Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Where can I buy these sex robots, asking for a friend and only so that friend can fully respect their bodily autonomy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Elviscat posted:

The episode where everyone has a social-media score, bolstered by "likes" in real life, and it acts like a credit score on meth, bad scores gate-keeping you from getting decent housing, jobs, services etc, where people have to slavishly suck up to the popular people with outstanding scores to bolster their own is creepy and feels too much like something that might really happen

That's uh literally a thing already.

e:f,b:

BioEnchanted posted:

Isn't that also China's social credit system basically?

Kerbtree has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Jun 8, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Speaking of dumb marketing moves and social scoring who remembers Klout?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zedprime posted:

Speaking of dumb marketing moves and social scoring who remembers Klout?

I remember that it existed but I was never clear on what it actually was or did.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I remember marbles

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462638

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Phlegmish posted:

Where can I buy these sex robots, asking for a friend and only so that friend can fully respect their bodily autonomy

just use a murder of 4 roombas like a normal person

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Because there's no thread for badass marketing moves:

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1270801800476721154

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1270819350644211719

:suspense:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
loving hell

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

loving crazy to see NASCAR turn left.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

They've had enough practice

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

They've had enough practice

Not counting Dale Earnhardt, of course.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

At the risk of offending our Lord and Master... does anyone else find Lowtax sticking bold red ATTENTION links shilling for NordVPN today on top of every subforum, and even in bookmarks (and no, you can't delete them like you can your usual bookmarks), a little distasteful right now?

We've got goons organizing donation drives for BLM bail funds over in Games, another for a goon's friend who got crushed by a fascist gently caress who rammed his car into a crowd while she was peacefully protesting. She's in the ICU right now with too many injuries to list. There's probably others I'm not aware of.

I'm hoping someone's taking it up in QCS already, but it struck me as appropriate for this thread, because I find it a cringe-worthy Not A Good Marketing Look for SA, shilling for referral money, given the situation all over right now.

Just me, or...?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are you crazy? In these uncertain times we need the security and protection of NordVPN more than ever!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I get where you're coming from, but I imagine Something Awful LLC is at the equivalent of digging through the couch cushions for loose change at any given point in time so I can't feel too down on it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Promoting a VPN probably means he's marketing towards Antifa.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Just me, or...?

Did NordVPN do something of note, or is the objection just to advertising during this time? Turmoil or no, ya gotta keep the lights on right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does anyone have an Adblock rule they can share?

e: I wrote one. It blocks all announcements. :unsmigghh:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Jun 11, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nord is just the latest of big advertisement pushes by company on social media. It's all over YouTube, Instagram, imgur etc. I'm sure Raid: Shadow Legends is next

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

At the risk of offending our Lord and Master... does anyone else find Lowtax sticking bold red ATTENTION links shilling for NordVPN today on top of every subforum, and even in bookmarks (and no, you can't delete them like you can your usual bookmarks), a little distasteful right now?

We've got goons organizing donation drives for BLM bail funds over in Games, another for a goon's friend who got crushed by a fascist gently caress who rammed his car into a crowd while she was peacefully protesting. She's in the ICU right now with too many injuries to list. There's probably others I'm not aware of.

I'm hoping someone's taking it up in QCS already, but it struck me as appropriate for this thread, because I find it a cringe-worthy Not A Good Marketing Look for SA, shilling for referral money, given the situation all over right now.

Just me, or...?

The guy needs spine money and domestic litigation money (I think that's still happening). Nobody is saying other causes don't matter, but don't be a turd about it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Fair enough y'all, that's why I ended that post asking if it was just me. I know Tax needs to keep the lights on, but just seems tacky in the timing, given the covid/unemployment/protest situation is all. Maybe if it was a drive where Nord was giving some money to a charity or somesuch?

Also, as I said in the QCS thread (sure enough, someone already did complain about not being to get it out your userCP): when it's stuck in your userCP it's like getting the same screaming local car ad every drat time you change the tv channel or click another YT video or switch your Pandora stream. It makes me vehemently NOT want to purchase your product, especially since I already have a VPN service.

That's the bulk of why I think it's Dumb Marketing.

edit: well, that and "hurr hurr curvy goonette" thing kinda stuck in my craw

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Jun 11, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Especially since VPN does absolutely dick about concealing your identity. Just hides your original ip

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not counting Dale Earnhardt, of course.

:master:

Whatever happened to Turn Left Dale! Noo anyway?

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Jun 11, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The announcements in bookmarks was something that was added a few months ago, which was mostly something people were thankful to see (people like me who don't tend to browse the forums directly would never see them, for instance).

Plus, with healthcare the way it is in america and Something Awful LLC not providing health care, I don't mind if Lowtax needs to get some more wall putty for his spine via an announcement. Nord's been doing stuff with SA for years too.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

edit: well, that and "hurr hurr curvy goonette" thing kinda stuck in my craw

Yeah, I cringed when I saw that part. It feels like something the IOSM thread would make fun of if it were posted anywhere else.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

YeahTubaMike posted:

Whatever happened to Turn Left Dale! Noo anyway?

I think they're still around under a different username somewhere.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pandaal posted:

Did NordVPN do something of note, or is the objection just to advertising during this time? Turmoil or no, ya gotta keep the lights on right?
it's impossible to find out who actually owns the company, which for a VPN is pretty much a guarantee it's a honeypot

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_family_murders

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The wife’s name was Shan’ann

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/caitiedelaney/status/1271486687848194049?s=19

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Look at this poo poo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Who the hell signed off on this? Every time I look at it there’s always more and it’s always :stonk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dad gave the kid creamy insides?

Yikes.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:stonk:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That Klondike bar has Seen Some poo poo.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

That little dig at “Uncle Choco Taco” at the end definitely merits a bizarro-world :discourse: for achievements in classist and racist tastelessness

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Please don’t associate the choco “taco” with the good people of México.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The choco open-faced sandwich.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Well, you know what people would do for one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s gonna be poo poo in few hours

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wanna gently caress that ice cream sando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Dumb Marketing Moves: dad's creamy insides