Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

There Bias Two posted:

One should also factor in the possible heat within the car. It's been shown that CoV2 sterilization is possible at temperatures that the interior of a car will easily reach on a sunny day. It's not reliable, but it may have some effect.

Trump tweets his supporters to cure themselves by sitting in a locked car during the summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

boar guy posted:

i mean the car is parked with the windshield pointing in to the street in front of a garage door that gets too hot to touch for 6-8 hours a day due to direct sunlight. it's gonna have some effect, even if it's not a purpose built thing

it's weird how grossed out touching a PIN pad or entering the gate code to get in to our complex makes me feel, now. i also find myself sprinting to already opened doors so that i can catch them with my foot, and wrapping my shirt around my hands when i touch a crosswalk signal or cooler handle

I got one of these and put it on my keychain, it's loving great not only for PIN pads, lift buttons, etc. but also for opening doors and (my favourite) fridges in the supermarket: https://hygienickey.com/product/hygienic-key/ (doesn't work on touch screens tho)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZmpL2WI7Y

Glenn basically points out that health and public officials were up in arms about the virus being a high red alert crisis, but the day the protests started they seemingly ignored their previous dire statements. He brushes upon the context of their behavior and situation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

That sounds like a scene out of a zombie apocalypse movie. Why the hell are non-looters essentially trying to break into a loving garden center at all hours of the day and night???

The rest of the store was 24 hours, and these people don't read large signs, notice that normally automatic doors are not opening automatically, or that alarms are now going off. They also assume that there will be someone outside in near darkness ready and willing to sell them flowers. The greenhouse was kinda lovely, so we put cinder blocks in front of the doors to keep them closed at night, and people would pick them up and move them to get inside.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

rotinaj posted:

Yes, the UV light is not working in the way you want it to be, and the virus would be getting on stuff that you are bringing into the car

Like the mask

Covid19 is not very contagious through the surface of objects.

Getting infected by touching things you bought in a shop is very unlikely.

Yes, they can find the DNA of the virus there, but it is all dead. The virus really needs living tissue to survive. Covid19 much more than other corona viruses.

Even within the same household as an infected patient the transmission rate is remarkably low. Like 20% low.

Being careful is good, being paranoid, not so.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

boar guy posted:

i mean the car is parked with the windshield pointing in to the street in front of a garage door that gets too hot to touch for 6-8 hours a day due to direct sunlight. it's gonna have some effect, even if it's not a purpose built thing

it's weird how grossed out touching a PIN pad or entering the gate code to get in to our complex makes me feel, now. i also find myself sprinting to already opened doors so that i can catch them with my foot, and wrapping my shirt around my hands when i touch a crosswalk signal or cooler handle

You got covid on your shirt now! I just bring a Clorox wipe to open doors. Use it Immediately after keypads too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

boar guy posted:

yeah my wife got ordered back to work and is in contact with a hundred people every day, some of whom have been confirmed as covid cases. i try to limit my trips out to one time a week but the mask isn't for me, i'm just trying to minimize the spread. if i had more risk factors i'd go back to not going out at all, which i did for the first 8 weeks of the lockdown. im suffering no delusions that my procedure will protect me, i just don't want to breathe on the poor drive through guy especially because everyone around here is mocking the mask signs and outright disregarding them. wearing this drat uncomfortable thing while im out is the least i can do

I’m using both mask and face shield and from what I’ve read it’s a decent reduction in risk, from 20 to 70% depending on study

So yeah, don’t give up on this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’m using both mask and face shield and from what I’ve read it’s a decent reduction in risk, from 20 to 70% depending on study

So yeah, don’t give up on this

:same:

I've been using both since the beginning. I've only ever seen one other face shield in the wild, and it wasn't with a mask.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

the plastic in windshields that prevent them from shattering on impact also filters out almost all UV rays, you're all getting the roni

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwN5vYGiZws

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Thread:

https://twitter.com/LaurenWeberHP/status/1271431820534521856

:tif:

Mr Tall
May 6, 2009

Inept posted:

the plastic in windshields that prevent them from shattering on impact also filters out almost all UV rays, you're all getting the roni

Richard Feynman watched an atomic bomb go off through a truck windshield, and didn't lose his sight, so yeah. Don't rely on UV through car windows.

