Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So a couple things and questions.

On the main Bracket sheet, I've put each director and their filmography that will be used, in order, on the second tab (use the tabs at the bottom), so you can see when your fave's best work is coming up.

Since this is going off single films, and people need time to, ah... locate them, and then watch anything they haven't seen, which is gonna be a lot of movies, do we want to slow down and have 4 matchups a week (instead of the usual 8) in the early rounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That whole bracket with Peele and Aster and Zombie and Chuck Russell is gonna be fun to watch. It seems like each one of them could either win the whole region or get knocked out in the first round depending on how the numbers fall.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

4 seems good at least to start. We can probably see how that goes and then adapt.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Love that Tim Burton and Ed Wood are going to get knocked out together in the first round :discourse:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm extremely stoked for this!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, I'm figuring out the 1st round matchups and I can see both a lot of great movies I'll be watching and a lot of heartbreaking "SHAM!" meltdowns I might have. Sounds like fun.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

https://letterboxd.com/debbiedoesdagon/list/bracketology-horror-director-week-1/

I plotted out the first week(?) on a Letterboxd list. At least five of them appear to be reasonably accessible on streaming sites, so that's a good start.

Basebf555 posted:

Came down to three things I expect. FIrst, The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is fairly divisive. I don't really like it myself. Second, not a lot of people have seen Amer. Third, Let the Corpses Tan isn't horror, and I think that is their best film.

You're all dead to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

https://letterboxd.com/debbiedoesdagon/list/bracketology-horror-director-week-1/

I plotted out the first week(?) on a Letterboxd list. At least five of them appear to be reasonably accessible on streaming sites, so that's a good start.
And here I was working on a basic txt list of where you can find the movies and you go and one up me with a way smarter, easier, and more efficient approach to the same idea.

3 of the 5 first week movies I haven't seen are available to me. So that's pretty good all things considered. Should be an interesting week and plenty of room for rewatches and other stuff from the directors.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is there any sort of ruling about multiple film versions, as to which cut is official? I guess the question is whether we should go with only one version of those available, or can just consider any multiple cuts as a whole, to the extent that they showcase the director's work on that movie. Probably it's not significant for most of the movies, but I certainly don't know them well enough to say for sure.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

Is there any sort of ruling about multiple film versions, as to which cut is official? I guess the question is whether we should go with only one version of those available, or can just consider any multiple cuts as a whole, to the extent that they showcase the director's work on that movie. Probably it's not significant for most of the movies, but I certainly don't know them well enough to say for sure.

It's relevant right away because Zombie rolled Halloween 2 in the first round. Also later if/when we're voting on Deep Red.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Welp Ishiro Honda is losing round two it seems, shame

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was researching Twin Peaks to figure out if I had to watch the series before I watch the movie and...

quote:

It serves as a prequel and sequel to the television series Twin Peaks (1990–1991),

I'm already confused.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I was researching Twin Peaks to figure out if I had to watch the series before I watch the movie and...

I'm already confused.

The movie is a prequel. But it fills in a lot of detail about events that are important because of what happens in the t.v. show so in that way I guess you could call it a sequel.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I'm already confused.

The events occur before the show, but they also spoil the ending of the show. So prequel/sequel makes sense. My advice would be to watch at least the first season, as the second season is a real mixed bag.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm already confused.

This is how I felt AFTER watching it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

The movie is a prequel. But it fills in a lot of detail about events that are important because of what happens in the t.v. show so in that way I guess you could call it a sequel.

So can I just watch it if it comes up in this knowing basically nothing about Twin Peaks or should I start binging Twin Peaks in case the movie comes up?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

So can I just watch it if it comes up in this knowing basically nothing about Twin Peaks or should I start binging Twin Peaks in case the movie comes up?

You'll probably be confused without having seen the show, yea. The prequel aspect isn't just like little fanservice moments, basically every scene is exploring some aspect of a character or storyline from the show.

Anyway it's one of my favorite shows of all time so I would never tell anyone not to watch the show.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Watch all of the show except James parts in season 2.

Some will say he was always cool, but he wasn’t.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just don't skip stuff. Its silly but its how I work. I don't like having missing pieces. So it was really just a question of where the movie falls into the watching order. I appreciate the help deciphering that. I guess I'll finally start Twin Peaks tonight/tomorrow.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
True horror: Watch only the James parts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The proper viewing order for watching Twin Peaks for the first time is just release order so Season 1, Season 2, Fire Walk With Me, then Season 3 last.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It wasn't even that I was confused going in. I just literally know nothing about Twin Peaks except the incoherent Psych episode, people dance weird, and some girl died. So I was just looking to see where the movie went and then that line confused the poo poo out of me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wanted to point out that you shouldn't watch Season 3 before Fire Walk With Me because I figure a bunch of people probably did that when Season 3 first aired? Like, the first two seasons were more readily available and I wonder if a lot of people were confused by Season 3 if they didn't have the movie to fill in the gaps.

