Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

Daggerfall is peak Elder Scrolls. its also been ported to Unity so it runs on modern computers and people made tons of graphical mods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVd2TtukVEE

oh poo poo im gonna check this out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

is pepsi ok posted:

"You see that mountain off in the distance? Well guess what you can actually go there."

"Whoa that's awesome. What can I do once I get there?"

"Uhhhh, you can look at the mountain, but like, closer I guess?"

also you can sort of keep humping/jumping up the side until the janky physics lets you "climb" your way up

you will do this for way longer than it would have taken you to just go around the drat mountain

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Excelzior posted:

also you can sort of keep humping/jumping up the side until the janky physics lets you "climb" your way up

you will do this for way longer than it would have taken you to just go around the drat mountain

So many hours spent humping the mountains...

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"See that mountain? You can gently caress it."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
use your horse to get up slightly higher on slopes you cant hump! get stuck in areas you cant get down from without dying from fall damage and also the game has dragons but you're still glued to the ground (don't tell anyone but the dragons are too, we just add a lot of negative space to make pretend flying)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rutibex posted:

speaking of humble bundles the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality is now up to 1,658 items for $5. its only has 2 days left, if you have not purchased this bundle you need to buy it now. its literally the best deal in video games to ever exist:

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

there are Photoshop brushes. holy poo poo.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

tango alpha delta posted:

there are Photoshop brushes. holy poo poo.

It's seriously nuts it's a must buy for anyone who's ever wanted to try their hand at game making. Pico-8 alone is worth the 5 bucks imho

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sid Vicious posted:

It's seriously nuts it's a must buy for anyone who's ever wanted to try their hand at game making. Pico-8 alone is worth the 5 bucks imho

lmao pico-8 is in there? I have an actual honest-to-god PocketCHIP charged up and within arm’s reach right this second, I should learn that poo poo

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

food court bailiff posted:

lmao pico-8 is in there? I have an actual honest-to-god PocketCHIP charged up and within arm’s reach right this second, I should learn that poo poo

Yeah man grab it while you can if you haven't it's got Pico-8 with the built in cart browser and some other recently made not free Pico-8 games too

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

Yeah man grab it while you can if you haven't it's got Pico-8 with the built in cart browser and some other recently made not free Pico-8 games too

oh yeah dude I grabbed the bundle the second I could, because ACAB, just haven’t really dug through it much

drat I’d kinda forgotten how cool the PocketCHIP is, I bet I could do something really cool/stupid with the exposed i/o contacts lmao

e: drat sunvox is cool as hell

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 14, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sad thing about how bad Civ VI and Beyond Earth are, because they have a few really good ideas in mechanics and gameplay intertwined with flavour. Cities and Wonders in VI taking up multiple hexes makes them feel more interesting and adds more layers to long-term planning. And I love that the victory conditions in Beyond Earth aren't just incrementing numbers but are large, obvious and vulnerable megaprojects, requiring large and ongoing investments of time and resources and make the endgame far more tense and competitive as they invite finally using all the endgame military units to potentially knock you back to square one to buy themselves more time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Civ VI wonders take up multiple hexes on the map? So like is the Eiffel Tower supposed to be 50 miles wide or something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This might be controversial but I like video games

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

video games... are bad :twisted:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

poverty goat posted:

video games... are bad :twisted:

you want the "pretty popular videogame opinions" thread

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

christmas boots posted:

This might be controversial but I like video games

games rule and i cant wait till im an old man organizing lan parties with other old men at the local old people home

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Civ VI wonders take up multiple hexes on the map? So like is the Eiffel Tower supposed to be 50 miles wide or something

It's been really depressed lately and overeating. :btroll:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Each wonder takes up a hex and a lot of them require a certain configuration of hexes to be built at all. Like it has to be a hill hex next to a river and stuff like that.

