Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Playing through the campaign now.

Wish i could level up the attacks i like so that i can keep using them instead of having to switch to ones i like less cause they do triple the damage.

Otherwise a good way to lose a few pounds a week.

There's upgraded versions of exercises as you go on and it stops being an issue after a point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

quote:

It wouldn't be exaggerating to call you Entirely Too into Planking!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Snagged a copy on Amazon today. Excited to try it on Monday

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got around to trying the rhythm game mode. It’s fun but holy poo poo I could only do like five songs before my arms felt like they were gonna fall off.

I tried the core songs but my shirt was too slippery and I couldn’t hold the ring con in a way that didn’t hurt my arms. I’ll try again another time. It’s really clever though, I hope they figure out more cool poo poo to do with the ring con.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I hope that when they do Ring Fit Adventure 2, they do some work on making the exercises more accessible with sound off. I like to listen to audiobooks while I work out, and there are some exercises (like Planks) that you just can't do without the sound telling you when to start and stop. I can crane my neck to look at the screen, but that's painful for more than a second or two at a time because of the way I have to set up my exercise space.

I also hope they improve feedback on the grading of exercises. It can be quite frustrating to lose points/damage on a move and have no idea what you're doing wrong. Obviously it'll never be as good as a personal trainer, but it clearly has criteria it uses to judge how well you're doing each move, so why not tell us what it thinks we're doing wrong?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think some of that has to do with the limits of the technology. Although vastly superior to Wii Fit, it still isn’t perfect and fucks up sometimes. It’s wrong a lot when I do stuff like Hinge pose or Warrior III. And I’ve also had my joy con’s connection cut out for a second so the game thinks I did nothing. Very annoying during stuff like side step.

Edit: I’m using neon yellow joy con which are from early in the Switch’s life (came out the same time as ARMS) and still have the drifting defect so maybe that’s part of my issue. I’d buy newer ones if any were in stock...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think some of that has to do with the limits of the technology. Although vastly superior to Wii Fit, it still isn’t perfect and fucks up sometimes. It’s wrong a lot when I do stuff like Hinge pose or Warrior III. And I’ve also had my joy con’s connection cut out for a second so the game thinks I did nothing. Very annoying during stuff like side step.

Edit: I’m using neon yellow joy con which are from early in the Switch’s life (came out the same time as ARMS) and still have the drifting defect so maybe that’s part of my issue. I’d buy newer ones if any were in stock...

It sounds like you have the other legacy joycon issue, which is just staying connected and or synced to the system. You can return those for free to Nintendo, i have a yellow set i got at the arms launch i had to return twice. Your joycons should be able to connect from 10 ft away no issues. And at least 5 behind your back. When you call in, they will run through connection tests and ask about your setup, humor them but insist you've dealt with it since you got them and it should be free.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Are there certain colours of joycon that are technically better than others? I haven't had any trouble so far with my original ones but it'd be nice to know if I do ever need to replace them

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I had a red/blue pair that was giving me the same problem but I replaced them with some yellows which have been fine so far, for what that's worth.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knorth posted:

Are there certain colours of joycon that are technically better than others? I haven't had any trouble so far with my original ones but it'd be nice to know if I do ever need to replace them

The pink/green ones are objectively the best because Splatoon is one of the best games on the system. :woomy:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bushisms.txt posted:

It sounds like you have the other legacy joycon issue, which is just staying connected and or synced to the system. You can return those for free to Nintendo, i have a yellow set i got at the arms launch i had to return twice. Your joycons should be able to connect from 10 ft away no issues. And at least 5 behind your back. When you call in, they will run through connection tests and ask about your setup, humor them but insist you've dealt with it since you got them and it should be free.

Last time I checked their repair facilities were closed due to COVID-19...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

They're reopening

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/789

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks I just submitted a help ticket for all four of my joycons. I might buy the neon orange & purple ones in the meantime because they look nice and also they should be new enough not to gently caress up

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just finished my sixth day, unlocked the Blender and went one level further into World 3. This game reminds me of Animal Crossing the way things are gated -- I'm starting to get a little impatient at how slow I'm unlocking what seem like key features, and I really wish I had a better selection of Fit Moves to pick through by now. I guess I could theoretically keep playing and unlock everything at once, but after weightlifting and 20 minutes of Ring Fit I am wiped out for the day. At least in Animal Crossing I can set the system clock ahead. As far as the game part is concerned though, I'm really liking it, otherwise I probably wouldn't care that I can't dig deeper into it every day. I haven't even bothered with any of the other gameplay modes, I've just been trucking as far as I can get through Adventure Mode.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You get all of the attack moves fairly quickly and there are multiple power levels for each attack that you unlock down the road so you’ll get a good variety of moves to use soon and for the rest of the game. You don’t unlock all the special ring powers for a while but those don’t really matter all that much. Blender and hitting weaknesses are the most important the rest are plot related.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got this and have a host of injuries so used it for only 2 levels yesterday, a total of about 6 minutes. I was going to gym until 3 months ago and doing elliptical and weights. I've got knee/back issues, recovering from shoulder surgery, and heel bursitis among other things. Today my calves are very tight and my shoulder is sore, but I did some weights too so it could be that. Nothing huge. I think I'll skip this for about 2-3 days though while my body heals. I'm old, so I've got to ramp up very slowly! This does look like a great addition to the exercise plan though. That's the most running I've done in literally, years, 6 minutes of jogging in place. I'm excited to carry on using this.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
This is a blast! Really got me to exercise in quarantine a lot.

