Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Got any recipes?

Not really except for baking. I think about meals I’ve had at restaurants and try to recreate them. I literally google for recipes from the spammy recipe websites and tweak them until they work for me.

Fortunately there’s hella time for recipe tweaking these days. I spend probably a couple hours a day cooking and eating and sometimes all day on the weekends. Cooking is dope.

a_pineapple has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

How much time do you spend per day cooking and taking care of this stuff? Just curious.

fwiw my sleep is hosed and i don't eat 3 meals a day, usually just one main meal and snacks or something throughout the day, and it depends on if I'm cooking one meal to split or two separate meals.

we have a lot of pre-packaged shelf stable stuff for my wife to cook since she isn't very kitchen-savvy, but even that stuff doesn't take very long. 15-20 min for packaged pasta dishes or something. we have bread for sandwiches. canned tuna. soy curls. lunchmeat. easy stuff to prepare and shove in your face.

we make pizza dough or flatbread from scratch and I stock up on packaged cheeses and cured meats

I made chicken thighs in the oven and rice on the stove yesterday and it was mostly hands-off, took a little over half an hour. ate it with kimchi I made a couple weeks ago

i made smashed burgers last week and it takes about fifteen minutes to season meat, toast buns, get the cast iron ripping hot and cook burgers, plus tossing some frozen fries in the oven bc I can't get fresh potatoes easily

oven roasted vegetables, fresh or frozen, are very hands off, just season with oil, salt, pepper (I use msg too) and roast at 450°F, and flip once or twice until they're at your desired doneness. I make them with chicken thighs a lot, cook them both at the same time, same temp.

it's important to season stuff to your preferences. including prepackaged poo poo.

the biggest thing though is that I enjoy cooking, it's fun for me, and I have years of "experience". I rarely use recipes unless it's something new, baking, or like a sauce that requires precise measurements to be the right consistency. I don't need a recipe for a bechamel sauce bc I know the ratio by heart, but for a general tsos sauce I still refer to one since I have to make substitutions. I make things I like to eat.

but that requires knowing cooking basics in the first place and applying them to what you're making. I am trying to teach my wife how to cook stuff other than scrambled eggs and ramen, and I guess it's easy to forget how tough it can be starting out. she doesn't have any knife skills, wouldn't know how to cook meat, and would probably prefer eating pizza and hot dogs all the time.

but if I get sick or die I need her to be able to care for herself, and for me if needed, so we gotta do it

idk what the grocery situation is like in the netherlands to be fair, obviously american stores have a lot of prepackaged poo poo and it's nice to have that around when you don't /really/ feel like cooking.

as for being satiated, :shrug:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

AceOfFlames posted:

I probably should have clarified: here in the Netherlands the health authorities swore up and down that masks were unnecessary and to this day they are only mandatory on public transportation and even then washable ones are enough. They still discourage people to buy them because "healthcare professionals need those masks". Now there are a lot more but the fact remains that they LIED and not a single apology. This is PSYCHOTIC. If I cannot trust authority, who can I trust? And for gently caress'S SAKE, don't say "my fists".

ur fists

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i only eat frozen trader joes pizza, my bones are honeycombs

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

man i got no idea, my choy plant actually sprouted flowers and became more of a curiosity over food before i pushed its limits. really cold crisper? luck? i had a red lettuce go for 40 days somehow. the outer leaves got wilty, but the inner leaves were fine. i only seem to lose peppers. my celery goes limp but its still fine for the freezer or stock pot.

the cspam gardening thread has some posts about revitalizing produce if you're interested; radish and carrot greens are nice to have around.

snoo edit: green onions are great. ive got like 6 left over roots growing fresh greens in an old jam jar on my bookshelf. oh and i never store produce in the bags and take off all the elastics.

yeah I regrew a bunch of my spring onions!! I put a celery rear end in some dirt to see if it'll do anything. I'll have to try with carrots and stuff too.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

cool effort post, wish I was asleep

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

snoo posted:

as for being satiated, :shrug:

great post, better ending

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AceOfFlames posted:

If I cannot trust authority, who can I trust?

