Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In Training posted:

what could possibly be the reasoning for this.

my grocery banned reusable bags because apparently they spread covid? but I'm happy to bag my own groceries so it's not like I'm exposing the baggers to it :shrug:

I just switched to paper bags, I use them to hold my recycling anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

In Training posted:

Because we did know early on whether Surface transmission was a big deal or not so it was to prevent employees from having to handle dirty bags.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah I can still use reusable at the Food Hole and they require masks for entry, I just cycle through them, letting them sit for 2-3 days and use different bags next time I go to the store.

the Traitor Joes near me makes you leave all your bags and stuff outside the store and only lets 25 people in at a time, with masks.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I got nearly the exact same thing except it started as a pain in the front lower left lung area and then spread to my left shoulder blade, but hot showers seemed to help. I actually went as far as making an appointment at my local medical clinic when it kept going but then I realised that I've been sitting slumped in my chair leaning over to the left with my shoulder blade pretty much hooked over the edge of my chair for 12+ hours a day for the last week watching protest footage so that was probably the cause.

Were you getting super sharp pains when you breathed in? I had pleurisy a few years ago and it was a lot like what you describe...probably the worst pain that I’ve experienced in my loving life

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oh right Covid prevention. I forgot there was a pandemic for a second

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
grocery stores should just take all orders online and then pack the food and supplies into one of those t-shirt guns and shoot it through your car's open passenger window.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

lol someone's having an affair

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SKULL.GIF posted:

guessing: people aren't using coins anymore because cash spreads covid, so circulation has dried up, which means whatever is using coins (?? vending?) suddenly has a shortage and has to source it somewhere
Doctors need coins for deciding who gets treatment.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Doctors need coins for deciding who gets treatment.

They should be rolling a D20

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

In Training posted:

At least in our case is that they dont want the baggers to touch your filthy poo poo

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

grocery stores should just take all orders online and then pack the food and supplies into one of those t-shirt guns and shoot it through your car's open passenger window.

Frozen turkeys delivered by mortar round

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
little spoiler for tonight's episode of TOP 5 NEW CASES USA

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1271473348904734720

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I wonder if usa weekly rolling average deaths, excluding nyc metro, have gone down at any point. Probably not

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

COVID-420 posted:

yes but HOW ARE THE LINES AT DISNEY??

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

my grocery banned reusable bags because apparently they spread covid? but I'm happy to bag my own groceries so it's not like I'm exposing the baggers to it :shrug:

I just switched to paper bags, I use them to hold my recycling anyway

I was in Fred Meyer (read: Kroger's regional branding) this weekend and I noticed they were using plastic bags for some reason. Which made no sense because my town banned single use plastic bags a good ten years ago or so. To the point that when I'm traveling and see them they're a unique oddity and feel weird.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Iron Crowned posted:

They should be rolling a D20
Doctor tells devastated family that while yes, their dad did win the coinflip, that was only the first bracket and he didn't even make it to the semi-finals.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
There's a coin shortage because Bill Gates has ordered them all confiscated. He knows they offer the only protection from 5g Corona

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mod sassinator posted:

Infectious

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Disney is opening up in July, Mission Accomplished!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/DrTedros/status/1271174886988435456
https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1271493370146365445

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stereotype posted:

I feel like this is a bigger deal than people have been recognizing. The University of Hawaii is weighing having a "hybrid" schedule next semester; with large lectures being online and smaller labs and discussion sections being in person; but it doesn't address the issue that you're having thousands of students from all over the world descend on the island and they are very unlikely to come back two weeks early and sit in isolation in their dorms the whole time.

I hope someone somewhere is talking about these challenges and how to address them but honestly I've met the leaders in the university administration and they are incurious morons who have absolutely deluded themselves into thinking things will just be fine.

I think that the mainland is going to explode again and they'll just stay online only for another semester at least. Studio arts are completely hosed.

everyone in charge of every large institution is led by a credulous moron. they are all taking their lead from the government which at every level, even the blue states, has been telegraphing that everything is under control and we'll be back to normal by july.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/fxmacro/status/1271478069979762690?s=19

Never going to happen.