Gyms have re-opened where I live (Melbourne Australia) so I've started lifting again, I'm trying to think how I'll use this now since it won't be my primary form of exercise any more. I'm thinking drop the difficulty and do it for cardio on my off days

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd uhh, still avoid gyms. It doesn't quite seem safe, no matter where you're at and how controlled the plague is in your part of the world. I wouldn't trust other people, sounds like a bad time.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I think it's hard for people in parts of the world like the US to understand just how few cases there are here. That said there definitely are cases in Melbourne including a recent spike with one case in my general area so I agree that day by day I do have to consider how much these decisions are worth it. I'm not trying to be naive

E: e.g for context Australia has had only 104 die of the virus (not a typo). Obviously it's not nothing, and we're a smaller population, and things going relatively well is not a reason to completely relax, but I'm putting things in perspective

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 29, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finally managed to get this after weeks of trying, turns out the answer was to ask someone to buy it for me during the weekday when the shop had it in stock (they put up an announcement the day before).

Have to play it on silent mode because I live in an apartment and doing 3 chapters caused my legs to hurt for nearly a week, but I tried again yesterday and I don't have any issues today, so I can try and make it a daily thing now i think.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

In some ways silent mode can actually be worse on the knees with the repetitive explosive motion so keep an eye on that

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Guys I just want to buy Nintendo Switch only to play this game.
Should I get the standard Nintendo Switch or the Lite version?
Are there anything I should be careful of just in case?

The Ring Fit Adventure I'm going to buy comes with the following:

1. Physical Game Card.
2. Ring-Con
3. Leg-Strap
Is that enough?

BTW the game is going to be the Japanese version, but I've read reviews that they can change language to English just fine.
Is this true?

Also please bear in mind I'm totally a noob to this console, so please tell if I need anything else.
I probably need a TV as well right, but can I just use a PC monitor?
Or need special adapter for that?

Thanks a lot in advance for all your help!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Standard, unless you plan on getting a stand for the switch, plus it'll be harder to see. Also grab a butt pad and yoga mat.

The language is automatically decided by your accounts language and all of Nintendo games are already translated on release.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 29, 2020

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
If it’s just a monitor it has to accept HDMI hand have speakers. Otherwise yeah you need a TV. If you buy a Lite you’ll have to also spend $80 on joycon controllers (required to play this game) so just get a standard Switch.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In some ways silent mode can actually be worse on the knees with the repetitive explosive motion so keep an eye on that

I used to do squats to run during the stages but I realized I could get away with lifting my knee into the air, which hurts me less, though I dunno if it'll be good for me in the long run.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

bushisms.txt posted:

Standard, unless you plan on getting a stand for the switch, plus it'll be harder to see. Also grab a butt pad and yoga mat.

The language is automatically decided by your accounts language and all of Nintendo games are already translated on release.

I just realized that butt pad is a thing. Anyway I already have a yoga mat so I'll give it a try without the pad first thanks.

Riven posted:

If it’s just a monitor it has to accept HDMI hand have speakers. Otherwise yeah you need a TV. If you buy a Lite you’ll have to also spend $80 on joycon controllers (required to play this game) so just get a standard Switch.

Do I actually need to hear the sounds to play this game? Are there any audio cues and such? I want to mostly play it at night while everyone is sleeping.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Well, there's a rhythm game mode :v:

In Adventure mode I don't think there's anything that requires sound. Ring does talk to get you into the rhythm "left, right, left, right" etc etc, but I don't think the game actually cares if you pace yourself differently. That said, there are some exercises where you can't look at the screen (or it's inconvenient to) because of the pose you're making, such as during planks. In those cases, sound would be your only cue for when it's ok to stop holding the pose, and when you've completed the reps.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

srulz posted:

I just realized that butt pad is a thing. Anyway I already have a yoga mat so I'll give it a try without the pad first thanks.

Butt pad??

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get all of the attack moves fairly quickly and there are multiple power levels for each attack that you unlock down the road so you’ll get a good variety of moves to use soon and for the rest of the game. You don’t unlock all the special ring powers for a while but those don’t really matter all that much. Blender and hitting weaknesses are the most important the rest are plot related.

