Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To put it very simply, the Advanced tier Reason magic class, Warlock, gets built-in Black Tomefaire and Black Magic Uses x2. This is very good... but Hubert learns zero Black Magic spells. Dark Bishop gets built-in Fiendish Blow, which is overall inferior to that combo but Hubert can actually USE it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I had good luck running Sylvain through Dark Bishop into Dark Knight and letting him bait whole armies to death. He really hit his def and res growths, though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'm pretty sure the only reason that Dark Mage isn't an enemy-only class is that Hubert is required to be one storywise to fufill his schtick of being the "Scheming Dark Mage Vizier" to Edelgard's "Angry Armored Emperor". I can imagine somewhere in development some poor programer had just made the umpteenth Blue Lions map where Hubert's the boss and a higher up looks over their shoulder and says "Isn't Hubert supposed to be playable in one of the routes?" And they just say screw it, let the player use Dark Mage.

On a related note it's hilarious how different Hubert comes across depending on the route. I played CF first and had this whole image of him as this competent spy/assassin/diplomat. Then I play Azure Moon and he's Cobra Commander.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Have you played either of the other routes yet? Much as I love having him around, his best moment is in those.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

galagazombie posted:

Then I play Azure Moon and he's Cobra Commander.

Blue Lions can potentially wind up thrashing him and sending him running no less than six separate times throughout the game before finally putting him down in their seventh encounter, if I'm remembering the maps right.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cythereal posted:

Blue Lions can potentially wind up thrashing him and sending him running no less than six separate times throughout the game before finally putting him down in their seventh encounter, if I'm remembering the maps right.

Paths That Will Never Cross is the Hubert theme to me

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

galagazombie posted:

On a related note it's hilarious how different Hubert comes across depending on the route. I played CF first and had this whole image of him as this competent spy/assassin/diplomat. Then I play Azure Moon and he's Cobra Commander.

That's kind of funny. The Professor being there just mellows him out since in CF, he doesn't have to be the sole weapon forwarding Edelgard's dream and can relax a bit. I look forward to whatever insanity he spits in my next playthrough.

That said, holy poo poo, Edel needs a lot of time to get to S rank. I'm on chapter 16, and I just hit A on her. :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AlternateNu posted:

That said, holy poo poo, Edel needs a lot of time to get to S rank. I'm on chapter 16, and I just hit A on her. :stare:

Getting S rank with one person of your choice with Byleth is a plot event, not affection based. You'll specifically be given a list of everyone of compatible orientation who you have an A rank with, the mystery box, or going solo.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I appreciate you peeps responding to me! I don't know if I have energy for all 4-5 campaigns unless there is a way to speed things up but this game is cool and interesting so I might!

If I consider this to be the best FE, what are some others worth playing?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shadow225 posted:

I appreciate you peeps responding to me! I don't know if I have energy for all 4-5 campaigns unless there is a way to speed things up but this game is cool and interesting so I might!

Have you tried others and bounced off of them?

I mean otherwise the standard recs are always going to be the GBA games (Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones) then depending on what you liked about 3 Houses the Gamecube Game Path of Radiance, the 3DS Game Fire Emblem Awakening or if you want to go really in the weeds the SNES game Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War (it has a fan translation patch).

I would personally steer away from Radiant Dawn (the Wii game) until/unless you play Path of Radiance as its a direct sequel. The DS remakes are also kinda terrible and just look really bad but some people really like them if you're more into the mechanical side of the series.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cythereal posted:

Getting S rank with one person of your choice with Byleth is a plot event, not affection based. You'll specifically be given a list of everyone of compatible orientation who you have an A rank with, the mystery box, or going solo.

Oh, I'm aware of that. But the "S" glows blue when they become an option, and like I said, I just got rank A on her in ch. 16. She was the last S rankable support I have available to me.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Edelgard and Dmitri are what the vast majority of people say are the definite must play routes, and you're already doing Deer, who have a meh plot saved by a great cast. Never do the Church route. It is literally the Deer but with every character but Seteth removed. Imagine instead of all the fun banter and camaraderie with the Deer you just have Seteth sitting in a room with a mute. Dmitri's route has the most unique Part 1 story wise with extra scenes the other routes don't get. But the Maps are the same. His Part two reuses a lot of maps from Deer but is very different plotwise. The Eagles have a more or less identical Part 1 but by far the most unique Part 2 in both story and levels. If you want to speed things up, you can press buttons to fast forward or even skip the battle animations, I think theres even a "skip the entire enemy turn" option (It still happens, it's just not shown graphically).

