Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Are parachutes automatic or a second jump or the use key or....? I've not needed them but now that I've hit the phase where you have to go exploring I kind think I might, Just In Case.

It deploys on second jump while falling.
I think there is still a bug where if you only have 1 parachute equipped instead of a stack, deploying will not work. Always carry 2 or more parachutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

nielsm posted:

I'm not sure it's true that pipes lose pressure alone horizontal sections.
Can confirm that they do indeed run out of pressure on horizontal sections.

My oil wasn't super far from my base, so I built a really long pipeline along an entirely flat beach. I thought I was smart by pumping the oil at the production site up into a big tank on a tower so it'd just flow all the way through the much lower and entirely level pipe system to my base.

It did not. I needed half a dozen pumps to keep the oil flowing.

So yeah, takeaway from that was you cannot use logic to figure out pumps in this game. Like minecraft water you need to memorize the particular arbitrary rules.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Cool! Well that's one out of several! It isn't actually near as bad as it seems but because it's a little more effort to rebuild than in Factorio I'd like to see a long term use for some of these. But then the ratios will change and the--

Kind of wish space elevator parts were some of those. I spent X hours building a line to make Y Z's per minute and now that I gave them to space I have a million extras for ticket fodder.
Space elevator parts are all used for higher tier space elevator parts. Often in absurdly high quantities so stocking up on the lower tier stuff while you work your way up is definitely rewarded.

Everything is used for relevant higher tier things throughout the whole game. There's nothing that's a dead end except for consumable equipment like, uh, parachutes I guess. If you appear to have reached a dead end then you just haven't researched far enough.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This is officially a Bad game. When I'm playing it five hours goes by in the blink of an eye and when I'm not playing it like when I'm at work all I can do is think about it and the day slows to a crawl.

Didn't realize this was actually a psychological horror game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I spend all my time not thinking about important stuff designing layouts in my mind. I have iterated on my own designs a million times when I next sit down to play. I've got formulas for ideal liquid flow ratios trawling past my eyes when I'm supposed to be paying attention to customers.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Black Griffon posted:

I spend all my time not thinking about important stuff designing layouts in my mind. I have iterated on my own designs a million times when I next sit down to play. I've got formulas for ideal liquid flow ratios trawling past my eyes when I'm supposed to be paying attention to customers.

The Oil must flow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been building my rail line out to the desert where I want to set up some stuff. It feels like I'm laying rail in the wild west or something. Lay some track down. Destroy an ecosystem. Slaughter every animal I come across. When I first unlocked trains, it seemed kind of pointless because they are so huge and it felt like a waste of space. I was thinking too small though. Riding a train through the wilderness is great.

Edit: WTF, I didn't you know you could hold alt and use the scroll wheel to access 9 other hotbars.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 11, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When I'm actively building something I'll have a spreadsheet tab open on my regular work projects so I can plan layouts. Just make every cell 16x16 pixels and use some kind of color coding.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
I tackle storage and transport between factories with a big sushi conveyor belt.

Use the two door wall, stack it high, one product per level. When you get to the end, loop it around so it's a big carousel. That way you can give or take products anywhere along the length of the loop. Conveniently the first tier storage fits neatly inline and makes for a convenient way to buffer resources and withdraw them manually.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 11, 2020

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Every screenshot with the coffee mug seems Kermit sipping tea levels of smug. Not a bad thing.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Mayveena posted:

I hate importable blueprints. They kill the creativity for me. I’m fine if you make them in game and then can paste them down, but just importing a bunch of blueprints and placing them down all over the place makes me question why I’m even playing.

There are a few things that having blueprints would just make so much easier. For example:
The leaves/wood/carapace into biofuel minifactory setup.
Early game biofuel generator backbones.
Starting split routes from miners to smelters, or [yet again] early concrete underclocked constructors
... so basically any T1 simple manufacturing sets would be super nice. I don't feel the desire to make another Wire/Cable setup, and there aren't exactly a lot of efficient setups to turn greenery into biofuel.

Alternatively, simple structures (say, a 8x8x8 hollow cube of foundations) and common ramps (though less impactful with the double ramps added in update 3) would also be swell.

Anything beyond early stuff could significantly stifle creativity and the fun of this game in ways that I don't feel it impacts Factorio.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I wouldn't mind just ghost building without blueprints. Or maybe blueprints you can't import, you'd have to resave them each game so as to avoid the issue on hand.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I wouldn't mind just ghost building without blueprints. Or maybe blueprints you can't import, you'd have to resave them each game so as to avoid the issue on hand.

Yeah I would like ghost building. Anno 1800 has that and it's perfect. You can only ghost buildings that you have access to as well. That'd be great for Satisfactory, make base planning a lot easier.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Is there a way to label storage containers or make its inventory visible? I want to finally move all of my vaguely-neat-their-production-center storage to a central location near my elevator, but the thought of having two dozen identical boxes holding my stuff and trying to remember which one is steel bars and which one is insulated steel bars is keeping me from doing it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

skeleton warrior posted:

Is there a way to label storage containers or make its inventory visible? I want to finally move all of my vaguely-neat-their-production-center storage to a central location near my elevator, but the thought of having two dozen identical boxes holding my stuff and trying to remember which one is steel bars and which one is insulated steel bars is keeping me from doing it.

