Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

man, claremont's new exiles not only kinda sucks but its really horny in a bad way that is just a really hard tonal shift from the og book (okay, his issues in the og book were getting kinda bad-horny, but like, compared to say winick and austens stuff)

e: forgot to ask, is nicieza's run on thunderbolts any good? my original plan was, after busiek's run i would skip on ahead to ellis' stuff. but now after finishing busiek's run i kinda want to see where things go, because he didnt really write like, an endcap to his stuff or anything. unless it sucks then ill just stick to jumping forward

Nicieza's run is basically Peak Fabian Nicieza, in that his particular script tics are ramped up to eleven; new characters are introduced and pulled into an ever-broadening web of supporting cast, Moral Questions are raised, fictional eastern European countries experience upheaval, people show up that you will have never heard of if you're not Fabian (like, he pulls in supporting cast from his run on NOMAD), there are many, many swerves. It's all kind of a glorious spaghetti mess and I love it, personally.

For every concept he brings in that I wasn't a big fan of (looking at you, Citizen V and the V-Battalion) he brings in others that I just adore (the aforementioned Moonstone and, later, Zemo face turns), and however ropey I sometimes find his plotting, his character work is impeccable. Everyone in the book feels fleshed-out and believable. Personally, I think his run was underrated and deserves to be read.

Hell, even the late run's backtracking on Moonstone's face turn - without spoiling anything she eventually loses her poo poo because she's trying to do good and do the right thing and be a good person and no one believes her - was excellently done IMO. Read it! It's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, while I admit Nicieza's plots can get a bit unwieldy at times he's great at juggling a lot of characters both in major and minor roles and fleshing them out and giving them their own voices.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Nicieza's run is less of an indisputable classic than Busiek's but it's still a ton of fun and he does right by most of the characters and moves them in interesting directions. I think anyone who liked Busiek's run should give it a try with the caveat that if you skip or skim an issue that seems boring you can probably just catch up, because there are some deeply boring parts.

And I also agree that Songbird is a fantastic character, one of my personal favorites since the book first started. I loved that she finally got her turn in the Avengers during Ewing's run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someday Avengers Forever will be canon.

Then you'll all see.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I've missed Black Cat so much, and "Full Metal Black Cat Part 1" (here for it) was a delight. Stylish athleisure Felicia drinking champagne as Tony Stark is being read for filth in their plan to rip him off is entirely my jam.
The last page reveal rules so hard too. Carlos Villa crushed this issue joining the team - this series has been so blessed with guest artists.

(This series has been one of the easiest to remember for the long wait, because every arc is so memorable, but they're also great to re-read, so win-win, Vulpes.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metalshark posted:

I've missed Black Cat so much, and "Full Metal Black Cat Part 1" (here for it) was a delight. Stylish athleisure Felicia drinking champagne as Tony Stark is being read for filth in their plan to rip him off is entirely my jam.
The last page reveal rules so hard too. Carlos Villa crushed this issue joining the team - this series has been so blessed with guest artists.

(This series has been one of the easiest to remember for the long wait, because every arc is so memorable, but they're also great to re-read, so win-win, Vulpes.)

It is indeed an extremely dope look for Felicia. The whole issue is great.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks everyone, I'm glad it finally came out! Unfortunately #12 isn't out till August, but we've got a Black Cat/ Spider-Man story in the FCBD issue next month!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Reading Black Cat right now. Was that a TNG reference? Of course Stark would say that.
edit: lmao and that ending. I mean it was telegraphed pretty strongly but it still made me smile.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 12, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/wmqcomics/status/1271864917113671680?s=20

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cantwell's Doom book is great. I imagine he'll do good with Tony.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bring back Infamous Iron Man

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just posting this here so I can find it easier later to look up on Marvel Unlimited

https://twitter.com/MarvelDailyArt/status/1271882538785607683?s=19

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

Bring back Infamous Iron Man

I am glad they spent all that time making Doom interesting, giving him a romantic interest (and isn't she pregnant at the end?) and so on, only to throw it all away in the Dan Slott run with no explanation or fanfare.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am glad they spent all that time making Doom interesting, giving him a romantic interest (and isn't she pregnant at the end?) and so on, only to throw it all away in the Dan Slott run with no explanation or fanfare.

I will be flat out honest, having seen Bendis on both Avengers and X-Men, him leaving Marvel entirely before he wore out his welcome on Iron Man and Doctor Doom related stuff might have been for the best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remember when Avengers did Dark Reign, but again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Remember when Avengers did Dark Reign, but again.

No?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Speaking of the Avengers. This new arc of Moon Knight clowning the Avengers is pretty cool.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Count your blessings then.

Long story short, Osborn gets out of jail because apparently the US didn't actually charge him for any of his many crimes and so when he breaks out of jail there's no consequences and the fickle American public flip on the Avengers on a dime and are like "Boo Avengers! Osborn rules!" for basically no reason.

Anyway a bunch of other bullshit happens and Osborn turns himself into a purple Super-Adaptoid and then melts. It was all very stupid.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

If I recall correctly the powers-that-be didn't want to admit their illegal underwater prison had sunk and all the prisoners died. That book was decent, the rest was garbage.

Has anyone set up an illegal space jail yet?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Count your blessings then.

