Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Marzzle posted:

finally, an excuse to openly practice classism in my social life

at least it's not anyone I know well or really ever spend time with, but it was still surreal to read three people talking about this seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:d2a:

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Bip Roberts posted:

wait are some of you dudes not going outside at all?

i only go out for groceries yeah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Virus Will Win

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

:nws:https://twitter.com/salobonavia/status/1271952440745697281

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I was going to say, I've been hitting the grocery store every week and half or so since March, and mask adherence has generally been real good! All store employees wear them, they installed plastic shields at the checkstand to protect the clerks, and they sanitize the carts between use. Most patrons are wearing masks and generally it's been alright.

Except, I just did my trip for this week, and I don't know if it's the Saturday night clientele or what, but this time only myself and an Asian family were wearing masks, aside from the store staff. Everyone else just didn't give a gently caress, and someone was even sporting a Maga "Make them crazy again Trump 2020" hat, which is an extremely rare sight as everyone here is secretly racist, rather than openly racist.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Marzzle posted:

finally, an excuse to openly practice classism in my social life

I'm actively avoiding seeing my family, after visiting my mom once/week during the lockdown, explicitly because I know I'm now a huge potential vector because I have to work at the restaurant

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I go outside for walks during weekdays midday wearing a kn95 and out for runs at around midnight with no mask. I've had enough time to decide that outdoor risk is minimal if I just veer away from the occasional person. You're not at risk if you just cross through someone's slipstream.

Going to the grocery store is way riskier. Fortunately I got in on a local farmer coop delivery service before they closed up subscriptions in February.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

4 times a day to walk the dog, a few times a week for a 5 mile jogwalkrun, and a grocery run once a month. Mask on 100% outside the apartment, going out of my way to keep that 6’ distance from the douchebags who won’t. Other than that, its full on quarantine baby. Been doing this since early March.

it loving sucks rear end I can’t tell you how much I want to grab some margs and tacos with my bros on a patio. And there were so many good bands in town I was stoked about this summer too all cancelled, and of course a cancelled family vacation.

If all these assholes had been wearing their goddamn fucken masks and practicing social distancing which is like the bare minimum we would have been nearly done with this poo poo by now BUT NO MUH FREEDOM JUST THE FLU BRO I DONT LIKE WEARING MASK

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BONGHITZ posted:

its totally possible we could all have sex after this whole thing is over, please dont give up

volcel supremacy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

going on walks and poo poo is perfectly fine. as much as possible, avoid going anywhere indoors where people congregate. leave that to us "essential workers"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BONGHITZ posted:

its totally possible we could all have sex after this whole thing is over, please dont give up

lol that reminds me of how the matches for online dating dramatically improved during late March and early April and has declined since then back to the usual paltry choices

even in 2020 most people are still obsessed with bars and clubs as a way of meeting people when that's one of the very worst possible ways of filtering people you're a good match with

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

going on walks and poo poo is perfectly fine. as much as possible, avoid going anywhere indoors where people congregate. leave that to us "essential workers"

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Rah! posted:

putting the hospital in southern hospitality :vince:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im glad you guys are at home while im posting from the office haha gently caress lol gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

even in 2020 most people are still obsessed with bars and clubs as a way of meeting people when that's one of the very worst possible ways of filtering people you're a good match with

the filter is 'are u single and/or relatively attractive' which is probably about as much as one can do online either

honestly if i didn't get my S/O while in college i would probably be single, 10 years later, still.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

this is my neighborhood:

https://twitter.com/RoadProgramming/status/1271819375264268288

i'm hosed lmao hope it's fake

sup

not my exp don't even recognize the crossstreets

fake queens news

e: unless its like on Steinway maybe?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

AceOfFlames posted:

EDIT: You Americans should also be grateful your houses are so big. Try quarantining in a 65 m2 apartment.

