Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

if you knew anything about megaman lore you'd know Dr. Light-built robots cum from their asses, it's a known design flaw that Dr. Wily used to reprogram the original six Robot Masters, discarding Rock because he wasn't powerful enough to be of use and Roll because Dr. Wily's name is already on the sex offender registry due to an incident he had in his college days and he didn't want to break probation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's just because Astro Boy needs regular lubing in the rear end.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's just because Astro Boy needs regular lubing in the rear end.

That explanation didn't fly for Osamu Tezuka, and it won't fly here.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
There's plenty of anime without the disgusting harem type oversexualization
And then there's the 75 percent of it that is trash.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

a lot of that poo poo was a direct consequence of the 2008 recession

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tunicate posted:

a lot of that poo poo was a direct consequence of the 2008 recession

We're talking about 90s stuff though. Japan iirc DID have a huge economic bubble followed by a crash in the 90s though iirc that led most of its younger people to realise they had no prospects

Japan as ever is ahead of the curve

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nah I mean the more recent wave of oversexualized creepy animes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

I. M. Gei posted:

*late night cartoon commercial voiceover guy voice*

“From the studio that brought you Space Dandy...”

“... and the writers that brought you Xavier: Renegade Angel and Aqua Teen Hunger Force...”

“... comes......... whatever the gently caress this is idunno did i get paid yet? wheres my phone i gotta make a call”

If any studio would do an adaptation it will be Trigger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tunicate posted:

nah I mean the more recent wave of oversexualized creepy animes

Ahh, fair. Though probably for similar reasons. Also a few that are a little too meta. Like that one No Matter How You Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular about the goon

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d settle for Gainax doing this as a spiritual successor to Panty and Stocking, but Trigger would be five too.

jk, Ruby Spears or get the hell out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably would be better than the last Mega Man show.

Proper hellworld version: A Mighty No. 9 adaptation.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did that Red Ash anime thing ever happen? You could get them on it and get some proxy Legends representation in that way. The game came out while the comic was still being made, one can’t help but wonder if they would have roped in Volnutt if given the chance.

Yes I’m still mad about Legends 3 and yes I did buy a 3DS specifically to play it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Warbird posted:

Did that Red Ash anime thing ever happen? You could get them on it and get some proxy Legends representation in that way. The game came out while the comic was still being made, one can’t help but wonder if they would have roped in Volnutt if given the chance.

Yes I’m still mad about Legends 3 and yes I did buy a 3DS specifically to play it.

The Red Ash anime was made and don't get 4°C involved.
Any chance for the game disappeared after Level 5 bailed out Comcept.

If we are still talking about creeps,
Ben "Better than Nothing" Judd turned out to be a harasser.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

:kheldragar:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol is that the thicc robot nanny from the Jetsons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nice work with the silhouettes. Though I don't recognise the two on the left.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

YES Rosie has a special place in my heart.

lol now I'm hearing her little beep-beep sfx in my head but since I can't remember any of her lines, she's just saying stuff Lunchlady Doris would say.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phlegmish posted:

lol is that the thicc robot nanny from the Jetsons

Rosie, yup.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nice work with the silhouettes. Though I don't recognise the two on the left.

Chii from Chobits and R Dorothy from Big O. Chobits is hot garbage I read when I was 15. I remember Big O actually being pretty good? It was by the Batman: TAS folks.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh no, I almost forgot about Chobits, and now it's all coming back... People still want to gently caress their iphones because of this anime.

E: those parody comics are awesome, by the way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ahh, Chobits, one of the original ridiculously pandering animes. The Big O is apparently a really weird one that's very clearly trying to be Giant Robot Batman and has some wild plot twists.

The comic's use of Roll is kinda weird overall; it's pretty clear she's basically the subject of a lot of boners, fetishes and weird degrading jokes because she's basically the token girl of the franchise who barely exists in the original games (see also Kalinka) but at least this does mean she plays a major role throughout and actually seems to do stuff.

