Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there an extremely disappointed smiley face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

... do you call the Sony Play Station home computer system the Play Station 1?

yes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I call it the psx because I read a lot of gamefaqs back in the day

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm not going to read the Dan Simmons Hyperion.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 13, 2020

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
dan simmons is one of the worst because he loads his books full of asinine literary 'allusion', like the robot in the illium books who drives a spaceship called the dark lady and quotes shakespeare all the time, and hes just so clearly trying so hard to look Literary but it just ends up like cargo-cult intellectualism

also he really hates muslims

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

I was trying to find this information but couldn’t— how do they get their ebooks? The about pages on IA suggest people are scanning and uploading them individually? Because if that’s the case, then that’s not at all how libraries get their ebooks and publishers certainly would be mad that IA isn’t paying $80 for a license to circulate a single copy of Stephen King’s ‘Graveyard Shift’ ten times before the license expires and they have to buy another one.

(To be clear: I’m not on the publishers side in this, if for no other reason than the current state of ebook licensing is an unsustainable and immoral scam)

This is a genuine question though: I couldn’t find the information about how IA gets its non-public domain books

The books aren't really scanned by random people, they're digitised by archive staff at scanning centres and this is funded in part by libraries and foundations. There's an explanation of how it works here: https://archive.org/scanning It is possible for users to upload things to the archive as well but that's not the source of most of the books.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Oh, the Hölderlin! Enjoy and let us know what you thought when you’re done

I would also like to know about the Hölderlin book.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I made a thread for Internet Archive/general publishing discussion: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927696

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Safety Biscuits posted:

I made a thread for Internet Archive/general publishing discussion: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927696

awesome great i love the idea of a dedicated thread where the sci-fi writer in the star wars thread who's afraid that libraries will deprive him of health care can argue head-on with adult human beings who use the IA for research purposes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I've sort of already burned myself out on the topic in this thread so someone copy all my posts and post them in that thread thanks

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna submit this thread to the Internet Archive

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've sort of already burned myself out on the topic in this thread so someone copy all my posts and post them in that thread thanks
i can't wait to decide which one i want

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Mel Mudkiper has set himsself to "No contact".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I dont have plat and also wtf

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

Mel Mudkiper has set himsself to "No contact".

you are being super weird across several threads and you should stop

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I like getting PMs :3

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So I have felt like learning about Demons and I bought a book that depicts the Infernal Hierarchy of Demons as depicted In the Infernal Dictionary and it owns

But, I noticed that the book came with an introduction by "Diablito Ordo Al Ghoul" and looking at that name I knew I was in for some good poo poo

Sure enough, he has a bunch of magical grimoires for sale on Amazon and they own so hard I am gonna buy one

truly powerful magicks must be contained within

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

See if you can conjure me up my bike that got stolen a couple months ago TIA

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

How is it that we get a dumb parody victorian parlour novel about dragons but no one has made a farce based on the WB Yeats and Aleister Crowley wizard fight

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How is it that we get a dumb parody victorian parlour novel about dragons but no one has made a farce based on the WB Yeats and Aleister Crowley wizard fight

Gaiman kinda riffs on it in the first couple volumes of Sandman but it isn't played for laughs.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gaiman kinda riffs on it in the first couple volumes of Sandman but it isn't played for laughs.

Thats the point

Yeats kicked Crowley down a flight of stairs after Crowley came at him in a Scottish Tartan chanting and drawing pentagrams in the air and how the gently caress is something that hilarious not more widely known about

We always hear about Crowley the evil wizard but never crowley the chubby dork who liked to dress up like an egyptian and once got into a years long wizard battle involving summoning demons to get people to stop making fun of him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This is, without hyperbole, one of the funniest paragraphs ever written

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I didn't realize Yeats was a Muscle Wizard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am no joke gonna commission a photo of Yeats kicking Crowley down a flight of stairs from one of my artist friends and post it here

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

an effective banishing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am no joke gonna commission a photo of Yeats kicking Crowley down a flight of stairs from one of my artist friends and post it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl2TFmjdCo4

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lmfao

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

To a magician, even kicking someone down the stairs is a magical act.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 19, 2020

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
its so good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What book is this from? This is amazing.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Grenrow posted:

What book is this from? This is amazing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...6-VjpNNjR5AlKBL

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I love Crowley so much. just a big weirdo who got tons of money from inbred rich dilettantes for being strange and theatric

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'm starting to see a pattern here

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I went to an OTO Crowley meeting one time, to watch a baptism. They are a little too nerdy for me. There was this really old couple, and the lady had her top off and this wizard looking man was doing things to her with a cardboard sword. I wanted to walk out because it went on way too long.
Id like to look at the Book of Thoth someday though. Im reading a tarot book by Jordorowsky.

*edited because i cant type on a phone and it was unreadable

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 22, 2020

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Oh No Ross and Carrie episodes about OTO are great listens and match that description perfectly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Is there a longer and more in depth book on all this that could be a good BOTM?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a longer and more in depth book on all this that could be a good BOTM?

babyfucker

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Where is a good spot to make a thread. I want to do my book report on Infinite Jest somewhere. Im afraid of spoilers so to choose between TBB which is awesome or the blog place that might be too obscure. Could I write obessively about the book without the goonsquad letting me know it's secrets before I make the discovery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

excellent bird guy posted:

Where is a good spot to make a thread. I want to do my book report on Infinite Jest somewhere. Im afraid of spoilers so to choose between TBB which is awesome or the blog place that might be too obscure. Could I write obessively about the book without the goonsquad letting me know it's secrets before I make the discovery?

I mean, it sounds like you want to do a let's read. If you want to do it as "hey guys who havent read it, lets read it and do this many pages a week and then talk about it" it might work.

I think the big challenge you are going to face is getting people interested in your thread if you are limiting what they can engage with to just your present experience which seems to be how you are describing it.