Dude I'm doing this with two kids and it ain't so bad. Good thing one's obsessed with minecraft and the other's obsessed with breath of the wild tho.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Dude I'm doing this with two kids and it ain't so bad. Good thing one's obsessed with minecraft and the other's obsessed with breath of the wild tho.

i miss your candy :sigh:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I bought the lemon ones once, still have the jar somewhere

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

my workout has been drinking a shitton of whiskey and beer, and let me tell you, it absolutely whips the llama’s rear end

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

yes?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No, I don't go outside, for example. Yes, there are people that practically do not go outside at all, because they do not have private yards. The outbreak is absolutely serious enough to lock yourself inside, that's what lockdown is.

I haven't gone outside my apartment but once a month for groceries. I wear an n95 and duck away from people aggressively, I don't give a gently caress how antisocial it looks to do that when no one else is. It's life or death. When I take the garbage down or say hi to anyone out the window, I've got an n95 on. I live in an airtight seal. There is no room for error. We all hopefully saw that photo of a 20 year old's lung post-covid. Considering the science isn't even remotely sure of the permanent effects, and can't get its messaging right about anything, that's why I have zero risk tolerance.

However careless the public is being, that's how much more you should compensate by being even more risk averse than if this were Wuhan.
If the public here is acting dumber than Wuhan's public was, then logically you should be taking even fewer risks than if you found yourself outside in Wuhan back in February.

this is the correct answer. my convenience isn't worth the health of those around me, and I can live my life without going outside for absolute necessities which can all be gotten from one, maybe two locations total

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
incredible thread title

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

hundreds of posts today, roni thread is good again (aouuuu)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

a_pineapple posted:

4 times a day to walk the dog, a few times a week for a 5 mile jogwalkrun, and a grocery run once a month.

How can you get groceries once A MONTH? What do you EAT? Do you just avoid any sort of fresh produce?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I was thinking today what my criteria was for "it's ok to go to a bar" and "it's ok to not wear a mask in the grocery store" etc etc and I couldn't come up with a good metric. The best I could do is < 5% state positive test rate, 14 day running average state decline, state Rt < 1. That doesn't seem good enough but idk what's better.

What's y'alls?

widely available affordable treatment or vaccine

Morbus
May 18, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

How can you get groceries once A MONTH? What do you EAT? Do you just avoid any sort of fresh produce?

AceOfFlames continuing to be utterly bewildered at things which people have been doing for 100,000 years.

HOW DO I RUN??? HOW DO I COOK AND EAT FOOD??? WHERE DO I PUT IT AND HOW CAN IT POSSIBLY BE STORED FOR PERIODS OF TIME???????

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

You can freeze a huge variety of produce

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

We had two promising lyme vaccine candidates and they never fully made it to market because of side effect rumors from antivax people looking to sue

Now we have people in southern New England begging vet practices to give them the dog version because it's so common and dangerous here

Why Your Dog Can Get Vaccinated Against Lyme Disease And You Can't

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

shovelbum posted:

You can freeze a huge variety of produce

My freezer is the size of a shoebox. That's apparently the only kind they put here for apartments with less than 3 bedrooms.

I'm sorry that I keep nitpicking. I am just trying to find advice that's applicable to my situation and Google translate has failed me in trying to search in Dutch websites. Moral of the story: never leave your country.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

The first two weeks are filled with fresh fruit and veg, lots of salads, tacos, wraps and stuff like that that needs fresh produce. The following two weeks are more pantry meals, making use of frozen veg and hearty produce. Pizza, rice and beans, tempeh quinoa bowls, slaws, burritos, homemade veg burgers, tofu stir fry, pasta sauces, all kinds of stuff.

Hearty produce like kale, broccoli, Brussels, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, onions, etc can last a lot longer than you’d think. Good quality cheeses and cured meats can last a month or more. Eggs too.

Also been baking everything from scratch using my sourdough starter instead of yeast cos I ran out last month. Bread loaves, buns, pizza dough, muffins, tortillas, pasta, pancakes, cookies, pretty much anything.

