Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Remember when Chuck Wendig said that the "Bring Back Legends" people were racist because they weren't sending money to support Syrian refugees? I still haven't gotten a response from him on how much he personally has donated to Syrian refugees.

General Battuta posted:

It's called 'The Traitor Baru Cormorant' but it's pretty heavy, kind of a sad book. If you're not in the mood for that.

I have a science fiction book coming out sometime next year assuming the entire process doesn't melt down. Been waiting for months to get my advance on that, it's stuck in the gears somewhere.

Whoa, that's you!? That's crazy... didn't expect that. Definitely looking forward to your story even more now.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

It's called 'The Traitor Baru Cormorant' but it's pretty heavy, kind of a sad book. If you're not in the mood for that.

I have a science fiction book coming out sometime next year assuming the entire process doesn't melt down. Been waiting for months to get my advance on that, it's stuck in the gears somewhere.

Part of a trilogy, right? Just making sure there's not another same-title book out there

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Devaluing books and giving them out for free is the strategy of the biggest and most insanely evil media conglomerate of them all. Amazon would be deliriously happy if all the Big Five publishers went under and we all got our books through Kindle Unlimited.

Yeah, Amazon is one of the Prime Evils definitely. That's why it should be nationalized and made to pay corporate taxes and profits diverted to (among other things like employee compensation) content creators such as yourself, and simultaneously we should enact universal healthcare and provide for orders of magnitude more government subsidy of artists and authors such as yourself.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think that would be a VERY unlikely title to recur by coincidence, lol

Van Dis posted:

Yeah, Amazon is one of the Prime Evils definitely. That's why it should be nationalized and made to pay corporate taxes and profits diverted to (among other things like employee compensation) content creators such as yourself, and simultaneously we should enact universal healthcare and provide for orders of magnitude more government subsidy of artists and authors such as yourself.

:yeah:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

And an important point that should be emphasized is that they did buy the books that they manually scanned and converted into ebooks.

Under normal circumstances they limit the amount of loans to however many copies of the particular book they have. Agreed that it was a dumb move legally to remove that limit, but hell they did it precisely because of so many libraries being closed due to a once in a lifetime circumstance and I can't fault them for it morally.

Completely agree, in a sane world the suit would be laughed out of court

Van Dis posted:

100%

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

This has nothing to do with Star Wars, or even his books in particular. Sorry you hate the idea of authors getting compensated for their works so much.

He got compensated for his work when people bought his loving book. Piracy is not lost revenue, it is lost "potential" revenue that capitalists look at when they're upset they only have most of the money instead of all of it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I agree that most pirated copies aren't lost sales, but some are, and I need every sale I can get to earn out. Book sales numbers are very small compared to games or films, so each lost sale has a greater impact.

If people are going to pirate my book they're going to pirate it. I don't need an unlimited library handing out free copies too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

I think that would be a VERY unlikely title to recur by coincidence, lol

Fair point - bought the first book, put it on my list after the last couple Boss Fight Books! I have high hopes, the reviews are great!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

General Battuta posted:

If people are going to pirate my book they're going to pirate it. I don't need an unlimited library handing out free copies too.

Once again, this is not what was happening

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

I agree that most pirated copies aren't lost sales, but some are, and I need every sale I can get to earn out. Book sales numbers are very small compared to games or films, so each lost sale has a greater impact.

I understand you're in a tougher position on this because you do need the sales to make money, but I think it is important to understand the reasons why people pirate items, and I'm more inclined to put the blame with publishing houses and aggressive capitalist consolidation than with malicious intent from consumers. It's indicative of a larger problem where you and other authors are reliant on sales to survive because publishing houses only care for you as much as they can get out of your product.

I generally avoid piracy myself but I don't begrudge people who partake. It's almost never the creator themselves who profits the most from their work, and if the publishers can't front some more money to their authors that's a different problem which again ties back into the unfettered greed of capitalist systems. The people who do the work make a pittance compared to the suits who call the shots.

I can say that and still say that Wendig is an rear end in a top hat, because he is an rear end in a top hat and I have no sympathy for him or his role in getting a service shut down and then hiding behind a bad faith argument when he gets called out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wendig never called for the IA to shut down. Ever.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Keep moving those goalposts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Wendig never called for the IA to shut down. Ever.

Sorry he didn't use exact words, I know you have trouble reading subtext when you put all your energy into being a sycophant.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
y'all know we are also having this argument in the chat thread if y'all don't wanna derail the Star Wars thread

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sorry he didn't use exact words, I know you have trouble reading subtext when you put all your energy into being a sycophant.