Kind of one of the phases of female character depictions in media where despite a lot of issues with her portrayal, she actually gets significant screentime, characterisation (even if cliched) and is allowed to succeed and fail at things- they clearly aren't trying very hard to be progressive, but the writers do clearly actually like her, though they clearly also like doing weird and terrible things to her. Arguably better than the all too common following stage where they add female (and/or minority) characters because they know they're supposed to, but clearly don't have any ideas for what to do with them outside the standard cliches, and routinely write them out.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 14, 2020

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If it makes y'all feel any better about repressed Chobits memories, I too suffered when I GIS'd references for Rosie and discovered Rule 34 like, way too quickly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd say I was surprised to find out people want to gently caress the shapeless matronly metallic Jetsons robot but I'm really not

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

I'd say I was surprised to find out people want to gently caress the shapeless matronly metallic Jetsons robot but I'm really not

Shapeless? She's literally all curves! :haw:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

True, I quickly realized it was a bad choice of words, I also do not wish to bodyshame women whose bodies consist mostly of trapezoids, cylinders, and other perfect geometrical shapes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I recognized all the robo wives and Das Boo you are a joy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh God Chobits is giving me teen cringe flashbacks

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I literally only recognized the one from the 1960's Hanna-Barbera children's cartoon, and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

The blue-eyed blonde one with the huge forehead seems familiar somehow but I realize there are probably multiple fictional characters who fit that description

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

I literally only recognized the one from the 1960's Hanna-Barbera children's cartoon, and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

The blue-eyed blonde one with the huge forehead seems familiar somehow but I realize there are probably multiple fictional characters who fit that description

That's probably because she's from Dragon Ball Z. Actually kind of a distinctive design, really, both in the show and among anime in general.

Though took me a moment, I think because I've never seen her drawn from that angle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Oh God Chobits is giving me teen cringe flashbacks

Chobits is the thing where every lesbian I knew read it and nobody wanted to tell me why when I asked and so I finally had to do research and fell into the terrifying Clamp Chasm.

In summary: bad place for an I/O switch

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's probably because she's from Dragon Ball Z. Actually kind of a distinctive design, really, both in the show and among anime in general.

Though took me a moment, I think because I've never seen her drawn from that angle.

Yeah, I think you're right. I never got very far into Dragon Ball Z.

I guess it's the forehead that's distinctive? I feel like in the animes explicitly set in Japan that I've seen, white people are often depicted with blonde hair and blue eyes (because that's what we all look like), and sometimes with huge noses (lol).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I think you're right. I never got very far into Dragon Ball Z.

I guess it's the forehead that's distinctive? I feel like in the animes explicitly set in Japan that I've seen, white people are often depicted with blonde hair and blue eyes (because that's what we all look like), and sometimes with huge noses (lol).

That and the specific hairstyle. Of course, her brother looks almost exactly the same but with dark hair.

Anime can be weird about that, especially when the protagonists have whatever hair style and colour that the artists think looks cool and marketable even and perhaps especially when they're explicitly Japanese, but the background characters are usually all drawn plain with universally dark hair.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Barudak posted:

Chobits is the thing where every lesbian I knew read it and nobody wanted to tell me why when I asked and so I finally had to do research and fell into the terrifying Clamp Chasm.

In summary: bad place for an I/O switch

Yeah, and wasn't she made to replace the creator's dead daughter or something? What in the lovely gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, and wasn't she made to replace the creator's dead daughter or something? What in the lovely gently caress.

The funny thing is Astro Boy's whole origin is about taking this idea apart- a mad with grief Dr Tenma builds a superpowered robot-boy to replace his dead son Tobio, but he does an awful job at even letting Tenma fool himself into thinking he's a real replacement and basically sells his 'son' into slavery. And this was in the 50s. Ironically, Astro only becomes better at passing as human while in the care of a different doctor who wants him to develop into whatever he wants to be. And later when Astro is made more human, he finds things like pain and fear are significant downsides and decides he'd rather focus on being a better robot than imitating humanity.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember watching Astro Boy on Adult Swim around 2005 and being surprised by how dark and complex that origin that was. Which is why I read Pluto!

Y'all read some Naoki Urasawa if you want some legitimately kick-rear end graphic novels. Monster is right up there with Maus for me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The original Astro Boy manga is a bit weird to read since it goes from some surprisingly deep and profound storytelling to some Silver Age esque silliness and everything in between. The 2003 anime seems to have held up pretty well, been meaning to give that a rewatch.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Anyway gimme a little bit and I'll have the next page up.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

All my golden manbabies for this thread, I would say goonsir but I'm pretty sure it's mostly the goonladies with all of the actual artistic talent

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ya'll are magical

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I remember watching Astro Boy on Adult Swim around 2005 and being surprised by how dark and complex that origin that was. Which is why I read Pluto!

Y'all read some Naoki Urasawa if you want some legitimately kick-rear end graphic novels. Monster is right up there with Maus for me.

I feel like there are a ton of genres where the original work actually does explore are the disturbing implications of the premise, but the imitators just end up copying "super robot boy adventures, yay!" or whatever. then decades later some work comes along to "deconstruct" the genre but it turns out that was already done by the original text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

Don't worry, she's 18.