Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://twitter.com/robertshrimsley/status/1271920972812161029?s=20

lol he's a former prosecutor

e: 85 BC, Gaius Julius Caesar dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Filboid Studge posted:

Borrovan, you’ve got some connections with the IWW in Wales haven’t you?
Yep. Where abouts are you based?

e: actually that's a bit of a personal question, I'll PM you in a bit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobstar posted:

Wow, it's only been 3 years since Grenfell? The amount of It that's happened since then is causing the intervening time to bulge at the seams, and seem much longer, to me at least :(

E: and that's not counting the 9-15 months (est) since lockdown started

To me Grenfell feels like only last year. The only reason I know it's not is because it happened just after May crushed the saboteurs

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobstar posted:

Wow, it's only been 3 years since Grenfell? The amount of It that's happened since then is causing the intervening time to bulge at the seams, and seem much longer, to me at least :(

E: and that's not counting the 9-15 months (est) since lockdown started

Time ceased to exist in about 2015.

E: sorry, I know the exact day time ceased to exist, it's the day Trump's victory was announced. Everything since then has simultaneously been an utterly exhausting rush over the course of about a week, and taken infinite interminable millennia.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 14, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
From the text of the bill that was posted itt the other day it sounded like creeping fascism. Wasn't it worded in such a vague way as to leave almost anybody open to prosecution for doing anything within sight of a memorial, and also classified any memorial to any person affected by war as a "war memorial"?
Criminialise everybody, and then apply the law selectively to undesirables.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

thespaceinvader posted:

Time ceased to exist in about 2015.

Things have been getting progressively weirder ever since David Bowie died

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Can't wait for them to realise that to enforce their evil terf rules they're going to have to have someone at every single loo in the country inspecting everyone's chromosomes before entry
I know nobody writing this policy gives a poo poo about trans men, but what does this policy mean for trans men?

Because if they're now going to have to, or be allowed to, use the same facilities as cis women, then that implies that you're going to need to have some sort of trans man pass.

And if you have that, then this hypothetical 'fake trans' predator that started this whole thing has a lot more access to women's facilities, because instead of having to fake wearing a dress and a wig and shaving and feminizing their voice and whatever else the terves think cis men are doing to get into bathrooms, they'll just need a fake trans man pass. Which sounds like it's making the scenario that prompted this law more likely to happen.

This whole thing seems very poorly thought through.

communism bitch posted:

One of the strategies of totalitarian regimes is to have legal regulations (criminal laws) so severe that, if taken literally, everyone is guilty of something. But then their full enforcement is withdrawn. In this way, the regime can appear merciful: ‘You see, if we wanted, we could have all of you arrested and condemned, but do not be afraid, we are lenient …’

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Anybody who wants to inspect my dick and balls in the toilets is free to do so. don't care what gender identity or sexual orientation you profess. Just come and get some, the more the merrier.

e: rear end too

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

One of the strategies of totalitarian regimes is to have legal regulations (criminal laws) so severe that, if taken literally, everyone is guilty of something. But then their full enforcement is withdrawn. In this way, the regime can appear merciful: ‘You see, if we wanted, we could have all of you arrested and condemned, but do not be afraid, we are lenient …’

The funny thing is that this is in no way limited to totalitarian regimes. The exact same method is very commonly used at places like schools, universities ...

hmm wait. poo poo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I know nobody writing this policy gives a poo poo about trans men, but what does this policy mean for trans men?

Because if they're now going to have to, or be allowed to, use the same facilities as cis women, then that implies that you're going to need to have some sort of trans man pass.

And if you have that, then this hypothetical 'fake trans' predator that started this whole thing has a lot more access to women's facilities, because instead of having to fake wearing a dress and a wig and shaving and feminizing their voice and whatever else the terves think cis men are doing to get into bathrooms, they'll just need a fake trans man pass. Which sounds like it's making the scenario that prompted this law more likely to happen.

This whole thing seems very poorly thought through.

