Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

Hi! I'm the developer of Village Monsters which is a cozy life-sim game in the vein of Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley. You play as the sole human living in a community of monsters

Village Monsters is technically not released yet (it's in Early Access), so I'm constantly adding new content and features. Version 1.0 should be out sometime this fall.

I actually felt some trepidation when I first submitted to this bundle (and back then it was like 100 titles!!) because VM is my first game and I'm trying to start a career as a solo indie dev. It's not exactly good business sense to give away your game before it's even released, yeah? But the groups its raising money for are so urgently needed, and after seeing the bundle's success I feel insanely lucky that I could be a tiny part of something so awesome and historic.

Anywho, you have a bajillion games to play now, but please give my dumb little Village Monsters a shot sometime!

Checking this out because chill cozy games are my jam. The opening music that plays when you create a new file is giving me some serious Lord of the Rings score vibes. Did you write the music yourself or are you nabbing it from some free music repository? I've got some serious brain worms itching the back of my mind trying to place exactly what piece the opening music reminds me of.

Concerning hobbits maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGaz_qN0cw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Epic High Five posted:

I'm gonna get dogpiled for this but I bounced hard off bastion almost instantly because I couldn't stand that loser who wouldn't shut up about every time I walked down a hallway or touched an urn. Does Pyre have that?

you're right that's a pretty bad take

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I'm gonna get dogpiled for this but I bounced hard off bastion almost instantly because I couldn't stand that loser who wouldn't shut up about every time I walked down a hallway or touched an urn. Does Pyre have that?

Logan Cunningham is better than you deserve

he calls all the sportsball plays in Pyre but is mostly silent between matches

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

Found another very minor "bug" with the site - if you filter it so that there's less than 24 items in the results, the page will still say it's showing items 1-24. So, for instance, if you check "Other", it'll say "Showing 1 - 24 of 11 items". Not at all a big deal, but thought it might be worth pointing out.

Fixed, thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Epic High Five posted:

I don't recall Pyre having a lot of that kind of narration, no

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

His voice isnt bad but the gameplay device is just awful

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Epic High Five posted:

His voice isnt bad but the gameplay device is just awful

Hey each to their own but I'm fascinated to find my gaming opposite

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WarpDogs posted:

Hi! I'm the developer of Village Monsters which is a cozy life-sim game in the vein of Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley. You play as the sole human living in a community of monsters
Anywho, you have a bajillion games to play now, but please give my dumb little Village Monsters a shot sometime!
This one had already caught my eye before this post but I'm gonna bump it up the list because goon posts :kimchi:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

WarpDogs posted:

Village Monsters is technically not released yet (it's in Early Access), so I'm constantly adding new content and features. Version 1.0 should be out sometime this fall.

I actually felt some trepidation when I first submitted to this bundle (and back then it was like 100 titles!!) because VM is my first game and I'm trying to start a career as a solo indie dev. It's not exactly good business sense to give away your game before it's even released, yeah? But the groups its raising money for are so urgently needed, and after seeing the bundle's success I feel insanely lucky that I could be a tiny part of something so awesome and historic.

As a kickstarter backer of this project, I can confirm that WarpDogs has been good at kickstarting: good clear updates, plenty of updates, and I'm looking forward to 1.0 so I can play the game proper. Please check it out - or at least keep an eye on it as it gets closer to a full release!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Hey each to their own but I'm fascinated to find my gaming opposite

oh, so you think his VA work is awful, but the device is excellent? :colbert:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
69 pages of games. nice.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Basion hit me in a way no other game had when I played it on release.

I'm certain I would not have the same reaction today because some of the things bastion did are alot more common than they used to be. When the narrator commented on me smashing pots or falling off the edge it really made me feel like the game was alive and interacting with me, rather than simply me interacting with the game.

It was magical but if you didn't catch that thrill I can see bastion being a pass for you, it's not like the gameplay itself is terribly exciting and it's really just the way the game engages the player that makes it good.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
What exactly do you mean by "gameplay device?" Do you just not like dynamic narration or is it something else?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Samuringa posted:

The Hex

In a creaky old tavern, in a forgotten corner of the video game universe, a storm is raging. The barkeep gets a patchy phone call. It's hard to tell what the caller is saying, but this much is clear: someone in The Six Pint Inn is planning a murder.

There are six patrons; all of them are video game protagonists trying to escape their past... But The Six Pint Inn has a way of bringing back old memories. Each flashback plays out in an entirely different genre, sometimes blending multiple. By exploring these memories you may discover the identity of the murderer... or you may learn much darker secrets.