I'm with you on this and very sympathetic.

but also lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hardon Crime posted:

great post, better ending

:same:

cooking isn't hard, it's just easy to be lazy and not want to cook in a busy rear end life. but at the same time, like it's a basic human skill that you need to survive on some level (how do I take ingredients and turn them into food I actually want to consume). I don't really get how people don't want to acquire that skill, especially given a likely future of decreased 100% food availability from climate change

I also totally understand not always having energy to want to put in the effort to cook, but that's the magic of making extras for leftovers and buying the type of convenience products snoo mentioned so that you have a few easy choices to go along with all the good, healthy, long lasting staples you should always be stocked with and able to throw a satisfying meal together from

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what were the doomsday predictions from just going full 'herd immunity' approach again? like i seem to recall dire warnings about total collapse of the healthcare system, what else was there?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

:same:

cooking isn't hard, it's just easy to be lazy and not want to cook in a busy rear end life. but at the same time, like it's a basic human skill that you need to survive on some level (how do I take ingredients and turn them into food I actually want to consume). I don't really get how people don't want to acquire that skill, especially given a likely future of decreased 100% food availability from climate change

I also totally understand not always having energy to want to put in the effort to cook, but that's the magic of making extras for leftovers and buying the type of convenience products snoo mentioned so that you have a few easy choices to go along with all the good, healthy, long lasting staples you should always be stocked with and able to throw a satisfying meal together from

I want to acquire that skill. It's just that somehow a lot of people seem to know recipes that are just "throw this stuff in the pan" but no one posts them online since it's redundant. My mom stayed home full time so she would always do very elaborate dishes and passed almost none of them to me, instead just sending me assorted tips like "eat more eggs!" and half hartedly sending a recipe or two when I ask.

I do agree that food will become scarce. So why does every recipe require 10 ingredients and even ones with less requiring dirtying so many dishes? I admit. I am dumb when it comes to food. Please explain the exact amount of stuff I can stir fry for 5 minutes and get all the nutrients I need to stay healthy.

Literally the only book I have found that helps in that regard is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Terrible-Misha-Fletcher-ebook/dp/B078KCBNVM

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 07:56 on Jun 14, 2020

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what were the doomsday predictions from just going full 'herd immunity' approach again? like i seem to recall dire warnings about total collapse of the healthcare system, what else was there?

We'll have too many masks because everyone is immune.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

2 million corpses in the US

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

It's just that somehow a lot of people seem to know recipes that are just "throw this stuff in the pan" but no one posts them online since it's redundant.

the reason is that those "recipes" aren't really recipes, it's just using general cooking experience to make things that go together

I would imagine most people cooking without recipes aren't often writing down the amounts and ratios when they do, they just make stuff that tastes good to them or their family

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Cooking is easy. You just do whatever and then you eat it and tell yourself it was fine. Eventually you get better at lying and it's no problem.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0013GH9AO

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Cooking is easy. You just do whatever and then you eat it and tell yourself it was fine. Eventually you get better at lying and it's no problem.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

I want to acquire that skill. It's just that somehow a lot of people seem to know recipes that are just "throw this stuff in the pan" but no one posts them online since it's redundant. My mom stayed home full time so she would always do very elaborate dishes and passed almost none of them to me, instead just sending me assorted tips like "eat more eggs!" and half hartedly sending a recipe or two when I ask.

I do agree that food will become scarce. So why does every recipe require 10 ingredients and even ones with less requiring dirtying so many dishes? I admit. I am dumb when it comes to food. Please explain the exact amount of stuff I can stir fry for 5 minutes and get all the nutrients I need to stay healthy.