My relation is a trans man. Looks like a man even down to identically the same 'male pattern baldness' of his father. If he went into a women's restroom they would be calling the cops on him, or at the very least a janitor would be harassing him with a mop to get out.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

communism bitch posted:

From the text of the bill that was posted itt the other day it sounded like creeping fascism. Wasn't it worded in such a vague way as to leave almost anybody open to prosecution for doing anything within sight of a memorial, and also classified any memorial to any person affected by war as a "war memorial"?

Better than that, it classified a representation of a person affected by conflict in any way as a war memorial. It would be illegal to give the finger to a papier-mâché bust of Hitler, or, excellently, Martin McGuinness

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 14, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My relation is a trans man. Looks like a man even down to identically the same 'male pattern baldness' of his father. If he went into a women's restroom they would be calling the cops on him, or at the very least a janitor would be harassing him with a mop to get out.
Yeah, and nobody in legislation seems to want to engage with this in good faith, so you get a bunch of BS about 'male anatomy' to try and ignore it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1271896865139822592?s=20

So apparently this dude is only 28. Why do the fash always look like they're either 13 or pushing 50?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lager makes people dumpy and irritable.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
My partner went from two days ago vaguely entertaining the idea of me going for a few months but firmly "I'm not leaving the UK" and thinking this is just me being me and hyper aware of danger to "gently caress, Izzy, let's go". Germany or France, Irish passport with me as the spouse. Feels lovely and non solidaric and privileged but I transitioned to make the back half of my life better than the first half

And gently caress Boris especially if he's stoking this fire to try and triangulate in the North. Brexit was clearly the experiment and this is the next stage if so. gently caress him if he's stupid enough to think he can use hate for his own ends. You can't : hate uses you, to get legitimacy, to give power to people who go on to reproduce unspeakable evil and once it's out the box it's very very hard to get back in. This is a dangerous loving path he's taking this country down and the fash in the street is evidence of that.

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 14, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

communism bitch posted:

So apparently this dude is only 28. Why do the fash always look like they're either 13 or pushing 50?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jedit posted:

This is something the Tories are doing that the SNP want to do. They'll toe the Westminster line even where they don't have to, and when people protest they'll blame the English.

Nah, this is something that some of the SNP really want to do and that some of the SNP would really like to not do, and the leadership is so unable to make a stand on anything that they will do the bare minimum vague compromise to keep both sides only vaguely disgruntled. It's one of the few intra-party squabbles that has managed to break through the normally strict closed ranks of party discipline, so there's clearly some heated arguments going on somewhere. Not that that's really a better situation but it doesn't help to oversimplify the exact form the shitness takes.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
lol
https://twitter.com/arubiodenniss/status/1272101255284998148

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DCKennard/status/1272122327782821888?s=20

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This should never be posted without the other half of it:

quote:

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”

Otherwise you do run this risk of basically accusing all people who are not classically beautiful of being evil, or assuming that all pretty people are not evil.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Are people finally coming around to the idea they are loving imbeciles for voting for this prick?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just have everyone spend 10 years in prison at some random point in their life, that way nobody 'gets away with it', whatever it may be.

thespaceinvader posted:

quote:

There's a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity, maybe it's a kind of lack of generosity towards non-Jews. I mean there is always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn't just pick on them for no reason.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/whyohwhyfather/status/1272107118942924804

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Otherwise you do run this risk of basically accusing all people who are not classically beautiful of being evil, or assuming that all pretty people are not evil.

There was a tweet a while ago that put Miriam Margolyes (79) alongside Katie Hopkins (45) which summed this up perfectly. If you'd prefer a criticism that doesn't get into sexism, Piers Corbyn who while not outright fash certainly is very happy to swim in the same waters as them, is only 2 years older than Jeremy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like hopkins may be a result of the ketamine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like hopkins may be a result of the ketamine.

That's actually prescribed for her epilepsy though, and I can't help but think the "she's a druggy" story is deliberately pushed a) to give her a "so much for the tolerant left!" out when people take the piss out of a medication for a serious medical condition, and b) to obscure the real reason she was arrested and deported from South Africa (which is when the ketamine story first came out) which was for spreading racial hatred/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I only did ketamine once and it was crazy. How much do you think she takes?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it makes me physically sick whenever i've taken it. it tastes SO bad when it drips down the back of your throat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's actually prescribed for her epilepsy though
It's very far from a first-line therapy for that though, so do you think it's a case of it failed to respond to anything else, or a case of paying for some Harley Street croaker to give her the horse drugs that she'd gladly have any of the proles thrown in prison for?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

feel better by the day about my promise to myself to never voter for this party again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Long shot hits target.

