Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm on Covenant 24 now and suddenly I can't even beat Daedelus anymore. That extra pyre damage removes a lot of wiggle room. I did get another regen spamming Awoken run to Seraph but couldn't clear the 10/190 guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
How I changed in reaction to that was to take fewer trials and spend gold more efficiently.

(My win rate didn't improve, I just brute forced OP poo poo to cov25 haha frost shark go brrr)

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

One of the covenant difficulties makes it so that your top floor units get dazed the turn you play them there. How did you guys adapt to that, did it change up your playstyle?

Wait until you get to the covenant that randomly makes one floor smaller in capacity by one. You generally just need to plan out floors better.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
If I purge a card does it still turn gold if I win the run?

I have the get 30 gold per energy and purge card and probably don't need to cash it in but I need it to turn gold.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
No, purged cards are lost and will not become golden

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

One of the covenant difficulties makes it so that your top floor units get dazed the turn you play them there. How did you guys adapt to that, did it change up your playstyle?

That covenant addition makes me much more likely to try to play a floor 3 minion, any minion, on the first turn. It's a good train steward dump. I've lost too many of those +gold extinguish enemies by not doing so, since there's no guarantee you'll have a spell to take them out any any minion you play up there will be useless on that turn. Other than that I haven't found it to be all that noteworthy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If I purge a card does it still turn gold if I win the run?

I have the get 30 gold per energy and purge card and probably don't need to cash it in but I need it to turn gold.

They do not. It's only cards in your deck at the end of the run.

However, if you don't use that card in the current fight or the next one, you'll get an artifact which changes "Purge" to "Consume" on all your cards.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm on Covenant 24 now and suddenly I can't even beat Daedelus anymore. That extra pyre damage removes a lot of wiggle room. I did get another regen spamming Awoken run to Seraph but couldn't clear the 10/190 guys.

Yeah it makes snowballing harder too. I've had runs where I just upgrade/duplicate the weirdest units for the sake of early game tempo and try to cobble together a wincon from there somehow.

Those frontline tanks also made me value Piercing cards a lot higher; I pick Horn Break a lot of the time in Hellhorned for example so I can +10 Spell Power it and oneshot the tanks.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Anyone else think the remove consume +1 cost spell upgrade ought to be a minor one? Like sure its occasionally useful but feels like a wasted shop waaaaay more than the others

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:toot:

Don't think I'll bother with full gold collection though, especially since I don't have golden bone dog yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

Don't think I'll bother with full gold collection though, especially since I don't have golden bone dog yet.

Just master all the cards on Covenant 1 if it ever bothers you.

I was watching a streamer play the other week; he got offered Bone Dog and took 10G instead. He now knows exactly what proportion of his viewers are lurkers.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

I’d be interested to know which clan cards you HAVENT earned gold on yet

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I’d be interested to know which clan cards you HAVENT earned gold on yet

Hellhorned: Imp-in-a-Box, Horned Warrior, Imp-olate, Imp-pressive, Transcendimp, Branding Rite, Consumer of Crowns (I find Imp decks to be pretty awkward to draft yeah, I had one that nearly worked though and it was a pretty fun deck)

Awoken: Ensnare, Vinemother, Adaptive Mutation, Focused Growth, Pyre-Gro, Spreading Spores, Cycle of Life

Stygian: Gifts for a Guard

MR: Devourer of Death, Remnant Host

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

If you play the daily today, don't forget it gives endless to morsels too like I did and prevents you from ever drawing anything useful. :cripes:

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Jedit posted:

They do not. It's only cards in your deck at the end of the run.

However, if you don't use that card in the current fight or the next one, you'll get an artifact which changes "Purge" to "Consume" on all your cards.

I just won a run where I had that card for 4+ fights and did not get the flower.

In other news the cavern event where you pick up 1 energy/2 blights plus snecko gauge is absolutely ridiculous.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ThermosAquaticus posted:

I just won a run where I had that card for 4+ fights and did not get the flower.

