Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Borrovan posted:

It's still a learning experience talking to their EDL da & being told that Blue Peter presenters are a bunch of leftie snowflakes who should stfu though: every child has to learn at some point that their parents are sometimes wrong, & I would have sided with Connie Huq over my parents every single day of the week.

Depends on the age range I guess - how old is the blue peter audience generally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Isomermaid posted:

Also I spent the day making good on researching the whole going over to Germany plan but of course, Brexit's hosed that nicely. I mean it's still possible just much more difficult and less possible to try a few months before committing. gently caress everything

In late December/early January the death toll will already be in the hundreds of thousands, new winter wave just beginning, and then no-deal Brexit on top of that. Will be pretty unbelievable

But fear not, the government still has time to gently caress up the economy by letting all the companies go bankrupt, so that we'll also have 40% unemployment or some poo poo, would make it even cooler

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol

https://www.indy100.com/article/hen...WE6NSeV0BjDP8J0

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

Completely unrelated to politics (but related to watersupplychat I guess) here's a little weirdness from industrial sensor design:

(like and share if you'd trust a bivalve with a spring glued to it over our private water company boards)

absofuckinlutely

ThomasPaine posted:

Depends on the age range I guess - how old is the blue peter audience generally?
Aimed anywhere from about 6 or 7 up to about 14 to 16 I think.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Casting from pc to Roku seems rather hit and miss - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

What're you using to make that happen? I run a Plex server on my PC and that works pretty well.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

What is the best way to stream a computers output to a TV, anyways? I'm filling out a proper living room atm instead of just using my computer for everything, but I'm still going to pirate/stream everything through that rather than bother with smart TV nonsense.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What is the best way to stream a computers output to a TV, anyways? I'm filling out a proper living room atm instead of just using my computer for everything, but I'm still going to pirate/stream everything through that rather than bother with smart TV nonsense.

HDMI cable probably.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

What're you using to make that happen? I run a Plex server on my PC and that works pretty well.

For 'casting' just the 'cast to device' option. (In fact it only worked once! It connects to the roku then disconnects.)

Setting up the media server on the laptop works much better (except it won't play .avi files* so I'm having to convert them to .mkv) and works just fine. (Ed: over the wifi no cable necessary).

*Ed3 - I appear to have been misinformed by the internet and it is playing avi files fine (via Roku Media Player) so I have wasted about 5 hours converting avi files for nowt. I guess I'll have to do it on the hoof if there is the odd one that doesn't work.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Depending on your room layout, HDMI (or VGA if you have older kit) cable is simplest.
I'm using the roku because I have 'freesat from sky' (because Humax stopped making the cheapo proper freesat boxes and the one I used to have died the night before I moved) and this is the cheapest way (£29 one off for roku express) of getting 'on demand' and various other services without having to use my laptop (I like to try and take two days a week off the laptop esp. social media - so I can actually achieve things - once the laptop goes on the day is lost without a considerable exercising of willpower which I'm not always up for!)

Also bought the 3way HDMI switch so I don't have to keep getting up and down to switch from the sky box to the roku. Unfortunately the computer HDMI will not talk to the tv via the switch so if I hadn't finally got round to figuring out how to set up the media server I would have never got to watch the 300+ movies and numerous series I have on my laptop. (Eg GoT - I watched up to episode 3 of series 3 over a year ago and haven't watched since purely out of laziness - I don't like watching things on the laptop.)

Ed2: Skybox is SkyHD and won't do internet stuff because I don't pay a sky subscription.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 13, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

HDMI cable probably.

Or with a modern smart TV (or for the price of a Chromecast or cheap Android streaming box) you can share your screen wirelessly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Or with a modern smart TV (or for the price of a Chromecast or cheap Android streaming box) you can share your screen wirelessly.

Chromecast works with a lot of apps but I don't know of a way to use it to just straight up share a PC screen.

If there's a way I'd like to hear about it!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

thespaceinvader posted:

Chromecast works with a lot of apps but I don't know of a way to use it to just straight up share a PC screen.