Literally the only book I have found that helps is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Terrible-Misha-Fletcher-ebook/dp/B078KCBNVM

thing is dude, no one acquires any skill by dumb luck. you acquire a skill through learning theory, practice, and repetition - all those together, for anything you need to learn. what tastes do you like from dishes you've had before? okay, why do you like them - the interplay of flavours? the texture? we don't know your tastes, so there's no simple magic make awesome food trick. doesn't work that way. like anything, you start basic, and you work your way up.

pick a dish. any dish. you like mac and cheese? okay cool, start to examine that dish. what goes into it? what ingredients are common in recipies? look up a few, see the common stuff. what is different though? okay, what role do the differing elements play in the dish? are they a thickening agent to provide it the gooey texture associated with mac and cheese? are they a different type of core component like noodle or cheese? if so, how do those core components change the flavour? what flavours do I like/want in the dish? are there spices? what are the spices supposed to add?

just ask questions. ask questions of everything you do. we are blessed to live in an era with the fuckin internet, in our pockets at all times. where at any moment you can have the answer to a question. you just need to ask em.

i hate washing dishes and focus on specializing in one pot dishes since i'm a lazy bastard at heart. but sometimes dishes that take hours to cook only last ~30 minutes of actual involvement beyond the occasional stir. once you start to think through the process of what you're making, it becomes a lot simpler over time. it's daunting to start, but just pick a dish you want to learn to make - it can be a lazy five ingredient one pot thing, who gives a gently caress. but then learn to make it, learn why it works as a dish how you've made it, and start to expand from there thinking through the same knowledge you've learned.

learn to learn, and it'll make literally everything in your life easier

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

there are people like my wife that see eating as a chore or at least not enjoyable and therefore don't see the point in cooking from scratch if it's just calories to power your flesh prison

whereas I'm a fat sack of poo poo that loves food and finds cooking fun

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How to cook;

Start with oil or butter in a pan. Slowly add things in the rough order of what fries slowest. When in doubt do onions first. Add tofu or meat or whatever. Try some vegetables. Eventually you'll have basically a slurry that isn't quite frying because it has too much water in it. Just keep cooking it until you get bored or till the water is gone and it's mushy enough. You can add water if it's not mushy. Add an egg and mix it in and throw some salsa and salt on it. Last step is to wrap the whole mess in a burrito shell.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Morbus posted:

AceOfFlames continuing to be utterly bewildered at things which people have been doing for 100,000 years.

HOW DO I RUN??? HOW DO I COOK AND EAT FOOD??? WHERE DO I PUT IT AND HOW CAN IT POSSIBLY BE STORED FOR PERIODS OF TIME???????

to be fair, existence is bewildering

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

btw there's a cooking forum on this web site. it's not as busy as this hellscape but there's shitloads of good info there

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

what I'm saying is make a chickencheese or salsachicken

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

How can you get groceries once A MONTH? What do you EAT? Do you just avoid any sort of fresh produce?

What the hell is this

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

me: I'm not gonna earnestly engage I'm not gonna I'm not

also me: *earnestly engages*

augias
Apr 7, 2009

COVID-19 posted:

What the hell is this

A valid question. Fresh greens last about a week until they start rotting. Aguacate goes after a week too if tou them firm. i dont get your point either

augias
Apr 7, 2009

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it's called being in the middle of a pandemic and realizing you can't do the same poo poo you used to unless you wanna put yourself and others at risk

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

was I supposed to be eating vegetables for the past several months?

poo poo

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ahh I'm in a pandemic I better be buying fresh low calorie lettuce that rots if you look at it wrong instead of vegetables that last longer

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

snoo posted:

it's called being in the middle of a pandemic and realizing you can't do the same poo poo you used to unless you wanna put yourself and others at risk

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

im cool with frozen broccoli and green beans

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

like what the gently caress it isn't a hard concept

yes your life is different right now, it is a loving PANDEMIC. deal with it.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

snoo posted:

Oh woops i forgot abt the pandemic and thought the question was in general.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

btw feel free to shop more than once a month. go hog wild, I don't think it's an extreme risk to go more frequently.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Frozen veggies, dried fruit, canned veggies and lentis, and then gorge on berries like a bear when you finally re-up.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Solarin posted:

btw feel free to shop more than once a month. go hog wild, I don't think it's an extreme risk to go more frequently.

I don't begrudge anyone who goes out once every 10-14 days as that is still reasonable, but it really isn't hard to plan a bit more and tack on another week past that. Given it's lives your dealing with, it's worth it IMO.

