Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BobTheJanitor posted:

The Aretemis boon that shoots an arrow on every hit is fun on rail too, you end up with a constant stream of auto-targeting arrows to clean up the room for you.

I love that boon. Especially with Exagriff, but honestly it also works like gangbusters with the Fists.

Speaking of Artemis, has anyone charmed her enough to get new story stuff? On my last few runs I was hoarding Ambrosia just to give to her and Demeter because their storyline developments seemed more interesting than the others but it seemed like I never could never get the gauge to go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've got everyone's love meters full except Eurydice, and that's only because I just keep forgetting that I still have to feed her another ambrosia and instead just mindlessly mash the buttons to get my food buff before I realize I bypassed that option again. Really wish they'd let you do that after talking with them, and not just before.

All that to say, I must have seen the new Artemis stuff already, but apparently it wasn't all that memorable. :shrug:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lights posted:

The rail is really only fun IMO if you get the Daedalus upgrade that gives you triple bombs. With that upgrade, you become an unstoppable wave of destruction. Mix with Athena's blessing on the special for even more fun, or Dio on the standard attack to stack 5 stacks of hangover in a second or so.

Triple bombs + rocket upgrade is the most fun I have had on a run

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm pretty sure I've got everyone's love meters full except Eurydice, and that's only because I just keep forgetting that I still have to feed her another ambrosia and instead just mindlessly mash the buttons to get my food buff before I realize I bypassed that option again. Really wish they'd let you do that after talking with them, and not just before.

All that to say, I must have seen the new Artemis stuff already, but apparently it wasn't all that memorable. :shrug:

I got it, and it is very unmemorable. She just says something to the effect of, "I don't like being around most people other than the nymphs, but I think I would like being around you. We should go hunting together when you get up here." I don't even know what I did to trigger it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Beat a spear run with the Hades aspect and the two hammer upgrades that make the sweep move bigger, faster and more powerful. Hilariously trivialised all normal encounters so with the final boss I just zoomed around like an idiot hurting him with my dash and feeding him my lives until he died. Now to never use it again

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Spear gets a lot better when you realize the alternate attack (the throw) is really loving good and you should use it all the time.

Same goes for the rail.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I dont know posted:

I got it, and it is very unmemorable. She just says something to the effect of, "I don't like being around most people other than the nymphs, but I think I would like being around you. We should go hunting together when you get up here." I don't even know what I did to trigger it.

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall that now. It is kind of weird for her to like your company when the game generally implies that you can't really communicate with the gods, they just talk at you. But I've also seen dialogue that implies the opposite, so who even knows. I get the feeling they haven't quite nailed down the logistics of how the Zag-to-gods magic phone line really works.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall that now. It is kind of weird for her to like your company when the game generally implies that you can't really communicate with the gods, they just talk at you. But I've also seen dialogue that implies the opposite, so who even knows. I get the feeling they haven't quite nailed down the logistics of how the Zag-to-gods magic phone line really works.

Artemis is canonically a loner, so maybe she just likes guys who don't try to talk to her.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Patch notes from the technical beta with some of the new changes. If you don't want spoilers just know it's a bunch of cool stuff!

New Aspects:

Rail: Aspect of Lucifer - Fires a laser beam for the normal attack (still need to reload after your charge runs out). Special now fires out a hellfire bomb that pulses for damage before detonating for major damage(100 detonation damage at max level). Can be detonated early by attacking the bombs. Unlocked from Zeus

Bow: Aspect of Rama - Special is a concentrated rapidfire, and the normal attack is now a slower, wider crescent. Enemies that you hit with the special are marked and take damage when you hit anyone else with your normal attack (up to 60% of attack at max level). Unlocked from Artemis

​Shield: Aspect of Beowulf - Take 15% more damage, but you load your cast into your shield for more damage and width to your Bull Rush (+100% at max level). All loaded casts are fired at the end of your Bull Rush. Unlocked from Chaos.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Cinara posted:

Patch notes from the technical beta with some of the new changes. If you don't want spoilers just know it's a bunch of cool stuff!

