Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a2RlHCQY5U

This song, among many, many other things, is why I love Persona 4 more than pretty much any other Persona game short of Innocent Sin. Listening to this and looking at my lineup of bros and sisters as we prepared to charge in and rescue somebody always got me super pumped.

I can't wait to do it again.

2020 is shaping up to be quite the year for nostalgia. Inuyasha is getting a new anime and helping to bring in the children of old farts like me who watched it back in 2003. And Persona 4 Golden is coming to Steam, introducing a whole new generation to a game that changed many lives. I am not an old time P4 fan but I still understand and respect the emotional impact it had on so many as I felt the same when I finally played it.

We don't have to say goodbye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTbH43n77Q

Think I'm gonna gift this to my GF. It's her birthday this month. Such wondrous timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

you stole the exact song i was going to use that i remember loving to death, backside of the tv is so good, the whole atmospheric tone of p4 is just absolutely impeccable, i'm not sure any game will ever beat this soundtrack out

anyway here's another song that's a reason to just leave the game idling, goddamn gently caress yeah persona 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9CDfMhq6dM

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I wish I hadn't finished P4G a couple months ago, but I'm extremely glad I bought a Vita to do it, because that thing still loving owns rear end.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Shin Megami Tensei IV duology has it handily beat on pure atmosphere alone.

That said, they're going for different things and I LOVE the P4 Soundtrack.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dehry posted:

The Persona 4 Golden anime is an expansion pack of sorts. The first episode kinda establishes that the anime is a new game plus run, but then just jumps around to newly added events. The Christmas episode is quite entertaining since at that point in the game Marie had removed herself from the world and the OP changed to what it would have been if it were an episode of the original. I got to watch it on Crunchyroll but it's not worth $160.

How on earth does anime cost money?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

goblin week posted:

Blurays. Or imported bootleg VHS tapes for the real fans

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

goblin week posted:

one day theyre gonna do a blu-ray release of end of evangelion that will cost 100 dollars and im gonna buy it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The only thing I’m not looking forward to about the P4G port is the return of Naoto Discourse.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

The only thing I’m not looking forward to about the P4G port is the return of Naoto Discourse.

But is Kanji's dungeon about being gay or the societal stereotypes heaped upon young men who like "feminine" things?

I bet there's gonna be loads of Marie fans. I can't wait. Without the baggage from the original they're gonna be like me and appreciate her stylish clothes, her awesome voice and her awful poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHoMvZEHWJo

Possibly the best dungeon theme in any of the Persona games, even if the dungeon theme itself was godawful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, second thing I'm not looking forward to, hearing the first three bars of Heaven over and over again.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

people will go in hating marie because they've heard for years about she's bad

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Switching to Japanese vo finally legally

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

Why inflict japanese Rise and Teddie on yourself willingly? Do you hate yourself that much?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tae posted:

If the P3P port rumors turn out to be true, I’m really going to look forward to not needing to constantly bang on about the undub patch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

people will go in hating marie because they've heard for years about she's bad
they'll go in on it because shes a female character, mostly

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Marie is like a better version of Kyo Kusanagi, so she's good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

they'll go in on it because shes a female character, mostly

well yeah that too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Japanese Teddie is an atrocity and nothing you can say about the dub will outrank not having to listen to him

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Marie is like a better version of Kyo Kusanagi, so she's good.

The....king of fighters character....?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Imagine picking Rie Kugimiya's Rise voice over Laura motherfucking Bailey. Imagine choosing that for yourself.

I've heard Rie Kugimiya be good in plenty of things, P4 is not one of them.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

The....king of fighters character....?
:yeah:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Snapped up, runs well, so now it's time time to... well the first two hours with auto-advance on were spent effectively watching a high school anime's very long prologue. I think this is the farthest I've gotten in P4G.

ImpAtom posted:

Japanese Teddie is an atrocity and nothing you can say about the dub will outrank not having to listen to him

I don't like the redub of Chie and already miss the original voice actress. But are you telling me that if I swap to JP, Teddy's voice will instead make me kill myself to escape it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Andrigaar posted:

But are you telling me that if I swap to JP, Teddy's voice will instead make me kill myself to escape it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UfeCdfDcw

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Andrigaar posted:

I don't like the redub of Chie and already miss the original voice actress. But are you telling me that if I swap to JP, Teddy's voice will instead make me kill myself to escape it?

Yes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

Imagine picking Rie Kugimiya's Rise voice over Laura motherfucking Bailey. Imagine choosing that for yourself.

I've heard Rie Kugimiya be good in plenty of things, P4 is not one of them.

I've already heard the dub, and I got used to everyone's JP voices in PQ2 so I'm not going into any pain blind.

Someone got me into the Vtuber trap of hell, there is no voice that can hurt me anymore

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm a Rie Kugimiya fan and I cannot stand her voice as Rise. It is quite possibly her worse role ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Teddie sounds fine in Japanese? Certainly not bad enough to get all 'he'll make you want to kill yourself' hyperbolic anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he sounds like a whoopee cushion with strep throat

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
original chie va > p4g chie va

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The original Chie performance is bad, folks. It conflicts gratuitously with the character as written.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

The original Chie performance is bad, folks. It conflicts gratuitously with the character as written.

Ehhhhhhhhh....I don't agree. outside a couple dud line reads.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the best part about golden being on pc is now i get to pick a side in the great chie VA war

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In addition to sounding like she's about 40, Rooney sounds weirdly sedate? It's bizarre because Chie's a loving high-energy goof.

My point is, it fails to properly convey the character. It's bad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I didn't like Chie's new voice in P4G, but she was much better in Arena.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
friends, all chies are good

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly, I'm just waiting for music mods

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Outside of a couple bad lines early on, I like new Chie much more

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHoMvZEHWJo

Possibly the best dungeon theme in any of the Persona games, even if the dungeon theme itself was godawful.

i mean yeah that's a great rear end theme but marie is still a bolt-on subplot that the game is better paced without. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were optional but the game actively makes you feel weird and guilty for not finishing her link in time, and if this is your first playthrough that often means at the expense of better written links.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Don't they give an extra in-game month or two to balance that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’m gonna try to go in with fresh eyes and see how I feel about her with a few years distance since the last time I played P4.

Hearing all the music again gave me a huge gut punch of nostalgia. That alone was worth the $20.