Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Decided to do something about this.

So, did you know spackle can mold if it sits too long? Well, now you do.

So, I had to return to the hardware store to get new spackle. I decided to go with one of those "color change when dry" varieties.

It sucked. It was way too thick, so it was a bitch to spread and get it to stick properly, and I ended up using more than I was intending. And it took loving forever to dry.

Going to have to do more sanding than I wanted as well.

Whatever. It's sealed again now and finally finished drying, so we can at least get the walls painted so I can get the shelving back in and start using it. I'll sand and deal with the ceiling later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did a thing:

Mostly done, but ran out of paint and I didn't have any pads for the edgers. Picked those up on Wednesday and I'll probably get that wrapped up in the next day or so so I can start getting the closet organizer installed.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got the rest of the painting done. It looks like the ballast for the overhead in there is shot, and I can't seem to find a wrench to fit them, so it's probably back to the hardware for a set of really small SAE wrenches. Then I can pull the ballast out and get it to the store so I can match a new one.

Once I have that installed and a functioning light again, I'll get some pictures posted as I try to figure out how to reinstall the closet shelving.

Oh, and I'm employed again, so there's at least one depression point gone. I got myself in a bit of trouble financially again though since I was unemployed for 6 months, so I've gotta figure that out.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Nice progress! I had no clue that spackle could mold like that.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In one of my more productive weekends in a while I managed to get the new light installed in the closet.

I'm apparently loving awful at taking pictures to document my progress, so this will have to do for now. I'll take some shots of the finished product at least and post them here in a bit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rooting for ya buddy in tyool 2020

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry for the radio silence, folks, I got pretty sick (looks like it was a flare up of my disease) so I haven't been doing much.

Currently working on getting the house out of foreclosure and set up a repayment plan, being unemployed for 6 months really screwed up my finances.

Also figured out where I'm putting the second light assembly, it looks like the utility room overhead is largely shot so I'm going to be putting it in there. Hopefully in the next week or so.

Also starting to look up directions on getting my "new" hot water dispenser and garbage disposal installed. The house did originally have both (the current dispenser is not flowing though and the disposal was removed) so it should be relatively easy to install.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

One of my terlets was running long, so I did a thing:

Old and busted:

Removed the old line connection and got the nut removed:

Bought this repair kit. I'm just replacing the fill this time and I'll store the other parts to replace later if/when it starts leaking:

And the new fill installed:

This has been bothering my partner and I for a while, so I'm glad I managed to get something accomplished.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A little win like that once in a while is a good thing.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Started a thing:

It'll be nice to be able to actually use this closet again.

Also, adopted this good boy about a week ago.

And I also unfortunately had to say goodbye to one of my cats, she was 18 and got diagnosed with CKD in June, I managed to keep her around for about 9 months before her kidneys checked out.

So, that's 4 pets I've lost in a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a good dog and poor sweet kitty.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That's a good dog and poor sweet kitty.

Thanks.

He's mostly a good boy, he got on my poo poo list for a bit when he did a runner on me on Tuesday, I had to chase him for half a mile before I was able to grab him. Then of course I had to carry the little fucker back since I didn't have time to grab a leash before chasing after him.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Finished a thing.

There's another shelf, but we decided not to install it for now since we want to have a little extra space on the floor for now.

Also this mount isn't quite properly aligned, I'll have to do something about it soon.

Also been working on getting the utility room cleaned up and organized.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate installing that stuff. Good job!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got some repairs done and got the drawers re-installed in my partner's sewing room.

Still need to get the corner cabinets installed, but that's a three-person job so it's gonna have to wait.

Also have to figure out how I'm gonna repair this:

This is the other counter/table surface, one of the dipshits that was helping out with tearing down the sewing room originally decided to brute-force it and loving broke it.

I also need to figure out the doors for the corners, I think the hinges are damaged or something so they'd shifted down and weren't sitting right.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, an embarrassing secret.

I've spent way too much money so far on intricate Star Trek ship models, and all 150 or so of them (so far) have been languishing in totes as I don't have a place to display them.

I started fixing that today.

I'll eventually have some glass display cases in the library where I'll have all of them, but this is a good start. I'll post another pic once I decide what to fill the other slots with.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
God dammit I just realized that they'd periodically show a model of the Enterprise in the Captain's office at least in part as a merchandizing ploy :doh:

That's a good-looking case. I'm guessing pine for the wood, but what kind of finish?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's awesome.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Decided to add some baddies.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

God dammit I just realized that they'd periodically show a model of the Enterprise in the Captain's office at least in part as a merchandizing ploy :doh:

That's a good-looking case. I'm guessing pine for the wood, but what kind of finish?

No idea, it's been sitting around for years. Probably just a varnish.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Also have to figure out how I'm gonna repair this:

It's all particle board and really not worth trying to repair. I suppose if you think a replacement wouldn't fit in with all the other particle board, then I suggest leaning into it and making it contrast. Maybe a surface covered in cork, or cutting mat material, or something else that would be useful in a sewing room? Just cut plywood to the right shape, and then surface it with whatever, and drop it into place.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It's all particle board and really not worth trying to repair. I suppose if you think a replacement wouldn't fit in with all the other particle board, then I suggest leaning into it and making it contrast. Maybe a surface covered in cork, or cutting mat material, or something else that would be useful in a sewing room? Just cut plywood to the right shape, and then surface it with whatever, and drop it into place.