There's no signs that I'm aware of in the base game(which is dumb because IIRC train stations can be labeled), but ImKibitz came up with this kinda neat way of showing what's in boxes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

My strategy is to build a very short conveyor terminating just past its output. One or two items will be spat out onto it and stop there, making it a convenient label.

Otherwise you're stuck painting them and trying to remember your colour system.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I just don't centralize anything and have spatial memory of where the thing is at locally and worldwide.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I built a library of containers that holds every item I can make except for sp'elevator junk. I built a factory behind the library that just builds crap to go into said library. My next objective for myself is to add in overflow splitters to send all the excess to a sink, and then some beautification because it's a loving rats nest of conveyors.

All my sub-bases are connected with hypertubes that are color coded to match a beacon color. So it's pretty easy to head back to main and grab stuff then tube back to a sub-base.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I just drop one of the items in front of the container.

Not everyone knows you can drop items though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I use the dismantle key and memory, but the dismantle key works pretty well

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

tranten posted:

This is my option. That said, is there an easy way to pick up a single thing? Right-clicking halves a stack, and CTRL-clicking puts all of your stacks into whatever you're interacting with. I can't figure out how to "Oh I just need one single iron ingot from this stack of 100."

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is my option. That said, is there an easy way to pick up a single thing? Right-clicking halves a stack, and CTRL-clicking puts all of your stacks into whatever you're interacting with. I can't figure out how to "Oh I just need one single iron ingot from this stack of 100."

hold right click to select how you want to split a stack

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

tranten posted:

I've also seen people creating a very short belt on the container exit, which then gets filled by the item in the container and serves as an indicator

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Since we have a lotta new players with the steam release, let's talk about power.

Phase 1: Biomass.

You get two biomass burners on the HUB itself and can build more once you get outta the tutorial. They don't make a lot of power and you can't automate fueling them. On the plus side, they're pretty cheap and can run off unprocessed biomass like leaves, wood, alien parts, etc, processed biomass crafted from those things, or processed biofuel crafted from processed biomass. Each stage of processing gets you fuel that burns longer per stack, meaning you have to fuel the generators manually less often. 2 things can really improve your quality of life in this stage. 1: Get a chainsaw. It's much easier to harvest a buncha leaves/wood/mycelia/etc pretty fast with a chainsaw. It even has an AoE. 2. You can't automate fueling the generators but you can automate the rest of it. Do yourself a big favor and at the very least set up a constructor to convert biomass to biofuel automatically.

Phase 2: Coal.

Coal's the first fully automated fuel system. Conveyor coal into box -> get electricity. There are 2 major issues with coal. 1. You also need coal for steel and any coal used for electricity is necessarily unavailable to use for making steel. Plan out how you're gonna use nearby coal sources, particularly since powerlines are way easier to run long distances than conveyor belts. 2. Coal plants need water and so now you've gotta learn all this pump crap being discussed earlier in the thread. And a reasonably sized body of water to extract the needed water. A popular way to set up coal plants for water is 8 plants to 3 extractors, although note this moves more water than a single pipe can carry so you have to be a little creative with connections.

^ certainly not the only way to do it, but it works.

Phase 3: Oil.

Fuel Generators burn most liquid fuels. Oil processing is tricky because 2 end products always come out, regardless of what you wanted to get. If you directly make processed fuel in a single step, for example, the byproduct will be a lot of polymer resin. The part where this gets tricky is that if either back up, both back up. I may not care if not using 100% of my processed fuel capacity means I'm producing less polymer resin if I'm just sinking the resin, but if I was counting on that resin to make plastic or something somewhere else, I'm gonna be unhappy. Similarly if I had a setup that was using the resin but that backed up, the fuel refineries would stop producing fuel and my power would go out. This is where alt recipes get particularly important as they not only unlock turbofuel (fuel but even better!) but various alternate ways to process oil, some of which are ludicrously advantageous like diluted processed fuel.

Past that there's geothermals, which I'm not considering a real phase because by the time you get em you'll almost surely be using more power than every vent on the map combined produces so they're kind of a nice bonus rather than a primary power generation. And then there's nukes, which can outdo fuel generators but of course uranium processing's even more of a bitch than oil processing and involves radiation so you gotta wear a suit and have filters to even be near it. There's currently no way to get rid of nuclear waste (well, besides the cheaty option of giving it to a doggo and killing the doggo) which makes this more of a fun thing to set up at end game than anything particularly useful.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

As a newb, I'd add one thing. Don't blow a fuse in your power grid once you are depending on coal because it's a real pain to get it back going again. I ended up just loading an old save and reworking the power while it was still online.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mayveena posted:

As a newb, I'd add one thing. Don't blow a fuse in your power grid once you are depending on coal because it's a real pain to get it back going again. I ended up just loading an old save and reworking the power while it was still online.

