Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Munkaboo posted:

For you heat gun roasters how do you ensure consistency across batches? Do you use a temperature gun on the beans?

Some people use probes (eg Type K probes). I hear a good way is using a Phidget and using artisan software and that'll show you the heat curves over time.

I'm wondering myself if it is worth the effort, I'm new to heat guns as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is also the one that I have had for a couple of years.

Unless you're looking for one that has features like a timer any cheap one will do. I kind of just eye ball things nowadays though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is the Hario the best basic upgrade option?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I imagine this has been covered somewhere in the 340 pages but there's also an awful lot of results in search for 'milk'.

I have one of these but the pump has died out of warranty so I'm about to receive one of these. Reviews mention the automatic milk foaming/texturing thing being really good so it got me thinking about whether I have been sabotaging my efforts when I've been using semi-skimmed milk (1.7% fat). How much of a big deal is this when it comes to milk texture?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Anjow posted:

I imagine this has been covered somewhere in the 340 pages but there's also an awful lot of results in search for 'milk'.

I have one of these but the pump has died out of warranty so I'm about to receive one of these. Reviews mention the automatic milk foaming/texturing thing being really good so it got me thinking about whether I have been sabotaging my efforts when I've been using semi-skimmed milk (1.7% fat). How much of a big deal is this when it comes to milk texture?

Do you mean semi-skimmed vs. full fat? If so, I steam both pretty often and don't honestly notice much difference in how they texture, full-fat might be slightly better at making dense cappucino style foam. FWIW the Sage you linked has a proper steaming tip vs. the training wheels one on the DeLonghi. It's much more capable at getting latte art quality foam but takes a bit of practice to get the technique down. With the Delonghi you just shove the tip into the milk and you get foam but you don't have any control over the texture.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Red_Fred posted:

Is the Hario the best basic upgrade option?

It looks like the only upgrade on the Hario is a built-in timer and maybe more attractive than the cheaper scale. I wouldn't worry about a timer because we all have an expensive phone with a timer feature. My oven also has a timer in the kitchen.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

James Hoffman apparently approves of the Sage Duo temp (linked below) but I've read around that it's a good idea to spend $1000 rather than these cheaper machines. Is it really such a big difference?

For info, currently I'm roasting beans using a heat gun/dog bowl, grinding with a Baratza Encore and using an aeropress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GB2JVD7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

the_lion posted:

James Hoffman apparently approves of the Sage Duo temp (linked below) but I've read around that it's a good idea to spend $1000 rather than these cheaper machines. Is it really such a big difference?

For info, currently I'm roasting beans using a heat gun/dog bowl, grinding with a Baratza Encore and using an aeropress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GB2JVD7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

If you're already home roasting then you've already hit on the best this you can do to get consistently good coffee, which is having access to freshly roasted (and potentially diverse) coffee beans.

That said, I would say the quality of the grinder would be a better return on investment than improving the brewing device-- surely you need to balance that with wanting to experiment with espresso and not having some crazy expensive grinder and your aeropress still.

I think rancilio has a good reputation for entry-level espresso makers, should check them out:
https://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/rancilio-silvia-v6-e-2020-last-edition.html

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

ALSO:

I got a profitec pro 300 as my first espresso machine because I convinced myself I had to have a dual boiler system. For the first year or two I had it I consistently used the steam wand and made drinks with the steamed milk. Now my family has grown and I don't have the time required to make those drinks (I instead spend the time to mass the grinds before brewing, as well as dialing in after swabbing beans). Now the go-to drinks are either americanos with the hot water from the boiler or even sometimes a breve (which is just espresso + half & half).

I mention this because as you spend more money you're adding a lot to the quality of that steaming device and the recovery of the machine between pulling shots and steaming. The question is-- what types of coffee drinks do you consume? How important is that to you? I think a lot of folks would chime in that a rancilio silvia with a PID is going to pull some real decent shots, especially with quality beans and a quality grinder.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I bought a 3-qt (96oz) dog bowl and roasted about 180g of coffee in it last night. I had a really tough time getting a consistent roast vs my smaller 32oz bowl. Maybe just practice? Or just use more beans.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kemikalkadet posted:

FWIW the Sage you linked has a proper steaming tip vs. the training wheels one on the DeLonghi. It's much more capable at getting latte art quality foam but takes a bit of practice to get the technique down. With the Delonghi you just shove the tip into the milk and you get foam but you don't have any control over the texture.

