Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

more falafel please posted:

So I know this is hearsay bullshit and you don't have to believe me but I talked to Priya about Brad a bit when I met her last summer. She basically said like "he's a white dude from Jersey, he's got a lot of poo poo to unlearn that he's just never considered before, but he Means Well and is getting better about it"

I believe you but that is Brown Person Trying To Keep Their Job for "that person is insufferable and I do my best to avoid them at work".

Source: me, a brown person who said almost that exact thing last week about the guy at work I despise and who insists that the coronavirus is caused by 5G signals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Veskit posted:

You know Conan makes big bucks off those clueless gamer vids and all he does is trash the poo poo out of them. Everyone already has their opinions on Andes mints they just needa get the poo poo out there.

Conan has actually talked about this, game companies are fine with him trashing their stuff because, to their target audience, he's an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about. Actual chefs talking about how disgusting a food item is hits closer to speaking from authority. Though with how masturbatory Gourmet Makes is I can food companies looking at it kind of cynically. Like "Sure you could make a better version, but look how much trouble a trained professional went through to do it." There's probably more gourmet makes videos than people who actually made the item.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Shrapnig posted:

This won't work unless you mean on a social level.

Why can't the workers at BA organize?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Conan has actually talked about this, game companies are fine with him trashing their stuff because, to their target audience, he's an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about. Actual chefs talking about how disgusting a food item is hits closer to speaking from authority. Though with how masturbatory Gourmet Makes is I can food companies looking at it kind of cynically. Like "Sure you could make a better version, but look how much trouble a trained professional went through to do it." There's probably more gourmet makes videos than people who actually made the item.

The biggest difference though is a video game is a brand new release so it's an uninformed opinion while with gourmet makes I highly doubt their target audience are people who have never had it. It's a 50 minute reminder of hey these jelly beans actually are tough to make so you should appreciate them when you eat them.

Or like the Peanut butter cup episode that is so dumb to even attempt like what the gently caress.

But I mean if you take away the cynicism you have to admit there's no loving way they aren't getting paid on at least some of those episodes. You tell me that loving hot pocket didn't sponsor that episode and I'll listen.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The company behind Takis obviously found the best way to spread word they exist was through Gourmet Makes

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tweak posted:

The company behind Takis obviously found the best way to spread word they exist was through Gourmet Makes

Sooo... it wasn't a co-worker sharing a taki with me in a dirty Old Navy break room in 2009?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it can be a multi part plan

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

droll posted:

That would be ideal but, ya know, some of them benefit from the status quo and might not want to risk too much of it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tweak posted:

It was actually by astroturfing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YLy4j8EZIk

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

droll posted:

Because they don’t work for BA, they work for Condé Nast which has 3400 global employees in an industry where people are willing to work for nothing to get their name out there.

I think there’s a huge misconception about how “easy” it is to organize in the workplace. Many companies have severe anti-union policies and the mere suggestion of unionization leads to immediate termination in a lot of cases.

When was the last time a company of any real note actually unionized? Kickstarter voted to do so a few months ago, barely, but they only have 145 employees.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Vox media employees unionized across their different brands like last year or the year before, including the Polygon video people, which is another personality-based video team.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And then subsequently when through a position consolidation and round of layoffs that just happened remove the positions of the more vocal members of unionizatio
n.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They should all just break off and form their own channel

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And then subsequently when through a position consolidation and round of layoffs that just happened remove the positions of the more vocal members of unionizatio
n.

They’re also a small, new media company. Condé Nast has been around for 111 years.

Steve Yun posted:

Call it Banned Appetit

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Honestly yeah. They've got Hunzi to shoot/produce and all the talent. They probably couldn't call the shows the same things if BA owns the IP but who even knows the names of the shows besides Gourmet Makes or It's Alive.

Failing that, Food Network or some other media company would be stupid not to pick them up.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

n.

I mean yeah but the point is that they unionized. Of course there’s going to be retaliation from the corporate overlords when that happens. Not entirely sure of your point here. It’s not easy, never is, maybe Condé Nast employees can’t do it, who knows.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

xtal posted:

He's been drunk or something in every video recorded at home. And he seems like the person who would call the transmission in their car a 6-letter t-word without realizing why it was rude. But I also have a hard time finding him culpable just because of how extremely drunk and/or stupid he is. He's got golden retriever energy as they say, and sometimes a dog eats poo poo.

I think this xtal guy seems like someone who yells at his kids and says the n-word a lot.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

when i got to know a new hire who came on the same day as me with the same title (associate editor), i had to feel out what sort of politics he had before broaching the subject of pay. it took him 6 months until he was comfortable telling me what he was paid after I asked. we work for the same publisher, but different publications. turns out we are being paid the same salary, but he was so scared to tell me "$60,000" it took hours of feeling me out before he'd divulge it to me outside of the office during lunch. america is a hosed up place, and my mind was blown that i was being paid more than sohla with zero experience in the field I was writing about. now we make the same amount of money, except I dont have to live within commuting distance to goddamn Manhattan. the Boston region isnt terribly affordable, but it sure as poo poo isnt NYC.

on an entirely different subject, mac and cheese for thanksgiving was never a thing for my new england family, but I'd absolutely consider making it next time I host. The modernist cuisine recipe is so drat easy and it'd complement the meal so well.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Shrapnig posted:

Because they don’t work for BA, they work for Condé Nast which has 3400 global employees in an industry where people are willing to work for nothing to get their name out there.

