Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Kansas City does have a weirdly deep mid range beer scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I do not feel good about Nightmare on Elm St 2

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

I feel extremely good about it

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Elm Street 2 documentary on Shudder is good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

You should, it rules. Now go watch that Scream, Queen documentary about it.

I got a review copy of that Edge movie, Money Plane and it's baffling. It strikes a Snakes on a Plane tone and is weirdly gory (at one point a dude gets both of his ears ripped off). What's Kelsey Grammer doing here? Denise Richards plays Edge's wife and doesn't get ten lines, I don't think.

What a weird movie. I would actually say this is beneath Edge's level of talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aETz_dRDEys

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
NOES2 is very weird because the director swears it’s not gay and everyone else is like, “yeah, we actively tried to make this as gay as possible.”

Or at least that’s what I remember from the Elm Street doc, which is really good!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

taking this to the general thread at the request of jru

Lamuella posted:

Saints Row The Third was better than all of these.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It had a gang made up of Lucha guys, so this opinion ought to be uncontroversial.

the lucha gang in SR3 sucks and is boring and the good guy luchadore who joins your crew named Angel de la Muerte is voiced by Hulk loving Hogan of all people so plbltbtbltlbtlt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I dug SR3 and 4 but man nothing comes close to how good SR2's story and rival gangs are, and the utterly monstrous things The Boss does to them in order to get back on top.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SR3 is just dogshit, SR4 is maybe my favorite open world game and has Roddy Piper and Keith David doing the They Live gimmick

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Jerusalem posted:

I dug SR3 and 4 but man nothing comes close to how good SR2's story and rival gangs are, and the utterly monstrous things The Boss does to them in order to get back on top.

SR2 was probably my favorite game of the series as well, just hoping they are close to finishing the remastered version they announced a while back.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SR2 was my favourite too. The map was kinda generic and it was buggy as gently caress but literally everything else was amazing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

SR2 was my favourite too. The map was kinda generic and it was buggy as gently caress but literally everything else was amazing

thats an interesting take actually because one of the complaints about SR3 from longtime SR2 fans was how Steelport, in comparison to Stilwater, was incredibly generic and none of the neighborhoods really had their own distinct identity, whereas every area of Stilwater felt unique to one another

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I enjoyed SR4 the most but SR3 was also good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I enjoyed SR3 when it came out but going back to it now it's incredibly hard to ignore that it's like, half a game

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i learned how to play mahjong tonight to do it in yakuza. i also finished yakuza kiwami. now i'll play kiwami 2, or maybe not yet :)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I bought Dark Arisen because it was 50% off on The Switch. I will play it later today. Maybe.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

NienNunb posted:

Proposed to my partner tonight, she said yes.

hell yeah congrats

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

confuckingrats! now powerwash your holes!

https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1271440821531877377

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The whole arc with The Brotherhood is so good and yet, so insane at the end. That ending scene with the monster truck... holy poo poo.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SR 3 and 4 are way better than SR2 due in part to the gameplay being better and I enjoyed playing a puckish rogue more than a sociopathic monster.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Taint's Row

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

congrats on the wife. now you can say my wife borat style for real. and not for fake

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My wife

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

saint's row isn't very good, in general. Lol. mywife

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgiz0A-PYQ

saints row

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jim cornette

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

jim cornette

tator tots.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

holy crap lois, etc.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've been replaying Saints Row The Third and Saints Row IV this past week and ehhh, I don't think these games hold up all that well.

The Third plays... not too badly, I guess, but the combat is quite floaty and none of the weapons feel remotely satisfying until you spend a million dollars upgrading them. The big brute enemies can also gently caress right off. The story is a disjointed mess because the game was clearly rushed, and the writing still tries entirely too hard to be all wacky and hilarious and works about as well as WWE's attempts at writing comedy (which, to be fair, was also very much the case with Saints Row 1's attempts at jokes, and even 2 was hit or miss in terms of scripted comedy). I'm also not sure why they thought the luchador gang leader should be the big bad (instead of, say, the guy who killed Gat in the intro, who gets unceremoniously disposed of in a blink-and-you-miss it cutscene a couple of hours in and is barely ever mentioned again) or why I'd choose to sacrifice my friends and Burt Reynolds just to kill that loser, or why there is so much wrestling poo poo in the game in general. I generally like both wrestling and Saints Row, but not so much together.

I had also completely forgotten how gross everything involving Zimos the autotune-voiced pimp is. I don't know about you, but I didn't particularly enjoy wacky comedy hijinks such as "freeing human trafficking victims from shipping containers so you can force them to work for Zimos or just sell them back to their abusers" and "Zimos forcing you to pose as a sex slave (which involves getting in a van and getting drugged, beaten, stripped and god knows what else) to infiltrate an S/M club" even in 2011. The fact all of this is played entirely for laughs just makes it more uncomfortable.

SRIV is... I don't even know what the gently caress this is. The traversal is a lot of fun and screwing around with crazy superpowers is great and all, but at this point the series has just completely gone off the rails in terms of both story and gameplay. I initially got into Saints Row because it was GTA with lots of fun gameplay additions and a focus on customization, and while SRIV does a lot of things well it's clearly not the same game anymore. The humor is almost entirely pop culture references now. At least there isn't any creepy Zimos bullshit in this one, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see what Volition does with the upcoming Saints Row 5 or whatever it's called. They're absolutely not going to be able to please both the old-school crowd and the fans who got into the series with The Third and IV, that's just not going to happen. Considering how much more popular the later games are, it'd probably be silly for them not to cater to that crowd so I'm fully expecting to be disappointed.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 12, 2020

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Knives Out is on Prime starting today for anyone who hasn't seen it or wants to rewatch it.

God drat that final shot always makes me so happy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SR2 -legit wonky but fun game. GTA but fun
SR3 -tried to make the wonky more palattable and succeeded.
SR4 -desperation game. Started as a DLC for SR3 but got pushed to full release status because money was needed to keep the devhouse lights on.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I think it’s also important to consider SR games in the shadow of GTA4, which many considered to be painfully “realistic” and stepped away from a lot of the more fun elements that San Andreas and Vice City had put together.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sherndon226/status/1271596310081294336?s=19

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

GTA IV owned.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Or knee day. :cry:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

NienNunb posted:

GTA IV owned.

It really did.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I don't dislike IV but I honestly got more fun out of Chinatown Wars. It just felt more fun to rampage in that game

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think vice city was the last game where i even wanted to do rampaging and stuff. i don't know why. now i just want to play through the lame rear end stories and drive/ride around doing jumps or flying off hills and stuff. big fan of the parachuting

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For GTAIV, I loved the city, the gameplay, even didn't mind the driving once I got used to it, but the effort to tell a more serious and "deep" story and the downer of an ending detracted from the game for me. That's something I dug about The Ballad of Gay Tony, it ends with not only Luis and Tony getting free and clear and able to go back to running their clubs again but with the homeless guy finding the diamonds. A big appeal of the GTA games for me are how you go through all this hosed up poo poo for what is ultimately a happy ending, with the backdrop being the pursuit of the American Dream.

It's cool that GTAIV wanted to subvert that by showing the darker side of the nasty reality of the American Dream, but that didn't make for a particularly satisfying resolution to a game/for characters I spent so much time with. The story of GTAIV is essentially,"Everything is awful and people poo poo on you and even when you "win" you lose because better things aren't possible" and I really didn't enjoy that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Why didn't they ever make another Sleeping Dogs