I got it today and this made all the difference, with semi-skimmed milk. I'd seen in reviews that the automatic milk texturing on this one was good and when I made my first one it was like I'd had at decent coffee places, miles ahead of my last machine.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

milkman dad posted:

ALSO:

I got a profitec pro 300 as my first espresso machine because I convinced myself I had to have a dual boiler system. For the first year or two I had it I consistently used the steam wand and made drinks with the steamed milk. Now my family has grown and I don't have the time required to make those drinks (I instead spend the time to mass the grinds before brewing, as well as dialing in after swabbing beans). Now the go-to drinks are either americanos with the hot water from the boiler or even sometimes a breve (which is just espresso + half & half).

I mention this because as you spend more money you're adding a lot to the quality of that steaming device and the recovery of the machine between pulling shots and steaming. The question is-- what types of coffee drinks do you consume? How important is that to you? I think a lot of folks would chime in that a rancilio silvia with a PID is going to pull some real decent shots, especially with quality beans and a quality grinder.

Thanks for the info!
I'm a bit confused by the specs, does that rancilio Silvia have the PID built in or is that an extra thing you need to install?

The dual boiler also confuses me, all I know is that it makes it more like a commercial machine.

Mostly, I'm drinking Long blacks, cappuccinos and mochas but looking to try expresso.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like the only upgrade on the Hario is a built-in timer and maybe more attractive than the cheaper scale. I wouldn't worry about a timer because we all have an expensive phone with a timer feature. My oven also has a timer in the kitchen.

Just to close this loop I got a small 0.1g scale that also has a timer for half the price of the Hario!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Red_Fred posted:

Just to close this loop I got a small 0.1g scale that also has a timer for half the price of the Hario!

are you my manager???

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Anjow posted:

I got it today and this made all the difference, with semi-skimmed milk. I'd seen in reviews that the automatic milk texturing on this one was good and when I made my first one it was like I'd had at decent coffee places, miles ahead of my last machine.

Man i have a bambino too and i like it but i have one consistent issue:

The flow of liquid out of the two spouts of the portafilter is almost never even. I have tried to ensure the mound of grounds is balanced out before tamping (it is not clumpy) but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It's annoying because I want to make two single shots in the morning and it almost never works out.

Another issue is I cannot get the type of milk texture I want. Auto or manual it makes a big mountain of fine bubbles but the milk itself is still very thin. This is my first time streaming milk so I am doing it wrong I guess.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You gotta get that milk moving in a whirlpool fashion. It took me a little while practicing with it before I could get it to happen consistently.
You just have to keep re-positioning your milk jug until you find that sweet spot where it swirls around.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

other people posted:

Man i have a bambino too and i like it but i have one consistent issue:

The flow of liquid out of the two spouts of the portafilter is almost never even. I have tried to ensure the mound of grounds is balanced out before tamping (it is not clumpy) but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It's annoying because I want to make two single shots in the morning and it almost never works out.

Another issue is I cannot get the type of milk texture I want. Auto or manual it makes a big mountain of fine bubbles but the milk itself is still very thin. This is my first time streaming milk so I am doing it wrong I guess.

I don't know what you're doing wrong but I have only used it twice and not had either of those issues. Filled the portafilter and used that 'razor' thing to level it off and the flow was fine, had the milk thing set on medium temperature medium foam and it was lovely and velvety.

I am not in love with the automatic steam wand purge, it splatters milky water everywhere.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

other people posted:

are you my manager???

I can be, yes.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey what's a good gooseneck electric kettle? I really don't want to spend $150 on the fancy one that BA loves, and even this relatively more affordable option is still seventy loving dollars for a thing that boils water. I get that the temp control and whatnot is good to have for pourovers and obviously that means it'll be more expensive than whatever plastic thing from Target I'm currently using, but I still feel like I'm being had.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

prayer group posted:

Hey what's a good gooseneck electric kettle? I really don't want to spend $150 on the fancy one that BA loves, and even this relatively more affordable option is still seventy loving dollars for a thing that boils water. I get that the temp control and whatnot is good to have for pourovers and obviously that means it'll be more expensive than whatever plastic thing from Target I'm currently using, but I still feel like I'm being had.

