Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

site posted:

night dive loves the n64

I like to think we're remastering a Dreamcast game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Just finished the Gloomwood demo. It is very very promising. It has the snappyness of Dusk and the stealth mechanics seemed honed really nicely. If they can keep up this level design for the whole game they are really onto something.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fallom posted:

Remaster MDK cowards

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Night Dive's next Kex Engine release is Shadow Man, which is certainly a deep cut.

wasn't Shadow Man one of those Akklaim games that had an incredibly stupid marketing campaign behind it? I think it was something like "name your child "Shadow Man" and get a free copy"?

e: after looking it up, i'm slightly mistaken. It was the sequel that had the dumb marketing campaign, and it was to put ads for the game on gravestones.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Checking out the In Sound Mind demo. I usually ignore spook-em-ups that aren't done by Frictional, but the trailer advertised it as being by the guys who made Underhell, that survival horror but with FEAR gunplay HL2 mod so I figure I'll give it a look.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 14, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

This was supposed to get shown at the PC Gamer show today and they forgot to show the trailer.
The devs dealt with this (and the inevitable backlash from it being played as a post-credits "surprise") pretty well!

https://twitter.com/Shrinekeeper_/status/1271940271736074246
https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1271890735088848896
https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1271903868050440194
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1271948787729043456

Rocket Pan posted:

Per a recent Retro Gamer interview with various former devs, Shadowman's lead platform was PC. The Dreamcast version was literally just the PC code shoved into a Dreamcast devkit with PC-centric bits chopped off until it compiled. But you'd probably know more about the code at this point :v: (By the developers' admission, the PS1 version was a wreck - it was put together very late by the publisher's request, and the team had basically no experience with the system. Apparently it only had like 90-ish sound effects compared to the 600 or so of the other versions!)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rocket Pan posted:

ngl i didnt even know it had come out for any other system

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

Per a recent Retro Gamer interview with various former devs, Shadowman's lead platform was PC. The Dreamcast version was literally just the PC code shoved into a Dreamcast devkit with PC-centric bits chopped off until it compiled. But you'd probably know more about the code at this point :v: (By the developers' admission, the PS1 version was a wreck - it was put together very late by the publisher's request, and the team had basically no experience with the system. Apparently it only had like 90-ish sound effects compared to the 600 or so of the other versions!)

Actually it's worse than that in our case, the PS1 source code was the only thing to remain. Archives of the other versions, including PC and Dreamcast, seemed to have been burned at some point. We've had to disassemble the PC version using the PS1's source code and hoo boy, a wreck was an understatement. It seemed clear they had to cut back so much just to get the game to fit, even without the disassembly we've found all sorts of code commented out and replaced with vastly more basic versions.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Rocket Pan posted:

Actually it's worse than that in our case, the PS1 source code was the only thing to remain. Archives of the other versions, including PC and Dreamcast, seemed to have been burned at some point. We've had to disassemble the PC version using the PS1's source code and hoo boy, a wreck was an understatement. It seemed clear they had to cut back so much just to get the game to fit, even without the disassembly we've found all sorts of code commented out and replaced with vastly more basic versions.

What about the PC version on GOG currently? And there was an N64 version, I know I used to have that cart

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, also: In case you missed it, the Switch port of Dusk is finally hauling itself off of those meathooks and venturing out into the cold light of day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9NqWy5xRQ

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

weed cat posted:

What about the PC version on GOG currently? And there was an N64 version, I know I used to have that cart

The GOG version is the same as the Steam version, as far as our understanding. But we are very sure either way that only the PS1 source code remained. We double checked, we really wanted the PC code.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
I reinstalled the first Ubersoldier. Man, it's not great! I'll try to grab some screenshots. The gameplay is pretty janky but the graphics make it kinda fun. The best part is the atrocious voice acting. As I said earlier, do not install this on Windows 7 and newer, and maybe not even Vista... the StarForce DRM can break a Windows install. Turns out the Linux guys were right. So I'm not advocating :filez: but... if you already own a retail copy like I do...

Rocket Pan posted:

The GOG version is the same as the Steam version, as far as our understanding. But we are very sure either way that only the PS1 source code remained. We double checked, we really wanted the PC code.