Ooh, I've had my on eye this for a bit. It's from the creator of Pony Island, one of the best "super meta game about hacking the game" games. He does a good job keeping things varied as opposed to making a normal game except you call the mechanics hacking.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, The Hex is pretty great and I can strongly recommend it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

What exactly do you mean by "gameplay device?" Do you just not like dynamic narration or is it something else?

yeah, the game wasn't compelling enough to make me get past the nonstop talking

like I don't think it's a bad game, it's just a game I didn't enjoy and I know why I didn't enjoy it :shrug: dev had a lot of success doing it so just wanted to see if they did it again with Pyre

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

yeah, the game wasn't compelling enough to make me get past the nonstop talking

like I don't think it's a bad game, it's just a game I didn't enjoy and I know why I didn't enjoy it :shrug: dev had a lot of success doing it so just wanted to see if they did it again with Pyre

Depending on if you were annoyed by the constant sound of a dude speaking or just the sheer volume of words, note that Pyre is basically a visual novel between the NBA Jam bits. Most of it's not voiced, so if that was your problem you should be fine, but there is still a lot of extraneous dialogue.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Depending on if you were annoyed by the constant sound of a dude speaking or just the sheer volume of words, note that Pyre is basically a visual novel between the NBA Jam bits. Most of it's not voiced, so if that was your problem you should be fine, but there is still a lot of extraneous dialogue.

As a disco superfan I assure you that a volume of words is not off-putting

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Playing A Mortician’s Tale and I am super loving grossed out by this corporate stuff in the middle. (Game is not much of a game, but good.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Ooh, I've had my on eye this for a bit. It's from the creator of Pony Island, one of the best "super meta game about hacking the game" games. He does a good job keeping things varied as opposed to making a normal game except you call the mechanics hacking.

That's a solid Sold! from me.

Looks like no one has spoken about Cardinal Chains. From the game's description:

quote:

Cardinal Chains is a minimalist puzzle game centering on the concept of non-decreasing sequences.

Each puzzle begins with a monochrome grid of numbers, plus a few colored cells marked with an X. Starting at these cells, you must link up numbers in non-decreasing order until the whole grid is filled with color.

500 unique, carefully handcrafted puzzles, each with a single solution
Varied difficulty and puzzle types to keep things lively
Minimalist, elegant design with a clean interface and smooth animations
Looks great on all screen types and resolutions
No timers, limit of tries or other annoyances of any kind - just pure gameplay

Neat little browser puzzle game that I've put a couple of hours into while doing other things, listening to podcasts or whatever.

As part of The Bundle, I think it's worth a look.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Jordan7hm posted:

Playing A Mortician’s Tale and I am super loving grossed out by this corporate stuff in the middle. (Game is not much of a game, but good.)

"we're excited to announce lots of dead babies" really doesn't mince words

It's really an eye opening experience, or eyes being glued shut with little spikey things to keep the lids I'm place, either or

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah and corporate guy is scum, especially when you notice he is calling the MC Charlotte instead of Charlie

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 12, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s a really good little experience in any case. I feel like I learned stuff playing it. And the interactions with the other characters felt authentic and in some cases pretty sweet (I kissed her).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Knightmare Tower is a pretty fun and polished arcade game originally released for mobile. You're basically pogoing your way up a tower on the skulls of legions of flying monsters, trying to outrun a rapidly-rising lava floor. Killing monsters gives you gold, gold gives you permanent upgrades. As you get higher, the monsters get tougher and start getting more dangerous. It manages to avoid the trap of excessive grindiness, and there's an endless mode after the :airquote: story :airquote: is over.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Samuringa posted:

Another little roundup after looking through that kind goon's organizer

Receiver
The Hex
Pikuniku

Having played these I can confirm these are indeed cool games.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah. A lot of that is why I really got on board with the death-positive movement because when my grandpa died I was learning how much all that poo poo costs? It's so disgusting, so predatory.

I've told my family to not dare spend a penny more than they need to when it comes to disposing of my corpse. gently caress that poo poo.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i want my body to be shot into a black hole. i wonder how much that costs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Awesome! posted:

i want my body to be shot into a black hole. i wonder how much that costs.

depends on how knowledgeable your family is in backyard rocket science and astronomy

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I really wanted to like Fumiko (weird sci-fi platformer? sign me up!) but the controls are incredibly floaty, to the point it's a feature in-game.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Added WitchWay, Vision Soft Reset, and Flash Point: Fire Rescue to the nifty pile.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright, I'm assuming today's batch was the final batch, so here is my list of highlights:

Vision: Soft Reset (https://th3shark.itch.io/vision-soft-reset) is a Metroidvania where you can time travel and hop between multiple timelines.

