Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Veks posted:

Finally, white moderates will learn that killing is bad and will want to defund the police.

actually TLoU2 taught me that dog killing is a deeply moving experience

I'm gonna go kill some dogs irl right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
please dont

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zeta Acosta posted:

please dont

How else will he protect his pukkins?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Stux posted:

oh theyre a rereg?

Yup

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

please dont

it's gonna be a masterpiece of narrative

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

nobody in this thread is melting down as far as I can see?

Melting down...like a dog you just bathed in white phosphorous! The Last of Us Part II will ask hard questions about what you’re willing to do to survive and force you reconcile whether it was worth it as Ellie sneaks away through a sewer tunnel hearing the echoing cries of a loving dog owner, standing over the charred remains of man’s best friend. Seconds later Ellie finds a razor shrapnel bomb and 5 Upgrade Pills hidden in a dead end of the tunnel. “Nice,” she breathily quips.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Hwurmp posted:

actually TLoU2 taught me that dog killing is a deeply moving experience

I'm gonna go kill some dogs irl right now

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

update: I failed to kill the dogs

I just pet them like some goddamn plebe

my whole life is a lie

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

If you are going to bring idiocy from the wrestling forum get your facts right: i was banned because i talked trash to the mod on PM and was unpleasant. The transphobic narrative arised from the qcs-fyad debacle where i posted that the forum needed less mods no more and that SA is pretty good at self regulating the more egregious examples of hate speech. And that Nyla Rose, a trans wrestler, is not very good at her job at the current stage of her push.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pretty sure I flamethrowered a few hundred dogs in Fallout so this probably isn't that different

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure I flamethrowered a few hundred dogs in Fallout so this probably isn't that different

Did they have names though ?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Did they have names though ?

Crispy, Crunchy, Smoky, Sweet Baby Ray...

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll consider forgiving Druckmann's terrible sins if the entirety of TLOU part 3 is played as the puppies of all the dogs you killed

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'll consider forgiving Druckmann's terrible sins if the entirety of TLOU part 3 is played as the puppies of all the dogs you killed

The last of pups

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

Make Shelter 3 but Snuffles, Paprika and Coco all get microwaved in slow motion in the intro.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The Last of Us Part III: Seattle Jungle

The pomeranians will reclaim this Earth

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

If you are going to bring idiocy from the wrestling forum get your facts right: i was banned because i talked trash to the mod on PM and was unpleasant. The transphobic narrative arised from the qcs-fyad debacle where i posted that the forum needed less mods no more and that SA is pretty good at self regulating the more egregious examples of hate speech. And that Nyla Rose, a trans wrestler, is not very good at her job at the current stage of her push.

lol get out of here idiot

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Tlou does have well written dialogue and acting it's just the narrative that's dumb boring tripe

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I hated the ending of TLoU1 which was intended so I decided I kinda liked it. But as a game I had zero fun; it was one of the only games I've played where I gave up and just set the difficulty to Easy just so I can blow through it as fast as possible.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Dunno about the rest of the world, but zombie media doesn't work for me if it's super dramatic; I also think the father-daughter vibe in TLOU is a huge drawback to the story, but that's just me.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
No idea what the current twitter narrative or whatever is for this game but reading that people are upset that to play the game you have to constantly do something the game tells you is bad as some dumbass mistake kinda ignores like the whole history of film doing the same thing for decades.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah and for decades ive been saying there should be multiple options for each film and how you want it to play out to choose from when you buy your ticket

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this is why analog media is inferior in all cases to dynamic digital entertainment

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ham posted:

Don't take my word for it, there's several people in that industry talking about it earlier in the thread.

I'm also working in the gaming industry (not as a dev though, fuuuuuck that) and there's definitely some poo poo around what you can and can't do regarding certain publishers games. There's a reason people drop out of gaming marketing so quickly.

Danger posted:

No idea what the current twitter narrative or whatever is for this game but reading that people are upset that to play the game you have to constantly do something the game tells you is bad as some dumbass mistake kinda ignores like the whole history of film doing the same thing for decades.

Films and games aren't the same medium and its disingenuous to pretend like they are.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah well my uncle said sony paid everyone off to give the game good reviews

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

dogstile posted:

Films and games aren't the same medium and its disingenuous to pretend like they are.

