Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is there a mod that adds barbed wire or something else that slows movement (not necessarily while harming) that doesn't provide cover? Would that be too strong?

It would be kind of cool to have barbed wire and maybe trap-noticing raids could have members with wire cutters or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BattleMaster posted:

Is there a mod that adds barbed wire or something else that slows movement (not necessarily while harming) that doesn't provide cover? Would that be too strong?

It would be kind of cool to have barbed wire and maybe trap-noticing raids could have members with wire cutters or something.

Yes, I've used it and when I get home I'll find it for you. Maybe Vanilla Extended security?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

BattleMaster posted:

A bunch off the World war mods have it as do some of the defense centric mods.

In all of them it tends to be okayish and gets shot out easily when people fire through it (except for the mods that let you select what materials to build it with, in which case enjoy your indestructible monowire that lops off limbs).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

How should I do outfits? It feels like a lot of micro to manage profession specific uniforms unless I have a very large colony and can have people specialize in just one thing. The other thing is that specifically kitting up for defence seems to take a long time for everyone to get in their armour, but I figure if everyone is walking around in armour all the time it'll wear out and they'll be slow as molasses.

Oh and what happens if I have a default soldier uniform with, say, a helmet, but only have one helmet in store, and then order everyone to wear the soldier uniform? Whoever gets the only helmet first keeps it?

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Vanilla Security Expanded has this, the hurty version, in addition to a bunch of other fun stuff.

Sulphagnist posted:

Oh and what happens if I have a default soldier uniform with, say, a helmet, but only have one helmet in store, and then order everyone to wear the soldier uniform? Whoever gets the only helmet first keeps it?

There's a mod called Armor Racks that really helps with this. Three different tiers of rack, basic->assisted->mending. The assisted one helps your guys suit up so no worries about the slow equip time. You can assign a rack to a colonist and throw their entire loadout (weapon included) on there. Drop a few in a bunker antechamber and you're good to go.

Edit: vvvv It says on the mod page it's compatible with the Fast Track, but looking around on the workshop Fast Track may have been discontinued? Additionally going back in the mod comments it looks like there's some funkiness in that the stands don't want to store ammo added by CE. So I'd say it might work? I don't use CE but I'd devmode test it to be sure before I added it to any ongoing game.

Chobayt fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 12, 2020

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Chobayt posted:

There's a mod called Armor Racks that really helps with this. Three different tiers of rack, basic->assisted->mending. The assisted one helps your guys suit up so no worries about the slow equip time. You can assign a rack to a colonist and throw their entire loadout (weapon included) on there. Drop a few in a bunker antechamber and you're good to go.

I heard this doesn't handle CE loadouts/sidearms well, is that the case?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

BattleMaster posted:

In vanilla you can build your killbox around shallow water or, lacking that, around wood floors that you allow to catch fire so they leave behind burned floor

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thank you very much for the mortar accuracy mod.

Sulphagnist posted:

The other thing is that specifically kitting up for defence seems to take a long time for everyone to get in their armour, but I figure if everyone is walking around in armour all the time it'll wear out and they'll be slow as molasses.

Most attacks have significant downtime before they start unless they spawn in the middle of the base. Certainly enough to hit the lockers, shoot some steroids and get ready to crack skulls. You can also wear a lot of armor for 1 year+ before it'll approach the 50% degrading state, I've seen armor that degrades at .2 or .6 per day out of 100-300 durability.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"Area Revealed"

Secure farmland inside the mountain! This is it. This is the destined map.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Epsilon Plus posted:

I heard this doesn't handle CE loadouts/sidearms well, is that the case?

I'm using armor racks with simple sidearms and haven't run into issues. I think pawns won't swap their sidearms to the rack but I have my guys hold their weapons all the time anyway since there's not a big downside to it.

Another option is just letting your pawns wear a flak vest and helmet all the time. That's a decent bit of protection with only a fairly small hit to movement.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Doomykins posted:

"Area Revealed"

Secure farmland inside the mountain! This is it. This is the destined map.

Where do you get snake people from?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chobayt posted:

Vanilla Security Expanded has this, the hurty version, in addition to a bunch of other fun stuff.

Thanks for finding the barbed wire for me! Y'all should check it out, it's fun.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sulphagnist posted:

How should I do outfits? It feels like a lot of micro to manage profession specific uniforms unless I have a very large colony and can have people specialize in just one thing. The other thing is that specifically kitting up for defence seems to take a long time for everyone to get in their armour, but I figure if everyone is walking around in armour all the time it'll wear out and they'll be slow as molasses.

