Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I'm actually fine with wearing a mask at all times in public and never going to a restaurant again but it's an interesting thought experiment.
I originally thought that this is what we would eventually arrive at in a world where multiple strains of covid-19 were circulating forever, but apparently not since we just don't care about people dying of it every day without end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I'm actually fine with wearing a mask at all times in public and never going to a restaurant again but it's an interesting thought experiment.

I would say no new cases for 3 weeks in that state, and/or a vaccine/reliable treatment.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

snoo posted:

i'm sure they'll make mask-wearing even more illegal after the orders are over
My doctor was utterly perplexed that I didn't want to go into her office for a blood pressure check.

But also I'm not paying for an office visit for a simple loving blood pressure check.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I would say no new cases for 3 weeks in that state, and/or a vaccine/reliable treatment.

yep. I am wearing a mask everywhere I go until we hit this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was thinking today what my criteria was for "it's ok to go to a bar" and "it's ok to not wear a mask in the grocery store" etc etc and I couldn't come up with a good metric. The best I could do is < 5% state positive test rate, 14 day running average state decline, state Rt < 1. That doesn't seem good enough but idk what's better.

What's y'alls?

There hasn't been a death in my province in 6 days. Still wearing a mask. I guess I'll stop when cases per month get close to zero both in my province and the adjacent areas. Once the canada/USplaguelands border opens up to tourists and cross-border shoppers everything is going to go to hell again.

2 years, maybe?

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Dreylad posted:

gently caress my dad had whooping cough when he was a kid and he's always had a lingering cough after getting a cold, and now that he got covid (in the hospital) i'm very worried.

it's been about a month though and his energy isn't too bad considering he broke his hip, and shattered his wrist and elbow so hopefully he had some luck finally

good luck and god speed to this goon dad.

my father will similarly be doomed when he inevitably gets this so I can sympathize some . May god have mercy on us all

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
i went to quote this and found a half finished reply to AoF that i apparently started writing half asleep lol

Went to check the Villages forums to see if they have any spicy updates. I didn't see any but I think we could use the same stickys here?

this reminds me of that time i opened up my local nextdoor and found a thread full of people complaining that people weren’t taking turns at a roundabout

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

my fav part of the official response was trying to blame China. like wtf do you expect China to do, take the virus back? pay us money we won't invest in healthcare?

i would like to return this. no i dont have a reciept. let me speak with your manager.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i would like to return this. no i dont have a reciept. let me speak with your manager.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
you guys stressing about wearing masks may want to factor in how many American deaths your not wearing a mask will result in and the net beneficial effect that will have on human civilization as a whole

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
number sure is pretty big today for being a weekend!

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Zyme posted:

you guys stressing about wearing masks may want to factor in how many American deaths your not wearing a mask will result in and the net beneficial effect that will have on human civilization as a whole

hello? QCS? I'd like to report a murderer

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

AceOfFlames posted:

To add to this, I'm sorry if this makes me look like a naive idiot, but it just boggles me how people have previously been so wrong or OUTRIGHT LIED about the masks. My problem with this is who the gently caress are we supposed to trust? I don't want to be one of those people who "follows their gut". My gut is non-existent. Authority is the only reference I have. Multiple sources are how I determine what is real. How the gently caress does anyone deal with this? How do you know what is real if you have multiple contradictory sources of information and everyone has an agenda? How do you LIVE? Going to war on false pretense is one thing but manipulating science? How do you stop yourself from turning into an equivalent of a flat earther?

Morbus posted:

1. Distinguish between the actual science and the policy synthesized from it. Try to read and understand primary sources wherever possible. Try to bear in mind the agendas, biases, and competing interests of institutions putting out public policy. There is a wealth of information on when and how surgical masks, or N95s, are effective or ineffective and how to use them properly. They obviously aren't useless or else they wouldn't be used by health professionals.

2. Try to let results & reality ground your thinking. Korea and Taiwan wear masks. China wears masks. Japan wears masks and did just about gently caress all else, and they're doing much better than anyone in the west despite having a famously hypergeriatric population. In uncertain situations, it makes more sense to simply copy working solutions, rather than try to nitpick why they are working, or debate over which aspects of a strategy are important/unimportant based on abstract arguments.

3. Consdier critically risks and benefits. What's the down-side of wearing a mask? It may make sense to not hoard N95s when there are shortages for professionals. But having a simple surigical mask is easy enough to do.

4. If the facts are uncertain in a dangerous situation, don't make decisions you don't have to. It's obvious that people are still getting sick from this. The case counts and # of infected are higher today than they were in March. Most of the population is still susceptible. If you have the ability to do so, just playing it as safe as possible is easier than trying to figure out who is right about what. Like, I'd bet eating takeout is pretty safe, but I don't truly know. It doens't matter, though, because I don't loving need to eat takeout and neither does anyone else, so I haven't. Would I like to? Yes. Is it worth getting viral pnuemonia over? Obviously not. Easy decision, no science required.

