Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I thought brown countries were incapable of having fair and free elections? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Munin posted:

The term itself is pretty well defined though even if, as with everything, there are issues categorising edge cases. Not to mention that even in the category of authoritarian regimes there are degrees and kinds.

This is taken from wikipedia since it puts the essentials better than I could. The main features are:
    1. Limited political pluralism, realized with constraints on the legislature, political parties, and interest groups
    2. Political legitimacy based upon appeals to emotion, and identification of the regime as a necessary evil to combat "easily recognizable societal problems, such as underdevelopment, and insurgency"
    3. Minimal political mobilization and suppression of anti-regime activities
    4. Ill-defined executive powers, often vague and shifting, which extends the power of the executive

Not trying to veer too far out of Latin America discussion, but these could easily be applied to countries like France/USA/Canada as Venezuela/Cuba/etc.

Like you said, there are 'degrees of authoritarianism', which primarily measure approval by the west. Painting Russia's smothering of its opposition groups as uniquely worse than the US state assassination campaign against civil rights groups is grounded more in propaganda than fact.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Squalid posted:

i dont really know why so much emphasis is put on the statistics. The OAS report basically many, many allegations. The principle argument for fraud however rests on irregularities in the electronic voting system and with paper ballots. Additionally there was a statistical analysis of voting patterns. But even if there was a problem with that analysis, the OAS's argument doesn't rest on that.

Now you say the OAS's claims are unsubstantiated. What kind of substantiation would you like to see? I can show you their sources if you'd like.

what a loving terrible post

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Why is it so important to you to validate the pretext for a fascist coup?

e: and just to be clear, we can see you bullshitting again with the "only disagrees on a single point" claim. They reject the entirety of OAS's statistical analysis. They did not investigate and don't say they support any of OAS's claims. The article focuses on OAS's statistical bullshit because that's what this independent study was looking at.

e2: on the article itself: "As the preliminary vote count began, on Oct. 20, 2019, tensions ran high. When the tallying stopped — suddenly and without explanation — then resumed again a full day later, it showed Mr. Morales had just enough votes to eke out a victory."

Isn't it common for quick counts to stop when they?

firstly its important to me because i very sincerely believe that reality matters, and we can't just re-imagine it to suit our purposes. For this reason it bothers me when people apparently don't care.

Secondly the events leading up to Morales removal matter for Bolivians insofar as it relates to how Bolivia should proceed from here. I am in agreement with the OAS that new elections need to be held post-haste with sufficient measures to insure they they can be trusted. Trusted elections are the only way to resolve Bolivia's crisis, and if new elections are equally marred the result will inevitably be disaster for Bolivians.

Pointing out that this research (which i might add, is in conflict with several other papers also pending publication) doesn't actually dispute the vast majority of OAS claims is important because posters here are already framing the NYTimes article as completely discrediting all of the OAS's research. Which it doesn't do. Assuming they are correct here and the OAS did gently caress up it wouldn't have changed their conclusions, resting as they did on a great deal of additional evidence.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jose posted:

what a loving terrible post

your criticism might sting more if you weren't literally the dumbest poster in gbs

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Squalid posted:

your criticism might sting more if you weren't literally the dumbest poster in gbs

Turn on your monitor.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Squalid posted:

i dont really know why so much emphasis is put on the statistics. The OAS report basically many, many allegations. The principle argument for fraud however rests on irregularities in the electronic voting system and with paper ballots. Additionally there was a statistical analysis of voting patterns. But even if there was a problem with that analysis, the OAS's argument doesn't rest on that.

Now you say the OAS's claims are unsubstantiated. What kind of substantiation would you like to see? I can show you their sources if you'd like.

The OAS report has basically no other points, it's a gish gallop. The IT complaints can be dismissed out of hand, similar setups exist in the western world without calls to redo elections. Their voter forgery complaints had little concrete evidence (so little opposition groups quickly started lighting ballot boxes on fire to prevent any verification). Additionally, giving the obvious issues with their statistical model which were raised days after the first reports were released, and OASs history of invalidating legitimate elections in Haiti/Venezuela/etc, it's reasonable to question their other claims which had little to no evidence.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squalid posted:

i wanna see thy transubstantiation of sources

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
we need to gget to the source of this. i need to see the substantiation

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Squalid posted:

firstly its important to me because i very sincerely believe that reality matters, and we can't just re-imagine it to suit our purposes. For this reason it bothers me when people apparently don't care.

