Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

taqueso posted:

did he complete an architecture design/revamp?

"effective immediately" :thunk:

After looking through whatever xLake arcitecture is next:
Jim Keller: [holding vulnerability hole trap like a rat by the tail] We got it.
Intel CEO: What is it? Will there be any more of them?
Jim Keller: Sir, what you had there is what we refer to as a focused, non-terminal, repeating phantasm or a ring-zero full-roaming vapor. A real nasty one, too.
Dr. Peter Venkman : And now...
[Peter clears his throat]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... let's talk seriously. Now, for the discovery, we're gonna have to ask you...
[Egon holds up four fingers]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... for four big ones, Four thousand dollars for that. But we are having a special this week on vulnerability probing of the exploit...
[Egon holds up one finger]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... and that's only gonna come to one thousand dollars, fortunately.
Intel CEO : Five thousand dollars? I had no idea it'd be so much. I won't pay it.
<Jim Keller resigns>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Maybe AMD can hire him back at $outrageous but put him on video cards

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Fabulousity posted:

Jim Keller: Sir, what you had there is what we refer to as a focused, non-terminal, repeating phantasm or a ring-zero full-roaming vapor. A real nasty one, too.
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... let's talk seriously. Now, for the discovery, we're gonna have to ask you...
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... for four big ones, Four thousand dollars for that. But we are having a special this week on vulnerability probing of the exploit...
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... and that's only gonna come to one thousand dollars, fortunately.
Intel CEO : Five thousand dollars? I had no idea it'd be so much. I won't pay it.
<Jim Keller resigns>

loving lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

taqueso posted:

Maybe AMD can hire him back at $outrageous but put him on video cards

"Hey Jim, you like SIMD, right?"

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Intel: "Can you fix our 10 nm clusterfuck?"

Jim: "Sure, just give me a couple years and..."

Intel: "Can you fix it by September?"

Jim: "..."

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Fabulousity posted:

<Jim Keller resigns>

This made my day. :golfclap:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Since we're on the intergenerational cusp, waiting for Zen 3 CPUs to finally exist (and, very irritatingly, also still waiting for them to be formally announced), I wanted to do some benchmarking while I still have representatives of each of the first three generations on hand.

As all my machines run Linux, tools like Cinebench aren't available to me. Also, it's a single-task benchmark, which I don't really dig. I'm not a huge fan of synthetic benchmarks period, but we've gotta have something to try to represent the overall performance of a machine. I opted to go with the current release of Geekbench, v5.1. So here's how my Ryzens stacked up, at the specific settings that I use when they're running compute workloads 24/7:

code:
 1600 |  5486 multicore:  5278 int,  5935 fp | B450; stock
 2700 |  6727 multicore:  6533 int,  7378 fp | B450; clocks locked @ 3.2GHz
3900X | 11900 multicore: 11762 int, 13053 fp | X570; PPT limit @ 70W
My goal, as always, with clock and/or power limiting is to have the CPU run at full utilization while maintaining a target temperature range of 55-65C. Here's the full results if anyone is interested in specific tests, or single-core comparisons.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Zen 3s stack up. I'll be running this same test suite, as well as a battery of tests similar to what I ran when the 3900X was released.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

mdxi posted:

Since we're on the intergenerational cusp, waiting for Zen 3 CPUs to finally exist (and, very irritatingly, also still waiting for them to be formally announced), I wanted to do some benchmarking while I still have representatives of each of the first three generations on hand.

As all my machines run Linux, tools like Cinebench aren't available to me. Also, it's a single-task benchmark, which I don't really dig. I'm not a huge fan of synthetic benchmarks period, but we've gotta have something to try to represent the overall performance of a machine. I opted to go with the current release of Geekbench, v5.1. So here's how my Ryzens stacked up, at the specific settings that I use when they're running compute workloads 24/7:

code:
 1600 |  5486 multicore:  5278 int,  5935 fp | B450; stock
 2700 |  6727 multicore:  6533 int,  7378 fp | B450; clocks locked @ 3.2GHz
3900X | 11900 multicore: 11762 int, 13053 fp | X570; PPT limit @ 70W
My goal, as always, with clock and/or power limiting is to have the CPU run at full utilization while maintaining a target temperature range of 55-65C. Here's the full results if anyone is interested in specific tests, or single-core comparisons.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Zen 3s stack up. I'll be running this same test suite, as well as a battery of tests similar to what I ran when the 3900X was released.

