Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think there's always a problem doing anti-prezzy stuff since presidents come and go whereas the problems stay the same. hence why RATM mostly still sounds pretty fresh, showing you images of protesters in mexico city in the 60s and the black panther party etc. whereas an album about Bu$hitler doesn't
It happens that way because RATM are actually leftists, while most anti Bush musicians are just "Tipper Gore can't stop the rock!" culture war libertarians.

Celebrity entertainers are the perfect neoliberal subject, which is why our society exalts them more than any society at any point in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Abolish daycrew as that's all journalists are at their core

:nitecrew::justpost:

https://i.imgur.com/jDMRJGv.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

i thought we had rules against doxxing

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

He missed all the other tweets where Lee was very concerned with looting and looters.

yeah but ofc the petite-bougoise must be worried about looters. you want them to worried about looters

if they risk losing everything by siding with protestors but lose nothing by siding with cops, how do you think that ends? it ends like it always does, with them keeping their heads down while the boot comes down

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

It happens that way because RATM are actually leftists, while most anti Bush musicians are just "Tipper Gore can't stop the rock!" culture war libertarians.

Celebrity entertainers are the perfect neoliberal subject, which is why our society exalts them more than any society at any point in history

Johnny Rotten is a Tory that looks like a melted candle

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Mr Hootington posted:

I dont know where to post this, but it is podcast adjacent and some hosts posted Matt Taibbi's new article.

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1271586962516766720?s=19

I think it is a bad article. I know what he is getting at, but most of this is not the hill to die on.

Liz seems weirdly hostile to the current moment. The Trueanon stream the other day was mainly laying into the CHAZ and the demand's someone or other had issued. I get it that there's a lot of dumb disorganised Occupy drum circle poo poo going on, but pick your loving side. Either you're on board with the mission and dislike the tactics, in which case get out there and get involved, or accept that history's over, the people lost, we're just here to game and bitch and eat pizza until the seas boil. Taking cheap shots from your Twitch stream at the people in the streets is just wanking off.

You can't turn this around on me, I'm immune, I haven't said anything bad about the people in the streets.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I dont know where to post this, but it is podcast adjacent and some hosts posted Matt Taibbi's new article.

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1271586962516766720?s=19

I think it is a bad article. I know what he is getting at, but most of this is not the hill to die on.

lol that's the worst taibbi article ive ever read, he sometimes veers into being butthurt Punished Taibbi but usually not this bad

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Often Abbreviated posted:

Liz seems weirdly hostile to the current moment. The Trueanon stream the other day was mainly laying into the CHAZ and the demand's someone or other had issued. I get it that there's a lot of dumb disorganised Occupy drum circle poo poo going on, but pick your loving side. Either you're on board with the mission and dislike the tactics, in which case get out there and get involved, or accept that history's over, the people lost, we're just here to game and bitch and eat pizza until the seas boil. Taking cheap shots from your Twitch stream at the people in the streets is just wanking off.

You can't turn this around on me, I'm immune, I haven't said anything bad about the people in the streets.

i don't think anything is above criticism and i certainly don't think whats happening in seattle should be. don't really get the line of thinking that says you can't have an opinion about something if yr not directly involved in it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Victory Position posted:

Johnny Rotten is a Tory that looks like a melted candle
He could be wrong he could be right, he could be black he could be white

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't have an opinion on the CHAZ except that it's cool they bothered the police department enough to make them abandon that precinct

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

gh0stpinballa posted:

i don't think anything is above criticism and i certainly don't think whats happening in seattle should be. don't really get the line of thinking that says you can't have an opinion about something if yr not directly involved in it.

listen if you don't have the proper essences you can't comment on anything

it'd be like writing a book about anti-semitism without being jewish, clearly worthless

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Taibbi article is extremely bad, I say as someone who isn't familiar with any of the controversies besides the NYT and doesn't know who Lee Fang is

It seems like Taibbi is still understandably touchy about the furor over his satirical articles from the eXile. It's in Taibbi's class interest to fear Cancel Culture, but it's also in his class interest to see the NYT editorial board get a Republican baptism

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Brain Candy posted:

listen if you don't have the proper essences you can't comment on anything

it'd be like writing a book about anti-semitism without being jewish, clearly worthless

don't even get me started on marx criticizing capitalism, i'll bet he didn't even own a factory!

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think what he was getting at is that it's annoying that people would rather focus on anarchists doing cringe instead of y'know literally anything else

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah he's not wrong in the abstract and does correctly bring up the lack of reporting on the absurdity of things like hotep nancy pelosi and chuck schumer or the footwashing ablation ritual at the pro-police rally in cary, nc. but that stuff never gets called out for what it is in the mainstream press because they lack the ability to see the absurdity in those situations, not because they're afraid of upsetting people

I think Taibbi is correct about the ping ponging from crisis to crisis too.

I think the biggest problems are that the "free press" is always chasing ratings and have turned into opinion reporting.

