Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Qubee posted:

I really enjoy watching videos on youtube about various engineering / electrical / plumbing topics. There are some youtubers who seem to be a jack-of-all-trades, and I want to know how I can learn their same skills in the smartest way. I don't know whether I should enroll in courses (I imagine these would be time intensive, and I don't have the time to fit in going to classes every day whilst working my job), or if I should just pick up books. With courses, I don't imagine you'd be able to do a 2 week electrical crash course and have enough of a grasp to go out and start working on DIY projects in your home.

For someone who has taught themselves a certain skillset (whether it's woodworking, machining, welding, electrical), what advice can you give someone looking to get into these skillsets? I have a mechanical engineering background and being able to do my own DIY projects and utilizing a bunch of different resources would be great. I'm just at a loss where to start, because it seems a bit daunting, but I figure I have a lifetime to slowly gain these skills.

It would be nice having the confidence and know-how to safely fix something acting up in the home, whether it's an air conditioning unit, a washing machine, or just wiring up my own lights. Some electrician came and did a poo poo job at the family home a few years ago and left a bunch of exposed wires and did a shoddy job, I'd really like to know how to fix his poo poo and make the bathroom actually look nice (renovating a bathroom seems relatively straight forward as there are tonnes of guides online I could follow when it comes to tiling, waterproofing, etc). And if an AC unit has a faulty compressor or is out of refrigerant, I'd like to know how to fix that myself instead of calling a professional out.

The best way in my view is learning by working alongside someone who knows what they're doing, whether that's a trade pro, school instructor or experienced DIYer. This can be especially helpful for things like welding which are technique-driven and whose subtleties can sometimes be hard to pick up from videos.

As working with someone is not always possible, you can still learn a lot from books, videos, online forums and trial-and-error DIYing. These two books for instance provide an excellent overview:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Complete-Wiring-Updated/dp/0760353573

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Complete-Guide-Plumbing/dp/1589233786

I'd say start with one project, e.g. the bathroom electrical you mentioned. Run things by knowledgeable folks online. I suggest not just asking how to do something, but doing your own studying first, thinking things through, and then asking if you're on the right track:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Take pics before, during and after for reference (and laughs).

Ultimately, there's nothing that can replicate hands-on experience, one project at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

On the real estate app Redfin, is there a way to filter out homes with a pool?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If fire needs oxygen how is there magma?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baron Porkface posted:

Magma isn’t on fire. It’s just hot.

It’s hot because of equal parts radioactive decay deep within the Earth and heat left over from the formation of the planet.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 10, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

magma isn't fire it's molten rock

if you rub your hands together real fast to make some heat and then hold a piece of chocolate it'll melt, no fire necessary

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Magma isn't burning, it's just hot enough to not be a complete solid anymore. Same way ice turns into water, except at much higher temperatures.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Some vitamins can cause health problems or poisoning if you take too much of them and others are harmless no matter how much you take (vitamin C)

When I was very young I gobbled fistfuls of vitamin c gummy bears and soon lay screaming in pain clutching at my stomach and had to go to the hospital. It was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced.

Certain vitamins that are “safe” can also interact with medications or preexisting conditions in dangerous ways.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Gummy bears have artificial sweeteners in them that can cause serious gastric distress when eaten in excess amounts.

Not saying that's why you ended up in hospital, but the risk from eating too many of them is far higher from the gummy bear as opposed to the vitamin C.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Memento posted:

Gummy bears have artificial sweeteners in them that can cause serious gastric distress when eaten in excess amounts.

Not saying that's why you ended up in hospital, but the risk from eating too many of them is far higher from the gummy bear as opposed to the vitamin C.

Sugarless gummy bears do, but I'm pretty sure plain old gummy bears are fine to eat in excess (at least, as fine as it is to eat any amount of sugar in excess).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's true, but aren't medicated gummies usually sugar free?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A large bag of sugarless gummies will give a grown man severe gastric distress. I can imagine gobbling some handfuls would send a small child to the hospital.