Salt Fish posted:

Frozen veggies, dried fruit, canned veggies and lentis, and then gorge on berries like a bear when you finally re-up.

canned veggies motherfucking suck, stick with frozen for anything you need long long term

gorging on berries is 100% fact though on any re-up, those first few days are a glorious fruit sugar coma

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

augias posted:

Oh woops i forgot abt the pandemic and thought the question was in general.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sorry any excuse to post that cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

snoo posted:

the reason is that those "recipes" aren't really recipes, it's just using general cooking experience to make things that go together

I would imagine most people cooking without recipes aren't often writing down the amounts and ratios when they do, they just make stuff that tastes good to them or their family

well I have OCD so everything I cook goes in a text file. If it's a process, I write down the whole process, then a separate section for things to try next time, then next time I cook it I go down the list of steps and turn those lessons into bonifide steps of the recipe. I refine ingredient portions, I write down stuff that was annoying (don't put this tool away yet, you'll need it again in 3 steps), etc. until it becomes a brainless process where I can feel safe not reading ahead to the next step at any point. "Pour in .5cups of sour cream" is a lot nicer to read within one step than "Pour in the sour cream" and then having to scroll all the way up to the ingredients list to see the measurement.

Here are some of the shorter recipes I see in my recipes.txt file offhand

quote:

Peanut butter cookies (Gluten free)
Prepare these ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or not)
.75 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp vanilla
Procedure:
In auto mixer, add 1 egg first in case a shell piece needs to be extracted along the bottom.
Dip out 1cup peanut butter using a tablespoon that you'll keep using later. Eyeball the measurement by holding a measuring cup nearby for reference, so as to not make a mess in the cup.
Pour in .75cup sugar, 1tsp baking powder, .5tsp vanilla.
Mix on medium slow, using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and whisk.
Preheat oven to 350.
Get out rubber sheet and huge baking pan to fit all 10 expanding cookies.
Scoop out using a tablespoon and rubber spatula in TBSP increments on sheet.
Pick one up at a time and form them into balls with one hand.
Press balls with fork to form crisscross. Bake on middle tray for 14 minutes.
Move to a wire rack to cool evenly for 10 minutes.
Refrigerate in a quart ziploc bag, optionally with a shredded small piece of bread for freshness.
Can be stretched for about a month if you break off pieces sparingly.
(These cookies kick rear end)

quote:

Baked potatoes
Find these:
2 potatoes
2 tbs sour cream
.25 stick butter
Preheat oven to 425.
Microwave potatoes on plate arranged in a straight line, for 6 minutes.
Place potatoes in oven for exactly 20 min.
Test potatoes with fork and remove. Slice each open and press ends together to crush them open.
Immediately use a tablespoon to add .25 stick butter butter to each begin softening it, then 2 tbs sour cream.
(This is how I remember the fry cooks at Ponderosa making them)

quote:

Baked taco cups
Get out ingredients:
~7 tortillas
Frozen ground beef ball (golf ball size), optional
Cheddar block
Jar of japanelo slices
Small can of salsa
Cream cheese (better if available: Feta)
Salt, pepper, chipotle spice
Seperate and thaw tortillas if necessary.
Preheat oven to 500f.
Microwave-defrost the meat ball on a plate, if using meat.
Crush it up partway through and season with salt, pepper, chipotle spice to taste.
Either defrost it more until cooked, or transfer to a small skillet and fry till cooked.
Grease up a cupcake pan, as many sections as needed.
Crush the tortillas into the cups, letting one part of the tortilla turn inward to form a heart shape.
Place in oven around 8 minutes.
Distribute ground beef into tacos, then shred some cheddar on top.
Put in oven another 2-3 minutes until cheddar melts and taco edges barely start to burn.
Remove from oven and turn off. Distribute 1tsp salsa per taco.
Spoon 3 little pieces of cream cheese / feta around the edges.
Press a couple small jalapeno slices onto the cream cheese pieces.
Serve with tequila and lime juice.

(This was just mimicking a friend's facebook photo of food once, but I made up these steps and tried them and it worked)