Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

he was too fast for me to get my phone out but i spotted a hefty 3' king snake on my bike ride yesterday. lucky i spotted him in time at all since he was right in the middle of the trail!

e; this is like my third terrible snipe of the morning :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Saw a European Hornet queen today. Again, no time to take pictures, it just wouldn't hold still. :(

But goddamn, girl was enormous. At least one and a half inches, the size of a small female stag beetle. Never seen one that big before. I think she was looking for nesting opportunities, she kept checking out every crevice or sheltered corner that could conceivably hold one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Please be more respectful, they're sensitive about their size

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Freshly molted 3rd instar Callosamia promethea. The first two instars are zebra striped communal feeders, 3rd instar they get new colors, new horns, and new behaviors, and strike out on their own.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Slo-Tek posted:

Freshly molted 3rd instar Callosamia promethea. The first two instars are zebra striped communal feeders, 3rd instar they get new colors, new horns, and new behaviors, and strike out on their own.

Are you still doing that thing where you're trying to breed silk moth super giants by raising them in a hyperoxic environment?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Mak0rz posted:

Are you still doing that thing where you're trying to breed silk moth super giants by raising them in a hyperoxic environment?

Not at the moment, still have the rig up for it, but have been busy on other projects for the last couple years. Did see a good 15% increase in maximum size over 3 generations though. (and a really unfortunate rise in mortality, oxygen is hard on a body).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Found this sparrow (?) egg on a stump in my backyard this morning. I'm not sure how it could have fallen from a nest without breaking and I doubt it was laid there intentionally. A mystery!

I considered trying to incubate it myself but my wife vetoed that.

Boy, I need to moisturize my hands more.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Incubating eggs is a woman's job

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sparrow eggs are very light. If the ground is soft enough, they can fall from fairly great heights without breaking. I found a complete nest including two unhatched eggs once that had fallen out of a tree on a windy day. Still have it, actually.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Found a bunch of extremely cool sexton beetles (Nicrophorus vespillo) aggregated inside a tree hole where some tiny animal has died. Probably a slug but so decomped and mushy so who knows.

Interesting mating behaviours among this genus. Males find a cadaver, call ladies with pheromones to mate and cadaver will serve as larval food. After mating the male will ofc want to call more ladies, which he will do until he gets physically reprimanded by the mated female.

Both male and female care for their larva, provisioning and guarding them in the cadaver they both bury.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 2, 2020

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I helped a sluggish bee off the sidewalk the other day.

She seemed to appreciate the sugar water, but once I put her back outside she just sort of flailed her legs and didn't fly away. I left her in the shade and she was gone when I checked later on, so I'm just going to tell myself she was fine after a rest.

Looks like one of the raven chicks under the nearby overpass didn't make it. :smith:

Developing feathers are weird.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No kidding. Wow, that looks creepy.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Went on a hike today. Didn't see much (mostly other hikers' dogs) and most of what I did see flew off too quickly to get a shot of.
I did get the wood pecker. He waddled to the other side of the tree when I got too close.

There was also this little chipmunk:

She was obviously used to humans, and wanted me to toss some food. I did not (nut shells don't count, right?)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That looks like a pileated woodpecker, they’re awesome and bold as brass when they want to be

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Great Basin Collared Lizard (Crotaphytus bicinctores)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

the yeti posted:

That looks like a pileated woodpecker, they’re awesome and bold as brass when they want to be

I saw one yesterday and it's always a highlight of my day. They're very large for those who aren't familiar with them and they have a pretty goofy call. They can also make quite a racket on utility poles.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The biggest peckers are the loudest peckers.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Related:

Sex Skeleton posted:

It’s a Pileated Woodpecker! I only see those guys in the backcountry when I’m hiking. Woodpeckers have a brain case that’s reinforced because they slam their heads against trees all day to signal reproductive fitness. Their tongues also wrap around and behind their brain inside their heads.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If Pileated Woodpeckers had elbows, they could lick them no problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I saw a baby gator (easily less than a foot long, I'd guess six to eight inches) play its part in the circle of life today, courtesy of a great blue heron.