Mask chat: I wear one in the local shop. Got 50 of them from amazon. I don't trust them to protect me from other people, but if I'm asymptomatic and infectious, it protects other people from me.

I just wish every other fucker would do the same. Oh well.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

YeahTubaMike posted:

There are people, and there are customers. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck customers. Is it legal to have a rotation of guards -- or even vigilantes -- outside your store to physically prevent customers from entering? I'm not necessarily advocating VIOLENCE toward customers, but I think it would make sense to have B&E-ish rights to protect your store.

The store is currently guarded by a Blanc Double de Coubert rugose rose. Very prickly.

It's just nuts. So many places have suffered immensely due to covid, even other plant/flower shops, but ours has gotten steadily busier since March to the point where we're easily pulling double to triple our sales for this time last year (the impact covid has had on us is interesting in that we were no longer making large pieces for funerals and weddings because those were no longer happening. Other folks in the floral business were saying that Mother's Day was going to be a bust for the industry financially this year... This was no the case for us). Don't get me wrong, I'm actually enjoying that part, I just find having to direct and corral people more tiring and frustrating than anything else, especially when they're just browsing. I wanna go back to not letting anyone inside, lol.

Working at a museum and saying the same things and answering the same question was less annoying than having to manage eager shoppers in pandemic times. At least most people have been understanding and I don't expect everyone to read all the signage. Lord knows I miss signs 90% of the time because deep down inside, we are all customers. :(

I think I'm going to mostly give up telling folks what to do. I just can't do it, lol.

Oh, I think Ottawa has just about opened everything back up today.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 12, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The ‘reopen protests’ have pretty much been forgotten but the idiots involved in it are still doing damage

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Yes, they can find the DNA of the virus there, but it is all dead. The virus really needs living tissue to survive. Covid19 much more than other corona viruses.

Do you have a source for all that virus already being dead? One of those April studies drew a distinction (and still found it infectious on plastic for up to a week).

Burt Sexual posted:

You got covid on your shirt now! I just bring a Clorox wipe to open doors. Use it Immediately after keypads too

Those things can be pretty harsh on the skin so I hope you're wearing gloves too!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Even within the same household as an infected patient the transmission rate is remarkably low. Like 20% low.

I'm not normally pedantic enough to point out that SARS-CoV-2 is an RNA virus, not a DNA virus, but there are enough technical errors in your post to suggest that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, UV only works via line-of-sight. Even if the glass in your car absorbed zero UV, anything not directly exposed to light rays is not going to be getting sterilized by the sun.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 12, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I put my mask outside so the sun can sterilize it but make sure it's under an umbrella so the fabric won't fade.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm sorry but that's not true; many early surface studies only checked for RNA fragments but since then there have been multiple studies that check for infectious virus samples. These studies did not check for whether those samples constituted an infectious load, but the viruses were "alive" (as alive as viruses can be, anyway). For example, this one from The Lancet checked not only for RNA fragments but also for infectious virus samples

The likelihood of catching covid-19 from various infected surfaces is unknown to this day, due to numerous technical and ethical roadblocks. The likelihood of touching an infected surface in a place like the grocery store or out in public is probably low in general, but non-zero. So the overall risk is low at least due to low likelihood of encounter, but this "the viruses are always dead once they touch a surface" narrative you're presenting is false.

naem
May 29, 2011

so I’ve been wearing a construction type 95 mask (with a valve so I didn’t donate to a hospital since it only protects me) for jogging and the few I have (bought for fire season) are getting beat up

how much less safe am I jogging my fat rear end outside with a cloth sneeze guard type mask, especially around all the mask-less a-holes

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

naem posted:

so I’ve been wearing a construction type 95 mask (with a valve so I didn’t donate to a hospital since it only protects me) for jogging and the few I have (bought for fire season) are getting beat up

how much less safe am I jogging my fat rear end outside with a cloth sneeze guard type mask, especially around all the mask-less a-holes

Masks protect others from you, not you from others

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

From seeing your ugly mug I mean

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZmpL2WI7Y

Glenn basically points out that health and public officials were up in arms about the virus being a high red alert crisis, but the day the protests started they seemingly ignored their previous dire statements. He brushes upon the context of their behavior and situation.