You can do it from chrome, either the whole desktop or by app

I dunno if it would be good enough for watching a movie though, I've never found it to have a great frame rate or smoothness

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

^^^agreed, Chromcast's great for streaming music & streaming directly from supported apps, but for some reason screensharing or casting Chrome tabs is always a bit jerky

thespaceinvader posted:

When you select "cast",* click "sources" & there's an option for "cast desktop"

e: *in Chrome**
e: **for Windows, use the Google Home app to screenshare in android

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 13, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Steamlink or Moonlight for nvidia let you get to the desktop on your TV easily enough

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea the room layout is such that a HDMI cable would have to be like 10m and run through the middle of the room. I was thinking about some kind of streaming over WiFi setup but wasn't sure what the quality would be like.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea the room layout is such that a HDMI cable would have to be like 10m and run through the middle of the room. I was thinking about some kind of streaming over WiFi setup but wasn't sure what the quality would be like.
I was happy with a Chromecast & the Videostream app for ages, only reason I stopped using it is because they finally made buying stuff slightly less effort than :filez:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evidently Saturday post is back on in Scotland, because I received both a regular mail drop and a box of fudge from You-Know-Who.

Did anyone else have a problem with the box the fudge came in being hammered to poo poo? The contents were fine, but both the outer wrapping and the inner box were torn.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Every TV historian is loving terrible.

https://twitter.com/BBCScotNine/status/1271552129778487301

Almost as if there's some sort of barrier. Where to be allowed to talk about history on TV you have to have gone through the institutions that benefited the most from the crimes of Empire.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Modern media players like VLC should be able to cast from PC to TV over WiFi just fine. There's probably a way of browsing the files from your phone as well, so you don't have to go to the PC to choose what to play.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Borrovan posted:

^^^agreed, Chromcast's great for streaming music & streaming directly from supported apps, but for some reason screensharing or casting Chrome tabs is always a bit jerky

Its because its not usually streaming it direct from the device. All a chromecast supported app is doing is telling the chromecast where to find a thing on the web and play it. That's why when it forgets you are doing it on your phone it'll happily carry on playing away

Casting the screen I imagine works by uploading it to Googles servers then playing it from there. Its not going direct from phone to screen

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KatyJane_101/status/1271427656077193223

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Every TV historian is loving terrible.

https://twitter.com/BBCScotNine/status/1271552129778487301

Almost as if there's some sort of barrier. Where to be allowed to talk about history on TV you have to have gone through the institutions that benefited the most from the crimes of Empire.

Didn't know ron jeremy was a: scottish and b: a historian.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/simon_nixon/status/1271699738665066497?s=21

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Brexit just keeps on giving doesn't it.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
Havent looked onto a good Plex-> tv option but I should. Best I found was iPad plex app viewing media on server broadcasting to AppleTV and that sucked. Think the later AppleTVs had plex app on them to stop that layer of fuckaboutery.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

At this point we could get video of Boris spraying Covid out of his Umbrella like the loving Penguin and the Tories would still poll at over 40%.

Also Cheers to whoever got me my ancient Max avi back

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Modern media players like VLC should be able to cast from PC to TV over WiFi just fine. There's probably a way of browsing the files from your phone as well, so you don't have to go to the PC to choose what to play.
VLC Remote for android phone is good. Casting from VLC to an android box is something I've never had much luck with otoh.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have a pc hooked directly to the tv in the lounge and I just turn the volume up a bit to cover up the sound of ten old hard drives full of pirated poo poo I hoarded rattling round in a gateway2000 case that's seen at least 5 different motherboards over three decades

It's pretty good tbh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

Its because its not usually streaming it direct from the device. All a chromecast supported app is doing is telling the chromecast where to find a thing on the web and play it. That's why when it forgets you are doing it on your phone it'll happily carry on playing away

Casting the screen I imagine works by uploading it to Googles servers then playing it from there. Its not going direct from phone to screen

It goes direct (you can verify by taking your internet connection down), the problem is that without throwing huge amounts of CPU and RAM at good compression you're going to get lovely results - Chrome chooses to use a lower-quality/more lossy compression for fairly understandable reasons.