Long story short, Osborn gets out of jail because apparently the US didn't actually charge him for any of his many crimes and so when he breaks out of jail there's no consequences and the fickle American public flip on the Avengers on a dime and are like "Boo Avengers! Osborn rules!" for basically no reason.

Anyway a bunch of other bullshit happens and Osborn turns himself into a purple Super-Adaptoid and then melts. It was all very stupid.

Lmao wtf what book did this happen in

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was really funny because someone laboriously explained to osborn how all the other super adaptoids were beaten, i.e. overloading them with too many powers. then he was immediately beaten when he kind of waded into a giant mass of avengers who overloaded him with too many powers. i'm not sure if it was meant to be funny, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Bendis threw all that poo poo out himself AND burnt Doom’s face again in the last issue to reset the board for Slott. How much of that was Bendis just taking his toys with him and how much of it was Slott asking for something we won’t know but Bendis pulled the same poo poo with Miles prior to Secret Wars so I lean on Bendis being loving poo poo at leaving poo poo alone.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I just remembered that Bendis did two different time travel stories in his Avengers run. TWO.

I actually like Bendis as a writer overall, but he should really stay far away from team books. His Jessica Jones before he left Marvel was just as good as the original run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

New Avengers was definitely fun for a while. Spider-man and Wolverine sassing each other, Cap giving big speeches, Luke Cage calling people on their BS, the early integration of Sentry into the mix. But it wore out its welcome and then some.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dark Reign was fun. Dark Avengers was pretty decent too. The Sentry was the only real weird thing, but nobody seems to be able to write the Sentry.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bendis always does a good job, but then you realize he is on a book two years longer than he should have been. His team stuff is fun but weak, as he can only write like one character voice (jokey). It is weird because he is good at character work in solo series.

His Moon Knight run is really underrated. What a good use of Count Neferia (and Echo too, which is a change of pace).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Lmao wtf what book did this happen in

Both Avengers and New Avengers after Fear Itself. It's real bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Dark Reign was fun. Dark Avengers was pretty decent too. The Sentry was the only real weird thing, but nobody seems to be able to write the Sentry.

I don't think Sentry works past his initial mini-series but people keep trying for some reason. Remember when at his funeral Rogue suddenly admitted that while her entire deal was never being able to touch somebody she in fact had sex with the Sentry because her power didn't work on him and she was never mentioned ot have interacted with him at all before? Yeah.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bananaquiter posted:

If I recall correctly the powers-that-be didn't want to admit their illegal underwater prison had sunk and all the prisoners died. That book was decent, the rest was garbage.

Has anyone set up an illegal space jail yet?

Does the Negative Zone count?

Also DC did once exile a bunch of supervillains to another planet.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

TwoPair posted:

lol yeah, I got the impression that Bendis' Dark Reign 2: Reign Harder was a story that he wanted to tell during Dark Reign 1 but editorial cut it short so he was like, "I'm telling this story anyway"

edit; I know he cut short several storylines or just abandoned them outright (Beyonder is a mutant Inhuman! Hawkeye is a figment of Wanda's mind and is still dead!) during his Avengers run, but I never read his X-Men or GotG. Did he do similar stuff there?

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 14, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

i mustve memory holed those cuz i dont remember that at all

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Isn't that where Wonder Man's Revengers ended up or am I misremembering

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It is in the same time but it's unrelated to the story, they were just in a one-and-done Annual.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Hippo posted:

edit; I know he cut short several storylines or just abandoned them outright (Beyonder is a mutant Inhuman! Hawkeye is a figment of Wanda's mind and is still dead!) during his Avengers run, but I never read his X-Men or GotG. Did he do similar stuff there?

I don't remember plot lines being dropped so much but they're both kind of messes which feel like he wanted to play with them because he never had before but neither felt like his heart was really in it, although as stated he's not so great on team books anyway.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Dreqqus posted:

Isn't that where Wonder Man's Revengers ended up or am I misremembering

I remember being so pissed about this for so many reasons. He just up and made Wonder Man a “violent pacifist” - his whole shctick became “I’ll show how dangerous the avengers are by destroying millions of dollars of public property with a bunch of villains!” and it was horrible. He gave Atlas a heel turn and complete personality makeover out of nowhere, and had that weird Skrull Superman join up to pay society back for beating the Skrull Invasion. Oh, and Bill Foster’s nephew nearly murdering Luke Cage and his wife and daughter despite the fact Luke was on the exact OPPOSITE side that killed Goliath.

The whole thing made zero sense, had zero thought behind it, and ended up with Wonder Man fading away into nothingness again (?)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It occurs to me after having to wear masks over my mouth and talk to people doing th same that none of these heroes or villains with their mouths covered would understand each other very well. They must all have to take lessons in projecting their voice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
~ unstable molecules ~

they're already yelling at each other most of the time anyways tho

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Spider-Man thinks he's incredibly witty, throwing out wisecracks through his fights. His enemies just hear a guy mumbling all the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dialogue during fights, especially with fast heroes, is always ridiculous but it’s something I hope never goes away. Same with two opponents talking in the sky from far away as if they could hear anything in the wind. Shazam did a good bit with it but Kung Fu Panda 2 had the superior take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ProfessorThorgi/status/1272857267109584898?s=20