Lies, I am on World 4 and level 26 and I still don't have enough moves. The multiple power levels are definitely what I'm looking forward to, then. I'm at an awkward spot right now where I feel kinda forced to do Warrior Pose 1, Plank, and the thighmaster move over and over again, because they all do 50+ damage and everything else I have does 30. And my best AoE move right now seems to be the Bow Pull, which doesn't feel like it's really working my arms very much, but it does more damage than the other AoE moves that feel like more of a workout. I wanna do more squats and chair pose but it just seems bad to use them right now. Definitely stand by what I said -- wish they would parcel out more Fit Moves faster, or at least not make them differ so much in potency.

What is the trick to Warrior Pose 1? It seems a lot easier than chair pose, and I've barely bent 30-40 degrees before the game thinks I'm done.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Phenotype posted:

Lies, I am on World 4 and level 26 and I still don't have enough moves. The multiple power levels are definitely what I'm looking forward to, then. I'm at an awkward spot right now where I feel kinda forced to do Warrior Pose 1, Plank, and the thighmaster move over and over again, because they all do 50+ damage and everything else I have does 30. And my best AoE move right now seems to be the Bow Pull, which doesn't feel like it's really working my arms very much, but it does more damage than the other AoE moves that feel like more of a workout. I wanna do more squats and chair pose but it just seems bad to use them right now. Definitely stand by what I said -- wish they would parcel out more Fit Moves faster, or at least not make them differ so much in potency.

I played adventure mode up to world 11 and it does gradually get better, but you're always still fairly limited. I ended up switching to custom mode where you can queue up whatever exercises you please and not have to fuss around with menus and whatnot in between them. You can only have 10 exercises to a set, but there's nothing stopping you from making multiple sets and running through them all in a row (just skip the warmup/cooldown in between each one).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

srulz posted:

Do I actually need to hear the sounds to play this game? Are there any audio cues and such? I want to mostly play it at night while everyone is sleeping.

Yes you need the sound unless you expect to always be looking at the screen which is very difficult for some of the exercises like Boat Pose or Overhead Lunge Twist or Plank or Mountain climbers. In fact several of the exercises specifically tell you not to look at the screen.

Phenotype posted:

What is the trick to Warrior Pose 1? It seems a lot easier than chair pose, and I've barely bent 30-40 degrees before the game thinks I'm done.

World 4 is still early, there are 22 or 23 worlds. You probably haven’t even unlocked the skill tree yet.

The secret to Warrior I is the same as every yoga pose, which is to go sloooooooowly. If you feel like it isn’t doing enough, go deeper into the stance with your legs. Just make sure your back heel stays on the ground, that’s kind of the point of it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The thing I hate about the yoga poses (except Chair Pose, which is just hateful in general) is that forced ~1 second pause between repetitions. I run afoul of it at least once every single set.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Let me tell you, I thought I knew what the skill tree was, and then it expanded

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My character is level 230 and I still haven’t finished the skill tree

You can complete it at lv 290 iirc although you can get everything good much earlier than that.

Zurai posted:

The thing I hate about the yoga poses (except Chair Pose, which is just hateful in general) is that forced ~1 second pause between repetitions. I run afoul of it at least once every single set.

You’re too hasty. Going slow is how you work your core & stabilizer muscles. I’ve done actual slow flow yoga classes and this is nothing compared to how brutal (yet boring) slow flow yoga is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh my God that level obstacle where you have to push a giant block at the same time you're running up an upwards treadmill is the hardest thing I've had to do in this game in the 100 hours I've played it. To get past it I had to drink the shake that makes jogging easier.

I'm posting right now taking a break because I would collapse if I were to just keep going to this boss fight

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh my God that level obstacle where you have to push a giant block at the same time you're running up an upwards treadmill is the hardest thing I've had to do in this game in the 100 hours I've played it. To get past it I had to drink the shake that makes jogging easier.

I'm posting right now taking a break because I would collapse if I were to just keep going to this boss fight

In one level (fortunately, I think it's literally only a single level in the whole game), there's one of those spring trampolines that you have to do a Squat 10+ times to get to the top, and at the very top (which you can't see from the bottom), there's a moving block that will shove you off the ledge if your timing isn't right. It's basically pure luck whether you get enough time to react to the moving block or not and it's total bullshit. I about quit the game permanently when it shoved me off for the third time in a row.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

my copy of this arrives Wednesday and I cannot wait to get started. Also really hoping my father gets into it.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I’m getting a copy tomorrow. I’m super excited and resisting to have the urge to watch too many YouTube videos of it so I can experience some surprises.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I need new workout shorts or something. It’s been too drat hot that I put off playing this.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

JHVH-1 posted:

I need new workout shorts or something. It’s been too drat hot that I put off playing this.

ngl I work out in nothing but boxers right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ugh, gently caress Dragaux's fire breath attack. It went on forever and was way too difficult to hit each projectile. At least it can't kill you.