It's like we're seeing reason take a backseat to emotions on a societal scale. Truly breathtaking.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I had to go to Walmart today. They weren't letting anyone inside without a mask, which means that the ~5% of people in the store without masks had masks and took them off when they got inside. Including the two navy dudes behind me at the register who ignored the distancing rules and started unloading their cart onto the belt right behind me. :911:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I certainly watched that YouTube that is almost two hours long

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

poverty goat posted:

I had to go to Walmart today. They weren't letting anyone inside without a mask, which means that the ~5% of people in the store without masks had masks and took them off when they got inside. Including the two navy dudes behind me at the register who ignored the distancing rules and started unloading their cart onto the belt right behind me. :911:

I'm at my dealership right now getting emissions testing and it's the only place in Utah I've seen everyone actually wearing masks.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Zugzwang posted:

I'm not normally pedantic enough to point out that SARS-CoV-2 is an RNA virus, not a DNA virus, but there are enough technical errors in your post to suggest that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, yeah, I realized it should be RNA just minutes after posting this when I listened to Dorsten, when he explained a neat trick to alter the virus RNA by copying it onto DNA, modify the DNA, generating new RNA and then reform the virus by putting it into a suitable host cell that is in the right state.

Fact remains that the chance to get infected through a surface is very small.

Of course I wash my hands when I get home and use some cleaning fluid outside shops after I touched public doorhandles, etc., but those simple measures are enough. It is not necessary to become paranoid about it.

The whole trick of this pandemic is to concentrate on the really high risk situations and prevent those, but to enable activities that imply only limited risks. Otherwise everybody is going to ignore every caution when they are constrained too much for too long. As undisciplined Americans prove on a daily basis.

But you seem pedantic enough in many of your postings, so don't worry about that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Uhh. This might be true on the scale of hours or days but certainly not minutes. There is a reason they do a 'deep clean' of patient rooms where they had a confirm Covid case, and its not just to make the staff feel better. You absolutely can get the virus from grabbing the same door handle as a wet hand of a sick person from 4 minutes before.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

The whole trick of this pandemic is to concentrate on the really high risk situations and prevent those, but to enable activities that imply only limited risks. Otherwise everybody is going to ignore every caution when they are constrained too much for too long. As undisciplined Americans prove on a daily basis.

New Zealand and Vietnam are living proof that this is the wrong take.

But you seem pedantic enough in many of your postings, so don't worry about that.

Spreading misinformation is one thing...but do you have to be so smug about it?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

are we dead yet

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

numberoneposter posted:

are we dead yet

we died a long time ago, this is just limbo. grab some cheese, take a load off

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06AX7godgxg

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

numberoneposter posted:

are we dead yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVUPCJwQwA

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I want a day-by-day case count graph from the beginning of this for all states without New York. Any way to find that/any site offer it?

edit someone got me in cspam

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 13, 2020

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
We're officially the dumbest country on this planet. :911:

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 13, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

zer0spunk posted:

we died a long time ago, this is just limbo. grab some cheese, take a load off
How long does purgatory typically last?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Brock Samson posted:

I want a day-by-day case count graph from the beginning of this for all states without New York. Any way to find that/any site offer it?

edit someone got me in cspam

Link?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

naem posted:

I've been reading consistently that you can run without a mask out of doors so long as you aren't in more than incidental (passing) contact. In the one country where they've traced percentages from transmission context South Korea reported .83% of transmission was reported from outdoor contact which I believe was too little to prove it's even possible at all. If you're outside with folks in a long term conversation you should social distance but according to Canadian provincial and federal health experts being outside is the best possible way not to get sick.

That said of course everyone should wear a mask in public indoor spaces though. It started to normalize in my city but fell off rapidly, unfortunately. I was just out for groceries and almost everyone was maskless. Cases in my province are way, way down and it was never serious, but...

fake edit: please do correct me if I'm wrong or if there are sources that mitigate what I've been hearing so far

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I thought the study on Covid life on surfaces was up to 7 days on metals, and 3 on everything else?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=505650920#post505650920 csv linked I'm gonna play with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

numberoneposter posted:

How long does purgatory typically last?

until they call your number