I was thinking about drilling some dowels and putting it back together that way, it doesn't really need to be seperateable at all.

If we ever get past social distancing I'll probably have my dad come down and check it out, we should be able to find a good solution.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Can you not just glue that section and use the remaining 3 clamps to secure it? Doesn't look structural so its just to keep the edges together.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

I was thinking about drilling some dowels and putting it back together that way, it doesn't really need to be seperateable at all.

If we ever get past social distancing I'll probably have my dad come down and check it out, we should be able to find a good solution.

You can try, but drilling into particle board sucks, especially with a hand drill, you're likely to just get a crater rather than a neat hole. If you can manage it, some dowels might hold it all together.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Can you not just glue that section and use the remaining 3 clamps to secure it? Doesn't look structural so its just to keep the edges together.

It's a corner so there's probably some forces involved in the middle of it. I was kind of considering taking the broken pieces and gluing them back in as I can, that may help at least a bit. Hell, I could probably get a piece of board and cut it too, it's not like the shapes that broke out are all that complex.

Leperflesh posted:

You can try, but drilling into particle board sucks, especially with a hand drill, you're likely to just get a crater rather than a neat hole. If you can manage it, some dowels might hold it all together.

I think my dad has a drill press. Hell, I think I've got a drill press frame sitting around somewhere. If I use the right bit or series of bits it should work okay, my main concern is you've got to be REAL careful to make sure the holes are exactly in alignment or it all goes to poo poo.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Can you not just screw a small sheet of MDF or something on the underside across the join? Half a dozen screws on each side and maybe some glue for good luck and that shouldn’t go anywhere.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not mdf, for the love of God.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

cakesmith handyman posted:

"For the love of God, Montresor!"

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

So 'something else' it is then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheMightyHandful posted:

So 'something else' it is then.

What about a large metal plate across the seam underneath?

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

“Whatever junk you have kicking about in your garage” might have been better. In practice I suspect it’ll be under about zero stress when all buttons up so anything stronger than cardboard ought to suffice.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NoSpoon posted:

“Whatever junk you have kicking about in your garage” might have been better. In practice I suspect it’ll be under about zero stress when all buttons up so anything stronger than cardboard ought to suffice.

So not MDF, we agree.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, after jerking me around and ignoring my multiple forbearance/payment plan requests, the lender has decided to set a sale date for the house.

It's in October, so I have time. I've filed for probate so I can transfer the deed, and then I'm planning to finance through another lender so I can just tell them to go gently caress themselves and move on.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Ah gently caress that’s lovely. gently caress banks.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

MikeyTsi posted:

So, after jerking me around and ignoring my multiple forbearance/payment plan requests, the lender has decided to set a sale date for the house.

It's in October, so I have time. I've filed for probate so I can transfer the deed, and then I'm planning to finance through another lender so I can just tell them to go gently caress themselves and move on.

Well... that really sucks. Sorry to hear that. It's been a rollercoaster for you :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sounds like banks alright. I got the same kind of runaround trying to buy a short sale property years ago when the owners had already destroyed and abandoned it. I still refuse to do business with that bank.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did my filing, my proposed order was signed by the judge so I just need to get certified copies of my letters and then I can do the Deed!

Funny story. The bank that is currently foreclosing sent a refinance ad/offer thing that would cut my interest rate down to like 2% and would cut the monthly payment down by more than half. Yeah, guys, I was trying to get poo poo figured out with your servicer for 6 months.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Banks with huge bureaucratic disasters in the way of getting literally anything done are both our worst enemies and their own worst enemies. At least you're making progress on getting it fixed one way or the other.

E: same thing goes for insurance companies. My insurance company was too hidebound to change my rates to match my newly shiny driving record a number of years after I stopped getting equipment violations, but was happy to create a completely new account and policy for me and my wife that had another car and another driver on it and cost less than half what I'd been paying before. Thanks I guess?

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 12, 2020

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got my letters today.

That was pretty quick. Next step, get the deed notarized and recorded, and then the house is officially mine. Then to get the financing bullshit sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Someone up the street that's working on getting their life together has been doing yard work around the house and it's nice, dude definitely has a talent for it.

It's really exposed how terrible the fence has gotten on the south side though. As soon as I have financing sorted and know I won't have to blow my savings on stuff I'm going to have to pretty much immediately tear that all down and rebuild it.

As far as house stuff, I DID manage to get out and get the latches for the deteriorating gates re-worked, since the wood is going bad the screws weren't attaching right, so I bought machine screws long enough to go all the way through so they're now secure. No more cinder blocks to hold the gates closed.

Dude also wants the wood from the woodpile, so once he clears that out I'll be able to pull of the back wall of that storage area and get that stump pulled out.

And he knows a roofing guy, who is working on a quote to rebuild the roof on the shed.

And he knows a hot tub guy, so hopefully I'll be able to get that fixed and going in the fall.