Secondly the events leading up to Morales removal matter for Bolivians insofar as it relates to how Bolivia should proceed from here. I am in agreement with the OAS that new elections need to be held post-haste with sufficient measures to insure they they can be trusted. Trusted elections are the only way to resolve Bolivia's crisis, and if new elections are equally marred the result will inevitably be disaster for Bolivians.

Pointing out that this research (which i might add, is in conflict with several other papers also pending publication) doesn't actually dispute the vast majority of OAS claims is important because posters here are already framing the NYTimes article as completely discrediting all of the OAS's research. Which it doesn't do. Assuming they are correct here and the OAS did gently caress up it wouldn't have changed their conclusions, resting as they did on a great deal of additional evidence.

"OAS research". "New elections should be held post haste" said the idiot clown after new elections have been postponed for more months and months now. How the gently caress are you still arguing this now after it is more than obvious that none of the OAS election heroes have any interest in having free or fair elections anytime soon.

Like, really, which audience are you writing this poo poo for? Are there millions of impressionable lurkers in this thread that need to be properly propagandized?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Squalid posted:

you're defending a fascist coup currently starving poor people and suppressing protests with the military you ghoul

https://twitter.com/frrodriguezc/status/1270794349291454469?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'd rather be dumb as gently caress than defend fascists in dnd

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
yes, but what about reality Jose?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

The OAS report has basically no other points, it's a gish gallop. The IT complaints can be dismissed out of hand, similar setups exist in the western world without calls to redo elections. Their voter forgery complaints had little concrete evidence (so little opposition groups quickly started lighting ballot boxes on fire to prevent any verification). Additionally, giving the obvious issues with their statistical model which were raised days after the first reports were released, and OASs history of invalidating legitimate elections in Haiti/Venezuela/etc, it's reasonable to question their other claims which had little to no evidence.

If similar IT problems are common, can you show me an example? Nobody has ever done that yet. In fact these issues were first identified by the private company contracted to run the election. The voter forgery complaints were also also based on the most concrete evidence, the ballot envelopes themselves. Also have you considered that the OAS doesn't have a history of invalidating elections in either of those two countries? Like what Venezuelan election are you thinking of where they refused to certify? because I can't remember it. The OAS has never invalidated a Haitian election either that I know of, what year are you thinking of?

Oh by the way, in case anyone was interested, Bolivia's new election have been given a new date

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/bolivia-increases-virus-measures-for-elections/1863886

quote:

Bolivia's Supreme Electoral Court (TSE) announced Tuesday it reached an agreement with political parties to hold elections Sept. 6.

The Court said Wednesday it is taking additional measures to ensure safe voting in elections in September amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Elections set for May 3 was suspended by the TSE after the government declared a 14-day national quarantine to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

The Latin American nation has nearly 11,000 diagnosed cases and 376 deaths, according to the running tally by US-based Johns Hopkins University.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the OAS has indeed validated every Haiti election won by a right wing crony of theirs, with the exception of that one Ariste term they let him have before orchestrating a coup

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
like... loving hell man, do you even know the first goddamn thing about Haitian history?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Hey everyone! Contrary to popular belief, this thread is for debate and discussion, not for dishing out sick one-line burns with no explanation toward anyone who has the incredible audacity to disagree with you on anything. Cut it the hell out.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Kurnugia posted:

like... loving hell man, do you even know the first goddamn thing about Haitian history?

He admitted he knew nothing about Haiti’s election earlier in the thread, then read the CIA Facebook on Haiti, then said Haiti should have their legitimate results invalidated because democracy can be complicated

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

Hey everyone! Contrary to popular belief, this thread is for debate and discussion, not for dishing out sick one-line burns with no explanation toward anyone who has the incredible audacity to disagree with you on anything. Cut it the hell out.

sorry. I did have a serious point with Haiti tho, Haiti being a textbook case of what is currently going on in Bolivia, and with the OAS having the exact same role in Haiti post 2004 coup as it is currently having in Bolivia

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Hey guys, just to let you all know that The Dollop did a recent episode about the failed Venezuela coup.