Like everything else in Civ VI, it really doesn't add anything interesting to the game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I looked at what games I like to play based on controls and environment and came to the conclusion that games that benefit from using a mouse a lot for selections like Slay The Spire, 4x games, RTS etc are obviously gonna be better on a PC but honestly the games I wanna play at my desk just don't require new hardware. I've seen people talk about 120hz gaming and poo poo like that a LOT but the cost of a PC that pushes that kind of framerate in games I'd care about that for in addition to a monitor that hits 1440p 120hz instead of the monitors I have now is a lot of money. So now I'm comfortable just riding out my 970-based machine until it dies and then I get a PC that can do office stuff and the games I would actually wanna play on PC, which just doesn't require much. I'd rather play games on my couch with a bigass tv and a gamepad. It's not like you're getting new games in humble bundles.

Anyway anyone who disagrees with my viewpoint for my own preferences can suck m'balls

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Each wonder takes up a hex and a lot of them require a certain configuration of hexes to be built at all. Like it has to be a hill hex next to a river and stuff like that.

Like everything else in Civ VI, it really doesn't add anything interesting to the game.

It sort of hints at a better way to do things than having cities be a zoom-in screen that's a massive pain to have 10+ of, but they never really go anywhere with it. It's kind of the story of civ in general, but especially 5 and 6. The game has to try to be so many differrent things that they can't innovate in interesting ways lest they risk losing someone.

Also i think the trend of strategy games since ck2 to try to be narrative games is awful and is leading to a bunch of dumb mechanical decisions where randomness takes the place of designing systems that offer genuine strategic choices, and having many of your strategy choices be decided by A or B dialog boxes rather than actually how you play the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No shut up, there are already like a billion strategy games that just focus on offering strategic choices with minimal flavor and they are boring as gently caress to play. And there are a million that provide strategic choices with flavor, but the flavor is bad or boring. I don't give a single gently caress about the Galactic Civilizations or Endless Space games, they're good strategy games that are not fun to play. I love Stellaris, which is a bad strategy game that's a lot of fun to play, and it's basically one-of-a-kind for the Space 4X genre. "Playing optimally" is idiotic you're supposed to play games to have fun

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

No shut up, there are already like a billion strategy games that just focus on offering strategic choices with minimal flavor and they are boring as gently caress to play. And there are a million that provide strategic choices with flavor, but the flavor is bad or boring. I don't give a single gently caress about the Galactic Civilizations or Endless Space games, they're good strategy games that are not fun to play. I love Stellaris, which is a bad strategy game that's a lot of fun to play, and it's basically one-of-a-kind for the Space 4X genre. "Playing optimally" is idiotic you're supposed to play games to have fun

You seem to be very confused about Endless Space (especially #2). It is hard in the "focus on narrative/atmosphere over mechanics" camp. Even more than Stellaris, easily.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Endless Space tries really hard to be flavorful but the flavor is sour milk, and both games fall under the "their flavor is bad or boring" category that I mentioned. In ES1 and 2 that stuff is really shallow imo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

civ needs to go partially back into the direction it went in with IV which introduced religions and ethnicity as things that can exist within a certain area. itd be cool to have balkan-like situations where, over the course of a game, historical areas are formed, like a region between certain natural boundaries is considered a single unit for purposes of statecraft instead of arbitrary zones of control around the cities. maybe even have nationalism mechanics where your people will clamor for war because the site of an ancient battleground that they lost 1000 years ago is occupied by their old conqueror, and things like that. it needs to have a narrative arc over the course of a single game where events matter and wars are more traumatic for better or worse

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

QuarkJets posted:

There are plenty of dumb narrative strategy games now with single optimal choices that offer very little meaningful strategic choice. Congratulations, you got your wish.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

There are plenty of dumb narrative strategy games now with single optimal choices that offer very little meaningful strategic choice. Congratulations, you got your wish.

No I didn't I said good flavor

Paradox seems to have gotten the magic right as far as flavor goes. Other makers give a token effort but do it poorly or don't do enough. Yes, sometimes the "optimal" strategy entails getting a lucky event; I do not care that much about playing optimally, so long as the game largely respects your strategic choices then it's fine to not get that lucky massive pop growth bonus from the magic space fungus event.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 16, 2020

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I'm addicted to construction simulator 2, deep down I know it's probably garbage trash but it's so god drat relaxing

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sid Vicious posted:

I'm addicted to construction simulator 2, deep down I know it's probably garbage trash but it's so god drat relaxing

Years and years and years ago I played Demolition Company for the same reason.

