Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I converted my dad to eating sardines. He used to eat them sometimes but now eats a can a week at my guidance. So sometimes the child influences the dad re: sardines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

my standard sardine delivery vehicle these days is a bowl of kimchi fried rice. it's easy af and you put a fried egg and a tin of sardines on top them mush 'em as much as you want.

this with frozen veggies + sardine has basically been getting me through quarantine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTFWLzxCoYs

if you don't have gouchujang in your fridge you're missing out btw you can put that poo poo in all sorts of stuff.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 31, 2020

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tin of crown prince kipper snacks tonight. Love that smoky flavor.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
For those of you who want to get fancier with your sardines, I was clearing out some browser tabs and found these videos for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR5a-N9bPZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRYONzXFxA

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Made a salad with some Smiling Fish brand fried baby clams with chili. There wasn't as much sauce inside as I was expecting and it wasn't that hot per se, so to round out the dressing I put in sour cream with some Himalayan pink salt & freshly ground black pepper as seasoning. Not bad, though I think I put a tad too much salt.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Corner store is out of sardines and they had a single can of these and nothing else that would qualify as healthy fish so they’re mine now

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Keith Atherton posted:

Corner store is out of sardines and they had a single can of these and nothing else that would qualify as healthy fish so they’re mine now

i love belas

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dang, now I want some Bela mackerels.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've been eating a lot of sprats lately. I usually just make that celery salad from upthread or fry some potatos and onions and just dump a can of smoked sprats on that. Lunch!

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
A coworker of mine said he was hungry the other day, so I offered him some food from my work stash. Since we have a job where lunch is not automatically at a certain time, I keep rations on hand. I led with a banana or apple, then offered my ace in the hole. KO Meds, and I don't offer them lightly.

He rolled his eyes and went to Burger King. His loss.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
pfft. what a dingus

I was pleasantly surprised today when I reached into the deep recess of one our kitchen cupboards for something and instead found a tin of Brunswick gourmet filets in mustard and dill sauce, my favorite.

I ripped that motherfucker open like I was the jaws of life

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Lunch today is KO Tiny Tots over rice with some chili crisp on top. A+++ would dine again.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Keith Atherton posted:

Review: Nice and flavorful without being overly fishy. Skins are a bonus. At $4.50 I probably won’t buy them often

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Made hash/fisherman's eggs for breakfast.

-leftover French fries from yesterday's dinner
-leftover shredded cabbage/carrots from a coleslaw package I got at the grocery store
-a couple shiitake mushrooms
-one shallot
-2 garlic cloves
-1 can Rügen Fisch brand smoked pepper herring fillets
-3 eggs
-small handful of crumbled cojita cheese
-chopped parsley

Dumped the entire contents of the herring tin, which unfortunately I did the work I put into crisping up the potatoes. Next time I'll drain the tin and save the liquid for lunch's salad dressing.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

spotted at local asian supermarket

picked one up, looking forward to the occasion to eat it

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Peanut Butler posted:

That’s one of my faves. They sell them at a local Filipino market and I love the taste and texture. Their mackerel is great too.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Are canned oysters any good? I've only ever had them raw or fried.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Peanut Butler posted:

Man I want to go to Portugal and/or Spain and Morocco to eat all the seafood some day

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Are canned oysters any good? I've only ever had them raw or fried.

They're pretty dang good. I can see some folks not liking the texture. I had a can of Crown Prince Oysters with chilis the other day and it was pleasantly spicy.

Also just had a can of CP Kippers for the first time. Was good on some crackers with a garlic olive on top.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Canned oysters are real good and I’m dying to try the St Jean’s smoked oysters somebody mentioned upthread. Also the smoked mussels.

Mussels are very underrated in general imo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Peanut Butler posted:

Nice find! Hope you got 3 tins: one for straight up consumption over a sink, one spread on crackers, and one to eat in a salad.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Cod liver report - I got a few cans of Riga Gold brand which reviews rated as highly as any.