You could probably find one of these for any given year and tie it to any given set of events, but his theory seems to have this poo poo getting worse for about 15 years across the US and Western Europe before improvement happens, based on the idea that we now have near-incapable states, unless some kind of major reform happens.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

thespaceinvader posted:

It still sucks. It just tells less attractive people that we won't think them evil if they smile a lot.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

It's very far from a first-line therapy for that though, so do you think it's a case of it failed to respond to anything else, or a case of paying for some Harley Street croaker to give her the horse drugs that she'd gladly have any of the proles thrown in prison for?

yeah I would be extremely surprised if she was being prescribed ketamine for epilepsy. Extremely.

I thought it turned out she wasn't on it anyway though?

It's a fun drug and the anxiolytic/anti-depressive effect can be pretty astonishing but you gotta be in the right set and setting. And as Jose says, it tastes revolting

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Looking for some cat advice goons. I have five myself and this has me quite confused.

My mum's indoor cat got out yesterday when she opened the door (she's not very mobile since the broken foot plus arthritis and parkinsons) it chased another much smaller cat over the garden fence.

Didn't come back til later that night. When my mum heard it making noises near a cardboard box she left out front. She opened the door and let it in, towelled it off removed a twig from its tail, all good so far.

Then the cat hisses at her leaps from the floor onto her face and has a good go of trying to claw her eyes out. She wasn't touching the cat at the time. She's got a punctured eyelid and scratches all over her face. Cats been hiding on and off and any attempt to touch it is causing growling and hissing but keeps moving to sit near my mum who is basically freaking out in terror.

Nothing obvious wrong with the cat, no blood, no limping or external injuries. She's always been a sweetheart but now is essentially acting like a traumatised or wounded animal.

My mum is hiding at the other end of the house cursing herself for being frail and I'm at a loss short of calling a vet to see if they can think of something.

If it were one of my cats I'd isolate them with litter and food and check in on them after a while after making sure with a physical that there were no obvious injuries. But my mum is too afraid to even get close.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Obviously try and check for actual injuries like you say. If it's an indoor cat it's probably just freaked the gently caress out at being in and around all these other scary cats.

It might just need some quiet time to feel safe.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Pet island would probably be able to help better, but-

-its probably a stress reaction from a disturbed animal with a brain the size of a walnut, with any luck given some time things will settle down

-make sure any wounds are fully cleaned and kept track of, infected facial wounds are potentially very, very nasty

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it could just be shock at radical change of environment and it's now in a very bad mood. I would avoid initiating contact but if she's up to it let the cat spend time around her to reacclimate to its surroundings, and its routine.

E: also yes make sure your mum's injuries are clean because cat injuries are unpleasant at the best of times.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

It still sucks. It just tells less attractive people that we won't think them evil if they smile a lot.

It sucks LESS.

The quote in general is a bit iffy. It's nice for us to be able to say they're ugly because they're evil, but between maligning all the non-evil not-conventionally-attractive people, and ignoring all the evil attractive people, it's just a bad quote, not to mention Dahl himself being a not great person.

Guavanaut posted:

Long shot hits target.

You could probably find one of these for any given year and tie it to any given set of events, but his theory seems to have this poo poo getting worse for about 15 years across the US and Western Europe before improvement happens, based on the idea that we now have near-incapable states, unless some kind of major reform happens.

It's not a theory until it's proved, and even then, it probably wasn't a theory, at least in the scientific sense.

I've been saying for most of the last half-decade that I don't think the situation in the USA can ever get any better without a full scale armed revolution on the part of the oppressed majority there.

We'll see if that bears out, I guess.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'd be interested to see a vox pop asking people on the street if they actually know who kier starmer is

i imagine it'll be a resounding no, or something to do with the construction firm

But of course, he is the best leader for labour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fragmentation along state lines seems more likely than popular revolution I would think.