As for recommendations, Echoes in hindsight definitely feels like a trial run for a lot of Three Houses gameplay design. And it has hands down the best presentation (Voice Acting, art, etc.) in the series. both 7 and 9 are generally considered the best ways to get into the series, and while they are amazing games I heartily recommend, be forewarned that they are waaay less freeform than 3H.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Do Church if you really want to kiss Rhea

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Re: both Caspar and Dark Mage: y'all just aren't thinking big/dumb enough. Dark mage/bishop Caspar can stack heartseeker with his personal for -30 avoid to adjacent enemies, turning him into a close range pseudo-Ignatz that benefits your other units and letting him abuse low accuracy axe arts.

Plus, since his spell list sucks anyway, it's not like you're missing out by not going warlock instead. :v:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Re: both Caspar and Dark Mage: y'all just aren't thinking big/dumb enough. Dark mage/bishop Caspar can stack heartseeker with his personal for -30 avoid to adjacent enemies, turning him into a close range pseudo-Ignatz that benefits your other units and letting him abuse low accuracy axe arts.

Plus, since his spell list sucks anyway, it's not like you're missing out by not going warlock instead. :v:

Sweet Lord that plan is dorky as hell and I'm totally gonna try that at some point

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Give me all the stupid ideas. I love the stupid ideas.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Someone tell me that I actually murder the gently caress out of Jeritza for his S rank. :v:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Flayn makes a perfectly fine Pegasus once you raise her sword and lance skills. She learns Frozen Lance and one of the magic based sword arts. Pair those with a Levin Sword/Killer Lance and she can dish out some respectable damage.

My favorite game is Fates: Conquest, and one of the reasons for that is that every character has a secondary class which is no less viable than their primary. Three Houses gives you these same insane builds to the extreme. Marianne can be a healer, a black mage, on a horse, flying or a scary sword girl and all are useful and useable for the whole game, just some builds are easier than others. And the same is true for every other unit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

daermon posted:

Flayn makes a perfectly fine Pegasus once you raise her sword and lance skills. She learns Frozen Lance and one of the magic based sword arts. Pair those with a Levin Sword/Killer Lance and she can dish out some respectable damage.

My favorite game is Fates: Conquest, and one of the reasons for that is that every character has a secondary class which is no less viable than their primary. Three Houses gives you these same insane builds to the extreme. Marianne can be a healer, a black mage, on a horse, flying or a scary sword girl and all are useful and useable for the whole game, just some builds are easier than others. And the same is true for every other unit.

Have you seen Effie's magic growth?

Have you?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Maid Effie is perfectly viable, especially if you grab Wary Fighter. It's a gimmick build, and a fun one and it works.

Kind of like Swordmaster Marianne. Her best class is Gremory just like every female mage but she works fine as a Swordmaster or Pegasus or even a Paladin. The physical classes aren't as strong, but outside of Maddening she'll be able to contribute through endgame.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Marianne’s best class is Holy Knight, actually. It may be statistically worse than Gremory (most classes are), but she gets to ride a horse, and will politely ask you to train her as one once you get to the appropriate levels.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Marianne’s best class is Holy Knight, actually. It may be statistically worse than Gremory (most classes are), but she gets to ride a horse, and will politely ask you to train her as one once you get to the appropriate levels.

Cipher seems to like the other good Bishop in that role though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Consider: Marianne's best class is assassin because I find it funny to make her an assassin.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Marianne's best class is Dark Flier, so she can fly next to her wife, Wyvern Lord Hilda.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Marianne's best class is Dark Flier, so she can fly next to her wife, Wyvern Lord Hilda.