Serf
May 5, 2011

just heard on a work call "we are buying all of you 5 masks, you are not required to wear them. guests on campus will not be required to wear masks"

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Rock My Socks! posted:

Were you getting super sharp pains when you breathed in? I had pleurisy a few years ago and it was a lot like what you describe...probably the worst pain that I’ve experienced in my loving life

Lmao that's me last night and every few hours today if I stand I'm fine but if I sit or lay for a bit I want death. It feels crackly but I figured that was my spine or something

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

One of the big shocks I had upon moving to Korea was seeing kids just roaming every where alone, even small elementary school kids. I realized that the fears that Americans had about their kids being alone were ridiculously over exaggerated, and a gross deviation from the historical mean.
https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/10/01/162079442/do-you-know-where-your-children-are-is-that-always-a-good-thing

no joke this is due to neoliberalism. trusting your neighbors and community to not kidnap and rape your kids doesnt make sense if you believe there is no such thing as society

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Serf posted:

just heard on a work call "we are buying all of you 5 masks, you are not required to wear them. guests on campus will not be required to wear masks"

Taking bets that there will also be a line said "We care about your safety and wellbeing"

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao "we are fully reopening, face-to-face contact in a month. nothing is going to stop that"

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

surprised cdc twitter hasnt been muzzled yet

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1271498768274382848

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
more from citydata lol thank u whoever linked that insanity earlier

quote:

No, I don't. But I was the one who visited my parents in the middle of Lockdown April. In another state. I've been to Florida three times since then, doing work on a rental house and visiting the in-laws. I've visited friends, neighbors, just anyone willing to have a chat in this crazy time. I shop everywhere, sans mask. I could go on, but you get the idea. I haven't changed my life - I just resent those who seek to get in the way of me living my life as I see fit.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/current-events/3146787-coronavirus-general-discussion-thread-part-4-a-1016.html

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
i don't care who calls me crazy there WILL be another "lockdown", de facto if not de jure

it won't need to be directed by the government

when the hospitals get overwhelmed and the bodies start stacking, people will get scared and stay home

and if the gov doesn't give them $$$ to eat, the subsequent protests and riots will dwarf the george floyd protests

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crusader posted:

Americans aren't paying attention to what the CDC says anymore, so there's no need.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crusader posted:

technically true that the total will be higher than 124,000 by July 4!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
the soft targets like prisons, skilled nursing facilities, heavy industry plants, etc... have mostly already had their surge. imo this batch of new cases is much more diffuse and less centrally clustered. It's not going to burn itself out soon like the first round.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

citydata forums are insane, just full of bonkers poo poo. I looked at the one for my city and people were just openly posting racist stuff, i asked why that was allowed and was banned. pretty cool!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Crusader posted:

someone post the cspam projections leaderboard

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is going to have to be a local gov bailout eventually

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I got nearly the exact same thing except it started as a pain in the front lower left lung area and then spread to my left shoulder blade, but hot showers seemed to help. I actually went as far as making an appointment at my local medical clinic when it kept going but then I realised that I've been sitting slumped in my chair leaning over to the left with my shoulder blade pretty much hooked over the edge of my chair for 12+ hours a day for the last week watching protest footage so that was probably the cause.

This once happened to me also from years of lovely posture sitting at desks. I ended up pinching a nerve in my left shoulder which would randomly make the arm numb, so that was super fun to constantly think I'm having a heart attack and stroke at the same time. It took three months of PT to untwist my upper body.

no moral just take care of your body and posture

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

COVID-420 posted:

lol serves them right. they wouldn't be on the list if they didn't test.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

there is going to have to be a local gov bailout eventually

I think you mean allowing state and local governments to go into bankruptcy so that they can kill the unions and enforce austerity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serf posted:

Get the most comfortable respirator you can and just wear it to all meetings/around everyone until 2021 and refuse to remove it