Thank you for sharing. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Zen1 do so well, and think it doesn't get the credit it deserves for putting AMD back on the map. Though I don't have Geekbench numbers handy, running Cinebench R20 on my suite of boxes was illuminating in its own right:

code:
Cinebench R20 Results
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Core i9 7940x | 6915 CB | x299, stock, all-core turbo 3.80 GHz, quad-channel DDR4-3000
Ryzen 1700 | 3092 CB | B350, stock, all-core turbo 3.15 GHz, dual-channel DDR4-2400
Xeon E5-4640* | 1749 CB | "x79T" haunted Chinese motherboard, stock, all-core turbo 2.50 GHz, quad-channel DDR3-1600
Athlon 860K | 704 CB | 860G, stock, all-core turbo 4.0 GHz, dual-channel DDR3-1600
* Single CPU
Based on these numbers, a dual module/quad core 860K with an 850 MHz clock speed advantage is slightly slower than two Zen1 cores. The 1700 beating the crap out of Sandy Bridge EP was a bigger surprise for me; even adjusted for clocks, it walks away, and that difference was borne out in comparative Handbrake benchmarking with x264 too. I don't have an actual justification for upgrading to Zen 3, but will be watching for it regardless.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fabulousity posted:

<Jim Keller resigns>

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hasturtium posted:

Thank you for sharing. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Zen1 do so well, and think it doesn't get the credit it deserves for putting AMD back on the map.

I mean it's interesting but says more about the 3 different levels of power limiting mdxi is running than anything else.

The 2700 is running the worst version, a locked low clock and no voltage tweak is the worst way to optimize performance vs power you can get. That's why it barely outperforms the stock 1600 multicore despite 2 more cores: the single core performance is almost 10% down. Then the 3900X has a massive jump because PPT tweaks on Zen 2 are the best way to limit power.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

The 2700 is running the worst version, a locked low clock and no voltage tweak is the worst way to optimize performance vs power you can get. That's why it barely outperforms the stock 1600 multicore despite 2 more cores: the single core performance is almost 10% down. Then the 3900X has a massive jump because PPT tweaks on Zen 2 are the best way to limit power.

All this is very true. I was very bad at the whole underclocking/undervolting thing when Zen+ happened.

I learned a lot (and got better) when Zen2 happened, but PPT limiting obviated all that. It's easy mode for finding your power/heat/compute sweet spot, and I like it very much.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The Silicon Cowboy rides again. https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/changes-intels-technology-systems-architecture-client-group/

Quick, rehire him at AMD and put him on the GPUs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you read between the lines, I don’t think he’s going to be taking a big shot gig anytime soon. Sounds like a medical issue in the family. Sucks.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

have him be an individual contributor that works from home in their free time and it'll still be a huge win

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

e: nevermind

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cygni posted:

If you read between the lines, I don’t think he’s going to be taking a big shot gig anytime soon. Sounds like a medical issue in the family. Sucks.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jon Masters of Nuvia tweeted this and quickly deleted it, if Keller was gonna so somewhere that would be my guess.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So to get back to AMD, apparently the XT refresh will consist only of a 3600XT, 3800XT, and 3900XT... no 3700XT.

Looks like the XTs will slot into gaps in the current retail prices of ryzen models, so probably not much downward pressure on the 3600 or 3700X from that. Oh well, seems like bargain hunters for the higher core-count processors will need to wait for the Zen 3 launch.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I thought I've been spoiled on overbuilt machines from 2013 that had good SSDs for the time. Then I update the "TV" PC with a 3700x & a NVME drive because the old one is getting finicky in its old age.

:stare:

Modern tech is really sweet and wasn't even that expensive given how crazy good it is

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Looks like you can preorder B550 boards on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=b550+motherboard&N=100007625&name=AMD%20Motherboards

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Conspicuous absence of Gigabyte at the moment.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cygni posted:

Here's a nice conspiracy theory going around, that also rustles some feathers with certain people: Keller's wife is the sister of Jordan Peterson, who's currently not right in the head from trying to go cold-turkey on a benzo addiction via a Russian coma, or some such poo poo.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

You're loving with me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

You're loving with me

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2017/01/15/he-says-freedom-they-say-hate-the-pronoun-fight-is-back.html

quote:

It’s December, and Peterson and his wife have just returned from Palo Alto, Calif., where they visited his sister Bonnie, a nurse, and her husband, Jim Keller, an engineer who helped develop one of Apple’s iPhone chips.

The media frenzy hadn’t died down. While there, Peterson did a podcast with Joe Rogan, a U.S. comedian, actor and UFC announcer who has his own history of criticizing political correctness, according to Maxim magazine. Rogan, who used to host the television show Fear Factor, has millions of listeners.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's a nice conspiracy theory going around, that also rustles some feathers with certain people: Keller's wife is the sister of Jordan Peterson, who's currently not right in the head from trying to go cold-turkey on a benzo addiction via a Russian coma, or some such poo poo.

2020 Best and Final year by the looks of it now :gonk:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NewFatMike posted:

You're loving with me

Nyet.

https://newrepublic.com/article/156829/happened-jordan-peterson

TL;DR: Petersen didn't like the medical opinion that going cold turkey on benzos would gently caress him up because it would completely go against his fascist-ingrained philosophy of self-help, bootstrapping and mind-over-body, that he went to Russia to find someone who would tell him what he wanted to hear and word is he's a vegetable now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, so anyway, some people are speculating wildly that this were the medical emergency. I suppose Peterson is back home and/or worsened, or some such. Probably a whole lot of bullshit, but alas. Just the Internet.