Watching this might be therapeutic for you Kevin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjgaa5j_LE

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
A big enough dose of just vitamin C itself can give a nasty case of the shits with painful cramping. Ask me how I know. :negative:

E: a question of my own. What do you call the thing that this little guy is blowing on?: :toot:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 11, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Hipster_Doofus posted:

A big enough dose of just vitamin C itself can give a nasty case of the shits with painful cramping. Ask me how I know. :negative:

E: a question of my own. What do you call the thing that this little guy is blowing on?: :toot:

I guess party horn, but I'm gonna call it a blow tickler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_horn?wprov=sfla1

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Qubee posted:

I really enjoy watching videos on youtube about various engineering / electrical / plumbing topics. There are some youtubers who seem to be a jack-of-all-trades, and I want to know how I can learn their same skills in the smartest way. I don't know whether I should enroll in courses (I imagine these would be time intensive, and I don't have the time to fit in going to classes every day whilst working my job), or if I should just pick up books. With courses, I don't imagine you'd be able to do a 2 week electrical crash course and have enough of a grasp to go out and start working on DIY projects in your home.

For someone who has taught themselves a certain skillset (whether it's woodworking, machining, welding, electrical), what advice can you give someone looking to get into these skillsets? I have a mechanical engineering background and being able to do my own DIY projects and utilizing a bunch of different resources would be great. I'm just at a loss where to start, because it seems a bit daunting, but I figure I have a lifetime to slowly gain these skills.

It would be nice having the confidence and know-how to safely fix something acting up in the home, whether it's an air conditioning unit, a washing machine, or just wiring up my own lights. Some electrician came and did a poo poo job at the family home a few years ago and left a bunch of exposed wires and did a shoddy job, I'd really like to know how to fix his poo poo and make the bathroom actually look nice (renovating a bathroom seems relatively straight forward as there are tonnes of guides online I could follow when it comes to tiling, waterproofing, etc). And if an AC unit has a faulty compressor or is out of refrigerant, I'd like to know how to fix that myself instead of calling a professional out.

Just Do It like the nike commercials used to say. if you want to get into woodworking build a dang birdhouse, use the skills you pick up to build a chair, repeat until you are a construction worker and resent getting up to frame every morning. youtube people are not a good representation of hobbyists, they have editing software. people say learning poo poo is easier for kids, that's just because they aren't afraid of loving up yet. quit being daunted and just get started. journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, etc

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I guess I mostly meant chronic or long-term issues, megadosing Vitamin C can and will give you a very bad time in the digestion department, but like that's probably going to stop you from taking enough of it for a long enough time period that you won't develop any serious health issues that gently caress you up proper. Megadosing Vitamin A or D for instance probably won't make you immediately sick but they'll gently caress up your liver and kidneys real bad. Either way there's generally no need to worry about vitamins if you're not experiencing symptoms of deficiency.

Magma is just the liquid form of rock. Just about everything in the universe will melt if you make it hot enough, and there's plenty of ways to make things hot without oxygen (like radioactive decay inside the earth for instance).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

owlhawk911 posted:

Just Do It like the nike commercials used to say. ...that's just because they aren't afraid of loving up yet. quit being daunted and just get started.

But please don't just start messing around with electrical stuff if you don't know what you're doing

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just started an IT job in the public sector at a place that is subject to FOIA. Because of this, the IT director has not implemented any kind of Slack / IM system. It's all shouting down hallways and phone calls -- he's worried about people's phone numbers or personal info being inadvertantly shared and then the chats getting FOIA'd at some point.

Anyone else in a similar role? What's your group and individual chat solution? If it matters, it's a very small government office -- think county or small city, and our full IT department is 11 people.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

dirby posted:

But please don't just start messing around with electrical stuff if you don't know what you're doing

i did and nothing's burned down yet. i fixed tools and lamps and poo poo, then wired a garage, and now have helped in a few houses. you start small and work your way up and learn to trust yourself, like with anything else

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

owlhawk911 posted:

i did and nothing's burned down yet. i fixed tools and lamps and poo poo, then wired a garage, and now have helped in a few houses. you start small and work your way up and learn to trust yourself, like with anything else

Do. Not.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

owlhawk911 posted:

Most countries have laws saying that this work can only be carried out by trained and certified personnel. Just red tape gone mad I guess.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

regulargonzalez posted:

Just started an IT job in the public sector at a place that is subject to FOIA. Because of this, the IT director has not implemented any kind of Slack / IM system. It's all shouting down hallways and phone calls -- he's worried about people's phone numbers or personal info being inadvertantly shared and then the chats getting FOIA'd at some point.

Anyone else in a similar role? What's your group and individual chat solution? If it matters, it's a very small government office -- think county or small city, and our full IT department is 11 people.