Sadly, I am not a fan. Imagine soft greasy fish jello, the oily richness combined with springy mushy texture was just too much. The flavor was okay but not enough to keep me on board. The oil, which I guess isn't added but comes out of the liver as the can is cooked in the retort, was better than the solids and I dipped a few crackers in it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Totally understandable that you're not a fan of the texture. I find it best when paired with a crunchy item like crackers or toast.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Peanut Butler posted:

Well don't leave us hanging!

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Android Apocalypse posted:

Totally understandable that you're not a fan of the texture. I find it best when paired with a crunchy item like crackers or toast.

Yeah, I've still got a couple cans to experiment with, maybe some wasa crispbread or something would work with it, and maybe some chopped onion or chives too.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Well don't leave us hanging!

was able to afford one of them, and two cans of Tome w/Chili in Olive Oil (my favorite spicy ones, better than the Bela chili and cheaper; tho the Tome w/regular olive oil aren't as good as the same Belas imo)

they are sitting in my canfish stack still awaiting the occasion; got some Wild Planets from a couple months ago, and a Tome Pickle flavor that I haven't tried yet, also some braised eel that's full of all kinds of junk but I had to try

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I was given a can of this

by a friend from work. Mackerel in miso, pretty much a steak with bones and skin so some each of lean back and fatty belly meat. Slightly sweet and really good. I checked amazon - waaaay too expensive to buy that way, for me at least. At least I got to try it once.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

If you don't know yet, I'm a massive KO fan. My fav being KO dines with jalapeno. I've always been anti-skinless/boneless even though I've never even tried it before. Eat tha bones! I always say. Well yesterday I decided to buy some KO skinless/boneless dines in olive oil. I better try out what I regularly insult and degrade as I shouldn't allow myself to be so ignorant.

Well here's my review of it: it literally tasted no different than cheap canned tuna. If you blindfolded me and I taste-tested some canned fish, I would assume it's some tuna and not sardines at all. I expected way more since I'm used to the unique sardine flavor I've grown to love. Eliminating the bones and removing the skin must do something to really alter the flavor because it was something completely different. They do sell this in a more refined olive oil versus extra virgin but that wouldn't make it taste like bland tuna. I've had the Polar brand woodsmoked dines and those come in a more refined olive oil as well. They still have that wonderful dine flavor.

So yeah, if you're reading this thread thinking of taking the plunge and plan on buying boneless/skinless first - DON'T.

EAT THA BONES

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 13, 2020

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

agreed

I had a can of king oscar skinless/boneless that was alright on toast with mustard, no regrets, but it's better suited to go into a pasta or something

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd like to ask for some ideas on how to use sardines in a prepared meal with some pretty serious limitations.

I got gifted a bunch of skinless/boneless Seasons in olive oil, and would like to make a dish I can share with my partner.

Here are the limitations:
Low carb/diabetic (so usual rice and pasta are out)
No egg (allergy thing)
No tomato (tomato sauce is fine, just not fresh tomato)
No artichoke
No avocado
No capers
No pickles
No vinegar (outside a small amount/used in cooking process)

If I am just making stuff for myself it's really easy (I'll eat drat near anything) but I am feeling kind of stuck when it comes to dishes that include any of the above.

Anyone have suggestions or jumping off points for this?

Fair warning: I am very lazy and it might take me a long time to follow through even if great ideas are presented.

Thanks.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
season's skinless boneless are fine. I like them because they're less smokey than most dines. meat could be a little firmer, but I like the way the oil sort of oozes the 'dine meat.

poster above. maybe list the things this person can eat. would be easier.

I see mushrooms aren't on there. nor onions or garlic. looks like couscous is -relatively- low carb. make couscous either with or topped with onion and garlic toasted mushrooms then dump the 'dines and most of the oil on top of that. or fry the onions and musrooms and garlic together with spinach and then top with the 'dines. no vinegar, but if lemon juice is o.k. that tends to taste better anyway.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Or just sub riced cauliflower for the starch in any other recipe. Or maybe zucchini noodles or something similar

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
canned squids are the cats pajamas.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd like to ask for some ideas on how to use sardines in a prepared meal with some pretty serious limitations.