Anyway this is Lynch we're talking about so plot isn't necessarily the most important thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No that was a good mention. I probably wouldn't have realized that if the 3rd season just autoplayed. Now I know. Appreciated.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
By the by for round 2 if Honda makes it that far

https://archive.org/details/HalfHuman_20170325/Half+Human.mkv

Here is the original cut of Half Human, at least as much as we have.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

I'm already confused.

Considering it's Twin Peaks, it actually makes perfect sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am irrationally devastated to realize that Wes' first three movies are Last House on the Left, Red Eye, and Deadly Friend. My poor Wes.

Incidently, I think it was a mistake to show us the schedule, Shreck. Can you imagine how wrecked I would have been if Wes had managed to survive and then you revealed that he had to play Deadly Friend against Argento with Nightmare, Scream, and Hills Have Eyes on the bench?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 12, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I am irrationally devastated to realize that Wes' first three movies are Last House on the Left, Red Eye, and Deadly Friend. My poor Wes.

Incidently, I think it was a mistake to show us the schedule, Shreck. Can you imagine how wrecked I would have been if Wes had managed to survive and then you revealed that he had to play Deadly Friend against Argento with Nightmare, Scream, and Hills Have Eyes on the bench?

Man, Godzilla 1954 is Honda's last movie. Imagine how I feel

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At least you probably won't be actively voting against Honda in the first round.

I assume. I guess I don't know your feelings on Rodan vs Maniac Cop 2.

Speaking of, do I gotta watch stuff before Rodan? I know you tried to explain this once but... its confusing and big. I figure I'll double bill it with Godzilla but not sure if I need to get anything else in there.

edit: This makes it seem like I can go Godzilla > Rodan without really skipping anything but there could be something crossing over or something. Or even just Rodan without Godzilla (but that feels wrong somehow).

It seems like my easiest course of action beyond this in exploring the Godzilla films is following those blue lines and then backtracking to the other colors?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 12, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

At least you probably won't be actively voting against Honda in the first round.

I assume. I guess I don't know your feelings on Rodan vs Maniac Cop 2.

Speaking of, do I gotta watch stuff before Rodan? I know you tried to explain this once but... its confusing and big.

So this is another reason I picked the films I picked for Honda, or rather the ones I suggested to change.

All of the movies are stand alone. None of them share any continuity with any of the others except retroactively in other films. Rodan and Gojira technically happen in the same universe, but as far as those films go, they are mutually exclusive.

And Toho is actively ashamed of Half Human so, you know. One thing I will say for Rodan- DO NOT, DO NOT watch the English Dub.

The English Dub is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE

I actually like a lot of dubs in the Godzilla line up, especially specific ones- MechaGodzilla 74's dub is a master work and the English version of VS Mothra 64 is the definitive version of the film to me- but Rodan's dub is at that awkward as poo poo point where America was being super racist towards Japanese films.

The entire movie has a narrator who drones on over the ENTIRE film to the point where you start actively ignoring what anyone is saying and you miss what's going on with the character drama and interactions. It's really, really bad. That was kind of what you ran into back in the 50s, either you'd get a rework like King of the Monsters 1956 that added A White Dude who could do some mild narrating and act as the audience surrogate (for white people) in a primarily Japanese film

Or you just have there be a narrator who talks over the entire goddamn movie in case dumb white people don't understand what their eyes and ears are telling them.

Half Human's english version is more in the vein of the first type and it's not the worst, exactly, but it is a worse version of the film. It over explains things, though John Carradine is always nice to see. They also got the suit for the baby yeti from Toho which is rare but neat.

(The worst of that type is the english version of Varan, which is one of the most turbo racist WHITE MAN SAVES THE DAY adaptations of any film to ever exist, it's amazing)

EDIT: Oh, oh Goat buddy no, throw that away. Oh God throw that away. I mean you could watch them in linear order if you want but for this you're free to just skip around.

If you wanted to watch the films as they are relevant then I guess but trust me, the continuity of this universe didn't kick in until ten years after Godzilla 1954 was even made.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like doing linear watching, and like, it just makes it easier for me to focus on a task to have a list I can check off. But that's a thing for some other time. Right now I think its just about Godzilla and Rodan within this tournament and how much I enjoy them will affect when and how I dig deeper in the future.

And HBO Max seems to have Rodan in Japanese with subtitles so all good there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I like doing linear watching, and like, it just makes it easier for me to focus on a task to have a list I can check off. But that's a thing for some other time. Right now I think its just about Godzilla and Rodan within this tournament and how much I enjoy them will affect when and how I dig deeper in the future.