I love Recon Armor because it lacks the movement penalty of Marine Armor. Helmets don't cause an issue.

I don't like Vanilla Clothing Expanded just for the reason of too many drat clothing options. Vanilla is big enough for me.

I opted to go with a mod that allows equipment mending - both a low tech version (make mending kits, spend time making them), and a high tech version (get tech print and make mechanoid healing storage containers). I personally felt it was weird that you couldn't spend time and resources fixing clothes, armor, and weapons.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Moon Slayer posted:

Seriously I need more aliums, I'm trying to form a Federation here even if they're mostly anime

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Slither are snake folk with minimal differences, as well as Ikquan(Fish) and Klickmala(Insects) by the same author. There's some little touches like Ikquans are happy to be Soaking Wet(+3) instead of the usual -3 but mostly they are reskinned human colonists and they're a neat and simple way to toss some aliens into the mix.

Naga are a rad, very different race with their own unique jade-focused crafting, tech, pros and cons and big changes overall. Natural poison, prefer the heat and get cold more easily, can't wear pants, anti-social, biased towards eating meat, etc. You need a naga craftsman of sufficient skill to use their work-bench at all.

I also use Lapelli and Android Tiers so I have a handful of non-humans and some robots running around after my first vanilla base without going too heavy on the anime. There are a lot more alien race mods, like some with Faster Than Light races, or different varieties of robots. Note that some races change balance a lot. Androids can make base duties very easy and the cheap ones cost virtually nothing to keep around(though if I can make advanced robotics, haven't I earned and progressed beyond simple duties?) Lapelli are a "bigger and stronger" than humans race with natural claws so they cause near deaths in social fights!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 13, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Sulphagnist posted:

There is absolutely no need to micro profession based outfits outside of maybe(and this is a big maybe because I have never bothered with it) a dedicated doctor. I keep everyone in armor, the armor description will tell you if there is a movement speed penalty but its generally fine unless its like super heavy armor.

Keeping people in armor doesnt slow game flow down too badly and lets you respond quickly to drop pod or infestation events.

And yeah it will be first dibs on the helmet.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks, I'll check out Vanilla Security Expanded.

Is there a mod that lets me add material types to the clothing restrictions? Like preferably reserving devilstrand clothes only for combatants, and such like that.

What about assigning specific beds for prisoners and animals?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So! My mechanoid swarm is only turrets, and they're awake and angry.... at zombies. Given that I have a bunch of tribal people with two guns between them, we're leaving the turrets alone and letting them do their job. This does mean we had to give up on the north fence line as it's in the turret range, but whatever, we can live without those fields.

Goodbye, field and northern fence, you served me well. The windmills + one tiny fence now keep the zombies out from that direction.

A zombie spawn event in from the north! .... the north, where my turrets are

:allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Thanks, I'll check out Vanilla Security Expanded.

Is there a mod that lets me add material types to the clothing restrictions? Like preferably reserving devilstrand clothes only for combatants, and such like that.

What about assigning specific beds for prisoners and animals?

No idea about the rest, but Animals Logic is for assigning beds to pets

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1098354593&searchtext=animal+logic

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

c-c-c-c-c-combo post!

Just wanted to swing in and say that hey the devmode is really nice, now that I've accepted that it's okay to use it. I'm not aiming to cheat and make things perfect for my colonists, but dying to malaria is really stupid so my dude can have immunity. Firing up quests is nice, because some of them are fun to play. And other things. It's just a nice tool to help make my colony more engaging, and I like that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I had all my worst pawns arrested and one resisted and the person arresting her didn't even give me the chance to knock her down or even slow down the time. He just cut her head off in one swing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Katt posted:

I had all my worst pawns arrested and one resisted and the person arresting her didn't even give me the chance to knock her down or even slow down the time. He just cut her head off in one swing.

There can only be one!

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Armor progression as I understand it is: start with whatever, then get everyone clothes, usually the basic cowboy hat, duster, button down, and pants. Then upgrade to devilstrand sets, then gather resources to upgrade to all recon armor and cataphract helms. I usually skip plate armor because it is so slowing and early game is about position more than attrition. Recon armor has kept me good through all my heavily modded games.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Thanks for the tips, I think what I will do is have everyone wear devilstrand light armour and helmets for now but get a mod that allows you to repair clothes (I was also surprised that there was no way to do this in vanilla).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

how can you get handling trained if all your animals need 7 and the wildlife too. I don't want to lose my cool cobra or breeding pair of elephants

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Leal posted:

There can only be one!