His Tom cotton portion can gently caress right off though. The article may not have said kill the protestors, but cotton the day before or the same day of the article was saying so.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Taibbi article is extremely bad, I say as someone who isn't familiar with any of the controversies besides the NYT and doesn't know who Lee Fang is

It seems like Taibbi is still understandably touchy about the furor over his satirical articles from the eXile. It's in Taibbi's class interest to fear Cancel Culture, but it's also in his class interest to see the NYT editorial board get a Republican baptism

Yeah I think there is a weird class element to this. Same with how a lot of lefty journos were acting about covid and the lockdowns.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Jun 13, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
It honestly just read like any other article complaining about cancel culture. poo poo's a decade old.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If it weren't on substack, it wouldn't be out of place in the NYT

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the national guard already murdered an innocent person BTW

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Cotton did not call for “military force against protesters in American cities.” He spoke of a “show of force,” to rectify a situation a significant portion of the country saw as spiraling out of control. It’s an important distinction. Cotton was presenting one side of the most important question on the most important issue of a critically important day in American history.

looooool

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the military literally already shot someone dead lmao

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
you know it's bad when everyone who likes it thinks everyone who doesn't is a "radlib". log off taibbi, thanks for your contribution to the awful online left culture war

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

those dorks all became right wing in the 90s. they're just reactionaries

gradenko_2000 posted:

If it weren't on substack, it wouldn't be out of place in the NYT

yeah a bunch of the replies to liz's tweet were along the lines of this is the same column bari weiss and jonathan chait poo poo out every week

maybe he wrote it at gunpoint and he's being held hostage

The Muppets On PCP has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Jun 13, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm concerned that this is like that time i read a "debate" where Matt Taibbi teed off on a 9/11 truther and for a couple of years afterwards i was convinced of the controlled demolition theory.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lmao it got quoted by Morning Joe

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
taibbi talks more about why he thinks the culture of journalism is bad on his podcast, useful idiots. he seems to think the point of op ed pages is to air dissenting opinions and let the readers make up their own minds, in a search for truth or something, so he doesn't think an editor's role is to take widely held opinions and keep them from being aired.

i wish his co-host had pushed back on this because he clearly believes that op ed editors should keep all kinds of opinions from being aired, and it's not clear where the line is and why cotton's article does or doesn't cross that line.

beyond that, i think he has a personal interest in journalists not losing their jobs for voicing opinions that go against the liberal consensus, as he frequently criticizes them from the left (see: the russia hysteria). that doesn't make his argument less dumb, but i think that's why he's making it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I think the fundamental flaw of journalism is to robotically annihilate the idea of an unassailable common good through the need for impartiality

On one hand, the Earth's rainforests are worth more to humanity, even from a dollar perspective, intact than cut down. Trees are purely good and the more the planet has, the better, especially as they absorb carbon, the emissions of which are increasing year over year. There is no argument against preserving them or growing more. On the other hand, this company wants to cut down every tree in the world and turn them into disposable crap and make a ton of money off it privately, so who can say what is good or bad? (If they reported on that kind of thing at all)

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Did people always have the desire for the most contrarian hot take or is that something the CIA has MKULTA'd into our rotten minds? If I crack open the bible does the Epistle of James have a passage saying "Rich people are good, actually."?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finicums Wake posted:

taibbi talks more about why he thinks the culture of journalism is bad on his podcast, useful idiots. he seems to think the point of op ed pages is to air dissenting opinions and let the readers make up their own minds, in a search for truth or something, so he doesn't think an editor's role is to take widely held opinions and keep them from being aired.

i wish his co-host had pushed back on this because he clearly believes that op ed editors should keep all kinds of opinions from being aired, and it's not clear where the line is and why cotton's article does or doesn't cross that line.

beyond that, i think he has a personal interest in journalists not losing their jobs for voicing opinions that go against the liberal consensus, as he frequently criticizes them from the left (see: the russia hysteria). that doesn't make his argument less dumb, but i think that's why he's making it

the oped section would and will never run leftist opinions, the only reason the abolish police one made it in the NYT was because of the cotton shitshow

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I think the fundamental flaw of journalism is to robotically annihilate the idea of an unassailable common good through the need for impartiality
Nah, mainstream journalism is more than capable of establishing an unassailable common good. The problem is that mainstream media is all for profit corporations, so the unassailable common good is the neoliberal status quo

But I understand your point. It's because these networks are for profit, and have to capture the lowest common denominator, that they can only play the role of impartial referee in a debate, and stridently avoid appearing "activist." The absurdity of that just becomes more obvious over time as irreconcilable interests come into open conflict.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Finicums Wake posted:

He's wrong, op ed pages have never served any point beyond rewarding people with sinecures

Did people always have the desire for the most contrarian hot take or is that something the CIA has MKULTA'd into our rotten minds? If I crack open the bible does the Epistle of James have a passage saying "Rich people are good, actually."?
Commodifying basic human interactions on social media creates a demand for novelty without regard for external reality

Remember the original hot takes were journalists squeezing political commentary into articles about sports or whatever because they resented assignments they didn't believe were newsworthy