You've answered your own question.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

We've just started using Teams throughout the organisation (and this is our main type of contact under home working) and everyone is just very aware that literally anything online is subject to FOI and being caught saying anything dumb will absolutely be your own fault, including in 'friendly chat' channels. Its a social issue not a tech one.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 11, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels a bit silly. In places without slack / IM, emails and texts end up filling the role and are just as susceptible to FOIA requests.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Chubby Henparty posted:

We've just started using Teams throughout the organisation (and this is our main type of contact under home working) and everyone is just very aware that literally anything online is subject to FOI and being caught saying anything dumb will absolutely be your own fault, including in 'friendly chat' channels. Its a social issue not a tech one.
If people had to stop and ask the question 'Would it be okay if The Guardian published this conversation?' before typing anything, a lot of problems would go away.

Also true for anything you say and do in general, to be honest.

smackfu posted:

Feels a bit silly. In places without slack / IM, emails and texts end up filling the role and are just as susceptible to FOIA requests.
I think people treat IM in general as fleeting, coffee time chats, whilst emails are understood to be monitored and archived. The informality of IM is misleading.

regulargonzalez posted:

Because of this, the IT director has not implemented any kind of Slack / IM system. It's all shouting down hallways and phone calls -- he's worried about people's phone numbers or personal info being inadvertantly shared and then the chats getting FOIA'd at some point.

Just FYI, he's saying it's because of personal information, but it is really because people are as dumb as house bricks and will post inappropriate poo poo without thinking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Human children are very aware of the concept of fairness in the sense of everyone getting the same rewards for the same actions and there's that famous video of the monkey getting pissed off about not getting the same reward as the other monkey, but do dogs have the same reaction/conceptual understanding? If you have two dogs and you're giving one chicken and the other carrots (or whatever) then is one of them going to crack the shits like a human or monkey would?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Human children are very aware of the concept of fairness in the sense of everyone getting the same rewards for the same actions and there's that famous video of the monkey getting pissed off about not getting the same reward as the other monkey, but do dogs have the same reaction/conceptual understanding? If you have two dogs and you're giving one chicken and the other carrots (or whatever) then is one of them going to crack the shits like a human or monkey would?

most dogs i know, rather than sit around feeling jealous, they'd just be focused figuring out how to eat the chicken you're giving to the other dog. and then when you stop them and make them eat carrots, they'll be sad. but it's probably more just because they didn't get the chicken, not because another dog did.

cats however definitely get pissy about this kind of thing. i had a cat go into a deep and bitter depression, refusing to eat or hang out, etc. just because a younger, "cooler" cat moved into the house. she eventually got over it but it took a couple months and we had to pretend we were giving the older cat special treatment, and also had to pretend to scold the younger cat for trying to play with the older one even though the younger one clearly just wanted to be friends

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 11, 2020

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tiggum posted:

Strictly anecdotally, yes. I have a small loveable dope of a dog, and when other dogs visit, the rule is everybody gets a treat. When one of the other dogs was being trained, the treat in question was something my dog didn't like. So he'd sit there waiting for a treat with the other dog, get the reward, but not eat it. He would see the other dog happily munching away, and assume that they had received a better treat. He'd then sit again, get the same treat, and be dejected. He would go investigate the other dog's treat, sniff at it confused, then come around again. Now, my guy is the most mellow dog ever, so he wouldn't get in a fight over a treat like this, but he seemed to think the other dog was getting treated differently.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My experience with dogs is that they don't understand "fairness" but the concept of the grass being greener on the other side is alive and well. Jealous little buggers.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

coward

Memento posted:

Most countries have laws saying that this work can only be carried out by trained and certified personnel. Just red tape gone mad I guess.

at least where i'm at, that applies to working on other people's stuff. not your own

anyways, how *do* you expect someone to learn about electrical stuff if not by loving around with it? trade school or bust?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Whenever I take my dog to visit my parents we usually end up swapping all of their bowls several times, but not food. For some reason, the vessel is the thing worth wanting for them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

owlhawk911 posted:

coward

at least where i'm at, that applies to working on other people's stuff. not your own

anyways, how *do* you expect someone to learn about electrical stuff if not by loving around with it? trade school or bust?