In other news the cavern event where you pick up 1 energy/2 blights plus snecko gauge is absolutely ridiculous.

I believe Jedit is thinking of another event, one where you get to choose between three different purge cards. The gold-themed one doesn’t earn you the flower.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Lozareth posted:

If you play the daily today, don't forget it gives endless to morsels too like I did and prevents you from ever drawing anything useful. :cripes:

I purged all my morsels, still died at seraph. Absolute garbage daily mutators.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I believe Jedit is thinking of another event, one where you get to choose between three different purge cards. The gold-themed one doesn’t earn you the flower.

Yes, I'm thinking of the other Historian event. Sorry.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
To whomever recommended the sap totem: Thank you, just handily won a Covenant 12 run with it and double incant triggering. Who cares about damage output when you can just sap everything to do absolutely no damage?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just watched dolphinchemist go infinite on seraph thanks to the spell consume mod, the X+3 scroll, and two awoken railspikes with the remove consume mod.

The finisher:
https://clips.twitch.tv/HeadstrongSullenLasagnaNotLikeThis

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
With the forge unit getting the killing blow!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I fully admit I had to try the Seraph fight four times on this run, but I finally found a way to win the fight, get through C24, and get the gold border for the stupidly rare Bone Dog's Favor:

My greatest regret was never getting holdover for Intent on Death to just keep exploding those Extinguish 35 damage + Extinguish 50 damage super bombs (got the second part from the event where you leave a unit or a spell with the wingless dude for awhile) with the double extinguish artifact.

Edit: Also, Permafrost on Bone Dog's Favor is really good.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 16, 2020

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Finally won a run with Hellforged/Melting. I managed to get a trample tome as a rare umbra draft pick which basically won me the game along with the consume heals pyre artifact, I was down to 11 pyre health at one point.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Is there any discussion of mobile/Switch ports of this? Seems like it would play well on those platforms?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Still enjoying win streaking on Covenant 25 Random/Random, but I do wish certain things would get balanced a little better, especially extremely abusable easy wins like Stealth + Holdover. If I can completely invalidate the hardest difficulty level with 1 spell and 1 upgrade, there is a problem.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Marketing New Brain posted:

Still enjoying win streaking on Covenant 25 Random/Random.
:eyepop:

Edit: Are you doing this just to style on the people who say the game is too random/luck-based?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: Are you doing this just to style on the people who say the game is too random/luck-based?

If so, good.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I feel like Holdover should just shuffle it back into the deck rather than put it on top. I know Holdover is technically balanced by taking up a card draw and only activating if you actually play the card, but it feels like it's pretty easy to make that a non-issue.

Permafrost is similarly powerful but "keep it until you want to use it" feels less broken than "play it every loving turn"

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Color Printer posted:

I feel like Holdover should just shuffle it back into the deck rather than put it on top. I know Holdover is technically balanced by taking up a card draw and only activating if you actually play the card, but it feels like it's pretty easy to make that a non-issue.

Permafrost is similarly powerful but "keep it until you want to use it" feels less broken than "play it every loving turn"

...hey, shut up. *plays Stealth 4 Holdover*

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I meant I am enjoying attempting to win streak for fun, not that I endlessly win streak. I’m currently on a streak of 1 and my record is 3, because it is fairly easy to have a run derailed, especially certain combos on C25.