Great advice, thanks for posting it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Masks gently caress up the surveillance state and we've been given carte blanche to wear them under the guise of public health. Seize that opportunity and never let go.

drat this is my answer to mask complainers on facebook forever now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qYL_KT06-U

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Ended up saying F it and went to the gym tonight. I work in a call center with 800 people less than 1% of whom wear masks. Might as well kill some stress because I'm screwed either way. What kills me is we had the entirety of the site working from home until the head manager got pissy about attendance and yanked everyone back. This loving country man.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

shirunei posted:

Ended up saying F it and went to the gym tonight. I work in a call center with 800 people less than 1% of whom wear masks. Might as well kill some stress because I'm screwed either way. What kills me is we had the entirety of the site working from home until the head manager got pissy about attendance and yanked everyone back. This loving country man.

cant believe all those people made you, the asymptomatic super spreader powered by the elder gods of disease, go to the gym

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

shirunei posted:

the Gains Goblin..... is you

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

rode the bus by the park/lake today

lmao what is this the roni time convention. packed as gently caress. maybe 50% of people were wearing masks lol :rip: assmerica

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zyme posted:

*rich american failson travels to ur freedomless nation*

*spreads free roni for all to enjoy*

:smugdon:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Went to the grocery store in Ohio today, stark difference from 2 weeks ago. I and one other customer (~80 y/o lady) had masks, no employees did.

Just letting y'all know this COVID-19 thing is apparently done

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Giga Gaia posted:

cant believe all those people made you, the asymptomatic super spreader powered by the elder gods of disease, go to the gym

Anyone going to the gym this early is gonna get it no matter what because they are covid chasers, so what does it really matter

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

You should have to do 10 pistol squats and a planche push-up before you're allowed in a gym imho. If you can't you don't actually need the barbell that badly.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone going to the gym this early is gonna get it no matter what because they are covid chasers, so what does it really matter

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Philosopher King posted:

My in laws are dragging everyone to a theme park getting that half of them are high risk. How hosed are we gonna be going to Lego Land?? And what playset should I get to honor their memory?

Whatever you end up getting, I suggest buying the equivalent "Lepin" set from Aliexpress instead. Way cheaper!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Spoondick posted:

my niece was born 4 months premature after she nearly died during an in utero blood transfusion at ucsf and spend 3 months in nicu and i think the bill for that ended up being over 2 million

Most of the costs they show you on those end up being adjusted down to nothing fwiw

They exist to scare people into paying a dictated lower amount

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

I cast "brain fog" on America

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

My gym is going outdoor only and I am seriously considering not going back once I finish my course if personal training to make me strong enough to be functional.

I'm sorry but I just can't exercise at home. My house is now meant to be my office, entertainment center and gym. And because I recently moved, never had to do DIY stuff because my parents always did it for me and my place is smaller, I live in a hellscape full of boxes and floor planks. It's like being in house arrest in a slum.

EDIT: You Americans should also be grateful your houses are so big. Try quarantining in a 65 m2 apartment.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
All you're doing at a gym is wasting energy, I don't get it. Imagine being so conflicted about wanting to needlessly waste energy you're still debating on what to do during a global pandemic.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
all god's children sing for...

TOP 5 NEW CASES USA: FREAKIN' WEEKEND EDITION

1. California +3,135
2. Florida +2,625 *NEW RECORD*
3. Texas +2,262
4. Arizona +1,540
5. North Carolina +1,428

how much longer until the top 5 are all 2000 cases or more? a week?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If the world were a lego set, the year 2021 will be like the 2b2t minecraft server spawn area, which is a blown out crater for miles with every useful material pilfered far beyond that. Even out in the wilderness, fools with no masters will run around building dick shaped towers of dirt and vandalizing every former structure and setting evil traps for each other, because they have nothing better to do.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Ardennes posted:

the big issue is avoiding close proximity water droplets.
https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1271931358806528000
i'm sure it's fine

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

COVID-420 posted:

all god's children sing for...

2. Florida +2,625 *NEW RECORD*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7-4j_TMx8

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I only started going to the gym for the first time in my life in January this year. Now I'm supposed to do all this on my own without form check. And no I cannot watch a video because apparently I am so unused to moving my body properly that a big part of my PT's time is showing me "this is what keeping your back straight is"

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's cool that you're so eager to improve your health by going to a gym and giving yourself covid.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

mystes posted:

It's cool that you're so eager to improve your health by going to a gym and giving yourself covid.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mystes posted:

turning half of your lungs into potato hash is just incentive for the other half to work harder

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

My gym is going outdoor only and I am seriously considering not going back once I finish my course if personal training to make me strong enough to be functional.

I'm sorry but I just can't exercise at home. My house is now meant to be my office, entertainment center and gym. And because I recently moved, never had to do DIY stuff because my parents always did it for me and my place is smaller, I live in a hellscape full of boxes and floor planks. It's like being in house arrest in a slum.

EDIT: You Americans should also be grateful your houses are so big. Try quarantining in a 65 m2 apartment.

[jordan peterson voice]: clean your room

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Not to mention you only get so many heart beats and if you use them up by making your heart go fast you die sooner. Look at the guy who invented jogging, he was an extremely fit guy but one day his heart just booped out, he ran out of beats and that was that. Its why people who sleep a lot live so long, your heart rate crashes when you sleep to 1, maybe 2 beats a minute and so for those eight hours you maybe do the same number of beats you normally do in half a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The choices are either I exercise and risk getting Covid or don't exercise, get fatter and potentially die of COVID harder.

And again, I don't live in the US. I don't know if the Netherlands is being crazy because I have no WAY of knowing. I look outside and everyone is smiling, my coworkers are all so productive, everyone is on loving holiday and I am the guy who needs to "be more positive". I am losing my loving mind.