I think there’s a huge misconception about how “easy” it is to organize in the workplace. Many companies have severe anti-union policies and the mere suggestion of unionization leads to immediate termination in a lot of cases.

When was the last time a company of any real note actually unionized? Kickstarter voted to do so a few months ago, barely, but they only have 145 employees.

So no real reason, you just meant it will be hard. That's not new news.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm not sure this is the best for all the workers though. Just the ones directly involved in the production of videos. But yes the 'face' of the workers could definitely do this.

droll fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 14, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

bon appetit wouldn't be the first conde nast publication to form a union. ars technica, the new yorker, pitchfork, and wired. all have unions that sent out a message about the whole recent incidents.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's probably more gourmet makes videos than people who actually made the item.

A couple of the recent ones had user submissions at the end and there were quite a few.

piratepilates posted:

bon appetit wouldn't be the first conde nast publication to form a union. ars technica, the new yorker, pitchfork, and wired. all have unions that sent out a message about the whole recent incidents.

gently caress yeah I hope they unionize. Syndicalism is good!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sohla is on the last episode of The Sporkful podcast and really takes the gloves off.

Also, not only to say I told you so, she says that Brad didn't know racism existed until now.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
JFC they kept telling Sohla "you'll get paid tomorrow" for months.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

$35k pre tax without any raise or even a COL adjustment in 3 years to live in NYC and be an errand runner for a smug douche. Goddamn.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Man that episode really highlights what a piece of poo poo Matt Duckor is

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Also how lovely the interim EiC is, goddamn make Sohla EiC if she wants it, unfortunately I feel like if she loses this BA gig the rest of the lovely white food magazines are going to shun her.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Colonel Whitey posted:

Man that episode really highlights what a piece of poo poo Matt Duckor bosses and corporations are

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Grem posted:

Also how lovely the interim EiC is, goddamn make Sohla EiC if she wants it, unfortunately I feel like if she loses this BA gig the rest of the lovely white food magazines are going to shun her.

I've been afraid of this, and there are two dimensions to it. One is that Conde Naste and the established conglomerates can blocklist them. Two, people are reluctant to employ people who called out and took down their previous employer.

This is a rare, specific set of circumstances where the employees can make their indie company and challenge Conde Naste. Because the part we all seem to love about BA is also the part that Conde stands to lose. There was also just a shift to home studios, so everyone will be on equal playing field.

It's huge that Sohla is a fan favorite but was lead to believe otherwise by the admins, probably because they were afraid of them making their own company.

xtal fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 14, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If they all went and started their own thing I don't think many people would care that it wasn't BA - it's about the personalities, not the brand.

Grem posted:

Part of me worries about this, but part of me thinks that her Serious Eats content and overall "online presence" haven't really pulled punches before. So you have to have known who you were hiring to a certain extent already? But this is definitely to a different level.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 14, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BA Exodus -> Cooking Giant Bomb imo

which would kick rear end

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
If there's a BA exodus I guarantee you some of the more lilly white chefs wouldn't leave their jobs at a "prestigious" institution like Bon Appetite.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Grem posted:

If there's a BA exodus I guarantee you some of the more lilly white chefs wouldn't leave their jobs at a "prestigious" institution like Bon Appetite.

I think I know the C-suite wink wink you are talking about, but they are also going to have to deal with the fallout on their end from the rest of the people leaving.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sounds like Food Network or Netflix would do well to (lightly) poach some of these people.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’m still not mad at brad though

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Munchies! Pick their asses up! I saw Pryia did a video for munchies back in the day so why not have the rest there :shrug:

Veskit posted:

I’m still not mad at brad though

:hmmyes:

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Honestly Sohla could drop BA and start a Patreon. I for one would be more than glad to drop at least $5 a month to watch her do her thing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

droll posted:

So no real reason, you just meant it will be hard. That's not new news.

No, I mean it won’t happen because there’s no leverage.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Dear lord I pray you are just an armchair expert and have no real part of organizing workers.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

droll posted:

Dear lord I pray you are just an armchair expert and have no real part of organizing workers.

What’s your expertise?

I run a payroll company, it’s very small, I’m not Mr Intuit, but I have daily conversations with people on both sides of this conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don't they have split employment too? Like they work for BA on the magazine and Conde for the YouTube channel? Like that was the whole problem that started everything, Sohla was working for BA as an assistant editor on the magazine and Conde started using her in videos without payment. I know Conde owns BA buts its still a legal separate and distinct company.