Dang!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

weed cat posted:

Don't need the source code to just put a game on a storefront with maybe a voodoo wrapper and some small compatibility flags.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rocket Pan posted:

Honestly seems to me you'd be better off just starting from scratch rather than use a really poo poo port as your base

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly seems to me you'd be better off just starting from scratch rather than use a really poo poo port as your base

I mean, we did. As I explained before we simply just ended up using the PS1 code as a disassembly base for the PC code.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Super looking forward to ShadowMan, I had the n64 version back in the day and while most of the environments got kinda samey, they did a good job (to a teenager) of making the serial killers background freaky. Going through the New York level was pretty intense back then.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
duke nukem forever turned nine years old three days ago

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For whatever reason I always forget that Shadowman was on PS1 and PC. I just always have it in my head as N64 & DC only.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

For whatever reason I always forget that Shadowman was on PS1 and PC. I just always have it in my head as N64 & DC only.
The N64 port was certainly the most heavily promoted, since Acclaim were big on that platform after Turok. And apparently the PS1 port didn't sell as well as the N64 one, which isn't a sentence that's written very often at all.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

ETPC posted:

Doom 3 is approaching sixteen this summer

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Oh my god the Doom reboot turned four last month

https://i.imgur.com/waeUxFl.mp4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

The N64 port was certainly the most heavily promoted, since Acclaim were big on that platform after Turok. And apparently the PS1 port didn't sell as well as the N64 one, which isn't a sentence that's written very often at all.

Makes sense. I think my local Civic Video only stocked the N64 port, too.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ETPC posted:

The game felt like its own community HD asset upgrade when it was brand new. DNF is hard to interpret as anything but a reconstituted cross-section of FPS gaming from 1997 to 2009; this far out, it’s a museum piece or a coelacanth with dick jokes.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i paid $120 CDN for the CE on day one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got mine for $0 from a disgruntled purchaser on Day 3? 4?

I didnt even finish it, the second trip to Titty City destroyed my will to play FPS games for a while

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I payed $3 for DNF and that was $20 too much.

Just finished the Gloomwood demo. Absolutely loved it. Glad to see someone aside from ARkane keeping the immersive sim alive.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lemon-Lime posted:

You forgot the best part, the official site: http://www.thiefswithguns.com/

Okay, which one of you put this site up?
The actual site is thiefwithguns.com, the link goes to a text site someone put up telling PCGamer to check their print copy better

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ETPC posted:

i paid $120 CDN for the CE on day one

I paid about 90€ for mine. It came before it unlocked on Steam and even didn't have to work on launch. :unsmith:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Pyrolocutus posted:

Super looking forward to ShadowMan, I had the n64 version back in the day and while most of the environments got kinda samey, they did a good job (to a teenager) of making the serial killers background freaky. Going through the New York level was pretty intense back then.

It's a fine game but the atmosphere is what makes it. There are images and moments that stick with me to this day, like first entering the asylum through the vents and finding the first orderly beating a pile of gore with his meat hooks, or that one creepy serial killer fight. The reduced resolution of the N64 even improved the atmosphere in that VHS sort of way. I played the PC version shortly after and the cleaner, more readable visuals deflated the tension a bit. Dusk-like visual options is something I'd really like to see in a remaster.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Deus Ex turns 20 on wednesday.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Time, what is time? (Blind Guardian song folks)

I'd just like to say it, once more for old time's sake: Always bet on Duke.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/MickeyWilsonSFX/status/1272310718361153547

:lol:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Guess who's back

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/duke-nukem-gearbox-software-sues-3d-realms/

quote:

Randy Pitchford, CEO of Gearbox, told Digital Trends his studio was forced to file the action after 3D Realms denied Prince’s claims and rejected an indemnification request that would absolve Gearbox of all financial responsibility of the claims. He added that while he believes Prince’s claim to be valid, a court needs to be the final arbiter of that claim.

“We’re literally in the middle – either Bobby is right and deserves to be paid, in which case 3D Realms is wrong … or 3D Realms is right and Bobby’s wrong,” he says. “And we don’t know. So, we need to bring a judge in and have a look at things from both sides.”

The Gearbox complaint is seeking full recovery of any judgment awarded to Prince, along with attorneys’ fees and pre- and “post-judgment interest at the maximum lawful rate from the date of judgment until paid.” Neither Pitchford nor the filing put a dollar amount on those filings.

“Nothing about Duke Nukem is about profit at this point. It’s about goodwill,” says Pitchford.

So it's nothing to do with Gearbox, but they want the money if Prince wins? also lmao at that quote

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Heavy Metal posted:

Time, what is time? (Blind Guardian song folks)

I'd just like to say it, once more for old time's sake: Always bet on Duke.

