Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

CharlesThunder posted:

should pretty much always take spikes on awoken right? The others seem real hard to get off the ground.

edit--covenant 10 and have a win with every primary except hell horn. They're my least favorite. what's a good clan to pair with them?
hellhorned-awoken is pretty simple if you get ascend to stack your upgraded units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

i think of demons posted:

hellhorned-awoken is pretty simple if you get ascend to stack your upgraded units

Also, always try to get at least 2-3 powered up direct damage cards that can hit anyone. Torch, vine whip, lightning storm, the morsel maker, that card that does damage and frostbite; all can really ruin those kind of troublemakers. This is critical when you get the guys that cause the entire floor to skip level 2 and go straight to sub-pyre.

Note your problem is that the card has to do at least 5 damage, which requires at least one upgrade by the end - all those do 1-3 damage

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Spikes is a good boss killing strategy but you need something for those big tank units that show up, including the harvest units that will gain massive armor from all their friends impaling themselves. That damage spell that works off of spike stacks is nice but you don't always see it. I like having one of the vine lady units for up-front damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dyzzy posted:

Spikes is a good boss killing strategy but you need something for those big tank units that show up, including the harvest units that will gain massive armor from all their friends impaling themselves. That damage spell that works off of spike stacks is nice but you don't always see it. I like having one of the vine lady units for up-front damage.

The one version of Seraph that halves buff stacks can really screw you over if you try to spike stack too depending on which rows it hits.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Zore posted:

The one version of Seraph that halves buff stacks can really screw you over if you try to spike stack too depending on which rows it hits.

Always look at seraph flavor before committing to a hero build. Debuff? Goodbye rage and thorns. Eat spells? No spell weakness Stygian. Sap? I dunno.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Sap just means avoid mass weak units or weak hits with multistrike and focus on large single hits or non-attack based damage.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

My beefed up Animus of Will has 3 health left. I have a Focused Growth in my deck I'm basically guaranteed to draw next turn. The Wiltwings enter the train. One of them gets hit by the Infused Mallet and dies, dealing 5 damage to my Animus, killing it before I even have a chance to heal it. I close my eyes and wait for the sweet embrace of death to take me

edit: i won that battle and then the run anyway. first win too. still though

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 11, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Color Printer posted:

My beefed up Animus of Will has 3 health left. I have a Focused Growth in my deck I'm basically guaranteed to draw next turn. The Wiltwings enter the train. One of them gets hit by the Infused Mallet and dies, dealing 5 damage to my Animus, killing it before I even have a chance to heal it. I close my eyes and wait for the sweet embrace of death to take me

edit: i won that battle and then the run anyway. first win too. still though

this game reminds me of binding of isaac in how it can mess you up like that with the wrong pickup

grats on the win :toot:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh yeah it’s balanced in a similar way as Isaac, which I’m all for. Getting stupidly overpowered feels dope

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I kinda wish you could draft your first 5 cards instead of having them be random though, because some early fights can feel tremendously lovely if you get like, Waxfall/Alpha Fiend/Wax spike you're pretty boned on high covenants.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uEk_q5YZH7lvk1C7ZarDUn1e43BTFfBA-lz3A4iz3tQ/edit#gid=1050201689

Jorb put together an ongoing guide for the game thats given me pause to re-evaluate more than a few cards I'd written off

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I never would have considered using intent on death on a money angel.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Einwand posted:

I never would have considered using intent on death on a money angel.

Ha, that's the first thing I did with it!

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I hate complaining about RNG in these games but having Burn Bright Rector and plenty of cards that increase burnout timer, and then just not drawing any of them in 3 turns in the pits.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The couple of times I've played Melting I didn't take the burnout champion, can he be reformed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Carecat posted:

The couple of times I've played Melting I didn't take the burnout champion, can he be reformed?

Yes, he can.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Yeah, I was just keeping my deck light and a reform card would have been a deadweight for everything except a champion death, which don't happen until the seraph fight. I was going off with Votivary, Flicker's Liquor and expensive Umbra spells.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Having a lot of fun with the game a few hours in. Had a bit of trouble getting a Stygian win without Awakened units as a crutch to handle the defense, though.

It feels like having a lot of Stygian totems and spell power and cost reduction would be interesting, but even the cumulative effect of multiple totems wouldn't be enough to deal with later enemies. Maybe I haven't unlocked a totem which lets you handle sweepers or high-health enemies? Is there on-turn card draw which would let your volume of spells per turn reach critical mass?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
A good way to handle sweepers (and high health enemies in general) is spell weakness combined with stygians high damage cards. Slap a level or two of spell weakness on something and hitting it for 30 damage turns into 60 or 90 damage, which I think covers the hp of any sweeper short of the sweeping boss.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Volatile Gauge is the most broken poo poo ever.

Duped my tome 3 times, basically was able to go ORA ORA ORA on the final boss with ease with 13 quick attacks per turn.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

hellhorned is so easy, just get 5x copies of double stacked ritual of battle and volatile gauge then cast them all on your multi strike champ and double the rage with last stand. bing bang boom

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

pray for my aunt posted:

Yeah, I was just keeping my deck light and a reform card would have been a deadweight for everything except a champion death, which don't happen until the seraph fight. I was going off with Votivary, Flicker's Liquor and expensive Umbra spells.