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcast/the-dollop/430---jordan-goudreau-vs.-venezuela

Trigger Warning for the Anti-Maduro crowd: They mention a couple of times that Maduro is a lovely "dictator" is he's just letting Guaido walk around. :v:

Otherwise, it was a pretty fun listening experience.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't think anyone will argue that Guaido isn't a total incompetent but that's what happens to an opposition when the leaders are jailed one by one over a period of years. The PSUV are probably letting him run around because they know how much of a total failure at everything he is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't think anyone will argue that Guaido isn't a total incompetent but that's what happens to an opposition when the leaders are jailed one by one over a period of years. The PSUV are probably letting him run around because they know how much of a total failure at everything he is.

Does it really take that much to have a miserably incompetent opposition led by unlikeable failures?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE5kgkgYtvU

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
They' alReADy AgrEeD To EleCTionS! Merely 9 months after their "mandate" ran out! Oh, and they will be cancelled anyway!

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1271572328045051905

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's funny how we needed a coup to fix Bolivia's election, but now that there's a military dictatorship that won't hold elections at all hm well it would be really nice if they would

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Spice World War II posted:

They' alReADy AgrEeD To EleCTionS! Merely 9 months after their "mandate" ran out! Oh, and they will be cancelled anyway!

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1271572328045051905

Hope the MAS comes back with "given poor leadership seems to be the biggest indicator of poor outcomes and the two worst performing countries are right-wing, racist, fascist populists, seems like voting you out is the greatest public health initiative possible".

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Electoralism is a dead end, especially under actual fascists. Wishing MAS best of luck when they have to start chucking poo poo.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

So they just fired the health minister for hiding 50% of corona deaths, and replaced him with an antivax sympathizer. Cool cool.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Redczar posted:

So they just fired the health minister for hiding 50% of corona deaths, and replaced him with an antivax sympathizer. Cool cool.

Which country? Definitely not Brazil since we haven't had a health minister for months and the president would give him a medal for hiding corona deaths.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Chile. Though the av made it obvious, sorry

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Water is wet, the sky is blue, western media is an imperialist tool.

https://twitter.com/BrasilWire/status/1272496673038782465

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bagual posted:

Water is wet, the sky is blue, western media is an imperialist tool.

https://twitter.com/BrasilWire/status/1272496673038782465

Destruction to her agenda.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What the hell does "Ukrainization" of Brazil even mean? Can't be an euphemism for "whitening" because Ukrainians most certainly aren't, given they're Slavs.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

ZearothK posted:

What the hell does "Ukrainization" of Brazil even mean? Can't be an euphemism for "whitening" because Ukrainians most certainly aren't, given they're Slavs.

I think it means emulating Euromaidan

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ZearothK posted:

Nazis marching around freely spanking politicians, journalists and leftists

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/BrianMteleSUR/s...ingawful.com%2F

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Barack Obama being able to claim credit for both Jair Bolsonaro and Donald Trump has to be an amazing feeling

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

hey don't forget a string of ghouls in Honduras!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might as well post this here. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53262767

BBC posted:

The UK High Court has ruled against Venezuela's government in a legal battle over access to $1bn (£820m) of gold stored in the Bank of England.

It said the UK had "unequivocally recognised opposition leader Juan Guaidó as president", rather than President Nicolás Maduro.

Which, obviously it's not good for a country in a crisis and mired in debt to lose access to its gold reserve. Functionally, this isn't an active decision by the UK government, it's a consequence from them already having declared Maduro's presidency illegitimate. I don't see them changing their minds on that without some kind of move on Maduro's part.

Even assuming the best of Maduro (which is a whole lot), I really don't see any way of him maneuvering Venezuela out of the situation it's in without somehow stepping down, although it'd be better if they could hold new elections instead of handing things to an unelected Guaido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Might as well post this here. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53262767

Which, obviously it's not good for a country in a crisis and mired in debt to lose access to its gold reserve. Functionally, this isn't an active decision by the UK government, it's a consequence from them already having declared Maduro's presidency illegitimate. I don't see them changing their minds on that without some kind of move on Maduro's part.

Even assuming the best of Maduro (which is a whole lot), I really don't see any way of him maneuvering Venezuela out of the situation it's in without somehow stepping down, although it'd be better if they could hold new elections instead of handing things to an unelected Guaido.

there's actually no reason to hold new elections, as he fairly and legitimately won the last ones

the obvious solution is what he's been doing; build links with the rest of the world opposite western hegemony (China, Russia, etc) and work on building the nation back up.