And HBO Max seems to have Rodan in Japanese with subtitles so all good there.

Okay, proper continuity for watching is kind of straight forward

There are three main continuities to worry about. (Sort of the third one is more nebulous)

Regardless, you start with Godzilla 1954.

Then you pick with continuity you want- Showa, Heisei or MISC

Showa ties into MISC in odd places but we'll cover that in MISC

Showa continuity picks up with Godzilla Raids Again 1955, then Rodan 1956, Varan if you haave to, Mothra 1961, King Kong VS Godzilla, Godzilla VS Mothra, and such. Pepper in Frankenstein Conquers the WOrld, War of the Gargantuans and the other side films as they pop up in the time line as you want. They're all relevant in one way or three.

The exception is Destroy All Monsters, even though it was made in the 60s, its actually the last film of the Showa continuity. So that is saved for last if you want to do a true continuity watch.

Heisei is way more simple and way more concise. Return of Godzilla and then Biolante and then Ghidorah and then Mothra and then MechaGodzilla II and then Space Godzilla and then Destroyah. No other films relate or are important. You have a Mothra trilogy that's unrelated if you want, but they're awful.

The MISC Era is the "Whatever the gently caress" era. Only two of these share any real continuity with anything. Godzilla X MechaGodzilla and Tokyo SOS are direct sequels, and they tie into Mothra 61, Godzilla 54, War of the Gargantuans and the YOG movie. You don't really need to watch them to understand, but they add context. Final Wars is a mismash that's worse the more you understand and the rest only include the original if even that.

Then you have Shin which is stand alone, Legendary which is its own series of films, and the anime movies which don't exist and shouldn't be watched

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Burkion posted:

Okay, proper continuity for watching is kind of straight forward

There are three main continuities to worry about. (Sort of the third one is more nebulous)

Regardless, you start with Godzilla 1954.

Then you pick with continuity you want- Showa, Heisei or MISC

If we ever do brackets for most convoluted franchise order, I vote Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

If we ever do brackets for most convoluted franchise order, I vote Godzilla.

Some of them go backwards, swear to God.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

:siren: Schrecknet, it's ROBERT Eggers, not Roger. :siren:

Basebf555 posted:

Came down to three things I expect. FIrst, The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is fairly divisive. I don't really like it myself. Second, not a lot of people have seen Amer. Third, Let the Corpses Tan isn't horror, and I think that is their best film.

Anyway the bracket looks pretty solid overall, I don't have a lot of seeding complaints. Carpenter missing out on a 1 seed is weird but I know that was just a random draw.

This is basically it for me. I really did not like Strange Color of Your Body's Tears, loved Let the Corpses Tan but it's not horror.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CRYSTAL LAKE Round 1, Pt 1 VOTING IS NOW OPEN

Corman doing Poe vs Shirome by Koji Shirashi

Faust from 1926 vs 1/3 of Three...Extremes. (Three Extemes is on Amazon Prime)

A battle of each director's least-inspired work. Welp. Cabin Fever 2 is on Tubi

Michele Soavi might be the best director on this list, but I doubt it matters. Stagefright is on Prime.

:siren: VOTE AFTER WATCHING AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! :siren:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 12, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of me wants to vote Soavi just because I really do like Stagefright a lot and Army of Darkness is my least favorite Evil Dead film. But.....nah. Can't punish Army of Darkness based on the fact that I like other movies better. It's still too much fun to vote against.

Definitely gonna check out Three Extremes, I've never seen it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I found as many as I could using legal/available means, but I think we're gonna have to stream Lost Highway in the discord because it just does not exist online.

As a side note, collecting the images and finding links for the matchups is incredibly annoying and time consuming, so if anyone wants to hit up Letterboxd and use the Inspect Element -> Open in New Tab -> Download image to get me the rest of Round 1's entries, it would be much appreciated. You don't have to do all 48, just let people know you're gonna do some segment and then just do those and dropbox/googledocs them to me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The only matchup where I've seen both is Raimi vs Soavi. Stagefright is an okay slasher with some nice stylistic flourishes. The killer design is probably more memorable than 99% of all other slashers. The other movie is Army of Darkness. I can see people voting for Stagefright since Army is definitely the weakest Raimi, but come on.

3 Extremes is free on PlutoTV
https://pluto.tv/on-demand/movies/t...tremes-2004-1-1

Stagefright is free on Vudu
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Stagefright/24911

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, Ti got burned real hard here.

Cabin Fever is at the best of times okay. Cabin Fever 2 is forgettable at the best of its run.

But Lost Highway? Sure it's not one of Lynch's best but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

This loving scene