--edit: Of course, if that were actually the reason, it'd be hilarious in some way.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 13, 2020

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
At the end of the day it’s Jim’s business. It sounds like he’s backing out with a six month transition where he’ll be conditionally available, so it’s not a departure on the worst terms, but I wouldn’t assume his work for Intel is taped out either.

He’ll go where he wants when he’s ready, and any place that takes him on will be glad for it.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

So to get back to AMD, apparently the XT refresh will consist only of a 3600XT, 3800XT, and 3900XT... no 3700XT.

Looks like the XTs will slot into gaps in the current retail prices of ryzen models, so probably not much downward pressure on the 3600 or 3700X from that. Oh well, seems like bargain hunters for the higher core-count processors will need to wait for the Zen 3 launch.

Glad I told a co-worker not to wait for the 3600XT.

e: oof

ConanTheLibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 13, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
edit: is that price for the XT actually correct? the article is speculating that it'll be cheaper

i was just on the verge of building a computer as i finally got my hands on a motherboard, theres no reason not to wait four days or whatever for the definitive prices, right

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anyone wants to sell me their lightly-used 3600 for a song because they're upgrading, hmu. XD

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Looks like 3600s are a week or two back-ordered most places, though the price has dropped to $167. I would have thought that the surge in people buying gear because of being stuck at home would have dropped by now. Has AMD talked about production shortfalls?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
upgrading a 3000 series to a 3000XT series is loving stupid just wait 6mo for zen 3 for a 10% isoclock perf boost. If it's still 7nm you'll also get the frequency improvements

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

v1ld posted:

Looks like 3600s are a week or two back-ordered most places, though the price has dropped to $167. I would have thought that the surge in people buying gear because of being stuck at home would have dropped by now. Has AMD talked about production shortfalls?

As of last week webcams were still completely sold out at my local microcenter. How much of that is China slowdown vs demand I don't know, but I don't think the demand surge is over yet, especially if a bunch of people decided a $30 price cut was enough of a difference to upgrade.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Some Goon posted:

As of last week webcams were still completely sold out at my local microcenter. How much of that is China slowdown vs demand I don't know, but I don't think the demand surge is over yet, especially if a bunch of people decided a $30 price cut was enough of a difference to upgrade.

Yeah, that's a good example and one I can particularly relate to. Didn't wake up to the need for a webcam until a few weeks in and have given up on getting one.

If it's just demand there will probably be no effect on the next gen of both processors and gpus, otherwise it's going to get interesting if we have a supply shortfall for current and for future parts. In fact

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Anyone wants to sell me their lightly-used 3600 for a song because they're upgrading, hmu. XD

Hi, want to buy a heavily used, constantly OCed, 7+ year old 3770k for a very cacophonous price?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Some Goon posted:

It's shipping. Tech Jesus has a couple videos on how industry contacts can't get supply because it's sitting on the docks because there has been little to no air shipping because of human malware, and what little air or sea shipping there IS, is being prioritized for PPE.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm reaching month 3 on two fans. Tracking still has them as handed over to air freight in China, same as in March.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
From what I've heard, and I'll check in on it again tomorrow, there really isn't a problem with shipping capacity, and air freight is a bit constrained but certainly not problematic for higher-margin products. The volume that PPE consumes is minimal, and there are a LOT of people back to work. The problem is more that at certain ports in China, bribery demands have become exorbitant. Normally this disruption of order would probably result in a good old fashioned black vanning, but right now the CCP rather likes making things uncomfortable for foreigners, even at their own expense. Western media coverage of coronavirus handed them a PR victory on a platter right when they were looking for an excuse to ramp up control, so they're implementing a lot more of their plans from last year. People are having some long-term concerns that China may be attempting to use the current situation to mitigate and absorb blame for some of the future economic problems they're facing.

e - it's also worth noting that a lot of computer products are consumed in small enough volumes and shipped by sea in such a way that the disruption of supply chains will affect them for a much longer period than things produced and consumed at a higher rate.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 14, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm glad the timing worked out so that I ordered all my parts for my current computer in April, and stuff arrived just fine. I also managed to grab a monitor in stock and got it shipped just fine. The only headache with shipping I had recently was Best Buy being dumb and bad about a videocard, and my order from NewEgg for a similar card worked out just fine.

I just received a wireless adapter from NewEgg that was a bit delayed by the postal service, and then delivered to the wrong house, but the neighbor brought it to me so it all worked out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

I'm reaching month 3 on two fans. Tracking still has them as handed over to air freight in China, same as in March.

Lest you think me unsympathetic, I have been waiting on some loving microswitches with which I intend to capital-F FIX my various Logitech mice. For good.

I don't believe that tracking information for even a moment, btw. I figure I'll ACTUALLY get my stuff sometime in July.