Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah I’m in this one. I picked the best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Vader as a tiny hologram???

ESB book should be better than the last because it won't be stuck in the desert/cantina for ~10 straight stories. Some of them were quite good but there's only so much moisture to be farmed.

If they're recycling October 2017 ideas I'd love to see another tall tales book like The Legends of Luke Skywalker.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Finally. The Willrow-Hood-delivering-ice-cream story we've been waiting 40 years to read.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Battuta posted:

Um, who are you? Have you said before? Are you allowed to say?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Dak? DAK!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If it's like the first book, it won't be limited to ESB characters. Remember that the original featured such classic ANH characters as Palpatine, Yoda, Qui-Gon, Dr. Aphra, Boba Fett, and the Speaker of the Whills.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Are we gonna find out another high ranking Imperial officer is boning stormtroopers on the side?

Also, is there a release date for it yet?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I picked the Star Destroyer captain who gets vaporized by an asteroid mid holo-conference and no one gives a poo poo. The story is as banal and mumbly and uncomfortable as I could make it. Nothing happens. It was heavily inspired by covert recordings of Nazi officer POWs, the kind of stuff they'd talk about among themselves while they thought no one could hear them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You're not allowed to refer to the "dreaded IMPERIAL STARFLEET" as the Starfleet even though it's right in the Empire opening crawl because it's considered too Star Trek.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

General Battuta posted:

You're not allowed to refer to the "dreaded IMPERIAL STARFLEET" as the Starfleet even though it's right in the Empire opening crawl because it's considered too Star Trek.

Man, gently caress that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

General Battuta posted:

That's crazy, because I know Lucas explicitly did not like the term "Imperial Navy" back when he saw it used in the TIE Fighter game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

If it's like the first book, it won't be limited to ESB characters. Remember that the original featured such classic ANH characters as Palpatine, Yoda, Qui-Gon, Dr. Aphra, Boba Fett, and the Speaker of the Whills.

Well, Fett is technically an ANH character now since he got added in the special edition.

But yeah, it's based on the time of the film, not just the people on screen in it.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Wendig is descending to Traviss level self-absorbed awfulness

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OctoberCountry posted:

Wendig is descending to Traviss level self-absorbed awfulness

Are you referring to the current drama of him not wanting his works to be pirated, and to receive fair compensation for his books? Cause the Internet Archive was 100% in the wrong on that one.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Why? Is this about the internet archive thing? I don't really want my books being given away to unlimited numbers of people for free...I'm close to earning out, I'd like to see royalties some day. Just a couple thousand more sales would make a huge difference to my life.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/6/12/21289246/star-wars-squadrons-project-maverick-leak

Star Wars fighter squadron game? Yes please!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That could be a good, though I really hope that it goes beyond just the original trilogy era... not holding my breath on that, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I could see them Games-As-A-Servicing it. Launch it with OT content, roll out PT and ST later on

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

jivjov posted:

I could see them Games-As-A-Servicing it. Launch it with OT content, roll out PT and ST later on

gently caress yeah let me buy anime pinup ewoks to paint on my wings.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yub-yub, Commander.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

cptn_dr posted:

Yub-yub, Commander.

:hmmyes:

Give me some ability to either go Wraith or Bacta War-customized Rogue Squadron and they can have all my cash credits.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

fartknocker posted:

:hmmyes:

Give me some ability to either go Wraith or Bacta War-customized Rogue Squadron and they can have all my cash credits.

I demand the ability to paint my X-Wing as a work of art, but only visible in the infrared spectrum.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Are you referring to the current drama of him not wanting his works to be pirated, and to receive fair compensation for his books? Cause the Internet Archive was 100% in the wrong on that one.

Tweeting out support to get the website shut down and then hiding behind the "it's not my fault it's the publishers!" defense when people call him out still means he's an rear end in a top hat. He's a thin skinned prick on social media who is quick to make blanket claims about criticism of his work based on the behaviour of the worst people mad at him as if that absolves him of any criticism for his mediocre writing ability.