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Jun 13, 2020

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah a bunch of the replies to liz's tweet were along the lines of this is the same column bari weiss and jonathan chait poo poo out every week

maybe he wrote it at gunpoint and he's being held hostage

Nah he trusts that kind of nonsense and now that Greenwald stapled himself to it, expect this to get worse and worse. At least he has stopped trying to bring up Marielle Franco like he's Dona Perpétua to defend whatever stupid poo poo Tracey is up to these days.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i don't like liz or brace are and this is a binary thing bush lib poo poo. it's like when goons say 'oh dont' ever critique anything bad aoc/bernie is doing'. brace and liz isn't hostile to the people the on streets, they're more critiquing the meta surroundings of the online-o and even disorganization. i don't think i entirely agree with them and that's ok, but they also aren't wrong about many things and the whole 'oh don't talk about i, it's going to wither and die on the vine if you do' is lol. either it's strong to survive some cold/lukewarm/hot internet takes or it isn't.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/647285098?t=00h43m00s to 60 minutes is probably a good distillation

quote:

brace: i think the problem in america is our version of getting organized is spending 2 years doing whatever, in an unorganized fashion, and then getting together for like these sort of like festivals of jubilization every couple years infront of whatever we don't like. and for a few days or a few weeks or maybe a month there's sort of orgy of excitement and happiness, and it's like jubilization, and the sense, of the 'oh we're creating a new world right now' and that's not what happens. things get worse. and i know that not everybody is not under that illusion, but i think a lot of people want to believe that, and y'know its tough. and a certain point you have to admit we're losing and been losing and if they aren't working then you can't pretend they are.

liz: and then i think a question is why do we keep trying the same things over and over again, and it's not like people think these strategies are working, but we're just creating the same reactions, and i think that's interesting. like there's no organization for directing strategy or incorrect strategy, but this is the form that reaction is taking. but why is this reaction constantly taking this form, or like, why is it reactive in the first place

brace: i think the one thing that seems obvious to me if you look at history, and many do, and i think the only way to win things is through organization and like real organization. like look at northern syria and the kurds, it wasn't spontaneity, spontaneity doesn't work. they spent decades building, even their non military branches, are like organized in military branches and there's a chain of command and organized in a militarized political party. and thats how you win things. thats how bad people win things like that, and that's how good people win things. and without that, everyone's a little napoleon. there's no accountability, there's no way to work things out, and that means, especially in america, there's no way to win. spontaneity needs to be taken advantage, of course. that's the whole point, there's no organization to take advantage of spontaneity.

also yung/brace/liz are involved in sf/oakland protests at least. imo the real poo poo is going to be august sometime after bernie bux runs outs. this is just warmup and childs play and that's ok to critique it so things can be done better in aug after everyone gets evicted for not having money and UE is gone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1271869659009048576?s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

yeah I'm not paying a lot of attention, but the rest of the former eXiled/War Nerd milieu like Ames, Dolan, and Levine mostly seem excited that Americans have finally grown a backbone and fought back some.

that's not necessarily how I'd fame events, but it's more on target than defending Tom Cotton.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Lady Militant posted:

i think what he was getting at is that it's annoying that people would rather focus on anarchists doing cringe instead of y'know literally anything else

oh yeah i agree with that

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Halloween Jack posted:

He's wrong, op ed pages have never served any point beyond rewarding people with sinecures

yeah, he struck me as credulous, especially given that it's the nyt op ed page we're talking about

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Lady Militant posted:

To the point the last Matt Stream had him sneering at the garden pics, despite everyone there admitting it was a hobbyist garden and not an attempt at making a self-sustaining place, something that even the Mayor Durkin article confirmed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Taibbi:

MSNBC could put Michael Avenatti on live TV to air a gang rape allegation without vetting, because who cared about Brett Kavanaugh – except press airing of that wild story ended up being a crucial factor in convincing key swing voter Maine Senator Susan Collins the anti-Kavanaugh campaign was a political hit job (the allegation illustrated, “why the presumption of innocence is so important,” she said). Reporters who were anxious to prevent Kavanaugh’s appointment, in other words, ended up helping it happen through overzealousness.

I think it's adorable he believes Susan Collins's vote was ever in doubt. :allears:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Kunster posted:

To the point the last Matt Stream had him sneering at the garden pics, despite everyone there admitting it was a hobbyist garden and not an attempt at making a self-sustaining place, something that even the Mayor Durkin article confirmed.

Even if it was just meant a s a "hobbyist garden" it was still complete dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

I think Taibbi is correct about the ping ponging from crisis to crisis too.

I think the biggest problems are that the "free press" is always chasing ratings and have turned into opinion reporting.

His Tom cotton portion can gently caress right off though. The article may not have said kill the protestors, but cotton the day before or the same day of the article was saying so.

Yeah I think there is a weird class element to this. Same with how a lot of lefty journos were acting about covid and the lockdowns.

it's no surprise a lot of ex-Deadspin/Splinter/Gawker people have all slated the Taibbi article on Twitter, because it pushes back against the cliquey nature of modern lefty journalism and boy howdy if they weren't the cool kids table of the young NY media set