New Aspects:

Rail: Aspect of Lucifer - Fires a laser beam for the normal attack (still need to reload after your charge runs out). Special now fires out a hellfire bomb that pulses for damage before detonating for major damage(100 detonation damage at max level). Can be detonated early by attacking the bombs. Unlocked from Zeus

Bow: Aspect of Rama - Special is a concentrated rapidfire, and the normal attack is now a slower, wider crescent. Enemies that you hit with the special are marked and take damage when you hit anyone else with your normal attack (up to 60% of attack at max level). Unlocked from Artemis

​Shield: Aspect of Beowulf - Take 15% more damage, but you load your cast into your shield for more damage and width to your Bull Rush (+100% at max level). All loaded casts are fired at the end of your Bull Rush. Unlocked from Chaos.

Very nice! Is the new patch release still TBD, or is there a date in stone just yet?

edit: I should have checked the dev page first. The answer is not yet, for those like me who are wondering.

Kaincypher fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 10, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Still TBD it seems, some time in June.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, that's a lot. Do you know if we're going to get every new weapon aspect for the June patch, or are planning to roll them out one at a time?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I love Aspect of Lucifer. Can't wait to hear the voice lines around that.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

BobTheJanitor posted:

The one area spear feels pretty good in is dash strikes. Instead of the little jab it has more of a sweeping attack. If you can pick up the hammer that makes dash strikes hit 3 times, it turns into a game of ping ponging between enemies and quick slashing their faces off. The guan yu aspect avoids the problem of having to retrieve the spear after every toss, but since they nerfed the spin on it to stop going through walls it's not that great otherwise.

Dashing around every map stabbing dudes repeatedly with my big fukkin spear is one of my favorite ways to play the game, though I literally don't use the other 2 'cause I hate the spin outside of Guan Yu's aspect--which I haven't actually won with yet even though it's probably my favorite melee weapon aspect.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm starting to like the Hades spear but I've been taking a break. It's strong.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I guess the shield really is good, because despite my boons being absolutely all over the place I still got my first win with it. It turns out all you really need is the absurd synergy of Minotaur Rush and Charged Shot, which turn the shield into the bow except you're mostly invincible while charging your 500 damage shots.

Second place goes to Demeter's legendary for finishing Hades when I was also on my last life and 10% health.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sindai posted:

I guess the shield really is good, because despite my boons being absolutely all over the place I still got my first win with it. It turns out all you really need is the absurd synergy of Minotaur Rush and Charged Shot, which turn the shield into the bow except you're mostly invincible while charging your 500 damage shots.

Second place goes to Demeter's legendary for finishing Hades when I was also on my last life and 10% health.

Yeah, Decay's pretty ridiculous in boss fights, especially considering you're probably only going to get it online in Elysium.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Spear is incredibly powerful for the dash attack alone. The rapid attack and armor piercer DH upgrades might as well be autowins for a run.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My first spear win I got auto attack, triple dash attack, and Zeus's chain lightning attack + supporting boons including legendary. Just lightning constantly, everywhere, forever. :science: The only thing that could have made it better would have been getting Artemis' missiles on attack.

The last weapon I need a win on is sword but the RNG really seems to hate it and won't give me a good build.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 13, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I legitimately think the sword is the hardest to win with because it has the worst defensive options. Most other weapons have longer range, and the ones that don't have a block (shield) or are quick enough to make dodging attacks easier (fists).

This is why I also find Exalibur to be the easiest sword aspect to win with. It gives you both enhanced defensive options as well as a huge attack range.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Excalibur with a big crits build totally owns

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
How do you unlock the 4th aspects? The wiki doesn't seem to have anything about them.