I’m probably eating healthier than I have in quite a while. Cooking owns try it sometime scrub.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rah! posted:

lol

chuds are extremely sick in the brain

and lungs

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
i kept a bok choy alive for 2 months between fridge and a thing of water. bok choy ftw imo

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

a_pineapple posted:

The first two weeks are filled with fresh fruit and veg, lots of salads, tacos, wraps and stuff like that that needs fresh produce. The following two weeks are more pantry meals, making use of frozen veg and hearty produce. Pizza, rice and beans, tempeh quinoa bowls, slaws, burritos, homemade veg burgers, tofu stir fry, pasta sauces, all kinds of stuff.

Hearty produce like kale, broccoli, Brussels, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, onions, etc can last a lot longer than you’d think. Good quality cheeses and cured meats can last a month or more. Eggs too.

Also been baking everything from scratch using my sourdough starter instead of yeast cos I ran out last month. Bread loaves, buns, pizza dough, muffins, tortillas, pasta, pancakes, cookies, pretty much anything.

I’m probably eating healthier than I have in quite a while. Cooking owns try it sometime scrub.

Got any recipes?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

AceOfFlames posted:

No need for all the histrionics ITT, you're in a pandemic and desperate measures are called for. Suck it up.

That out of the way, you can make the once a month work with practice. You learn what produce lasts longer. For greens, a giant napa cabbage lasts over a month even without refrigeration, or with if there's room. Cherries last much longer than strawberries. Sliced bread can be frozen right in the bag, and thaws out anytime in perfect condition. Pack your freezer full of meat and thaw out one or two each day. Buy basic ingredients like potatoes, rice, and flour. Buy baking essentials that lots of recipes call for, like starch, oil, and baking powder and spices. Look up recipes. Cook.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Giga Gaia posted:

i kept a bok choy alive for 2 months between fridge and a thing of water. bok choy ftw imo

Ours keeps going bad. My wife buys it, I wash it or quarantine it, then we keep it in the plastic bag in the produce drawer. Not getting great results that way -- after just a few weeks it goes soft or worse. What are you doing with yours?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

did n95 masks ever get in ordinary stock again? like not kn95, actual america n95?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I kept a half of a regular green cabbage for two months and then made emergency kimchi with it

look up how to properly store certain vegetables, I can make celery and spring onions last way longer with a damp paper towel, a little foil to hold it in place, and plastic wrap. or just freeze stuff, and use it for soups or stews or whatever. I have a small freezer but it's full of meat and vegetables and random stuff, and I don't eat as much meat as I used to. I bought a big box of soy curls and we've been enjoying those with tortillas instead of meat.

and I've been growing lettuce and herbs in my aerogarden and have a bunch of lettuce and spinach on the balcony, tho I need to start some more soon

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ours keeps going bad. My wife buys it, I wash it or quarantine it, then we keep it in the plastic bag in the produce drawer. Not getting great results that way -- after just a few weeks it goes soft or worse. What are you doing with yours?

man i got no idea, my choy plant actually sprouted flowers and became more of a curiosity over food before i pushed its limits. really cold crisper? luck? i had a red lettuce go for 40 days somehow. the outer leaves got wilty, but the inner leaves were fine. i only seem to lose peppers. my celery goes limp but its still fine for the freezer or stock pot.

the cspam gardening thread has some posts about revitalizing produce if you're interested; radish and carrot greens are nice to have around.

snoo edit: green onions are great. ive got like 6 left over roots growing fresh greens in an old jam jar on my bookshelf. oh and i never store produce in the bags and take off all the elastics.

Giga Gaia has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

snoo posted:

I kept a half of a regular green cabbage for two months and then made emergency kimchi with it

look up how to properly store certain vegetables, I can make celery and spring onions last way longer with a damp paper towel, a little foil to hold it in place, and plastic wrap. or just freeze stuff, and use it for soups or stews or whatever. I have a small freezer but it's full of meat and vegetables and random stuff, and I don't eat as much meat as I used to. I bought a big box of soy curls and we've been enjoying those with tortillas instead of meat.

and I've been growing lettuce and herbs in my aerogarden and have a bunch of lettuce and spinach on the balcony, tho I need to start some more soon

How much time do you spend per day cooking and taking care of this stuff? Just curious.