I had a starter coal plant helping me along before I built my mega powerplant. Also shutting down production machines to get your powerplant online is pretty easy.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Connect your coal plant to your main grid with a single line, then make sure the water pumps and coal miner are connected only to the coal plants. If you trip the breaker all you have to do is remove a single connecting wire and it'll either pop back on and stay running while you fix it, or be able to restart with 1 or 2 bio burners.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, long as you don't have seven thousand lines running out of the plant it's very easy to get it back online. All you need is some juice from bio plants, like Dark Swordmaster said.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Connect your coal plant to your main grid with a single line, then make sure the water pumps and coal miner are connected only to the coal plants. If you trip the breaker all you have to do is remove a single connecting wire and it'll either pop back on and stay running while you fix it, or be able to restart with 1 or 2 bio burners.

This. Had I done this, it would have been easy. Otherwise I had to disconnect everything (I have a spaghetti factory that I'm particularly ashamed proud of and it was a bitch. I now have two separate power areas joined by one power line in case this happens again to me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Geothermal power has one interesting property, they always produce full capacity, and effectively provide a power production floor. If all your production can be covered by geothermal then your other power plants will produce and consume zero.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

nielsm posted:

Geothermal power has one interesting property, they always produce full capacity, and effectively provide a power production floor. If all your production can be covered by geothermal then your other power plants will produce and consume zero.

Depending on how you're using your oil, this can get you in some minor trouble. If you're not consuming enough power oil won't get used up meaning you won't get byproducts either -> no plastics/rubber.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I keep the biofuel burners in the hub empty, so if the breakers trip, I can toss a few logs of biofuel into each one and throw the switch, and that gives me enough headroom for everything to boot back up.

Usually it's a temporary spike, so the burners cover that spike and then things resume normal operation while I hypertube out to my coal power plant to install more power shards or whatever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mirarant posted:

Depending on how you're using your oil, this can get you in some minor trouble. If you're not consuming enough power oil won't get used up meaning you won't get byproducts either -> no plastics/rubber.
This is best handled by treating treating fuel oil wells as only creating fuel. Any goods from a oil train are a bonus and you should have dedicated wells to only creating goods.

E. VVVVVVVV
Autocomplete for oil, apparently

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 12, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What on earth is a girl train???

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So far I just have one oil pipeline that produces plastic and rubber; both of those produce residue as a side effect, which is refined into fuel with no byproducts, and then some of the plastic is diverted to make packaging for the fuel. Fuel goes into my jetpack and excess gets turned into coupons. I'm not bothering with resin at all.

Inspired by some of the vertical bus designs I've seen ITT, I've been considering redoing my factory along similar lines. The problem is, there really isn't a lot of room where I've constructed my base -- it's aesthetically pleasing and has lots of nearby resources, but architecturally awkward. To the northeast, though, I've found a huge mesa overlooking the desert, with lots of room to build and a deep pool of water feeding a beautiful waterfall. There's no resources except water, but at the west base of the mesa there's oil, and at the east there's iron, copper, and limestone, and it looks like there's coal a little ways north and quartz and sulphur about 1.5km north.

So, I'm considering abandoning my current base and moving everything up there, but I'm also real close to unlocking trains, and wondering if I want to wait until I have trains so I can build a massive train station cantilevered out from the cliff where the waterfall is and delivery all my resources by train rather than making huge conveyor belt ladders to move everything up the side of the mesa.

I'm also considering just trucking along with my current setup and restarting from scratch in the desert once 1.0 hits, with an eye towards eventually moving up to the mesa.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

All my stuff is so lovely and messy right now. But I've only had the game for like 3 days. Eventually I'll take it all down and redo it when I'm Rich

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

tater_salad posted:

All my stuff is so lovely and messy right now. But I've only had the game for like 3 days. Eventually I'll take it all down and redo it when I'm Rich

If it works just leave it until you hit the top tier of research and have access to everything you might need. I’ve fallen out of this game a few times because trying to redo everything I had can be daunting and frustrating if your designs turn out to be kind of poo poo. In my opinion it’s better to build new and divert resources to it before disassembling the existing stuff.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I accidentally shut down a sector that had fuel for my trucks long enough that the truck ran out of power. Now this wouldn't be bad, just find it and throw some fuel in it. Except it has apparently fallen through the world and now I got this marker on my compass for a vehicle I cannot use and auto pilot markers I can't delete all at once. Is there a way to fix this that isn't going hours back?

E: used a file save editor and deleted it

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 13, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

If it works just leave it until you hit the top tier of research and have access to everything you might need. I’ve fallen out of this game a few times because trying to redo everything I had can be daunting and frustrating if your designs turn out to be kind of poo poo. In my opinion it’s better to build new and divert resources to it before disassembling the existing stuff.

My power grid sucks.. I want to start putting stuff on foundations. And walls We'll see how I do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Remember you don't really have to tear down your old factory just because you're building new. Just encase the old in foundation and build new on top of it. Or cut down another forest to make some more space if you'd rather not have to lift materials too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well I got Satisfactory a few days ago, and have already racked up 16 hours of playtime.

My base is a mess.

Those sulfur and quartz conveyor belts in particular, since those are leading from deposits a large distance away.

A very large distance away.

The coal conveyor and the hyper tube lead up to those coal generators off in the distance.