Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ti West never had a shot so this is probably less painful. Like a bandaid, just rip it off and accept right away that West is gone. Lynch was always gonna stomp him regardless of the dice roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Masque of the Red Death is probably the best movie ever made about Poe and Roger Coreman's best movie period.

On one hand it's kind of unfortunate to swing that out for the first round, on the other hand it gives me an excuse to rewatch the movie so I'm good

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Basebf555 posted:

The proper viewing order for watching Twin Peaks for the first time is just release order so Season 1, Season 2, Fire Walk With Me, then Season 3 last.

Honestly if STAC is as big a completionist as it appears, I would add in Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces between FWWM and S3, if you can get a hold of it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Koji got hosed getting matched up against Corman, then doubly so for it being Shirome v Masque.

E:

So did Soavi, he was only gunna beat Raimi if it was The Church vs the Gift (and maybe drag me to hell)

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 12, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

Koji got hosed getting matched up against Corman, then doubly so for it being Shirome v Masque.

E:

So did Soavi, he was only gunna beat Raimi if it was The Church vs the Gift (and maybe drag me to hell)

(No maybe about it, Drag Me To Hell is going to cost Raimi big)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Drag Me to Hell is why Corman is a big threat in that bracket. He stands a decent chance of beating Raimi in Round 2(it's by no means a sure thing though, personally I will probably vote for Drag Me to Hell), and then from there he might not be stopped until the Final 4, or at least Final 8.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Feels like I'm gonna have to try and watch all 8 movies this round. I’ve seen Faust and Masque of the Red Death but neither wowed me so I’ll probably try and give them rewatches to be fair. Army of Darkness I’ve of course seen many times but I dozed off in the middle of a rewatch last week so I’ll finish that one of these days. The rest I’ve never seen. Cabin Fever 2, Three Extremes, and Stagefright are all available for free so should be no problem watching them. Lost Highway and Shirome I’ll have to go looking for them. With the exception of Army of Darkness this seems like very even battles. Murnau would have had a big edge with Nosfertu/Haunted Castle and Raimi would probably get a slam dunk if we were judging directors. Army probably has an edge here anyway since its a lifetime favorite that I can still remember being peer pressured into sneaking into the theater to see by my friends. Kids are mean when you say you’re not allowed to see an R film. But I’ll try and give everyone a fair shake.

But lets all take a second to laugh at Eli Roth for missing the tournament while Ti West goes to bat with his sequel. Haha! That was worth nominating West alone. He's earned his spot.

Oh, and...

Shrecknet posted:

CRYSTAL LAKE Round 1, Pt 1

Shrecknet posted:

If anyone wants to take a stab at re-naming the divisions, go nuts.

STAC Goat posted:

Well you got Argento/Bava, Lynch/Hitchcock, Miike/Honda and Zombie/Carpenter. You couldn't have been done that by accident. So like something along the likes of Giallo, Psychological, J-Horror, and Slasher seems natural. Gotta be more clever ways to say that though.

Or Rome, Hollywood, Tokyo, and Haddonfield? Something along those lines?

Maybe named after the towns of the seeds classics? ???, Twin Peaks, ???, and Haddonfield?

The Berzerker posted:

Honestly if STAC is as big a completionist as it appears, I would add in Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces between FWWM and S3, if you can get a hold of it.

I'm having trouble getting into Twin Peaks. Took about 4 sittings to get through the first episode. Sticking with it as I get to know the characters and stories and hoping that helps but I'm not planning 29 episodes and a movie ahead at this stage.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 12, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Lost Highway is one of Lynch's weakest films and it's still better than the entire filmographies of half the directors in this bracket.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I'm having trouble getting into Twin Peaks. Took about 4 sittings to get through the first episode. Sticking with it as I get to know the characters and stories and hoping that helps but I'm not planning 29 episodes and a movie ahead at this stage.