Good runs can easily get derailed by something as simple as not getting the ability to ascend/descend units, which is critical for the last boss on most runs because the ridiculous high hp pool means in most cases you need 4 or so minions on a super floor to deal enough damage.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Picked the game up last night, got a Awoken/Hellborne victory via spikes and then promptly got wrecked trying out Stygian/Awoken because I couldn't get my hand setup properly for Daedalus. Looking forward to putting a ton of time into this, definitely seems to have StS level potential if they keep iterating. What are the big flaws currently in the game and major exploits I should be aware of both to get super OP and where the enemy will crush my face (thinking trials here).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stacking one mega-floor via ascend and descend cards works out most of the time

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Sometimes the game just wants you to go nuts

monstertrain://runresult/0526e0c9-ae4a-4d49-bf4e-9c2815db59d3

10(!) blights in deck, 33x11 on Dante lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here’s a strategy question: when starting a new run, do you guys go for the artifact or the champion station first?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I do artifact first pretty much all the time

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Tilting after narrowly losing 3 runs in a row at covenant 24 against Seraph, with really solid builds each time (including one I really liked*) that didn't have many issues at all for most of the game then simply couldn't put out enough damage in the last room :argh:

* That artifact that gives you 4 on the middle floor, with 4 large-stoned, multistriking Nameless Sirens (+ rage on incant), all other units removed and a shitload of stings, draw and zero cost spells. My champion was inconsequential. I lost due to no AoE... would have been an easy win with the double incant artifact though. Other two were a fairly standard degenerate frostbite build, and a pretty fun big waxless build with loads of reform and a duplicated, holdover subsuming blade.

TaintedBalance posted:

Picked the game up last night, got a Awoken/Hellborne victory via spikes and then promptly got wrecked trying out Stygian/Awoken because I couldn't get my hand setup properly for Daedalus. Looking forward to putting a ton of time into this, definitely seems to have StS level potential if they keep iterating. What are the big flaws currently in the game and major exploits I should be aware of both to get super OP and where the enemy will crush my face (thinking trials here).

Similar to StS you get more aware of what the game could potentially throw at you so you can be better prepared for it. Some builds will always lose to some bosses though, like the 4 Nameless Siren one I mentioned bfore, was enitely based on the middle floor and I'd get wrecked by anything with haste. Enemies with sweep are probably the biggest run-killers for the unprepared, but not being able to kill rear units, and just too low stats in general will be the end of you a lot of times.

There are a lot of ways to exploit/break the game, probably too many to list, which is one thing that makes it a lot of fun imo. They almost always involve some kind of scaling, especially as you work your way up the covenant levels and pure stats won't cut it any more. Scaling is usually fairly straighfoward based on each tribe's gimmick. But as the difficulty ramps up I feel like the key is finding combos between your two tribes that compliment each other and working with that.

My favourite combo in this respect so far has been Umbra/Waxless, and it's probably the one I've been most succesful at cheesing higher covenants with. Umbra's morsels count as units for the purpose of any card that triggers off number of deaths. Waxless has a couple of solid number-of-death based damage cards that don't really scale fast enough to be useful in a predominantly Waxless build, however can be excellent in an Umbra build. There is also a card that gives you energy based on the number of units that have died which is insane with X cost cards, particularly the Shroud Spike, an Umbra card that triggers eaten and gorge effects 2X times. If you can pull it off you end up with units with 100+ damage shield or lifesteal or just absurd stats.

Edit: Oh yeah and Holdover. Holdover is broken and wonderful :allears:

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 17, 2020

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

TaintedBalance posted:

it definitely feels a lot more solvable and easy than slay. The depth isn't really there. i have had a hard time past 12 in slay for years and am rocketing through monster train with ease. once you've figured out which minions will carry you there's not really enough variation between runs to stop you from winning pretty much every game you pull certain cards or relics. in slay combos like corruption+dead branch or whatever feel very rare, in monster train it happens all the time.

with that being said the game is a hell of a lot of fun!

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Jay Rust posted:

Here’s a strategy question: when starting a new run, do you guys go for the artifact or the champion station first?

Artifact has much more variance, I always go there first.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Jesus, this is just as frustrating as StS in terms of being able to get to the final boss but things not quite coming together or you just get utterly hosed on draws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
is this animal cruelty? it would have killed seraph even if it was at max hp and i had no regen

e: in case you're wondering how i got them all into that floor, i had +1 space from a relic, played them all, and then shrunk the floor with engine upgrade so i could cast more copies of spreading spores