Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How much rent are you charging them, it's a seller's market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Say hello to my Garden Fox who decided to set up residence in my backyard. It's a rural red fox. So cute and cunning. Approximately 2 months old.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

The Real Amethyst posted:

Say hello to my Garden Fox who decided to set up residence in my backyard. It's a rural red fox. So cute and cunning. Approximately 2 months old.

This is too adorable!! I want one, except it will grow up.

PS I am now friends with the birbs and I love them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vortmax posted:

This is too adorable!! I want one, except it will grow up.

PS I am now friends with the birbs and I love them.

Starlings. Cute babies, garbage invasive species.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Starlings. Cute babies, garbage invasive species.

Well assuming they're not European(Eurasian? Not sure how wide they range natively).

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

went for a hike on a rainy day last week and i saw so many of these newts along the side of the path. they're adorable!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

free hubcaps posted:

went for a hike on a rainy day last week and i saw so many of these newts along the side of the path. they're adorable!

Oh man. I want to hug that little dude. :3:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Well assuming they're not European(Eurasian? Not sure how wide they range natively).
There are native starling species to both Europe and Asia, they're just invasive to North America. The Common Starling is particularly widespread and can be natively found anywhere from the Westernmost edge of Europe to North Africa to roughly Northern China.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pictured in Florida:

Sharp-shinned? Red-shouldered? Having a tough time deciding.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

my cat is norris posted:

Pictured in Florida:

Looks like a Common Buzzard to me, but last I checked those weren't native to North America.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cardiovorax posted:

Looks like a Common Buzzard to me, but last I checked those weren't native to North America.

They are not! Also, the banding on the tail is too broad.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

my cat is norris posted:

Pictured in Florida:

Too small for Red-shouldered?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hmm, they're not THAT big, as far as hawks go...maybe it's a juvie?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

my cat is norris posted:

Hmm, they're not THAT big, as far as hawks go...maybe it's a juvie?

I was looking at more pictures and thinking I might have spoken too soon. And thinking the pictures of juveniles did look a lot like yours.

This is one that lives in our woods from earlier in the year, poufed up for the cold, but still seeming longer of body.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

free hubcaps posted:

I once went to a summer camp up in new hampshire that had these guys absolutely everywhere. they were the cutest and I would regularly rescue them from the road and such, feed them bugs, that sort of thing. even had a big ol' aquarium in the cabin that someone brought in and we kept a couple dozen of them in there. they're so drat adorable.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, would any of you be interested in contributing to a weekly frontpage feature of cool nature photos? We're still working out the details, but ideally it'd feature a little blurb about the picture and your experience taking it, links to personal websites and places to buy prints of your work, alongside a more in-depth interview with a regular contributor. (i'm not going to let this move forward unless y'all would maintain 100% rights to your work, if that's a concern to anyone.)

If the SA store featured more member-created murch, would any of you want to sell prints on the shop? What kind of percentage overhead do other POD print joints usually charge?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't particularly want to do that, myself, but I'm fine with the idea as long as it stays out of this thread. Critterquest has always been about amateurs making amateur-level photos of cool critters just for the hell of it. If it suddenly becomes a monetized thing, I can see that die an ignominous death as people with equipment and an interest in selling their work come in. How many people in this thread could compete with that, or feel like putting their crappy little phone cam pics next to it?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Starlings have actually been in decline during the last few decades in Scandinavia and the reasons are not fully clear, but probably related to agricultural shifts and reduction of cultivated landscapes and pastures.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, would any of you be interested in contributing to a weekly frontpage feature of cool nature photos? We're still working out the details, but ideally it'd feature a little blurb about the picture and your experience taking it, links to personal websites and places to buy prints of your work, alongside a more in-depth interview with a regular contributor. (i'm not going to let this move forward unless y'all would maintain 100% rights to your work, if that's a concern to anyone.)

If the SA store featured more member-created murch, would any of you want to sell prints on the shop? What kind of percentage overhead do other POD print joints usually charge?
imo just make it a minor photoshop phriday-esque feature if anything and don't further monetize it

as great as the moon potatoes of the thread are, I also like it a lot for the casual phone camera posts of people finding a cool beetle on a leaf outside their office

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Falukorv posted:

Starlings have actually been in decline during the last few decades in Scandinavia and the reasons are not fully clear, but probably related to agricultural shifts and reduction of cultivated landscapes and pastures.