Sure, I agree, but I don't see why that's relevant, especially since this apparently occurs as a cutscene?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Danger posted:

is your stance here that people don't criticize plots in movies

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol. most of the reviews seem to be that the messaging is "it doesnt go beyond "the cycle of violence is hosed up and bad" which seems pretty on point. like a part of me is cool with ND pulling no loving punches and showing all of this poo poo as horribly as possible trying to go full blood meridian and Come and see. but the issue is those other pieces had other messages too. i keep hearing that while the characters are good and while there is other good story stuff. the overlwelming horribleness is overdone and it dampens the other stuff.

though, i am sorta amused at some critics complaining that it makes them feel bad, which i think the game is supposed to make you feel bad and gross, but thats more personal taste. that being said, i am gonna wait for some critique videos by youtubers i like and wait for it to go on sale on the ps5.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 12, 2020

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

is your stance here that people don't criticize plots in movies

No. It's that "Ellie or whoever kills a dog but the game says killing dogs is bad? Plot hole" isn't a critique.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

though, i am sorta amused at some critics complaining that it makes them feel bad, which i think the game is supposed to make you feel bad and gross
Right. Like "the game says killing is bad and it makes the killing gross and doing the killing becomes tedious and boring" all seems pretty consistent.
But again, I don't know I haven't played the game.

Danger fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 12, 2020

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I mean the Schindler's List comparison is pretty apt, like when Schindler climbed on top of his train, grabbed a Nazi dog in each hand and slammed them together causing them to explode in a shower of gore

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Danger posted:

No. It's that "Ellie or whoever kills a dog but the game says killing dogs is bad? Plot hole" isn't a critique.

it's not a critique because the game doesn't tell you killing dogs is bad

it's like schindler's list in that way, makes u think

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Danger posted:

Right. Like "the game says killing is bad and it makes the killing gross and doing the killing becomes tedious and boring" all seems pretty consistent.
But again, I don't know I haven't played the game.

ok so i think part of it is some reviewers are trying to ghost mode it and completly avoid combat because many games do that now but this one doesnt. i think the point is your either supposed to feel bad or mad for alot of the game outside other moments. idk. i was mixed with TLOU 1 and judging by reviews and leaks, i may weirdly enjoy this one more. but samurai game comes out next month. so i'll wait.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

What if killing the dog is Neil's way of saying he's done with this poo poo ? :thunk:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Danger posted:

No one's saying it's a plot hole, they're saying it's badly written, and in a very specific way that is exacerbated by the medium it's presented in.

If somebody wrote a pop song, and 45 seconds into it, there was a ten second long fart noise that the songwriter put in because they wanted to "challenge your notion of what it is to experience music", people would be totally within their right to think "This would probably be better if it wasn't for the fart noise in there".

They didn't HAVE to have you kill a dog in the game, especially BECAUSE it's a game, and you could do things like allow the player the choice to do it, or allow them to bypass the situation, or any number of things besides killing the dog. You have to kill the dog. Fine, whatever. But if all you're going to do with that situation is say "killing dogs is bad", then literally all you've done is made the player feel uncomfortable without actually saying anything. Which is, again, not the best way to go about writing something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[checking my watch] ah its still weird people are drawing the line at dogs and not humans

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Stux posted:

[checking my watch] ah its still weird people are drawing the line at dogs and not humans

i mean i love dogs but also i have killed dozens of dogs in other video games too. this one is just making a bigger deal about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stux posted:

it is weird that Neil Druckmann chose to draw the line there, I agree

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

that isn’t what most of the people talking about dog-killing in this thread are saying at all

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Stux posted:

you forgot to say "o'clock" at the end god DAMMIT stux no wonder no one takes you seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

No one's saying it's a plot hole, they're saying it's badly written, and in a very specific way that is exacerbated by the medium it's presented in.

If somebody wrote a pop song, and 45 seconds into it, there was a ten second long fart noise that the songwriter put in because they wanted to "challenge your notion of what it is to experience music", people would be totally within their right to think "This would probably be better if it wasn't for the fart noise in there".

They didn't HAVE to have you kill a dog in the game, especially BECAUSE it's a game, and you could do things like allow the player the choice to do it, or allow them to bypass the situation, or any number of things besides killing the dog. You have to kill the dog. Fine, whatever. But if all you're going to do with that situation is say "killing dogs is bad", then literally all you've done is made the player feel uncomfortable without actually saying anything. Which is, again, not the best way to go about writing something.

What I object to is that it's inherently bad writing and on it's face making the player feel uncomfortable is saying something. But you are right, I have no idea the context of that scene. Just saying it's bad on it's face because of technical reasons is really reductive. Like, yes they could have had you choose not to kill the dog but they didn't and they made you feel uncomfortable about being forced to do so. That's not a meaningless gesture and, as you say, it is by design.