Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is my rookie season in LL so I don't think I have one to offer this time around, but next one yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/MeggieOK/status/1268682752553091072

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
How on Earth did they all miss Final? It's the first scene of Lawrence of Arabia!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah but you forget that scene by the time you reach the 14 hour mark for the first intermission. I know I didn't get it, I've only watched that movie once like 15 years ago.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Feels like a while since we've had a two-day tournament that wasn't pretty much over by the end of day 1! Excited to see the finals.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Thanks everyone for the reply, I'll remember to send a DM next month.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I don't know what was stranger to me, the fact that everyone whiffed on Final on a gimme or that my mother didn't know about the Shakespeare play (one I had to read in high school) much less the person's death.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I feel like the triple stumper Finals tend to be pretty easy. Of course could be confirmation bias since those are gonna be more likely to stick in one's mind.

I can't believe two of them couldn't even come up with a guess - that was 200 dollar clue difficulty.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I didn't think of Julius Caesar when I saw that question. That clue was kind of weirdly worded though. It describes the autopsy as revealing "puncture marks". Using that phrasing doesn't immediately make me think of somebody being stabbed but of the type of mark that would be left behind by an insect bite. (Which is presumably why that one guy guessed Bram Stoker.)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I guessed Rasputin.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zero One posted:

I guessed Rasputin.

:same:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Way too late to be the first recorded autopsy. But at least it's a guess which is better than two of the contestants.

cloudchamber posted:

I didn't think of Julius Caesar when I saw that question. That clue was kind of weirdly worded though. It describes the autopsy as revealing "puncture marks". Using that phrasing doesn't immediately make me think of somebody being stabbed but of the type of mark that would be left behind by an insect bite. (Which is presumably why that one guy guessed Bram Stoker.)

Stoker died of a stroke and also way too late. I thought he was making a joke.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 13, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Who doesn't know Commando?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so that was the last new episode for the foreseeable future

sigh

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Can Alex just pronounce years like a normal person? His "nineteen hundred and ninety four" poo poo is really obnoxious.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Alex has earned the right to say poo poo however he drat well pleases :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmNK8R-YuEc

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Alex has earned the right to say poo poo however he drat well pleases :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmNK8R-YuEc

This poo poo always gets me, but in a good way.

Vertical Lime posted:

so that was the last new episode for the foreseeable future

sigh
Surprised they didn’t record an Alex VO to say something about that, what with the tons of VO and graphics they used these last couple of weeks to ensure the olds that “this is a NEW episode of Jeopardy!”, but I guess them not playing one of those tonight would tell people as well. Guess the ones who don’t know will just have to be confused on Monday.

As for Finals, I got both Julius Caesar, and the Toni Morrison one tonight immediately. I guess the number of stab wounds made me think of him immediately, because of the number of Senators who stabbed him.

Iron Crowned posted:

Who doesn't know Commando?
I missed that one, I was hung up on saboteur for some reason.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I got both of those immediately as well. But Roman history is very much one of my best subjects, and if I hear "23 puncture wounds" I'm immediately going to think Caesar.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I am the dumb who guessed both Rasputin and Maya Angelou. I knew Commando though!

I'm really bummed Jeopardy is finishing, it's basically been doing a lot of the heavy lifting holding our household together in the evenings.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Last night was a lesson to listen to my instincts. I answered Morrison first, then changed to Angelou at the last second as the song wrapped up.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm really bummed Jeopardy is finishing, it's basically been doing a lot of the heavy lifting holding our household together in the evenings.

:same:

Actually does anyone know if there are any :filez: somewhere with old seasons? They only make such a select few episodes available on Hulu, and are almost all from lovely tournaments instead of regular games. There was a period between canceling my cable package and when Hulu's live tv add-on improved enough to be usable that I wasn't watching the show, I'd love to find those seasons to fill this void.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Netflix is getting rid of their current episodes at the end of the month, I hope they replace them with others.

I've also been watching Mastermind since apparently we get Game Show Network, which is a decent addition which should basically be called "watch Ken Jennings stop anyone from ever winning any money"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Last night was a lesson to listen to my instincts. I answered Morrison first, then changed to Angelou at the last second as the song wrapped up.

I couldn't think of Morrison's name. I could name her books and finally could remember Toni, but the last name escaped me. It helped to remember that when Oprah's show was on, she absolutely adored Morrison.

My local CBS affiliate shows an episode on Saturdays. They've been from 2018ish lately.I remember the champion but none of the details of the shows, so that's worked.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I couldn't think of Morrison's name. I could name her books and finally could remember Toni, but the last name escaped me. It helped to remember that when Oprah's show was on, she absolutely adored Morrison.

My local CBS affiliate shows an episode on Saturdays. They've been from 2018ish lately.I remember the champion but none of the details of the shows, so that's worked.

Well, if I get an influx of creepy Facebook messages at least I'll know where they came from!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Everybody here was talking about the Julius Caesar triple-stumper and nobody dunked on the third contestant for giving away second place by betting everything for no reason haha

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Man, I just know The Jason Zuffranieri Collection is coming to Netflix or Hulu soon. Can’t wait to watch myself On Demand

HookShot posted:

I've also been watching Mastermind since apparently we get Game Show Network, which is a decent addition which should basically be called "watch Ken Jennings stop anyone from ever winning any money"

Yeah and they have legitimate killer contestants on there. My wwtbam +1 (who knows things I could never fathom) was on there and “won” her episode, tying the mastermind and only losing on an impossible tiebreak. Great TV, total cost to GSN? $1000. ToC winner dan melia was on a couple weeks ago and didn’t even win against the other contestants.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Well, if I get an influx of creepy Facebook messages at least I'll know where they came from!