Piracy rarely takes away from actual sales figures. What it does do is take a bite out of hypothetical sales figures, which scares the poo poo out of capitalist businesses because they're obsessed with the unsustainable concept of infinite growth. So piracy is an easy scapegoat to blame when sales plateau rather than admitting you've vastly overstated the value of your product.

And considering the way corporations want to claw back any sense of ownership a consumer might have for a product they've bought, I'm never going to argue against piracy. gently caress the capitalist who says "that's mine" after I've paid for it. You already have my money I'm not giving you more because you're a greedy shithead.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 13, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tweeting out support to get the website shut down and then hiding behind the "it's not my fault it's the publishers!" defense when people call him out still means he's an rear end in a top hat. He's a thin skinned prick on social media who is quick to make blanket claims about criticism of his work based on the behaviour of the worst people mad at him as if that absolves him of any criticism for his mediocre writing ability.

He never wanted the internet archive shut down. Just for them to stop pirating contemporary works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

He never wanted the internet archive shut down. Just for them to stop pirating contemporary works.

Too bad for him. He can go gently caress himself because his support helped get the website shut down. Maybe he should think before he says something stupid online, except he's shown he's not capable of that kind of introspection because he is, as I said, a thin skinned prick who is quick to cast blame when he gets called out for being a jackass.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Too bad for him. He can go gently caress himself because his support helped get the website shut down. Maybe he should think before he says something stupid online, except he's shown he's not capable of that kind of introspection because he is, as I said, a thin skinned prick who is quick to cast blame when he gets called out for being a jackass.

What's stupid about not wanting his (and other author's) work stolen and pirated with no compensation?

E: also I just checked, the internet archive has not been shut down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He does not deserve your defense of his actions. He can gently caress off and make an rear end of himself without the need for star wars book defenders coming to his aid.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
The Venn diagram of people who uphold Disney placemats as canon and people who stan for intellectual property rights as written by media conglomerates is a perfect circle. Won't someone think of the publishers and media giants? How much longer must the world bend to the whims of libraries performing public services in the midst of global catastrophes?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Not to mention that giant publishing corporations behind the lawsuit disrupting a legitimately useful online resource, further lining their own pockets, and potentially setting legal precedent that shuts down all digital book lending isn't actually going to lead to better pay and fair treatment of authors.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Van Dis posted:

The Venn diagram of people who uphold Disney placemats as canon and people who stan for intellectual property rights as written by media conglomerates is a perfect circle. Won't someone think of the publishers and media giants? How much longer must the world bend to the whims of libraries performing public services in the midst of global catastrophes?

Literally nobody is attacking libraries here. Libraries pay for the copies they lend out. The Internet Archive was just giving up free downloads in a free-for-all. Nobody would have had a problem with what the IA was doing it they had bought a certain number of copies and lent those out like a library.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

He does not deserve your defense of his actions. He can gently caress off and make an rear end of himself without the need for star wars book defenders coming to his aid.

This has nothing to do with Star Wars, or even his books in particular. Sorry you hate the idea of authors getting compensated for their works so much.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

The Internet Archive was just giving up free downloads in a free-for-all.

This is a completely disingenuous framing of what the Internet archive was doing. The National Emergency Library was a temporary service that was introduced during an unprecedented global pandemic. It limited users to checking out a single book at a time and gave authors the ability to opt-out of having their books available on the service.

Was it the smartest thing to do given the notorious litigiousness of mass media conglomerates? No, but let's not act like it was the loving Pirate Bay.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
No one is swayed by You Must Hate Artists Getting Paid line, please drop it and engage with some actual nuance. To wit: publishing houses are not fighting to restrict access to materials out of concern for the authors - any benefits to the authors are an ancillary consideration for them, at best. They are fighting to retain as much control of published works as possible and to make as much money as possible. They have written the intellectual property laws and copyright laws. They would absolutely privatize the concept of public libraries given half a chance, and every instance of litigation on their part (including this one) to restrict access to materials is part of their ongoing effort to pursue profits. The original claim includes the phrase "violence to the Copyright Act" in case you need a reminder of what you're standing in front of.