Pyre (https://supergiant-games.itch.io/pyre) is Supergiant's magical NBA Jam/visual novel.

Backspace Bouken (https://rngpartygames.itch.io/backspace-bouken) is a typing-game mixed with a dungeon crawler.

Pikuniku (https://devolverdigital.itch.io/pikuniku) is an extremely chill story platformer about an ambulatory ellipse that traipses around a candy-colored world that is being ruined by capitalism

Four-Sided Fantasy (https://serenity-forge.itch.io/four-sided-fantasy) is a puzzle-platformer where you can wrap around the edges of the screen and the puzzles account for this.

RYB (https://fleb.itch.io/ryb) is a gorgeously minimalist logic puzzler along the lines of hexcells but color-based

Rex: Another Island (https://shysaursoft.itch.io/rex-another-island) is an open-world platformer where you're a tiny little dino

Lasercat (https://monsterjail.itch.io/lasercat) is a room-by-room platform in the Spectrum mold, it's cute and not too long

Aerannis (https://ff.itch.io/aerannis) is a Metroidvania that has A BUNCH OF CAVEATS. oh boy this game is a hot mess. the premise involves forced sexual reassignment, a caste system of ciswomen, transwomen, and the forcibly-reassigned, and a lot of transphobia. the gameplay is decent, there's some OK stealth at times and then annoying insta-fail stealth at times. oh right, the game has a loving Vivian James cameo, the GamerGate mascot. lol. maybe this shouldn't be on the list (or the bundle) at all. it's probably the most problematic game in the whole lineup. it's probably not as bad as The Last Night was going to be, but it's got some real Yikes material in it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Milkmaid of the Milky Way is a stark reminder that I cannot handle adventure game logic

how is a wooden spoon useful for picking fruit off a tree or prying nails loose. how.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm watching a friend stream GunHouse and it's a trip. It's a puzzle game where you try to line up 2 or 3 line blocks of the three guns you have equipped to shoot motherfuckers raiding your orphanage to steal your kids. The art style is an amazing Toejam and Earl kinda deal and every song I've heard so far has been wonderful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WarpDogs posted:

this has been on my radar for a while so I was surprised to see it in the bundle :kimchi: I didn't actually know it was out in early access but I'm excited to try it out.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so are they done adding stuff now? i started going through yesterday when i though they were done and then poo poo got rearranged again so i stopped.

between just the ~5 bundle pages i went through and things from this thread my little document of games to try is up to 61 things already which is pretty crazy. i was honestly expecting a much higher ratio of garbage.

i dont think ive seen anyone mention hyperspace dogfights yet which i actually had on my steam wishlist. its basically roguelite luftrausers. if those words mean something to you definitely check it out. and hell if they dont still check it out and also check out luftrausers (is that in the bundle? i have no clue) itself.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 12, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did the tutorial stage of Hellenica and it looks like a fun tactical rpg with neat aesthetics. You program your turn and then see it executed instead of going character by character.

It's steam-punk ancient greece. And the main character is a women-warrior chosen by Artemis who can turn into a bear.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Awesome! posted:

so are they done adding stuff now? i started going through yesterday when i though they were done and then poo poo got rearranged again so i stopped.

between just the ~5 bundle pages i went through and things from this thread my little document of games to try is up to 61 things already which is pretty crazy. i was honestly expecting a much higher ratio of garbage.

i dont think ive seen anyone mention hyperspace dogfights yet which i actually had on my steam wishlist. its basically roguelite luftrausers. if those words mean something to you definitely check it out.

things are still being added, though i think they're pushing freebies to a secondary "supporters" bundle

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Awesome! posted:

they cut off new submissions today but

https://twitter.com/moonscript/status/1271201244254629888

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thanks ill probably start going through it for real tomorrow then.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I did the tutorial stage of Hellenica and it looks like a fun tactical rpg with neat aesthetics. You program your turn and then see it executed instead of going character by character.

It's steam-punk ancient greece. And the main character is a women-warrior chosen by Artemis who can turn into a bear.
oh that looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

After going through the "find something" -> "open bundle download page" -> "search for title" -> "download" dance a couple of times, I added a button to https://randombundlegame.com/browse.