Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

brugroffil posted:

finally found time to get my garden in this weekend. Here's the ~12x12 plot with tomatoes, lots of squashes, carrots, spinach, and I think my wife planted a watermelon in there? This is at the edge of woods/big prairie so I honestly expect to lose a decent amount to rear end in a top hat animals.

Built some railing planters for the herbs though!

I'm not tryin' to knock your planters because they look really nice but if you plant stuff close together then each individual plant can start doing chemical warfare on their neighbors even if it's the same species. not a huge deal unless you need tons of herbs but just something to be aware of if you have any issues down the road. I've had a lot of multi species containers end up with one really sick species and one species dominating. Prob diligent pruning can compensate but I personally just give each plant its own container now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Thanks. This year's theme was "whatever I can get done in the short amount of time the 1 and 3 year olds naps overlapped," so not ideal garden or herb planting.

We'll use whatever we can, definitely not going for max yield. Already used some dill and thyme on some fish tonight!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mods, please change title to “This thread is dedicated to the brave mujahideen gardeners of CHAZ”.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Too long, make do with this

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i'm guessing that's in reference to this

https://twitter.com/JavelinaJim/status/1271221319074537473

which, uh, somebody buy these guys an account so they can get some gardening tips from the pros (for example, i see no statue of lenin at all)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
hey can i throw my coffee grounds in my chinese evergreen? one time when i was a college student i accidentally grew corn in my sink because i threw unpopped popcorn and grounds in

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I used cardboard for mulch and walkways.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dustcat posted:

i'm guessing that's in reference to this

https://twitter.com/JavelinaJim/status/1271221319074537473

which, uh, somebody buy these guys an account so they can get some gardening tips from the pros (for example, i see no statue of lenin at all)

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I mean, my garden looks like poo poo but it has less to do with disorganization than my plants not really growing 'cause I don't know what I'm doing.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/seattleYLF/status/1271548118815784961?s=19

That chicken wire is doing a lot of work

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

my first harvest

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm going to give the CHAZ the benefit of the doubt that freshly planted gardens don't look the best.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m giggling at the garden, but if we look at it as someone first garden, it’s not that bad.

I mean, on the one hand, there are enough people there that someone ought to have gardening experience, but on the other hand, having that many people involved creates its own challenges.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

twoday posted:

Does anyone know how plants work?

This bodhi tree cannot survive temperatures below 10 degrees celcius, otherwise the roots rot, so I kept in inside most of the year and recently took it out to the balcony. Almost immediately several of the leaves bleached themselves. I think maybe it wasn't used to the brightness and temperature changes of being outside and became unhappy. I put it under a little table and that seemed to help, though maybe it's just gotten used to being outside? It seems to have stopped, at least, but it still seems pretty unhappy, should I move it back inside?

twoday posted:

I wanted to make a bonsai, so the small pot is intentional but this thing keeps growing taller. I also have an acacia in a giant pot that I planted as a seed last year and it's already up to my sternum in height, but the trunk is so tall and skinny that it can't support the weight of the leaves and also sort of of fell over. It's very cloudy here most of the time so I think all the trees try to grow taller to reach the sun, not realizing that this is as good as it gets

I don’t know about these trees specifically, but for many bonsais it is beneficial to remove them from the pot annually, wash the roots and replant. possibly it’s a bit waterlogged and needs some pea gravel in the mix and especially at the bottom of the pot. you can find images of leaves with various nutrient deficiencies also and compare.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

it might have just gotten a sunburn and will want to spend the beginning of the summer under the table.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh hey there's an article about the CHAZ garden now
https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2020/06/12/43897621/meet-the-farmer-behind-chazs-vegetable-gardens

quote:

Marcus was the first to start gardening in the park, though he was quickly joined by friends and strangers. This isn’t the work of a casual amateur; Henderson has an Energy Resources Engineering degree from Stanford University, a Master’s degree in Sustainability in the Urban Environment, and years of experience working in sustainable agriculture. His Instagram shows him hard at work on various construction and gardening projects, and he’s done community development at organic farms around the world.
For Marcus, this was a perfect opportunity to put his experience to work for a cause.

“We’re dealing with a question of how Black people have been disenfranchised for so long, pulled out of the economic system,” he says. “One way of doing that is not giving people access to land.”

Going all the way back to emancipation, he points out, farming has been an important way for Black people to gain autonomy and self-sufficiency. But Black land ownership, particularly in the farming sector, has dropped precipitously over the last century; in the 1920s, America had nearly a million Black-owned farms. By the 1970s, it was down to less than 50,000.

The gardens in Cal Anderson park were crafted quickly, but with expertise. A layer of cardboard smothers grass, which isn’t a particularly healthy crop for the environment; and diverse seedlings donated by neighbors are placed into holes in the cardboard that allow them to take root underground. Now if only we could do the same to all the golf courses.
Nobody expects the little Cal Anderson plots to be a sustainable source of food for all of the protesters. But they’re a demonstration of how land can be put to better use — and of the importance of land ownership for Black Americans. That idea has motivated much of Marcus’ work; when he began his career, he was engaged with policy and planning. But he soon saw that if he wanted to make real change he’d have to get his hands dirty.