With supervision from a skilled tradesperson. You don't have to ages at a trade school, there definitely are courses that cover the basics in a few weeks, and a lot of people could do apprenticeship style training (though I don't think that's what you're after), but I think a pretty significant aspect of anything like that is having someone who can check your work to make sure you have a proper understanding of what you're doing. A quick google says there's plenty of electrical courses available that only take a few weeks and can be done on weekends or whatever around your work.

Even if it's legal to do that kind of thing on your own property without qualifications, I'd strongly recommend against it, especially anything significant. Electrocution is pretty scary but what's much worse is the risk of an electrical fire down the road. It's not just a risk to you, it's a risk to anyone who enters your property, anyone who's property borders yours, and anyone who might own your property in the future. On top of being a safety risk, it's a financial liability because if at any point you want to sell up or do further improvements you may well end up having to pay to undo and re-do it, which could well be more expensive than just having it done properly the first time.

When was the last time you did something absolutely right the first time? You're probably fine to rewire a lamp with youtube, but modern electrical installations are complicated things and there is a hell of a price to pay if it turns out the wikihow article you read wasn't quite as good as it sounded.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Deformed Church posted:

With supervision from a skilled tradesperson. You don't have to ages at a trade school, there definitely are courses that cover the basics in a few weeks, and a lot of people could do apprenticeship style training (though I don't think that's what you're after), but I think a pretty significant aspect of anything like that is having someone who can check your work to make sure you have a proper understanding of what you're doing. A quick google says there's plenty of electrical courses available that only take a few weeks and can be done on weekends or whatever around your work.

Even if it's legal to do that kind of thing on your own property without qualifications, I'd strongly recommend against it, especially anything significant. Electrocution is pretty scary but what's much worse is the risk of an electrical fire down the road. It's not just a risk to you, it's a risk to anyone who enters your property, anyone who's property borders yours, and anyone who might own your property in the future. On top of being a safety risk, it's a financial liability because if at any point you want to sell up or do further improvements you may well end up having to pay to undo and re-do it, which could well be more expensive than just having it done properly the first time.

When was the last time you did something absolutely right the first time? You're probably fine to rewire a lamp with youtube, but modern electrical installations are complicated things and there is a hell of a price to pay if it turns out the wikihow article you read wasn't quite as good as it sounded.

i'm not saying jump right into straight up wiring a house, i'm saying start small and learn by doing. by the time you've fixed a bunch of appliances and installed a stereo in your car and replaced some switches and fixtures at home and replaced some ancient knob and tube in your attic you should have a lot better idea of what goes into pulling runs and setting up a breaker box. sure i blew up a space heater in the garage when i was a kid, i learned from it too. part of the process

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone else have to clean the toilet with bleach they go number two. It gets really annoying. I have to spray bleach all over it at least once a day. Does everybody do this? Keeping a clean toilet is so much work but no one ever talks about it.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

excellent bird guy posted:

Does anyone else have to clean the toilet with bleach they go number two. It gets really annoying. I have to spray bleach all over it at least once a day. Does everybody do this? Keeping a clean toilet is so much work but no one ever talks about it.
No? Once a week should be plenty, generally. Does flushing not remove the poop? What's happening, exactly?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

maybe eat some fiber from time to time?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Trapick posted:

No? Once a week should be plenty, generally. Does flushing not remove the poop? What's happening, exactly?

I don't want to go into details because I don't want to be gross in here.
I'm going to have a female roommate for 3 months so I'm going to get one of those Mr Clean magic erasers in and scrub the toilet seat and the bowl every day. If I spray bleach in there it might freak her out.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
you, uh, you gotta go into a little bit of detail

the answer to your initial question is... no. most of us do not have to put bleach in the toilet multiple times a day

e: the mr clean erasers are great tho

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I don't want to go into details because I don't want to be gross in here.
I'm going to have a female roommate for 3 months so I'm going to get one of those Mr Clean magic erasers in and scrub the toilet seat and the bowl every day. If I spray bleach in there it might freak her out.

Just checking: you do know that to correctly use a toilet, your butt has to be touching the seat?

You don't open the bathroom door, turn around, bend down and fire away like a lawn sprinkler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

So for actual cleaning suggestions - I'd say get one of those little toilet gel stamp things, or a clip on thing - it should help keep things a little cleaner generally at no effort, and let you go a little longer between cleanings at least. Also make sure you have enough water in the bowl - google for that, but basically you adjust the float as needed.