I got gifted a bunch of skinless/boneless Seasons in olive oil, and would like to make a dish I can share with my partner.

No egg (allergy thing)
No artichoke
No avocado
No capers
No pickles

If I am just making stuff for myself it's really easy (I'll eat drat near anything) but I am feeling kind of stuck when it comes to dishes that include any of the above.

Fair warning: I am very lazy and it might take me a long time to follow through even if great ideas are presented.

Thanks.

Salad is the easiest and what I do with somewhat-similar dietary restrictions. Drain the sardines and keep the oil. Take said oil, combine with a squirt of mustard, season with salt, pepper, and whatever other herbs & spices tickle your fancy. Since no vinegar I'd use lemon juice as your acid. Mix thoroughly. Greens of your choice. Other veggies like carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc. Nuts are a great addition (I've been roasting pine nuts) as well as cheese.

I've also been making my own keto-friendly bread with almond flour, so a sardine melt would be another option if you feel like trying your hand at baking.

As mentioned, zucchini noodles and sardines as a "pasta" dish are great.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Wife got me a new cookbook! :coolfish:

She's a kipper.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Planet X posted:

Wife got me a new cookbook! :coolfish:

She's a kipper.

:rimshot:

Speaking of which, had some Appel kipper fillets mixed into a salad. Man, tinned fish in salads is my favorite meal now. Not is it tasty, it's pretty darn healthy for you too!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No egg (allergy thing)
No artichoke
No avocado
No capers
No pickles

Thanks.
The ol cat food special:
Oil a frying pan with the oil from the dine can
Saute up your choice of stir fry vegetables. Substantial veggies first like broccoli, peppers to cook down in time to next
Fry up onion, garlic, and the dines. High heat if you like a bit of crust / like burnt garlic. Or medium high, or crust the dines and substantial veggies before adding the onion and garlic. A stir fry is all about you.
Season with something shakey like Cajun, season salt, Asian spice mixes, or salt and pepper I guess

Serve as is or on top of a starch substitute.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I got some Season brand and while they're really tasty the scaling job is pretty half assed so I have to scrape them before I eat them. Not as bad as the Goya ones I tried but a little disappointing.

Does king Oscar sell any non-brisling besides the skinless boneless? I find the tiny fish to be quite bland.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Their anchovies which aren't boneless, and their mackerel which are skinless and boneless. Their sardines come in the largest variety of flavors/seasonings compared to any other brand names I've seen. If you somehow find their standard dines with skin-n-bones in EVOO bland then just know that you aren't stuck with just that. As I previously stated, their boneless/skinless is extremely disappointing. Also taste somehow dry even though they were stored in olive oil.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Their anchovies which aren't boneless, and their mackerel which are skinless and boneless. Their sardines come in the largest variety of flavors/seasonings compared to any other brand names I've seen. If you somehow find their standard dines with skin-n-bones in EVOO bland then just know that you aren't stuck with just that. As I previously stated, their boneless/skinless is extremely disappointing. Also taste somehow dry even though they were stored in olive oil.
I've had the boneless/skinless KOs and I agree that it's a lot like tuna. It's also extremely close to the wild planet mackerel. It's the tiny tots/dual layers I find bland. The only other KOs I've had are the Mediterraneans but I'm not really a fan of herbs de provence. My store has a limited selection but I want to try others. Oh, I've had the KO mackerel, too. Great texture.

I'm shopping around because I used to buy wild planet dines all the time but a while ago they really changed. There's a lot of gray and brown sludge stuck to the tin and the fish are drier and slightly bitter. I assume all the sludge is fat that has rendered out, hence the dryness. Still OK for mixing up with mayo or making puttanesca but not for eating plain. Plus the cans are a bitch to clean out for the recycling bin.