Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

It seems a given that the new Xbox will launch with Forza Motorsport 8 and Halo Infinite so I hope they're good. I'm confident Forza 8 will own because Forza games are always great and with Halo I just hope the multiplayer is good. Apparently they nailed the core gameplay in Halo 5 but messed up with lack of maps and that weird Warzone mode. If they go back to traditional multiplayer with the improvements they've made it should be solid. They need to remember Firefight as well though because horde modes own.

Forza will probably be good. I wouldn't bet money on Halo coming out swinging but, hey, you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'd prefer a forza horizon personally, but that's not terrible.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I just hope Forza 8 has more fictional than real circuits is all. Maple Valley is more important than Silverstone :colbert:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

hambeet posted:

i'd prefer a forza horizon personally, but that's not terrible.

Holiday 2021 is gonna be awesome!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
There isn't a gamepass thread which is a bummer.

I think the Microsoft Rewards system is kind of fun, and the game pass quests have gotten me to play around with lots of games that I otherwise wouldn't.

I just wish the quest system wasn't so completely janky, with points given in multiple apps and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why sometimes my achievements count and get me points and sometimes the xbox doesn't recognize things.

Anyway Minecraft Dungeons is a profoundly 'ok' diablo clone.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tbh I'm kinda bummed that Diablo 4 is going back to the gritty style.

I know people liked that but I thought how colorful and chaotic Diablo 3 is suits the game really well and it kinda seems like a step back. I'm assuming Diablo 4 will get a console release but maybe it won't, I dunno, but there's plenty of clones that do the gritty look now and D3 stood out with the colorful style and it'll be a shame to see it go.

Plus with more powerful hardware they could zoom the camera back out on the console versions and have more enemies like on PC. I like when the game is chaotic as gently caress :3:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

I know people liked that but I thought how colorful and chaotic Diablo 3 is suits the game really well and it kinda seems like a step back. I'm assuming Diablo 4 will get a console release but maybe it won't, I dunno, but there's plenty of clones that do the gritty look now and D3 stood out with the colorful style and it'll be a shame to see it go.

Plus with more powerful hardware they could zoom the camera back out on the console versions and have more enemies like on PC. I like when the game is chaotic as gently caress :3:

I'm betting Diablo 4 is not exactly pinned down yet (assuming it actually comes out.)

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

graventy posted:

There isn't a gamepass thread which is a bummer.

I think the Microsoft Rewards system is kind of fun, and the game pass quests have gotten me to play around with lots of games that I otherwise wouldn't.

I just wish the quest system wasn't so completely janky, with points given in multiple apps and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why sometimes my achievements count and get me points and sometimes the xbox doesn't recognize things.

Anyway Minecraft Dungeons is a profoundly 'ok' diablo clone.

Agree 100% on all points except the MD, but only because i haven't played it.

I find that some of the claims work better if you wait about 5 min. after getting the achievement. I wish it was just automatic somehow though, I have going through ten different squares to claim 5 points...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SUNKOS posted:

I think the latest footage of D4 they've shown just looks like a slightly more realistic and a lot more detailed version of the D3 style. It didn't strike me as particularly dark or gritty.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm betting Diablo 4 is not exactly pinned down yet (assuming it actually comes out.)

Yeah but I definitely think I'm in the minority because a lot of people have been asking for a return to the gritty style of Diablo 2, which other games in the genre have jumped on. Diablo 3 being so colorful is actually really refreshing, kinda like Overwatch was when it launched among all the realistic military shooters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Diablo 4 will absolutely get a release on consoles because it sold shitloads on them and had a better control scheme pc players were envious of.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
it also had splitscreen which was cool

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Diablo 4 will absolutely get a release on consoles because it sold shitloads on them and had a better control scheme pc players were envious of.

One key difference this time around is that they'll presumably launch at the same time on consoles as PC, and all versions are mandating online connectivity like the PC version of Diablo 3 does (but the console versions do not).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just want a d2 remaster that doesnt suck rear end

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

forza motorsport (not horizon) has been in steady decline since 4 and is intolerable and nobody plays it anymore, they have so much work to do to bring me back at this point.

goons lobbies are on mostly iracing and asetto now

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Diablo 3 is like the exact sort of game me and my wife love and it has couch co-op so it should be like the only thing we ever play but:

1) She gets mad anytime I want to stop and use the menu (which is a lot)
2) The cycle of gameplay puts me into a trance and makes me fall asleep

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Diablo 3 is like the exact sort of game me and my wife love and it has couch co-op so it should be like the only thing we ever play but:

1) She gets mad anytime I want to stop and use the menu (which is a lot)

Console Diablo 3 isn't for micromanaging. You equip whatever makes arrow go up blindly and go with that, and then vendor trash everything in town. Serious Diablo is the PC version.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

univbee posted:

Console Diablo 3 isn't for micromanaging. You equip whatever makes arrow go up blindly and go with that, and then vendor trash everything in town. Serious Diablo is the PC version.