Twin Peaks really shows you where it's headed at about Episode 3 or 4. It's fairly standard soap opera murder mystery stuff until then, albeit with a very charismatic lead.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Everyone always says Twin Peaks Season 2 is bad, but it's misnomer because the show is great until midway through Season 2 when the killer is revealed. It's very quickly thereafter that things get off the rails. But the finale is good and key to understanding Fire Walk with Me and then The Return is just next level, redefines-filmmaking tier but also relies heavily on your knowledge and affection for the characters as they existed in the original series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Right now its a little too soap operay/melodramatic/quirky for me. I don't know if that's an acquired taste that I'll get used to or what. But I'll give the first season a full go as long as it isn't too hard. Second episode went down easier than the first. Hopefully that turns into a trend.

Its too drat hot to garden anyway. I just sweated out like a gallon. So its more Twin Peaks or a movie until the sun starts to drop a little.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The tone of the first couple of episodes is not indicative of the full series. If you're willing to stick through the whole first season I think that's giving it a fair enough shot though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea agreed, if you do finish the first season and you're not feeling it, it's probably not gonna get any better from there.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We're only judging one portion of Three Extremes, right? Because there is also another competing director in the film (Miike), unless Park is responsible for the overall anthology.

STAC Goat posted:

Miike/Honda

I keep thinking this should be the CA 15th Congressional District.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I found as many as I could using legal/available means, but I think we're gonna have to stream Lost Highway in the discord because it just does not exist online.

It's available on filmin.es if you have access to a VPN and a PayPal account. It's a little weird subscribing to a streaming site in Spain when you don't live there, but their collection is seriously impressive. Oh and remember to switch the audio track to Inglés.

https://www.filmin.es/catalogo?f%5Bgenre_ids%5D=14

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Carpenter missing out on a 1 seed is weird but I know that was just a random draw.

Losing it to Rob loving Zombie then going up against Ridley Scott with his weakest film is a bit much, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jedit posted:

Losing it to Rob loving Zombie then going up against Ridley Scott with his weakest film is a bit much, though.

Kvlt! Made his choice and we have to stand by it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, it's gonna be Hannibal vs. Christine. We have a lot of Christine fans around these parts.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

:siren: Schrecknet, it's ROBERT Eggers, not Roger. :siren:

I went back and checked, and that was 100% my fault. Dyslexia strikes again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shrecknet posted:

Kvlt! Made his choice and we have to stand by it.

When fighting posers one must beware, lest one thereby become a poser. And when you gaze into the Abyss, James Cameron gazes also into you.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

I found as many as I could using legal/available means, but I think we're gonna have to stream Lost Highway in the discord because it just does not exist online.

If anyone is looking for a legal copy and has a Comcast subscription and X1 box, Lost Highway is available for free on Peacock.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TrixRabbi posted:

Everyone always says Twin Peaks Season 2 is bad, but it's misnomer because the show is great until midway through Season 2 when the killer is revealed. It's very quickly thereafter that things get off the rails. But the finale is good and key to understanding Fire Walk with Me and then The Return is just next level, redefines-filmmaking tier but also relies heavily on your knowledge and affection for the characters as they existed in the original series.

I also get annoyed when people simplify it to “Twin Peaks S2 bad.”

That said, is the trash after the killer storyline relevant at all for S3? I realize some of the last few episodes are. It feels inevitable that I’ll rewatch it at some point but somebody better give me a good reason why I should ever subject myself to General Lee or supergirl or Windom Earle ever again.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Look, sitting through like 10 bad episodes of Twin Peaks is worth it for the way some of that poo poo pays off later. Lynch drops a lot of it, but like Coop getting trapped in the lodge is kind of pivotal to the entirety of The Return.

edit: Ok, so Laura's killer is revealed in episode 9 of season 2. The one right after that is fine. Then there's about 11 bad episodes, which have varying degrees of quality between them, before the finale brings it back home. Like, there's some stuff in the back half of that season that isn't all that bad and honestly if you're used to watching bad TV it's better than a lot of typical garbage people get addicted to. If anything, it's just the come down from the high of how good the show was before. But I cannot stress enough the level of masterpiece that Fire Walk with Me and The Return are. It's worth a powering through a relatively short mid-series rough patch.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 12, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I honestly think the James storyline in Season 2 is worth watching at least once just to witness perhaps the worst storyline ever written in t.v. history.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like James's storyline, he basically leaves one show and enters a completely different one. It's very bizarre. I get the hate tho