They could, Y'know....stop hosting pirated material.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The people who do the work make a pittance compared to the suits who call the shots.

Maybe executives way up in the MacMillan/Hachette chain, sure, but my editors and related staff at Tor are barely making enough money to get by. I mean if your point is 'gently caress the capitalists' then hell yeah, I'm on board...but books are already incredibly cheap, and efforts to reach a wide audience through discounting (like HumbleBundle) often end up making far less for the author than regular ol' full price sales even if the volume of sales goes up tenfold. It sucks that people can't afford full price hardcovers, I wish that were different. I wish everybody had more money! But I gotta get my money too.

OctoberCountry posted:

Once again, this is not what was happening

No? I'm not on Twitter so I haven't followed the whole argument.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
So, uh, were any of your books actually being hosted on the internet archive?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

They could, Y'know....stop hosting pirated material.

I'd say you are impossible, but your brain would probably only process that as a Luke Skywalker quote, make you believe you're Yoda and declare yourself the winner of the argument because he was proven correct in a movie.
Because this isn't an argument, this is me shouting at a brick wall who has made up his mind and isn't willing to humour any arguments to the contrary. Evidently I don't have better things to do than waste my time talking to a moron, but in just gonna cut it off here and put you on ignore. Go gently caress yourself.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

So, uh, were any of your books actually being hosted on the internet archive?

I haven't looked, but does it matter? I'm capable of empathy. Except for textbook and academic publishers, gently caress those guys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd say you are impossible, but your brain would probably only process that as a Luke Skywalker quote, make you believe you're Yoda and declare yourself the winner of the argument because he was proven correct in a movie.
Because this isn't an argument, this is me shouting at a brick wall who has made up his mind and isn't willing to humour any arguments to the contrary. Evidently I don't have better things to do than waste my time talking to a moron, but in just gonna cut it off here and put you on ignore. Go gently caress yourself.

Sorry you hate authors getting fair compensation for their work, and have decided that "please stop pirating my poo poo" is equivalent to "stop existing forever". It must be tiresome to be you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

Sorry you hate authors getting fair compensation for their work, and have decided that "please stop pirating my poo poo" is equivalent to "stop existing forever". It must be tiresome to be you.

I'm more on your side than his, but this is one hell of a straw man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm more on your side than his, but this is one hell of a straw man.

Eh he decided that "gently caress you" was a good response to "yeah maybe we should let authors get compensated for their work" so I'm good with replying to him as if he's a bit more cartoonishly assholish than is strictly accurate

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jivjov is a living embodiment of that meme where Apu dives in front of a bullet to protect Disney from any slight criticism and has repeatedly melted down in this thread over said slight criticism so I think telling him to gently caress himself is a legitimate answer here. He's the kind of guy where even if he might make legitimate points the fact that it's jivjov saying it will automatically drive away defenders so this is me telling you, jiv, that you should probably just shut your Mickey-licking yap here if you actually care about the issue and want there to be any kind of discussion around it. Or in terms that probably resonate more to you, check your privilege and stop centering the discussion by pointlessly inserting yourself into it. Pretend you're Luke Skywalker flying away to an island to escape from the world.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Love how you've decided that I'm going to bat for Disney here when I'm specifically coming at this from a stance of making sure authors aren't getting screwed.

This has NOTHING TO DO WITH DISNEY.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I made a thread for Internet Archive/general publishing discussion, so hopefully everyone can chat about it together: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927696

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

Love how you've decided that I'm going to bat for Disney here when I'm specifically coming at this from a stance of making sure authors aren't getting screwed.

This has NOTHING TO DO WITH DISNEY.

I have to assume you actually didn't read the post that referred to you, because that's not what was said at all. Your entire argument is "WENDIG DIDN'T CALL FOR THE INTERNET ARCHIVE TO BE SHUT DOWN", which is completely debunked when Arcsquad12 posted that Tweet image. If you cannot see anything but the literal meaning behind words, I don't think you're ready to have this argument, and you should really move on.

Also Battuta, it sucks you're not getting the sales you want, but this argument is about the Internet Archive and what it's doing. You should probably have checked if your books were among those they were lending out, and then opted out of it, instead of assuming someone like jivjov was actually giving the best argument. No one is saying "gently caress you General Battuta, piracy is loving awesome and you don't deserve any money".

