Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Starks posted:

I’ve never seen it as a complaint on these forums I guess. Like I read the threads for Rdr2, re2make, dark souls etc and I’ve never seen it come up. It feels like people don’t really care now, they just want to be right about this game and are looking for reasons to “dog pile” it hahaha.

i mean yeah, goons are unfeeling monsters. i've had multiple friends who've complained about how dogkilling happy AAA games can be so it doesn't feel inexplicable that some people aren't happy about it

personally i just hate dog enemies because they're always very boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Neil Druckmann should be in prison

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its creepy when people are worried more about dogs than humans both in real life and in games

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

its creepy when people are worried more about dogs than humans both in real life and in games

i can't believe it.... a stux post i agree with?!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

perhaps there could be some kind of game where murder is...bad????????????

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

dogstile posted:

Wonder how much money they've given out to reviewers, considering that the only guy i can find who actually seems to criticise the story AND gameplay mentions that it basically doesn't innovate and has ridiculous plot holes. 10/10 by the way.

E: "This is a petty revenge plot full of lovely unlikable people and where most of the main characters could be swapped out for any other and it wouldn't make a difference"

Truly amazing.

How do people still think this is an actual thing? At best they're giving them a free game code for the review.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's no direct payoff but reviewers are entirely dependent on the goodwill of games developers. Doubt the guy who strongly suggested that they shouldn't have made this game in his closing paragraph is getting advanced access to review ND's next title.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Remember The Last Jedi? 90% on rotten tomatoes yet fans hated it and it destroyed the franchise.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stux posted:

I've never seen a dog make posts as bad as yours!

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's no direct payoff but reviewers are entirely dependent on the goodwill of games developers. Doubt the guy who strongly suggested that they shouldn't have made this game in his closing paragraph is getting advanced access to review ND's next title.

That's not prevented negative reviews for games on TLOU's level, or games even from the same publisher. (Death Stranding, Days Gone, etc.)

It's not as much of a pressure as people seem to think it is - the one thing that guarantees you getting cut off is breaking NDA or content embargoes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Starks posted:

Remember The Last Jedi? 90% on rotten tomatoes yet fans hated it and it destroyed the franchise.

Fans did not hate Last Jedi. A specific group of fans angry at being told to stop begging for the same thing over and over did. Then Disney listened to them and made easily the shittiest film in the franchise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I have personally given bad reviews to games and have never been cut off from future reviews. Likewise good reviews do not come with a check.

Like maybe if you were IGN when it was big or something or you are a YouTube Infuencer these things happen but assuming every positive review is paid for is dumb. Sometimes people just like things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 12, 2020

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The Last Jedi defender has logged on

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

HampHamp posted:

I don't think we're gonna see eye to eye on this unfortunately, purely talking about the original game. The sequel may be as bad as you're saying, I'm not gonna pass judgement on that until I've played it, but I honestly have no idea what games you're playing that have better dialogue and acting than the original. Hell even uncharted, as schlocky as it is, puts most other games to shame with the dialogue and acting.

I would agree that TLoU puts most other games to shame with the dialogue and acting. But that's down to them giving the actors an opportunity to act like human people. Which, again, absolutely does put it in the top echelon of video games, where you typically have an actor reading lines off a page, usually without any context and often without even getting so much as a physical description of the character, and then an animator matches the lip flaps and assigns one of a dozen conversation animations to it. That doesn't necessarily make it GREAT storytelling, it makes it competent. Naughty Dog is really good at making me empathize with their characters, yes, but that's because their characters manage to generally look and act like real people. It's the same reason I empathize more with seeing a man fall down and skin his knee in real life than I do when Solid Snake shoots a soldier in the head at point blank range; it's not due to the quality of the writing, it's just because my brain doesn't see Snake or the guard as actual people. Most games won't spend literal days on getting a believeable performance out of an actor dealing with watching his daughter die in front of his eyes, but that scene only really works as a result of the work that Troy Baker and Hana Hayes put into it. I've seen live theatre do much the same, and that's not because they poured millions of dollars into their animation budget.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ImpAtom posted:

I have personally given bad reviews to games and have never been cut off from future reviews. Likewise good reviews do not come with a check.

Yeah. 20 years as a games journalist, I've eviscerated big budget games and nobody cut me or my publications off. I gave a negative review to GTA IV, but we still covered GTA V from previews onwards. Gave Deus Ex Human Revolution a very negative review, and Square still kept sending us games. Nobody ever gave me money or gifts for positive reviews either.

I would take these "we said a bad thing about game, and THEY CUT US OFF" stories with a massive grain of salt, because often when you scrape the surface it turns out they also broke embargo to do so, their reviewer put up the game on YouTube a week before release or something dumb like that.