Psst, betcha a dollar Duke can't make it five minutes without saying some sexist grandpa poo poo

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Convex posted:

Guess who's back

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/duke-nukem-gearbox-software-sues-3d-realms/

So it's nothing to do with Gearbox, but they want the money if Prince wins? also lmao at that quote

Bobby Prince is suing Gearbox for publishing a game with his music in it for which the license was not transferred appropriately from 3D Realms, so Gearbox is suing 3D Realms over not disclosing that fact during the IP acquisition to cover their asses and minimize financial impact. It's buried in legalese but it all makes sense, and despite Pitchford being a shitlord it looks like 3DR screwed up several times over so Gearbox want guarantees that there are no more ticking timebombs in their assets going forward.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Look, I'd be over Shadow Man remastered in a second, but important question: Will the controls be any better on controller? Because they might as well not have been an option in the current Steam release.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grimthwacker posted:

Look, I'd be over Shadow Man remastered in a second, but important question: Will the controls be any better on controller? Because they might as well not have been an option in the current Steam release.
The current Steam release is the original PC port from back in the bad old days of DirectInput, and they're planning on releasing this thing on consoles, so I'd say better gamepad controls are pretty likely.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the Duke legal stuff, well, it's pretty standard stuff. I hope Bobby gets the money, and at least Lee Jackson got hired again for that World Tour a few years back. Randy is a nutter as they say. And Lee Jackson wrote the theme song, so that can't be taken off the table at least.

Chunderbucket posted:

Psst, betcha a dollar Duke can't make it five minutes without saying some sexist grandpa poo poo

If you've read every page of this thread, as every good gamer should, you'd know it's been discussed at length many times. Isn't it boring to troll on some poor old video game character? ALWAYS bet on Duke. I've considered all the options, I have morals, I give a drat, and I have deduced that Duke is a drat fine character. It's 24/7 bet on Duke, and if you don't like it, well that's your right and privilege as a citizen. But I do bet on Duke.

And you can paypal me that dollar, since Duke has only said one or two jokes that landed very poorly (and a lot of them were written by women in DNF - which means they don't count as sexist quite possibly via the Geneva convention). And yes we know about that one bad joke in DNF about the alien impregnation, it was bad, I agree.

I like how oddly enough Duke, to me, has aged very well. I love Bill & Ted (can't wait for 3), and of course people do bring up how they used to say the F-word. Since it was thrown about more in those days etc. Duke never said it though, and in general he didn't really even go homophobic etc, nor racist (compare to many action heroes of 80s movies etc). And for women, he was always just horny, he wasn't sexist. He didn't say anything hateful, he was just into what he was into, and happened to run into a lot of strippers and hookers! So, you're gonna have to file your dollar under the "Duke has demonstrably gone well over 5 minutes" without saying something sexist clause.

We can't have hedonistic horny ego protagonists, what kind of word of fiction would that be. Let there be one of those once in a while, and a serial killer with a heart of gold, and a noble werewolf detective (addicted to heroin), let's do it all.

Don't act like I'm a maniac here, if you do I'll make a post over 5 times longer in honor of Duke Nukem 5 which will happen one day. DUKE. Just feels good to say.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New Blood single-handedly reviving Stephan Weyte's career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Heavy Metal posted:

On the Duke legal stuff, well, it's pretty standard stuff. I hope Bobby gets the money, and at least Lee Jackson got hired again for that World Tour a few years back. Randy is a nutter as they say. And Lee Jackson wrote the theme song, so that can't be taken off the table at least.

If you've read every page of this thread, as every good gamer should, you'd know it's been discussed at length many times. Isn't it boring to troll on some poor old video game character? ALWAYS bet on Duke. I've considered all the options, I have morals, I give a drat, and I have deduced that Duke is a drat fine character. It's 24/7 bet on Duke, and if you don't like it, well that's your right and privilege as a citizen. But I do bet on Duke.

And you can paypal me that dollar, since Duke has only said one or two jokes that landed very poorly (and a lot of them were written by women in DNF - which means they don't count as sexist quite possibly via the Geneva convention). And yes we know about that one bad joke in DNF about the alien impregnation, it was bad, I agree.

I like how oddly enough Duke, to me, has aged very well. I love Bill & Ted (can't wait for 3), and of course people do bring up how they used to say the F-word. Since it was thrown about more in those days etc. Duke never said it though, and in general he didn't really even go homophobic etc, nor racist (compare to many action heroes of 80s movies etc). And for women, he was always just horny, he wasn't sexist. He didn't say anything hateful, he was just into what he was into, and happened to run into a lot of strippers and hookers! So, you're gonna have to file your dollar under the "Duke has demonstrably gone well over 5 minutes" without saying something sexist clause.

We can't have hedonistic horny ego protagonists, what kind of word of fiction would that be. Let there be one of those once in a while, and a serial killer with a heart of gold, and a noble werewolf detective (addicted to heroin), let's do it all.

Don't act like I'm a maniac here, if you do I'll make a post over 5 times longer in honor of Duke Nukem 5 which will happen one day. DUKE. Just feels good to say.

Dukes rock.