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I’m speaking for everyone in my position here-whether or not they’re giving away my books is less important to me than the general principle.

My sales are actually really good, but you have to understand that ‘really good’ for most authors is still zero income until they earn out the advance.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Like you seem to think I’m in a particularly bad position as authors go, but it’s actually just that authors in general make gently caress all and every sale matters.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Like you seem to think I’m in a particularly bad position as authors go, but it’s actually just that authors in general make gently caress all and every sale matters.

You were kind of coming off like the Internet Archive specifically was destroying your ability to survive, yeah. Especially when you admitted you didn't actually know what the full story was, and were just angry that according Chuck Wendig, the Internet Archive was willfully engaged in rampant piracy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

I made a thread for Internet Archive/general publishing discussion, so hopefully everyone can chat about it together: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927696

Please use the nice new thread! Thank you!

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kurui Reiten posted:

I have to assume you actually didn't read the post that referred to you, because that's not what was said at all. Your entire argument is "WENDIG DIDN'T CALL FOR THE INTERNET ARCHIVE TO BE SHUT DOWN", which is completely debunked when Arcsquad12 posted that Tweet image. If you cannot see anything but the literal meaning behind words, I don't think you're ready to have this argument, and you should really move on.

Also Battuta, it sucks you're not getting the sales you want, but this argument is about the Internet Archive and what it's doing. You should probably have checked if your books were among those they were lending out, and then opted out of it, instead of assuming someone like jivjov was actually giving the best argument. No one is saying "gently caress you General Battuta, piracy is loving awesome and you don't deserve any money".

You have any source showing Wendig called for the IA to be shut down? Cause literally every source posted has just been a call against the piracy of his works. That's it.

E: If i know someone is stealing me and and my friend's lunches out of the break room fridge, and I complain about it, i'm not asking for that person to be eradicated from existence, or even fired from the job. Literally the only thing I'm seeking is for them to Stop Doing That Thing. So pointing out "The IA is enabling piracy" is not a call for the IA to be sued, shut down, etc...its just a call for them to Stop Doing That Thing.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 14, 2020

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
When are the high republic books supposed to come out? I’m sure the pandemic has delayed things but it would be nice to explore a new part of the universe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

VaultAggie posted:

When are the high republic books supposed to come out? I’m sure the pandemic has delayed things but it would be nice to explore a new part of the universe.

Delayed until early 2021.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

You have any source showing Wendig called for the IA to be shut down? Cause literally every source posted has just been a call against the piracy of his works. That's it.

E: If i know someone is stealing me and and my friend's lunches out of the break room fridge, and I complain about it, i'm not asking for that person to be eradicated from existence, or even fired from the job. Literally the only thing I'm seeking is for them to Stop Doing That Thing. So pointing out "The IA is enabling piracy" is not a call for the IA to be sued, shut down, etc...its just a call for them to Stop Doing That Thing.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Please use the nice new thread! Thank you!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This isn't surprising. All of existence has been paused. Somehow the movie Tenant being delayed 2 weeks pushed WW84, which wasn't even being released the same week as Tenant's new release week, to be pushed back 2 god drat months.

Yes, I'm salty that I still haven't been able to see WW84.

Anyway, I'm not shocked the new High Republic books have been pushed back. 2020 is going to be seen largely as a lost year where we all just held on and hoped we didn't die. Hopefully that means we have lots of fun poo poo to do see and read in 2021? Maybe? Please?

...we're all screwed.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

drat. At the very least, the new series might give us cool options to use in the FFG games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VaultAggie posted:

drat. At the very least, the new series might give us cool options to use in the FFG games.

Provided the RPG continues. FFG laid off the RPG division, and handed control off to a subcontracted company who only has a temporary website and vague platitudes about FFG's games remaining "supported" going forward.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

You were kind of coming off like the Internet Archive specifically was destroying your ability to survive, yeah. Especially when you admitted you didn't actually know what the full story was, and were just angry that according Chuck Wendig, the Internet Archive was willfully engaged in rampant piracy.

I have no idea what Chuck Wendig said about anything, I’m not on twitter. And I’m not on this new thread either, not today Satan, I have work to do.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

List of authors for the anthology: https://www.starwars.com/news/empire-at-40-from-a-certain-point-of-view-the-empire-strikes-back-authors-revealed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Man I just noticed that they're not donating ALL proceeds to charity, they're just donating the part that would normally go to the authors. :xcom: Or that's how I read the wording, I dunno.