Indeed!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Danaru posted:

Seriously I need more aliums, I'm trying to form a Federation here even if they're mostly anime

Xeno Humans - Adds 4 different modified humans: heat resistant but sleepy scalemen, very fighty but die young soldiermorphs, furry wolfmen and perfect socialite designermates.

Faster than Light races:
Rockmen strong and slow.
Crystal strongish and can summon crystal walls (you can butcher their corpses for their heart to have other pawns do this.)
Engi bad at combat but good at making, can build cores/ram/coolers to socket into their body to upgrade them.
Mantis good at combat but bad at making, built in claw melee weapons with the option to create synthetic upgrades.
Zoltans explode on death and passively power nearby batteries.
Lanius drain oxygen in rooms they are in extinguishing fires and lives.
Slugs innate psychic power and create weird slug dew resources.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

how can you get handling trained if all your animals need 7 and the wildlife too. I don't want to lose my cool cobra or breeding pair of elephants

If you already have them tamed, just have a guy with passion set to training them at high priority and that should hopefully be enough to keep them from regressing. Failed attempts still give experience and the passion should mean he levels up fast off it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Shearing and milking critters also provides experience. Alpacas are easy as gently caress to tame and keep, provide wool quickly, and if you're feeling silly you can train them to attack. They're so docile you'll never have to retrain them, too.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I tamed three boomalopes to provide fuel for my power plants and they kept breeding and I ended up with seven of them and they stripped the grazing area completely bare.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One of the things added by the Kijin is a tech where when you harvest a plant, you get a little bit of haygrass as well, and it turns out it adds up quick when you dont have many animals :shepface: I wound up taming two mega sloths just to try to stem the tide of haygrass

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Moon Slayer posted:

I tamed three boomalopes to provide fuel for my power plants and they kept breeding and I ended up with seven of them and they stripped the grazing area completely bare.

Do they still explode inside the house when they die of natural causes/disease?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Katt posted:

Do they still explode inside the house when they die of natural causes/disease?
Search your heart.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Asimo posted:

Search your heart.

Figures. I had a pawn put down a wounded one and I just assumed that the "finish off" command would be a dignified peaceful and undramatic end.

Instead said pawn got third degree burns on her eyeballs. I assume that she was as surprised as I was or she might have covered her face before doing the deed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah if you have to euthanize a boomalope your best bet is to set a one-tile restricted zone somewhere non-flammable and have a drafted colonist shoot them from a few tiles away. Or if they're able to walk, draft a one-person caravan with the boomalope, leave town and abandon them, then head right back into town, but where's the fun in that?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just realized the reason I havent been getting any bandit camps or anything is because my island is surrounded my ocean squares so they have nowhere to spawn :negative: is there any way to make the game ignore ocean tiles when it looks for somewhere to spawn stuff?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Danaru posted:

I just realized the reason I havent been getting any bandit camps or anything is because my island is surrounded my ocean squares so they have nowhere to spawn :negative: is there any way to make the game ignore ocean tiles when it looks for somewhere to spawn stuff?

Try Boats? I think I recall raiders coming to my island base last time I tried it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Piell posted:

Try Boats? I think I recall raiders coming to my island base last time I tried it.

I've got no problem with raiders and caravans getting to me, I mean it's not spawning any targets for me to fly my bionic super soldiers to :v: I'll give this a shot though, even if I dont use the boats themselves it adds some cool stuff that would help the island

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is there a vehicle mod?

My high tech space marine murder squads lugging loot by loving buffalo is not appropriate.

Like I don't need vehicles they can drive. Just some animal AI re-skinned to trucks etc. You can feed them chemfuel and they have a ton of cargo capacity. Probably easy to mod.

Katt fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Katt posted:

Is there a vehicle mod?

My high tech space marine murder squads lugging loot by loving buffalo is not appropriate.

Like I don't need vehicles they can drive. Just some animal AI re-skinned to trucks etc. You can feed them chemfuel and they have a ton of cargo capacity. Probably easy to mod.

SRTS is the goon favorite but I prefer Improved Cargo Transport because it's just one research and faster transport. I could see someone saying it's overpowered, but it makes the worst part of the game quicker.