It is ghoulish the year of our Luigi 2020 to support giant publishing houses and media conglomerates because even if the incredibly one-sided IP laws were broken the real consequence is fewer consumer rights and greater corporate rights. If your analysis of "these authors are mad because they think they are losing income as their works are loaned freely in a time of world crisis" doesn't recognize the overwhelming power of corporate rights in play here than I'm afraid your analysis look like a dishrag.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

This is a completely disingenuous framing of what the Internet archive was doing. The National Emergency Library was a temporary service that was introduced during an unprecedented global pandemic. It limited users to checking out a single book at a time and gave authors the ability to opt-out of having their books available on the service.

Was it the smartest thing to do given the notorious litigiousness of mass media conglomerates? No, but let's not act like it was the loving Pirate Bay.

And an important point that should be emphasized is that they did buy the books that they manually scanned and converted into ebooks.

Under normal circumstances they limit the amount of loans to however many copies of the particular book they have. Agreed that it was a dumb move legally to remove that limit, but hell they did it precisely because of so many libraries being closed due to a once in a lifetime circumstance and I can't fault them for it morally.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I want to get paid for my books. I definitely want people to have to drop at least 2.99 to get an ebook, so I can get fractionally closer to seeing royalties and maybe buying health insurance one day. If someone's giving my book away for free I want them to stop.

I also want the overworked editors and designers and publicity women (publishing is built on the overwork of young women) to get paid for investing in my book. I got a great cover and great interior design and some nice marketing thanks to their work. They can't afford to live here, they need to get paid too.

If the Internet Archive deprives me of, say, two hundred sales that's a substantively bad thing for me. Book sales numbers are so small that two hundred is actually quite a lot.

It sure is an unprecedented pandemic—my partner lost her job and health insurance, I lost my health insurance and am in a high risk group. I need the money! Don't give my book away for free!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Y'all are attacking Chuck Wendig for saying "hey please don't steal my poo poo" and blaming the publisher's lawsuits on him. HE'S NOT THE ONE SUING ANYONE. He didn't want his work stolen. That's it. Sorry y'all hate the idea of an author getting compensated for their work so badly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh thanks for the new loving avatar. Guess I'll contribute to lowtax's spine fund and fix it

E:love how whoever bought this for me managed to completely miss the point that I'm defending the rights of an author to get paid, not the publishing house or the license holder. You know Wendig's written more stuff than just star wars books, right?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 13, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Devaluing books and giving them out for free is the strategy of the biggest and most insanely evil media conglomerate of them all. Amazon would be deliriously happy if all the Big Five publishers went under and we all got our books through Kindle Unlimited.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

I want to get paid for my books. I definitely want people to have to drop at least 2.99 to get an ebook, so I can get fractionally closer to seeing royalties and maybe buying health insurance one day. If someone's giving my book away for free I want them to stop.

I also want the overworked editors and designers and publicity women (publishing is built on the overwork of young women) to get paid for investing in my book. I got a great cover and great interior design and some nice marketing thanks to their work. They can't afford to live here, they need to get paid too.

If the Internet Archive deprives me of, say, two hundred sales that's a substantively bad thing for me. Book sales numbers are so small that two hundred is actually quite a lot.

It sure is an unprecedented pandemic—my partner lost her job and health insurance, I lost my health insurance and am in a high risk group. I need the money! Don't give my book away for free!

Yo, link me to your stuff, imma buy a book from you right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's called 'The Traitor Baru Cormorant' but it's pretty heavy, kind of a sad book. If you're not in the mood for that.

I have a science fiction book coming out sometime next year assuming the entire process doesn't melt down. Been waiting for months to get my advance on that, it's stuck in the gears somewhere.