Arzaac posted:

I legitimately think the sword is the hardest to win with because it has the worst defensive options. Most other weapons have longer range, and the ones that don't have a block (shield) or are quick enough to make dodging attacks easier (fists).
Yeah, it doesn't help I'm constantly eating attacks I can either outrange or dodge with any other weapon.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I don't know the requirements for Guan Yu, but Arthur requires you to have Guan Yu unlocked and to have spent 5 blood on the sword (including aspect unlocks)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Fuuuuck sword. The hammer upgrade that makes thrust do most of your damage is a huge trap because Hades will hit you every time you stand near him long enough to finish the combo.

edit: There we go, all it took was a Dionysus/Aphrodite/Artemis run with 3 duos, a legendary, epic level 3 Support Fire, and Athena's dash to carry me to victory. Now I can wait for the patch.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 13, 2020

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I really like to “drive by” dash attacks with the sword: Dash in a direction parallel to your target’s position while spamming attack towards your target repeatedly. With the right upgrades it’s a ton of damage and the movement pattern keeps you very safe against most foes.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I never really enjoyed the sword very much until I unlocked Excalibur, it always felt like a bad middle of the road option compared to other weapons and also is the only weapon with zero ranged attacks. Excalibur owns though, more defensive and big rear end attacks with more area.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've had some better luck on the sword using dash strikes on M+KB controls. Gamepad is preferable for everything else, but mouse control lets you aim the dash strike so that if you dash to the side of an enemy you can still stab them at the end. Might be better if they just gave the sword dash strike a bit of a lock on effect, so you didn't have to be so perfectly aimed to hit with it while playing with a gamepad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Huh, I just checked and with a gamepad there actually is quite a bit of auto targeting for dash attacks. As long as you're close enough when you hit the attack button you'll turn and hit the enemy even if you're still holding the stick away from them. However, you have to be significantly closer than the range of the thrust.

And of course if you move the stick after starting the dash you have total control of where the thrust goes, but that definitely takes practice to do consistently.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I cannot stand controller controls in this game at all, it feels like it takes away all of my ability to aim my attacks myself, the auto aim is so absurdly strong with most of your attacks.

Also two of my favorite things, the Rail secondary and Dionysus cast are miserable to use without a mouse.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've found the auto-aim on the controller to be pretty swell actually? It falls off when trying to snipe enemies offscreen with the bow, but if you're doing that you're clearly in no hurry and can sit there for another 5 minutes trying.

I do agree that the bomb-targeting on it is almost unusable, but I'm not going to retrain myself into RSI-inducing KB&M on the one title I'm happy to use a controller for.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like I get good DPS with the sword, I know that doesn't seem to hold up under actual analysis but in practice I seem to poo poo out a lot of damage and kill bosses quickly. I dunno. I like it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh totally, the sword has always been the dps weapon (now fists contest that). Some players considered it weak since it required a much more aggressive playstyle and felt the minor dps boost wasn't worth it. But that's 100% down to personal preference, every discussion thread on weapon balance has everyone arguing about how every weapon is both the worst and the best, rapidly alternating and depending on the phase of the moon.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i.e., they seemed to have done a pretty good job balancing the weapons

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, outside of the Chaos Shield I feel like most weapons are pretty well balanced and I enjoy at least one aspect from every single weapon a ton.

The new bow aspect is really interesting but the fact that it charges so slow and you are interrupted if you get hit at all makes it a real challenge in some rooms. The damage is wild though and it actually has good AoE unlike the other bows. It might be my new favorite bow once it's fully upgraded.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I do like Guan Yu's move set a lot more than the regular spear, but it certainly seems to need to be upgraded to be truly viable. At least it's a good way to practice playing very slowly and carefully.

For talents, do people generally prefer the rare/epic boon ones or the special/more boons ones? I find those are the only ones I really have a hard time deciding between.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I always mix the sides of the mirror. I prefer more legendaries, duos, and epics.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I like Guan Yu a lot but I've not been able to make a full clear with it yet. I tried stacking it with the hammer buff that also gives you lifesteal in exchange for reduced health...that was a mistake. Never quite sure what the best boons are to use with it either, maybe the health increase effects from Demeter and Aphrodite?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The beta is on Epic now so I’m trying to decide if I want to play now or wait til they release it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not booted up the game in a few months now, I think I'm honestly going to take my own advice and just abstain until 1.0, or at least until I know I'm not grinding hours that I'll just repeat later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Serephina posted:

I've not booted up the game in a few months now, I think I'm honestly going to take my own advice and just abstain until 1.0, or at least until I know I'm not grinding hours that I'll just repeat later.

Oh, did they confirm that a save reset happens at 1.0?