'racial' classification.

That's why Hermione is able to suddenly be Black, but god drat if you're a Jew you're going to the goblin bank instead of any House.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Imagine explaining to a child all starry-eyed from the first Potter book that the funny hat thing is now a mascot for a movement to put goolie inspectors in all the public bogs

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but they're all extremely old ones, predating early modern 'racial' classification.

That's why Hermione is able to suddenly be Black, but god drat if you're a Jew you're going to the goblin bank instead of any House.

Holy poo poo it literally measures skulls

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
somehow the jk rowling story gains another layer of hosed up idiocy as The Sun decides to respond to her mention of abuse by putting on the front page a goddamn interview with her abuser

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1271201178781712388

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Wachter posted:

Imagine explaining to a child all starry-eyed from the first Potter book that the funny hat thing is now a mascot for a movement to put goolie inspectors in all the public bogs

This country kind of feels like one of those horror films where your childhood toys get posessed by evil spirits and try and kill you. Except it's not toys it's books and films you used to enjoy and the spirits are the whole bottle of vodka the writers kneck before going on late nite Twitter rants

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Pesky Splinter posted:

tbh I think this analogy is flawed, if the trojans were actually like brits they would be saying "actually I quite enjoy being hacked to pieces by Greeks because at least they're good on the economy and can you imagine how much worse things would be if we'd listened to Τζέρεμι Κόρμπιν and left this thing outside? I vaguely remember a time 50 years ago when you couldn't get your bins collected and if he had his way he'd probably give Lesbos back to the argentinians, what a disgrace"

XMNN fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 11, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wachter posted:

The tories are 100% banking on this with the performative lockdown and sensible and extremely scientific easing of restrictions

When brexit hits it'll be nothing but "aw dang, it would have gone perfectly if it weren't for that lousy coronavirus!!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

if he had his way he'd probably give Lesbos back to the argentinians, what a disgrace
I heard from a beloved children's playwright that galli activists want to literally erase that island, it's a disgrace.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I'm trying to imagine the multiple meetings that must have happened for this to exist, and I honestly can't even begin to believe anyone thought this was a good idea

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Wachter posted:

Honestly I read all the HP books as a kid and even finished the later ones as a teen because it seemed daft to read more than half the series without getting to the end, and it's only now looking on them with hindsight that I recognise how loving ~problematic~ they all are, Rowling is total piece of poo poo lol

Phrenology hat by itself is loving nuts - hi I'm going to measure your skull to see whether you get to go live in one of four segregated towers, are you A) good strapping bold aryan B) swarthy cunning evil guy who literally can talk to snakes, famously the most evil of creatures C) neither of the above but smart I guess or D) same as C but dumb. Better watch out pal my decision here will affect your entire life forever lol

What a loving lesson for kids.

e: that reminds me I must have a couple of first or early edition versions of philosopher's sone/chamber of secrets/azkaban lying about buried in a cupboard somewhere. Might be an idea to see how much some dumbass with a hogwarts house in their bio will pay for them before JK gets thoroughly cancelled.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 11, 2020

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

XMNN posted:

tbh I think this analogy is flawed, if the trojans were actually like brits they would be saying "actually I quite enjoy being hacked to pieces by Greeks because at least they're good on the economy and can you imagine how much worse things would be if we'd listened to Τζέρεμι Κόρμπιν and left this thing outside? I vaguely remember a time 50 years ago when you couldn't get your bins collected and if he had his way he'd probably give Lesbos back to the argentinians, what a disgrace"

Engraving found in Trojan ruin reads: "Why we mustn't let the Greek death squads stifle our economy"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Angepain posted:

somehow the jk rowling story gains another layer of hosed up idiocy as The Sun decides to respond to her mention of abuse by putting on the front page a goddamn interview with her abuser

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1271201178781712388

I uh, I wasn't expecting this twist :staredog:

This is disgusting. As much as I detest JKR and what she's doing to us... what the gently caress??

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

I'm trying to imagine the multiple meetings that must have happened for this to exist, and I honestly can't even begin to believe anyone thought this was a good idea
Maybe it's like the statues, in that it's a microcosm of the terrible things that Britain did to Africa.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

Why is there a μ in Κόρμπιν?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wachter posted:

Horrified now imagining the voice of Leslie Phillips sotto voce asking people what they've got between their legs before assigning them a toilet.

XMNN posted:

Actually, yeah this is more accurate :lol:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe it's like the statues, in that it's a microcosm of the terrible things that Britain did to Africa.

What about this one?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why is there a μ in Κόρμπιν?

I was going to blame google translate and me being too lazy to try to transliterate it myself, but it looks like actual greeks are to blame (as always)

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A4%CE%B6%CE%AD%CF%81%CE%B5%CE%BC%CE%B9_%CE%9A%CF%8C%CF%81%CE%BC%CF%80%CE%B9%CE%BD

I wonder why beta isn't a better transliteration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Ms Adequate posted:

I uh, I wasn't expecting this twist :staredog:

This is disgusting. As much as I detest JKR and what she's doing to us... what the gently caress??

I'll give The Sun this much, they don't sit on their laurels. Always finding ways of outdoing themselves.

The juxtaposition of elements on the page is like something out a fever dream. Footie! Die for the High Street! Spousal abuse!