I mean, if you deploy the champ on the first floor, then you know your champ is going to die, right? Or you win on first floor in which case clearly you could afford to spend some cards on consistency. I think getting a Permafrosted reform card is really good for that reason - it covers those annoying variance spikes and will always give a ton of value lategame.

Five Eyes posted:

Having a lot of fun with the game a few hours in. Had a bit of trouble getting a Stygian win without Awakened units as a crutch to handle the defense, though.

It feels like having a lot of Stygian totems and spell power and cost reduction would be interesting, but even the cumulative effect of multiple totems wouldn't be enough to deal with later enemies. Maybe I haven't unlocked a totem which lets you handle sweepers or high-health enemies? Is there on-turn card draw which would let your volume of spells per turn reach critical mass?

Yep, the Sap totem can make you totally immune to everything except for thorns. Look at this hilarious run - my setup was having a dmg shield 2 / endless Sap totem, which I later hellvented. And the deck's gimmick was having double sap in front of Spell Weakness 2 Tethys, who would use the safety generated to stack ridiculous spell weakness. But I got unlucky with my Freeze, having only one source of Permafrost that I needed to lose for a Portal - and after doing the spell weakness turn, I didn't draw a single damage spell. GG, right? But the two totems were Endless, so I got them again - and turns out that plus my backup Crucible Warden was enough to win the game single-handedly. That 57 spell weakness ended up just being a nice to have.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Doublestack holdover aoe stealth is dumb.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think you mean best.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Loss edits get weirder by the day.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Isn't that variant of Seraph completely inconsequential though.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah if you have a proper build you can just power through the buff/debuff removal

Plus, stygian/awoken has access to other ways of winning

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Seraph also stops removing buffs/debuffs in the Final Wave, which is where you're gonna be stacking most of your Spell Weakness/Frostbites/etc anyway

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Kind of a weird comic, considering I had a run lately that easily plowed through that, though Stygian/Hellhorned. Most of it had little to do with the allied clan though, and more to do with how much frostbite I had stacked from some lucky and choices I made early in the run, even when he was still on the right side of the train and not during the final wave.

Anyways this was the run. Volatile Gauge with Titanstooth start leads to crazy stuff.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I do not know if the shark guard who revenges with frostbite is, in fact, good, but it is definitely one of my new favorites.

hito posted:

Yep, the Sap totem can make you totally immune to everything except for thorns.

Cool - I finally managed the Stygian/Hellhorned win (with a break to try out the Umbra, who are ridiculous) and the sap totem was one of the unlocks so I guess it's full speed ahead from now on.

I think this was also the run where I realized the difference between Offering Monument's -5 health and it taking 5 damage. An Endless monument was still probably worth it in the end but I thought I was being very clever indeed.

Five Eyes fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 13, 2020

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Five Eyes posted:

I do not know if the shark guard who revenges with frostbite is, in fact, good, but it is definitely one of my new favorites.

He is, in fact, good.

Yesterday while I had some downtime at work I read through that Google Doc of card evaluations. It helped give me some perspective on some cards and abilities I had been misvaluing. Regen, in particular, is pretty nuts if you can stack to critical mass, so I went with that and took an Awoken/Hellhorned run to a C22 win where Seraph defeated herself by repeatedly running into my spiky champion with regen of like 80. The fun part of that run was taking Spreading Spores, which is admittedly not super great at base, getting -1 cost and Doublestack on it, duplicating it, and then getting 5 more copies from the cavern event.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I don't know why I didn't like the frostbite shark before, I also think he's great after playing with him more. I do think Endless Sap/Armor Totems make for better Stygian "tanks" in general but I won't complain when I see him offered.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blizzardvizard posted:

I don't know why I didn't like the frostbite shark before, I also think he's great after playing with him more. I do think Endless Sap/Armor Totems make for better Stygian "tanks" in general but I won't complain when I see him offered.

In an ideal world I get a frostbite shark, a sap totem, and an coldcaelia to build a horrible death floor of frostbite (combined with Frostbite!Tethys).

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

blizzardvizard posted:

My issue was that I read it as "apply 3 frostbite per turn" not "apply 9+ frostbite per turn".

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Krakhan posted:

Kind of a weird comic, considering I had a run lately that easily plowed through that, though Stygian/Hellhorned. Most of it had little to do with the allied clan though, and more to do with how much frostbite I had stacked from some lucky and choices I made early in the run, even when he was still on the right side of the train and not during the final wave.

Anyways this was the run. Volatile Gauge with Titanstooth start leads to crazy stuff.

yeah it’s not the hardest seraph by far. he got me once tho, i just thought the art was funny.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Oh ya definitely, there is charm in the panels at least.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One of the covenant difficulties makes it so that your top floor units get dazed the turn you play them there. How did you guys adapt to that, did it change up your playstyle?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It changes a lot how you have to think about floors, especially if you want the bonus gold dude or ever want the trial that puts units on every floor. It also means certain units like Morselmaker are really rough on the top floor.

You end up having to think ahead a lot, and either ignore the floor or get it started a lot earlier. If you get caught in a bad situation you can't just put a unit up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Had an Umbra/Hellhorned run yesterday with shroud spike (two of them!), first hellpact, fossilized fangs, and a gorging penumbra champion and holy gently caress. Yeah, I will take a unit with upwards of 300 attack, 100 health, and several stacks of damage shield and lifesteal in the final boss battle, thanks for asking. I love this game because sometimes things just get loving busted as all hell