That heron's a beast. I see him (pretty sure it's a him courtesy of its breeding plumage) on my lunchtime walks down to the lake next to where I work every day, and just a few days ago I saw him eat a gallinule chick that wandered too close.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A huge spindly spider has adopted my back door area where the bugs get in when i put the dogs out at night and he's only got 6 legs so at first I wrote him off as a faker but now he's got a whole collection of earwig trophies dangling there around the worst, dumbest web ive ever seen and frankly I'm still not convinced this isn't some kind of insect humor at my expense but if this weird dumb insect identifies as a spider I'll do my best to respect its wishes as long as it stays in one spot and continues to defend the homestead against invaders

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He is your vassal now, treat him well and he will reward you with loyalty.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

poverty goat posted:

A huge spindly spider has adopted my back door area where the bugs get in when i put the dogs out at night and he's only got 6 legs so at first I wrote him off as a faker but now he's got a whole collection of earwig trophies dangling there around the worst, dumbest web ive ever seen and frankly I'm still not convinced this isn't some kind of insect humor at my expense but if this weird dumb insect identifies as a spider I'll do my best to respect its wishes as long as it stays in one spot and continues to defend the homestead against invaders

Cool. Does it look like this?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

joat mon posted:

Cool. Does it look like this?

too many legs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Same family. That's pholcid, or cellar spider. In some regions people call them daddy longlegs (not to be confused with the non-spider harvestman with the same nickname).

drat it's legs are broken in such a way that it actually looks like it's supposed to have six. Weird.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

next molt may restore spider to 8-leggedness, I think most spiders can regrow them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that type tends to lose them all the time, what with how oversized and fragile they are. They grow back fine.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
https://imgur.com/a/0n7JlJ0

Just had a really stupid dinosaur come by on her way back to the pond after laying some eggs.

She decided to jump off every retaining wall in this photo:

Biggest snapping turtle I've ever seen. Saw her in the backyard just before going on her tumbling adventure. Had its neck craned up and my first thought was about how sad, someone's lost giant tortoise.
Had a neck like a snake and refused to move the 4 feet to the north to just avoid all the falls, so I put down the few things I had on hand to cushion the fall onto the concrete level.

Stopped a couple of cars and made sure she made it to the pond across the street.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:kimchi:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Over the winter I noticed a happy little bird couple moved into a birdhouse left by the previous owner of my home (I moved in in September.)

Not entirely sure what kind of birds they are, other than small and light brown. Maybe a kind of thrush or sparrow?

Heard some noises when I was checking on my garden yesterday, and wouldn't you know it, they started a family:
https://i.imgur.com/yYXuHeT.mp4

I assume mom (and dad? do they dads stick around after the eggs hatch?) were off getting food. I'll make sure to do my best to not disturb them, don't want the parents to abandon the nest (Is that a concern? My garden is maybe 6-7' from the birdhouse, which is just above my head level, so maybe 6.5' off the ground.)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Aaahhhh he's so tiny :3: it looks like when toddlers reach that "head too big for their bodies" stage lol

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Any bird nerds who can help me ID this little dude? Owyhee mountain rangeland, southwest Idaho.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not a birder but: maybe a juvenile Sprague's Pipit? I'm just going from that feather pattern with the dark center and then the white edges.

Here's a juvenile

from https://identify.whatbird.com/obj/370/overview/spragues_pipit.aspx

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Nice. I'd lean toward American Pipit since we're pretty far removed from the Sprague's native range. The Owyhee's aren't exactly part of A. rubescens breeding range but I can't come up with any better ideas, so thank you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah sure, yeah that could fit too. American Pipit wasn't listed here:
https://www.whatbird.com/birdexpert/statecolorsize/5/6418/306/2070/45/birdexpert.aspx
so I didn't look at it.
although it would have helped if I put in Idaho instead of Ohio, lol!

found some guy's image of what he identified as a baby American Pipit that looks pretty close around the beak area:

http://northernillinoisbirder.blogspot.com/2012/11/american-pipit-mt-baker-wilderness-wa.html

Although this one has darker plumage, might be a second molt, or could be misidentified.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 9, 2020

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
BABY SPIDERS!!!

I tried to convince them to stay but in a few hours they were gone.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Do you know if they "ballooned" away? I always thought that was a great way to leave a conversation.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Yeah, I caught three of them flying away before I had to leave for work. So adorable!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Red Queen posted:

Do you know if they "ballooned" away? I always thought that was a great way to leave a conversation.
"So long, bitches! Spiderling out. Wheeeeeee..."

It's always fun to see balls of Araneus orb weaver spiderlings. Unlike the grown spiders, they are bright yellow. They have a tendency to cluster together in these really dense blobs of spider and burst apart when something startles them. Then they cuddle back together. It's adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

These birds build a nest in this post every year, but this is the first time I've seen a baby brave enough to pop out!
(This is as close as I could get without scaring it back inside.)

EDIT now there are two

FOOD TIME!!

vortmax fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 12, 2020