Same in the UK and Ireland. Not as common to see huge murmurations anymore in autumn :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
some help identifying a specific critter: I believe it was a hummingbird moth, it would absolutely under no circumstances sit still for even a second for me to take a photo or catch it so I can only describe what I saw the half-seconds it hovered in place before flitting again. it was extremely interested in my dog's poop, had transparent wings and a black body, and two distinct bright yellow bands on its lower abdomen like a wasp's banding. it was about two inches long. those criteria into google seem to identify it as a Snowberry Clearwing, though the one I saw had two almost neon yellow bands on its abdomen that were clearly separated, not the single dark yellow band I'm seeing in all the photos on google, like this one(not my photo)

is there perhaps a subspecies with a brighter banding or something?

there was another butterfly flitting about that flew away super quickly, but it had mostly completely clear wings, black borders on the wings with two white dots on the tips of each with a wingspan of about 3 inches and its wing layout was similar to a zebra butterfly's, this is in massachusetts, anyone able to identify it? no idea what it was, and nothing on google looks similar(that is near massachusetts anyways).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 13, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I think you're right with Snowberry clearwing, Hemaris diffinis --Those moths can be pretty variable and then they take a good bit of wear and tear on their coloration as they age and fly around.

Have a peek here: https://bugguide.net/node/view/2639/bgimage

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Creative Convention has a whole photography subforum and I would guess you'd find a lot more interest (and much better photos) there?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A tame weasel showed up in our backyard and hopped into this cage when we put it out and now I'm not sure what to do with it.

I believe it's a long-tailed weasel (Mustela frenata; native), maybe a stoat (Mustela erminea; non-native). This is very strange!

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 14, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Congrats to your free weasel, I guess?

But in all seriousness, check if there are any wildlife sanctuaries in your general area that might be able to and interested in taking the little guy off your hands. If he's just walking into a cage of his own accord, he might be sick or so close to starving that anything seemed better than staying in the wild. They're not usually kept as pets, so it's probably not "tame" in the proper sense.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Conversely, desk weasel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CTVqt2wxU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yell, "HEY I GOT YOUR WEASEL HERE!!!"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Someone will take it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Congrats to your free weasel, I guess?

But in all seriousness, check if there are any wildlife sanctuaries in your general area that might be able to and interested in taking the little guy off your hands. If he's just walking into a cage of his own accord, he might be sick or so close to starving that anything seemed better than staying in the wild. They're not usually kept as pets, so it's probably not "tame" in the proper sense.

I live directly next to a wildlife sanctuary, so I'm gonna check with them tomorrow. I kinda wonder if he escaped from there. I'm friends with DNR people but all I got from them was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I live directly next to a wildlife sanctuary, so I'm gonna check with them tomorrow. I kinda wonder if he escaped from there. I'm friends with DNR people but all I got from them was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, he seems very calm and comfortable with the situation in that image, so that hints at being relatively used to close contact with people. Worth asking!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Captain Invictus posted:

imo just make it a minor photoshop phriday-esque feature if anything and don't further monetize it

as great as the moon potatoes of the thread are, I also like it a lot for the casual phone camera posts of people finding a cool beetle on a leaf outside their office

I second this idea. Just choose some of the recent posts from the last week or two and PM the posters for permission and commentary. Both the high-quality and the blurry-phone quality.

Like this

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A tame weasel showed up in our backyard and hopped into this cage when we put it out and now I'm not sure what to do with it.

I believe it's a long-tailed weasel (Mustela frenata; native), maybe a stoat (Mustela erminea; non-native). This is very strange!

Id guess long tailed just by the face but its tough to tell without seeing the tail or relative body size. what a strange guy, definitely unusual to say the least to have a weasel approach a person let alone be friendly. He must've been hand raised or something.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's probably just some kind of primal trickster god

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I hate it when I get one of those, everything always tastes like purple for a week.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I found a really nice example of what I think is Zygaena ephialtes, the Variable Burnet Moth. Super pretty. Normally, they're just kind of spotted, but this one has very lovely red wing edges.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Those are clearly racing stripes.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Cardiovorax posted:

I found a really nice example of what I think is Zygaena ephialtes, the Variable Burnet Moth. Super pretty. Normally, they're just kind of spotted, but this one has very lovely red wing edges.

isn't that a cinnabar moth Tyria jacobaeae? nice pic, very pretty :kimchi:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Visited my folks yesterday & they were telling me about their newest "residents" - some baby mantis hatchlings! :3: They both noticed when they were out on the porch & saw them all over their bench, said it was a big swarm & they likely set up shop in the bushes in the front yard.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's a Cinnabar Moth. I'm guessing you live either in the Pacific Northwest or Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Central Europe, yeah. You guys are right, Cinnabar Moth it is.