On the plus side, looks like baseball won’t be starting up anytime soon, so you don’t need to worry about refreshing on your east coast MLB baseball team names.

Rip Jeopardy. Real bummer. Our stop gate is we bought Jeopardy for the switch. We have played 3 games so far, and my wife has crushed me by over $10,000 each game. It’s gonna be a long....goddamn....summer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

On the plus side, looks like baseball won’t be starting up anytime soon, so you don’t need to worry about refreshing on your east coast MLB baseball team names.

:negative:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Duckman2008 posted:

Rip Jeopardy. Real bummer. Our stop gate is we bought Jeopardy for the switch. We have played 3 games so far, and my wife has crushed me by over $10,000 each game. It’s gonna be a long....goddamn....summer.

Does a Jeopardy game get repetitive or did they program it with every question ever played on the show?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lol, on the plus side, whenever I see African countries come up I’m like “poo poo, where is hookshot when I need her ?”

Zesty posted:

Does a Jeopardy game get repetitive or did they program it with every question ever played on the show?

Haven’t played enough to answer this , but it seems to have a decent amount of content so I don’t expect it to become to repetitious. Seems to be unique and not just questions from the game show.

They skip the “should spelling count” debate by basically having 3 choices for every answer (yes including final), so it’s press X, B or A for the answer. So to be clear, it certainly is not a full substitute for jeopardy for that reason alone, although honestly it works better to do that and just nix the issue of spelling in my opinion. We still get answers wrong.

On the flip side, the buzzer system of course lends itself perfectly to Jeopardy the video game, since it’s mashing a button just like on real life. It’s more timing , there’s no light that flashes on.

We got the in laws Jeopardy: the board game a few years back, and if you have time and 4 people in the household to play, that also works very well too, although it has a bit of setup so I would think it would get tedious to setup fairly quickly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Do you see the options before buzzing in, or is the time to think after doing so?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Do you see the options before buzzing in, or is the time to think after doing so?

Uh...pretty sure after buzzing in. So you def are still rolling the dice that you know the answer, and also if you don’t know it your opponent has a 50/50 shot of getting it right.

I guess I should also add, it does not have a “smugly pretend like you’re pushing your chips in like a poker game to go all in “ move for when you get a daily double.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Duckman2008 posted:

I guess I should also add, it does not have a “smugly pretend like you’re pushing your chips in like a poker game to go all in “ move for when you get a daily double.

literally unplayable

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CPColin posted:

Everybody here was talking about the Julius Caesar triple-stumper and nobody dunked on the third contestant for giving away second place by betting everything for no reason haha

That's only really worth mocking if you misplay from third when you're way behind first and second (and they're close to each other) and wager instead of betting nothing and it costs you the game. It doesn't happen often but when it does I'm thinking "have you ever watched Jeopardy in your life???"

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So it looks like 3 weeks of repeats involving the contestants from the last ToC, including some episodes of James (including the one where Emma beats him from what I can tell).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's only really worth mocking if you misplay from third when you're way behind first and second (and they're close to each other) and wager instead of betting nothing and it costs you the game. It doesn't happen often but when it does I'm thinking "have you ever watched Jeopardy in your life???"

Going into Final, first place was running away from second and second place was running away from third. There was absolutely no reason for either of the non-winners to bet anything, but second place bet it all and fell into third.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I know I post here a lot about “you don’t know what it’s like , and it’s a lot more pressure in the moment,” but we were def like “what the gently caress are you doing?” When 2nd place bet it all when she couldn’t catch first but was a runaway from 3rd.

Like, if you have a chance, it’s worth risking $1,000 to get winning. If you don’t , we’ll, I’ll take $2,000 over $1,000.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Since you pay for your own travel, that's definitely the difference between breaking even and "hey I got a little something extra and can buy something nice when I get home".

I try to be understanding, but I can't help but judge terrible, illogical DD and Final wagers. Most contestants seem to either take stupid risks, or (more frequently) are way too risk-averse and miss huge opportunities.

I don't think many really learn how to wager properly or give that much thought before they're actually in that situation, so it's understandable they don't really think it through rationally in the heat of the moment.

That said, I'm fully preparing to embarrass myself by going all in on a category like physics or astronomy and finally getting a question wrong because my brain freezes up. But I have to go for it, because the odds say to do it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’m more sympathetic towards people that under bet, because everything from nerves to “this is not my topic” GMs contribute to under beating.

Of course sometimes it’s like “oh hell yeah” when someone makes some insane bet and it’s great entertainment and yeah, said person takes their shot at greatness.

But overall, I’m more surprised at the big bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol you pay for your own travel? Alright that does make it dumb.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I try to be understanding, but I can't help but judge terrible, illogical DD and Final wagers. Most contestants seem to either take stupid risks, or (more frequently) are way too risk-averse and miss huge opportunities.

It's weird to me because it's something you pick up watching the game. I gotta figure the people on the show have watched it at least as much as I have.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 16, 2020