If you're looking to actually stream movies or other high-quality stuff from a PC to a TV, a HDMI cable is your best bet, although if you've got the videos already on your PC you can also do it over DLNA from a Windows PC to most modern TVs or, again, to a cheap Android box.

(HDMI wireless relays also work, but you need to spend >100 quid to get one that actually does full 1080p)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jedit posted:

All his old avatars will be at https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/aa/bb/00150594.xxxx.jpg, where xxxx=0001 is the first avatar he had. aa and bb are hexadecimal variables, though, and I don't know how to find them without seeing a post of his with an avatar on it.

I did a google search for site:forums.somethingawful.com "communism bitch" and found the cached version of a thread he had posted in:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It goes direct (you can verify by taking your internet connection down), the problem is that without throwing huge amounts of CPU and RAM at good compression you're going to get lovely results - Chrome chooses to use a lower-quality/more lossy compression for fairly understandable reasons.

Fair enough, I assumed that was why it won't let you (or at least it never used to) use a chromecast without being connected to the actual internet, not just a wifi network

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

Fair enough, I assumed that was why it won't let you (or at least it never used to) use a chromecast without being connected to the actual internet, not just a wifi network

That's just normal Google bullshit (it verifies your account and does other stuff that DEFINITELY ISN'T SENDING DATA BACK TO BE SOLD every time you start anything) - once the stream is playing it doesn't care about the internet connection.

e: This is why casting is shaky at best when the devices are on different segments of the same LAN, e.g. TV on wireless and PC on wired network, or CC on 2.4GHz and phone on 5GHz wifi, because most home CPE is actually pretty lovely about bridging the LAN segments.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 13, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Plex server on the PC, if you do have a smart TV there'll almost certainly be a native app and that's all you need, if not then a Chromecast or Amazon stick can act as the receiver.

E: Whoops lots of posts I didn't see

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: This is why casting is shaky at best when the devices are on different segments of the same LAN, e.g. TV on wireless and PC on wired network, or CC on 2.4GHz and phone on 5GHz wifi, because most home CPE is actually pretty lovely about bridging the LAN segments.
I'm glad I went with enterprise grade equipment, so it can instead be extremely lovely about bridging the LAN segments unless you've read five different forums first.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Actually while we're on smart TV / home network stuff is there any reason why my TV would just randomly drop its internet connection? It seems like it happens much more frequently using the YouTube app but it's not exclusive to that. When it happens the diagnostic screen claims it's connected the router but that it's not connecting to the DNS server, which is set as 192.168.1.1 for the TV and 8.8.8.8 for the router. It usually resolves itself after about 30 seconds or so.

The TV is connected to the router through a powerline socket which is an obvious area for issues. Guess I need to drag one of the extra long ethernet cables out and see if it persists with a direct connection.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I replaced my old powerline adapters a few months ago because one of them kept dropped out under load.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Party Boat posted:

The TV is connected to the router through a powerline socket which is an obvious area for issues.
Yeah, it's this.

(I actually don't know that it's this without a packet analyzer, but I have my WFH PC upstairs connected to the router in the gas cupboard through one of those, and it does the exact same thing, among other poo poo, so it's this. I'm going to fix that somehow soon because it's a loving pain, but I've been avoiding DIY.)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The weird thing is the computers upstairs are connected over powerline as well and they never had any issues. You'd think that the device that's in the same room as the router would encounter less interference.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

jabby posted:

Status report: Got the Covid.

Bad luck old chap. Hope you have a mild one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Party Boat posted:

The weird thing is the computers upstairs are connected over powerline as well and they never had any issues. You'd think that the device that's in the same room as the router would encounter less interference.

For mine it was just overheating, nothing technical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not sure churchill would approve of those salutes

curious there are no police horses for this crowd

https://twitter.com/dansabbagh/status/1271755011777794048?s=20