I bought this one and I like it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P15ZL3V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JU74EbDV5Z1HB

It doesn’t have temperature control but after watching a few James Hoffman guides I came to the conclusion that I don’t need it and I don’t miss it. It pours well and boils fast. Easy to get inside and clean if you feel like it. No plastic touches the water though the base did smell like a beach ball the first few times I used it (not the water, just the plastic base getting warm). If I do want temp control I just bring water to a boil, take the lid off, stick a thermometer in it, and let it cool until it’s at the temp I want.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Here's what I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YR0F40/

Currently going for $65, but I managed to nab it for $45 back in 2019 so you can likely get it on sale for a decent price.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is what I have also, it works fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use the Bonavita too. My first one rusted and I threw it away after a few years. But my second has been a champ. This time I opted for the cheaper one without temp control since I only use it for coffee.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I use the Bonavita too. My first one rusted and I threw it away after a few years. But my second has been a champ. This time I opted for the cheaper one without temp control since I only use it for coffee.

Bonavita sent me a new one after two years when it got some rust. Just fyi.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The Bodum kettle is nicer looking and less bulky so I'm gonna go for that one. Thanks yall!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I have one by Krups and it’s great.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've been using the OXO Gooseneck kettle for 8 months or so and it's been great. I like the sturdy handle design way better than the previous Bonavita's I've used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KHPS7F

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love coffee but I ain't paying $100 for a pouring kettle

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I love coffee and I definitely paid $100 for a pouring kettle.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Just out of curiosity, are these Ode grinders and the Stagg EKG kettle any good? I like the design, but I saw a bunch of ads for them for a few weeks and it makes me wonder if they're actual quality machines or kickstarter rush jobs.

I did the M2 burr upgrade on the Encore today, and there's even less fines and silt in the brew. Amazing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have been using the Stagg EKG since last year. It’s excellent.

Edit: The Ode isn’t out yet.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Seconding the Stagg and I do love using it the most. That being said, I only have it because I got it as a gift and there's no way I'd buy it over the Bonavita since it's not worth the more than double price tag increase.

Still using a Virtuoso for pour-over and not sure if there's anything else I need to get grinder wise for real returns :shrug: . I've considered a Niche Zero because of all the Hoffmann videos but not really in a rush.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I've been keeping track of the beans that I'm buying. After about a month, I've tried eight different products. I've compared prices (per kg) and it turns out that the beans that I like the most, are the least expensive ones (autralian medium roast). The ones I liked least, turned out to be by far the most expensive ones (illy brazilian). This is a satisfying result.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

So I've been keeping track of the beans that I'm buying. After about a month, I've tried eight different products. I've compared prices (per kg) and it turns out that the beans that I like the most, are the least expensive ones (autralian medium roast). The ones I liked least, turned out to be by far the most expensive ones (illy brazilian). This is a satisfying result.

Your first mistake is buying Illy beans.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
yeah in spain at least every other generic cafe uses illy and you know it will never be a good drink :/. but at least it ain't torrefacto i guess

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

illy sucks rear end, so that much isn't surprising

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never bought the beans but I've been to Illy cafes and the cappucinos were solid. Overpriced maybe. They pretend to be specialty coffee but it's more like just above Peet's but with better decoration.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Slowly losing my mind waiting for the MaraX to come back in stock. :psyduck:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

red19fire posted:

I’ve been using the same metal pour over filter for several years. (I think it was by Hario but it’s similar to this one) I keep it clean, soap and water after every use, occasional dishwasher cycle. Lately, it completely clogs up about halfway through the pour process. It flows fine for the first minute, then slows to a drop at a time until it stops entirely with 1/4 of the water left in the basket.

At first I thought it was scale, so I soaked it in vinegar overnight, with no change. I then thought it was my consumer tier kitchenaid grinder putting too much fine grounds into the mix so I tried my hand grinder at a similar setting, same thing.

Of course, I think it’s a great excuse to get a new grinder, but what else could it be? Do metal filters just go bad?

Or, maybe I shouldn’t clean it with soap anymore?

Update: I tried pourover again with the baratza grinder, and it's the same story with way better coffee in the carafe. The metal filter still clogs up about half way through the process. The coffee that does get through is great, but half of it stays in the filter basket past the 6 minute mark.

I'm going to try going more and more coarse, but I'm starting to think it's the filter itself reaching the end of its service life, or the beans could be the likely culprit. I'm using Costco organic dark roast beans mainly just to test out different grind settings and refine the process so I don't waste good beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Staying at am Airbnb. They roast and grind their own coffee every day. Bonavita as the drip machine, chemex and French press in the cupboard. And the coffee they provided is an extra fine grind, like for espresso. The bonavita immediately clogged and would not drain. French press doesn't use fine grind. I've never used a chemex, does it use a fine grind?