There have been cases where PR reps have done stupid poo poo and threatened to cut publications off, but they have been very few and far between, and often those PR reps were encouraged to seek new employment soon afterwards.

Back in the 80s and 90s it was a real loving wild west, though. That's when English Amiga magazines WERE literally paid for good reviews and some real wild poo poo was going down in Italy and France, but that's decades ago.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Starks posted:

hmmm yes... i prefer a film that listens to the fans, like rise of the skywalker

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Every reviewer praising the story as provocative and tought provoking should read a loving book.
So we where right and instead of Mccarty`s The Road we got Garth Ennis`s Crossed. What a waste.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CharlestonJew posted:

The Last Jedi defender has logged on

TLJ was infinitely better than anything in any of the last of us games

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

Every reviewer praising the story as provocative and tought provoking should read a loving book.
So we where right and instead of Mccarty`s The Road we got Garth Ennis`s Crossed. What a waste.

I've never read the road, but anyone who thinks its thought provoking should play a game, like TLOU.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

uh looks like maybe you should read one too, called the dictionary, because what the heck does "tought provoking" mean hahaha

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Stux posted:

uh looks like maybe you should read one too, called the dictionary, because what the heck does "tought provoking" mean hahaha

lmao

Zeta Acosta posted:

how can I become this edgy?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
you’re laughing at that, I’m laughing at this— https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/1271336663587811328?s=21 — this is a game that brings joy to everyone!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
thread title no longer a joke, now a quote

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

TLJ was infinitely better than anything in any of the last of us games

You're insane, even flashback guilt dog murder was better than TLJ

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Starks posted:

Again what is it with people freaking out about the dogs. You kill dogs in tons of games.

Anyways I reloaded my preorder

except for the fact that in mgs a game almost 20 years old you totally can skip killing the wolfs if you play smart enough (and cheat) and it dont force a cutscene on you with HEY KILLING DOGS IS BAD OK??? VIOLENCEEEE! When loving Kojima show more restrain than you, you have a problem.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
Imagine being someone who spends $60 or more on a game that isn't fun. How embarrassing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

murder has never been so wrong...and yet so right! 10/10

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Zeta Acosta posted:

Oh hey its that poster who was banned for transphobia hi transphobe

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

except for the fact that in mgs a game almost 20 years old you totally can skip killing the wolfs if you play smart enough (and cheat) and it dont force a cutscene on you with HEY KILLING DOGS IS BAD OK??? VIOLENCEEEE! When loving Kojima show more restrain than you, you have a problem.

I don’t really play the anime games so I’m not familiar with the company you mention.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Gabby_Jay posted:

Imagine being someone who spends $60 or more on a game that isn't fun. How embarrassing.

Sorry mate fun is a buzzword, you have to engage with the full range of human emotions now

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Crappy Jack posted:

I would agree that TLoU puts most other games to shame with the dialogue and acting.

The scene when you lost the alcoholic smile and shave in disco elysium tells a better narrative than the entire naughty dog cinematic universeTM of games with only text and images. Hell some time ago i replayed KOTOR I and II and the story still is top notch. Saying that TLOU is a good story compared to other games is like saying that X movie has good writing compared with Adam Sandler`s netflix movies.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bonaventure posted:

you’re laughing at that, I’m laughing at this— https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/1271336663587811328?s=21 — this is a game that brings joy to everyone!
Is this that idiot from the /Filmcast?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fH8FeoNs8

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is there a further flashback that shows
The dog as a puppy being rescued off the streets by the guy you kill? I don’t think I understand that killing is bad unless I have the whole story

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

The scene when you lost the alcoholic smile and shave in disco elysium tells a better narrative than the entire naughty dog cinematic universeTM of games with only text and images. Hell some time ago i replayed KOTOR I and II and the story still is top notch. Saying that TLOU is a good story compared to other games is like saying that X movie has good writing compared with Adam Sandler`s netflix movies.

Ah yes KotoR 1 a game with excellent dialog and a logical and well thought out exploration of good and evil.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes KotoR 1 a game with excellent dialog and a logical and well thought out exploration of good and evil.

(Light Side) Do not kill the man and his dog.
(Dark Side) Kill the man and his dog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't care about fun in games so much as novelty, and it appears the only new thing tlou2 has to show me is what a dog sounds like when struck by a molotov cocktail. i could just go to liveleak for that!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

(Light Side) Do not kill the man and his dog.
(Dark Side) Kill the man and his dog.

Can I date the man and his dog?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Only if the game is developed by Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you can absolutely date many men as well as their dogs

and by "date" I mean "liquidate" haha