It was a janky weird mess with all of like 8 different things to do but man it was chill as hell knocking down a building then placing every single piece into a big rock grinder.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

PinheadSlim posted:

Years and years and years ago I played Demolition Company for the same reason.

It was a janky weird mess with all of like 8 different things to do but man it was chill as hell knocking down a building then placing every single piece into a big rock grinder.

I built a two story house and it took me like two hours and I was just relaxed the entire time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
civ 4 had the best take on religion, where it's a cool bonus for everyone, you can leverage it into early-game power blocs, and the founder gets a cut of the profits. civ 5 and 6 making it into a zero sum game made it "dumb." all it does now is make everyone hate each other because spreading it gives penalties, and you lose out on bonuses if someone spreads theirs to you. you don't get any of the diplomatic intricacies of "all religions are good but this is the one the winners are with right now" because it's just a constant struggle to keep everyone else out while doing your best to get in progress against them edgewise.

very rarely, i'll play games of civ 5 where i either capture or corner a holy city of another religion, and you'll start generating great prophets for a defeated civ's religion from that. i've experimented with using those to overwrite my own religion so i can buy their special buildings, and then paving back over with mine. you actually keep the other buildings and their bonuses--imagine how cool it would be if 5 or 6 could support multiple religions in their cities like 4 did, just doing your best to coax missionaries out of civs that hate you so you can get in on those unique buildings.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

the level of sheer zen i achieve performing violence at nazis in sniper elite 4 has started to worry me

it should not be nearly as relaxing as it is

today i shot a gunner out of a moving tank at 70m as the turret was spinning without using the slowdown bullet time mechanic at all

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

food court bailiff posted:

the level of sheer zen i achieve performing violence at nazis in sniper elite 4 has started to worry me

it should not be nearly as relaxing as it is

today i shot a gunner out of a moving tank at 70m as the turret was spinning without using the slowdown bullet time mechanic at all

hundreds of thousands of years ago humans survived by chasing animals until the animals ran out of strength and died where they stood

doing well at violent games brings peace to a very primal, inextricable part of your brain

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

if its fun then its a good game, it doesn't matter how some reviewer or youtuber who dissects it "objectively" thinks, the answer is in your heart

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yo, someone has made Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge in Unity. Since we can't play Bonestorm it's the only option.
https://aaron-demeter.itch.io/lee-carvallos-putting-challenge

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The White Dragon posted:

hundreds of thousands of years ago humans survived by chasing animals until the animals ran out of strength and died where they stood

doing well at violent games brings peace to a very primal, inextricable part of your brain

And when it’s a nazi, man, *chef’s kiss*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

civ 4 had the best take on religion, where it's a cool bonus for everyone, you can leverage it into early-game power blocs, and the founder gets a cut of the profits. civ 5 and 6 making it into a zero sum game made it "dumb." all it does now is make everyone hate each other because spreading it gives penalties, and you lose out on bonuses if someone spreads theirs to you. you don't get any of the diplomatic intricacies of "all religions are good but this is the one the winners are with right now" because it's just a constant struggle to keep everyone else out while doing your best to get in progress against them edgewise.

very rarely, i'll play games of civ 5 where i either capture or corner a holy city of another religion, and you'll start generating great prophets for a defeated civ's religion from that. i've experimented with using those to overwrite my own religion so i can buy their special buildings, and then paving back over with mine. you actually keep the other buildings and their bonuses--imagine how cool it would be if 5 or 6 could support multiple religions in their cities like 4 did, just doing your best to coax missionaries out of civs that hate you so you can get in on those unique buildings.

There actually are a couple civs at least in 4 and 5 that encourage letting religions spread, Indonesia's unique building even gets more bonuses the more religions you have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

It's about the precision of the violence too. Hitman can be incredibly tense and stressful right up until you put everything into motion to kill exactly your targets and calmly walk out the door as no one else notices.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
the best Civ is the first one. all the others are just derivative.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the first and only good civ game is Alpha Centauri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

birth of the federation is a good space 4x game because you can be the cardassians