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Those episodes also probe the mythology of the Black Lodge in a way that is very necessary to later. Particularly the character development for Major Briggs that factors heavily into The Return.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's a drat shame Don Davis didn't live long enough to be in The Return. Briggs was such a fantastic character.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I was completely on board with this setup until Soavi had to go up against Raimi with loving Aquarius and now I am STAC Goating all over my apartment. Please at least make sure you all watch Cemetery Man in memoriam after he gets blown out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony.or.Death posted:

I was completely on board with this setup until Soavi had to go up against Raimi with loving Aquarius and now I am STAC Goating all over my apartment. Please at least make sure you all watch Cemetery Man in memoriam after he gets blown out.

If it had been Cemetery Man, he would have had a chance

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

Look at it this way, had Raimi not been unlucky with his own roll, Soavi would've been gone Cemetery Man or not. So really this is the fair outcome.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm ok with Raimi winning, it's about the getting people to watch stuff part - Aquarius is fine but it would be a tragedy if that was someone's only experience with Soavi.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually feel like people watching Stagefright/Aquarius is a bigger win for Soavi than Cemetery Man would've been. It seems like most people are already aware of Cemetery Man but Stagefright to me is very underseen.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

For Soavi I've only seen Cemetery Man so yeah, can't fret the roll there.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Fair point, I guess it's been at least a few years now of me and a couple others championing it every time we have one of our challenges, so it's probably got a lot more penetration with the regular crew than my sense of the world says it has. Good job, horror crew.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Stage Fright is an absolute stormer of a film and I am so sad people seem so down on it ITT. Is Army of Darkness really considered that strong?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BisonDollah posted:

Stage Fright is an absolute stormer of a film and I am so sad people seem so down on it ITT. Is Army of Darkness really considered that strong?

It's just got a lot going for it, I think is the general consensus. Stage Fright is a kind of typical slasher film with some fun nudges while Army of Darkness is a whole fantasy adventure comedy thing that has the usual strengths of the Evil Dead franchise to keep it up. But AoD is also easily the weakest of the original three movies. I have a feeling if it went up against Cemetery Man it would lose

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I could see Cemetery Man vs Army of Darkness being a real fight of similar types of movies. Raimi would probably have a big edge over Soavi in my approach but he's a high seed so that makes sense. And a lot of it would come down to if you feel Raimi's weaker films bring down his rating or if you think Bruce Campbell deserves a lot of credit or what.

Also Twin Peaks is loving weird.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 12, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

As a side note, collecting the images and finding links for the matchups is incredibly annoying and time consuming, so if anyone wants to hit up Letterboxd and use the Inspect Element -> Open in New Tab -> Download image to get me the rest of Round 1's entries, it would be much appreciated. You don't have to do all 48, just let people know you're gonna do some segment and then just do those and dropbox/googledocs them to me.

I missed this post but if no one has stepped up for you yet just let me know. Happy to help.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah just grab like the next 30 or so, it'll save me a ton of time. Dont worry about rd 2, it'll be half as many that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I watched both films I hadn't seen before and voted tonight.

I feel a bit meh about most J-Horror, Shirome didn't really grab me sadly. I remember thinking Noroi: The Curse was really good so this might just be a bad roll for Kôji Shiraishi and I will check out some more of his stuff (A Record of Sweet Murder jumps out).

Cabin Fever 2 is better than the first film but that's not saying much. It had enough silly charm to pass for me, it has such random and immature elements it really does feel like watching a film the edgy kid in class got his weird uncles to fund.

Neither film beat out their competitors though. Lost Highway is pretty good even though it's considered one of Lynch's poorest efforts and Masque of the Red Death loving slaps. I think the only result I'll be sad about here will be thanks to the Evil Dead hipsters and not enough celebration of a great slasher. My dad gave me a copy of his Stage Fright VHS and I'll be watching that tomorrow but I remember really digging it on my first watch a few years ago.