Yeah I really liked her as a dark flier! Flying healers are always great, even if she has fewer casts of her healing spells.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

AradoBalanga posted:

Correct

Hey is anyone else finding the DLC paralouges to be hot bullshit? I'm admittedly handicapping myself by doing a gimmick run, but Anna's is making me tear my hair out. The surprise reinforcement have enormous range, spawn from every corner of the map, and have way too many bow knights when my run is uh, an all flier run. I've about given up on 100%ing the treasure, I'm just trying to maximise what I can get at this point.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My first run was a blind Golden Deer run. Marianne was a Holy Knight, Dark Knight and Gremory. She performed best as a Dark Knight but Holy just looked better on her.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Constance's paralouge wasn't too bad once you figured out the trick to keep every unit from swarming you all at once, but Anna's and Hapi's are infuriating.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

They are like a higher level of difficulty in and of themselves, yeah. Took me a LOT of tries to get through them all.

edit: technically I was also doing a gimmick run, that of "don't recruit Lysithea until post-skip" because I wanted to see that dialogue, but it did restrict my warp-skip options a lot. Not that it would have helped that much in those maps.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 13, 2020

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

capitaldelendaest posted:

Correct

Hey is anyone else finding the DLC paralouges to be hot bullshit? I'm admittedly handicapping myself by doing a gimmick run, but Anna's is making me tear my hair out. The surprise reinforcement have enormous range, spawn from every corner of the map, and have way too many bow knights when my run is uh, an all flier run. I've about given up on 100%ing the treasure, I'm just trying to maximise what I can get at this point.
My advice is to abuse the mounting mechanic. Fliers can dismount and then take an action, or conversely, mount and then take an action. So, you can fly over to a bow knight, dismount and then attack as an infantry unit rather than a flying unit. Boom, no longer do you have to worry about effective damage. The other advice is to get people over to Pallardo and be ready to pop him when you've cleared off what's on the field. That way, you don't have to deal with all reinforcements and only deal with one or two waves because if he's the last one on the map, killing Pallardo stops the reinforcements.

Hapi/Balthus does benefit from having a lot of fliers to zip over to the main action and clean up. The best course of action is to whittle down the initial enemies, and let the reinforcements come to you. That way, they have to play by your rules and your setups. Try saving Baron von Ochs for last (he won't move as long as you don't target him or his two warlock buddies), so you can defeat him and then be in position to defeat his second form.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks for the advice! I honestly totally forgot mounting/dismounting is a thing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

here's the strat for black market scheme:

don't deploy anyone in the four bottom left corner unit slots, and with the rest just make a break over here asap.

yes, it's really really boring and tedious, but this map just sucks unfortunately

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Cyril is annoying and I'm gonna get him murdered.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The DLC thing I found the hardest (outside the actual DLC) was that quest Balthus gives you on that annoying rope bridge Goneril map with just thirty wyvern lords. And then to add insult to injury afterwards he's like "haha that was fun, hey you really should meet Holst some time"

:argh: I want to but I can't

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shadow225 posted:

Play Awakening.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

eating only apples posted:

The DLC thing I found the hardest (outside the actual DLC) was that quest Balthus gives you on that annoying rope bridge Goneril map with just thirty wyvern lords. And then to add insult to injury afterwards he's like "haha that was fun, hey you really should meet Holst some time"

:argh: I want to but I can't
huh, really? no way that was harder than either of the paralogues for me. you just sweep that map with normal tank-n-spank strategies of luring them out with a fortress knight and then killing with your archer of choice.

i guess the beginning bit is a bit hairy but you can easily deploy such that your formation can stand up to some punishment.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Natural 20 posted:

Play Awakening.

Awakening was super good and was far closer to a traditional FE game than Three Houses is.

Three Houses strikes me as the Valkyria Chronicles 2 of FE. Still fun, and I'll definitely dump 200+ hours into it, but overall worse than the more traditional ones, VC1 and 4. (I'm still mad VC3 never got a port.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 13, 2020

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Mercedes getting mad at Annette was weird. She said she blamed her for their getting threatened by the rogue, which makes no sense and also Annette didn't say that.

Edit: lol I liked Dimitri losing his poo poo at Remire Village.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 13, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

snoremac posted:

Mercedes getting mad at Annette was weird. She said she blamed her for their getting threatened by the rogue, which makes no sense and also Annette didn't say that.

If there is one thing that makes Mercedes go berserk, it's people putting themselves in danger for her sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's a weird support. I think something might have been lost in translation there? It feels like it's lacking the right impetus for their fight.