His planning background is evident when you watch him work. During our conversation, volunteers continuously interrupted to ask him questions: Someone just brought compost, where should it go? Marcus supplied instructions for containing it in tarps. A woman arrived and explained that she’s been out of work for weeks and wanted to volunteer in her neighborhood, where is she needed? He pointed her toward some watering cans. A bystander asked about creating green corridors throughout the city for pollinators; for the moment, that’s beyond the scope of this installation.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Some random arugula and dill from last year came up in my garden.

My parsley is doing quite well though.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer
it's been a busy start of the summer

our big bed with sweetcorn, mealcorn and a peruvian corn called choclo which is served with everything all the time

we're using the three sisters method so there's some pumpkind and fava beans as well among the corn, in the back there's some brusselsprouts, kale and carrots

also you can see some of our blueberry bushes we planted last year, some of them gets regulary snacked upon by deer though especially those directly behind this growing bed

here's one that made it intact so far, i've started to dust some bloodmeal now and then around the bushes to try and scare the deer away so lets hope that works

our saladbar built upon our sewage treatment system

welcome home, where potatoes thrive and are plentiful

our cassis and gooseberry bushes next to our shed, they only get partial sun but they dgaf

strawberries! we sure do love our berries

and here's our statue of lenin, i had to hide it in the forest otherwise soros would stop sending me money

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
that's a lot of garden

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

:five:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

We've ascended from a gardening thread to a C-SPAM gardening thread.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Modest garden expansion is finally almost done

Picture is poo poo because I have to replace the camera glass on my phone and I've been lazy.

Was supposed put up a real fence this year, but that's like 3/4 acre of brush that's in the process of being cleared behind it so it'll probably expand again.

We've been experimenting with intensive gardening bullshit. Last year we grew 16 tomato plants in a 4x4 planter more or less successfully. This year we cut it back to 9 in a 4x4 so we could prune less. Also going to attempt to get the zucchinis vertical so they can share one of the smaller planters with a ton of cukes.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Qurnah posted:

we're using the three sisters method so there's some pumpkind and fava beans as well among the corn, in the back there's some brusselsprouts, kale and carrots

judging from my garden experimentation this year, poo poo needs to be in a mound. like, a 4 or 5 foot cone. corn and beans in the middle, squash towards the bottom way the gently caress away from the beans and the corn. otherwise the squash will take over. the idea is to have the squash leaves cover the soil to retain water and form a natural squashy fence around the corn and the beans, so, like, you need the squash plants to be big to be able to do their job which kinda precludes any kind of management except spacing and hill contour. also you want to use climbing beans, besides looking cool when they tendrilize the corn, it really does help support the stalks.

no, I'm not being critical because your garden is so much better than mine nor do I covet your lenin statue, that would be silly.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

The Voice of Labor posted:

judging from my garden experimentation this year, poo poo needs to be in a mound. like, a 4 or 5 foot cone. corn and beans in the middle, squash towards the bottom way the gently caress away from the beans and the corn. otherwise the squash will take over. the idea is to have the squash leaves cover the soil to retain water and form a natural squashy fence around the corn and the beans, so, like, you need the squash plants to be big to be able to do their job which kinda precludes any kind of management except spacing and hill contour. also you want to use climbing beans, besides looking cool when they tendrilize the corn, it really does help support the stalks.

no, I'm not being critical because your garden is so much better than mine nor do I covet your lenin statue, that would be silly.

this is pretty much how i've spaced things out, one bean close to each corn plant and squash on the "hills" of the mounds

the kale, brusselsprouts and carrots all have their own little mounds and i will eventually cover the kale and sprouts to protect them from pests when they have grown a little

Paradoxish posted:

Modest garden expansion is finally almost done

Picture is poo poo because I have to replace the camera glass on my phone and I've been lazy.

Was supposed put up a real fence this year, but that's like 3/4 acre of brush that's in the process of being cleared behind it so it'll probably expand again.

We've been experimenting with intensive gardening bullshit. Last year we grew 16 tomato plants in a 4x4 planter more or less successfully. This year we cut it back to 9 in a 4x4 so we could prune less. Also going to attempt to get the zucchinis vertical so they can share one of the smaller planters with a ton of cukes.

looking nice comrade

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Never noticed we had a gardening thread here. I also planed some beans after somebody posted about it in the Roni thread, first with just regular beans I already had for eating:

Chickpeas:

Red kidney beans

And then a few weeks later when gardening stores opened up, a few other types that cost more for the 5 seeds than a kilo of normal beanz

lol.