Diablo 3 PC hit a weird perfect moment where you were completely over powered and it's all about speed, and it asks "Now is your choice. You can either quit the game, continue doing the exact same thing over and over, or increase the difficulty to a point where the entire game is just about dodging AoE spells." Endgame is just an entirely different game than the first few playthroughs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hate how d3 boils every piece of gear down to one number but it does make co op way better

ethanol posted:

forza motorsport (not horizon) has been in steady decline since 4 and is intolerable and nobody plays it anymore, they have so much work to do to bring me back at this point.

goons lobbies are on mostly iracing and asetto now

I will get gt7 if youll teach me how to have fun with it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it cant be taught

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ok well ill just grief you then

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If it were like 2 years ago I would be super into gt7. I will prob get it for car pokemon but maybe not. Once you start VR sim racing, it's.. pretty hard to go back

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Arcade racers just don't do it anymore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sf rush will always "do it"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

uhh it sounds like the game bores you.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
idk, I've played boring games and I don't literally get put to sleep by them. It's more oddly soothing than boring.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The only games i fall asleep for real asleep playing are new rear end creeds where i have to set the autopilot horse to the next objective and its a 5 minute ride

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Real hurthling! posted:

Sf rush will always "do it"

I wasted so much money on the arcade one as I kid lol. I've been looking for a cabinet for sale I love that game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Id get an n64 mini if it came on there

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Rush 2 is so good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Arcade racers just don't do it anymore.

This is really annoying.

i picked up NFS heat since its cross-plat now and its a gorgeous game ruined by absolutely terrible car handling. There is zero sense of speed. I dont know how EA bought Criterion Games, who made the best arcade racing series of all time (Burnout) and then took everything from those games except the sense of speed. I realise most of the Burnout team are probably long gone (and alex has moved on to his own indie studio and essentially re-released burnout 3 as Reckless Driving) but man, what a terrible decision.

The handling is also terrible. you build cars for either circuit or drift (and later, on or off road) but the problem with the drift car setup is it makes the cars handle like complete and utter poo poo. The most annoying thing is that my circuit focused cars handle and drift really well, but not in the way the game wants your car to drift, so using it for drifting events is a huge struggle to earn enough points to pass.

SF Rush and Burnout got arcade handling right. Burnout very much had a reckless driving is the meta, edge-of-seat gameplay which is sick as hell when you could pull off huge drifts/burnout chains in oncoming traffic and nail a gold medal with a second to spare.

I dont think NFS Heat did very well and theres a fair bit of backlash after this latest update not fixing the lack of content issue. It seems like the decision was made to make Heat Cross-plat to try and save the game by boosting player base which was good for me and my buddies on PS4 but not so great for people that actually wanted some of the issues with the game fixed. they announced it was the final patch too so the EA forums are very mad about that.

EA buying Speedhunters (a car scene photo blog that is extremely aesthetic and not really motorsport/actual driving focused) was a terrible idea. They provided lots of input on what they thought car people wanted in a game (which was essentially 'lowered suspension and pokey-out wheels'), but what it turned out to be is what Speedhunters fans wanted (pretty cars that look pretty but would be terrible to drive) and have no idea how actual cars feel to drive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

American McGay posted:

Rush 2 is so good.

Just remaster Rush 2049.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Idg burnout from playing the paradise remaster.
The action is constantly being stopped for crash cams in a way i find really distracting, all the races use the same roads over and over, and imo the trailing camera is way too low and its hard to see whats coming over your own car.

But now everyone says 3 is actually the good one so i'll wait for that to get a remaster i guess

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Burnout 2 was the last great "arcade racer". Burnout 3 is probably the most fun game in the series but it certainly feels different and it ushered in the new era of action racers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Idg burnout from playing the paradise remaster.
The action is constantly being stopped for crash cams in a way i find really distracting, all the races use the same roads over and over, and imo the trailing camera is way too low and its hard to see whats coming over your own car.

But now everyone says 3 is actually the good one so i'll wait for that to get a remaster i guess

3 is the best game in the series for sure. You can get burnout revenge on 360 back compat which is almost the same thing except you can crash into same-direction traffic to weaponise them which takes a bit of the danger out of it. There's a few other problems with it but it scratches the itch when I wanna go real fast.

Paradise is a magnificent game but it's not a great burnout game. The gameplay suffers from the open world aspect.

Definitely try Revenge. It looks great on a one X too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Laserface posted:

Definitely try Revenge. It looks great on a one X too.
It's a shame you can't make out any of the detail because of the obnoxious amounts of bloom, motion blur and particle effects (the bloom seems to be toned down a bit on the One X, I captured these off my 360 before they added Revenge to the BC list).

2006, everyone. For comparison's sake, here's what Burnout 3 looks like when played on an Xbox 360:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I owned Burnout 3, the finest puzzle game on the Xbox, but whats this about some sort of "racing" mode in it?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Revenge is miserable visually.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Crash mode became an obnoxious thing by the end of it. Waaaay too many missions and it was too different from the core gameplay. It should have been and did become its own game tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Barudak posted:

I owned Burnout 3, the finest puzzle game on the Xbox, but whats this about some sort of "racing" mode in it?

I played 3 for the first time last year, and I was surprised to find no races from what I played through. I always thought Burnout games were a mix of crash levels, rival takeout races, and normal races. For comparison, the only other Burnout game I've played is Legends on PSP.