They were in the same place and getting watered and fertilized at the same times. It might be down to the older soil, I dunno.

I also recently bought some dried chilis for making... chili. Trying to grow those seeds might be another thing to try.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

here's my setup for the three sisters, fava beans around the stalks and pumpkins around the side of the mounds, any tips would be appreciated

i know i need to weed more but time is in short supply tbh :shrug:

awww yeah

we call these little fellas "smultron" but google translate tells me they're called "wild strawberries" in english but that doesn't seem right, tiny wild extra yummy strawberry would be a better name imo

my almost no rules compost heap

say hello to mr woody everyone

oh yeah cabbage, i grow cabbage too

and if it's possible for you, reserve a part of your yard for our unsong heroes the pollinators, the brave bumblebee, the industrous wild bee, the beautiful butterflies and the humble hoverfly and just let nature do it's thing

i have no idea what these flowers are called but they are pretty when you get in for a closer look

Qurnah has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Jun 17, 2020

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The tomatoes got planted, tiny and barely visible, but have greened up a bit since I took this pic.

We also have a pond invaded by duckweed/watermeal. We got a net to drag it out, which is done when the wind pushes most of it to one corner. Aka free fertilizer to add to the compost pile

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the yellow flowers are birdsfoot trefoil, which is commonly used for pastures but also invasive in wilderness areas. you don't have to get rid of it, but just be careful. I've worked in natural area restoration so I have like a Pavlovian negative reaction to seeing it.

the purple flowers are red clover, and the white flowers that look similar are white clover. I think the plants with white flowers and frilly leaves are yarrow. but yeah, thanks for leaving some spots for pollinators. Bees LOVE clover.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Qurnah posted:

here's my setup for the three sisters, fava beans around the stalks and pumpkins around the side of the mounds, any tips would be appreciated

love the squash but fear the squash.

yeah, you did it way more right than me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i want to steal some corn from a big farm a few miles from me. how can i tell if it's sweet, meal, or animal feed corn?

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
is it possible to successfully co-plant peanuts and bush beans? I have a large 40 gallon sack planter with spray irrigation that covers the whole surface. I put in peanuts in the middle and bush beans around the outside edge. will this work?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

i say swears online posted:

i want to steal some corn from a big farm a few miles from me. how can i tell if it's sweet, meal, or animal feed corn?

p sure the only difference between grain corn and sweet corn when it's fresh off the stalk is that sweet corn is sweeter and grain corn's starchier (like corn starch starchy). they're both fine to eat raw.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thanks. and yeah the plan is to pretty much have it go right from the stalk to the grill

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

the yellow flowers are birdsfoot trefoil, which is commonly used for pastures but also invasive in wilderness areas. you don't have to get rid of it, but just be careful. I've worked in natural area restoration so I have like a Pavlovian negative reaction to seeing it.

the purple flowers are red clover, and the white flowers that look similar are white clover. I think the plants with white flowers and frilly leaves are yarrow. but yeah, thanks for leaving some spots for pollinators. Bees LOVE clover.

Yeah, what you said here.
I think you're right about the yarrow. Those photos look like they could have been taken on my lawn. The great thing about yarrow is how long it stays green and soft on your bare feet without water. Everyone in my area just lets their lawns go brown in the summer, rather than wasting water on stupid grass. By early to mid July everything else will be brown and hard on the feet, but the patches of yarrow will still retain a beautiful green colour, and luxuriously tender texture. I hear it is also edible!

Last time we made it to the store for seeds before the plague hit, my 3yo daughter picked out cosmos seeds to grow this year. Here's a flower bed we cobbled together for her, as a place to put old soil to use. We were removing a raised bed from the front of the house, which had been built so the soil just sat up against the siding.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Qurnah posted:

and here's our statue of lenin, i had to hide it in the forest otherwise soros would stop sending me money

https://twitter.com/pourmecoffee/status/1273007599273816078

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

LibCrusher posted:

is it possible to successfully co-plant peanuts and bush beans? I have a large 40 gallon sack planter with spray irrigation that covers the whole surface. I put in peanuts in the middle and bush beans around the outside edge. will this work?

since no one else knows, I'm going to repeat something that turned out to be very good advice

Myron Baloney posted:

Very often the printed materials from a local university extension, if you have one near or can find their website, are far more to the point and useful. They know what works in your area, it's their job.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

now that the bizarre summer cold and rain storm snap has ended, my pumpkin is growing, like, a foot a day.

I cannot wait for the economic end times to catch up with the real-estate market so I can buy some acres and just plant.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
look at these pretty flowers i found in my garden

pysched it's actually our potatoes

also the some of our sisters have started to form close bonds with each other

unfortunately there's some strong wind our there right now

serious question: will they recover? can i help somehow?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Things are really taking off now, gonna eat them beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

Sylink posted:

Things are really taking off now, gonna eat them beans.

that's some fine looking beans

dammit now you got me thinking about them beans