Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've been trying to figure out what this music video i saw in like 96 or 97 or 98 was

It was a rap video I think? and it was filmed in a sci-fi-ish set, kinda like a spaceship or lab or something, and there were these x-ray kinda images on the wall behind the rapper/singer of some alien birds that looked like emus or... mushroom birds? hard to describe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Something sung by Jon Anderson?

Small white guy, usually has a goatee. Sometimes plays a bit of guitar. Can/could hit amazingly high notes. Can also be unintelligible.

Can't hear him yelling about the difficulty of singing the note, though.

Nah, not him. Much less well known and also younger. Guy still had dark hair.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Julius CSAR posted:

A children's book from the 80s about a high school football team in Texas (I think) who's coach gets injured and the math teacher dresses up as a dude with a big fake Tom Selleck mustache. I specifically remember one of the players saying "Man, the new coach is really giving us the business" then she takes them all out for ice cream at the end of the book.

The specifics are a bit different, but "Miss Nelson has a Field Day" by Harry Allard seems worth a Google. The teacher's disguise is still female but there's another teacher with a Selleck 'tache, and "giving the business" crops up a couple of times.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s miss Nelson

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
That one thread where a guy shot heroin and smoked joints in a corpus Christi flophouse while he made gourmet food on a stove that looked like it would give you legionnaires

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I believe that would be The Hell Kitchen.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
there was a supercut of a food/travel host saying "Eeeh" before everything he said that i haven't been able to find for years. I think the episode took place in Germany

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

ItsDisposable posted:

The specifics are a bit different, but "Miss Nelson has a Field Day" by Harry Allard seems worth a Google. The teacher's disguise is still female but there's another teacher with a Selleck 'tache, and "giving the business" crops up a couple of times.

As soon as I saw the title I knew that was it! Thanks!

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug

Hedrigall posted:

I've been trying to figure out what this music video i saw in like 96 or 97 or 98 was

It was a rap video I think? and it was filmed in a sci-fi-ish set, kinda like a spaceship or lab or something, and there were these x-ray kinda images on the wall behind the rapper/singer of some alien birds that looked like emus or... mushroom birds? hard to describe

Long shot but Busta turns into a weird chrome flying snake creature. Weird wall images at the end. Most other details don't match.
https://youtu.be/hUxN0K1ykNo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Spectral_beard posted:

Long shot but Busta turns into a weird chrome flying snake creature. Weird wall images at the end. Most other details don't match.
https://youtu.be/hUxN0K1ykNo

That's a super cool video but not what I'm trying to remember sadly

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

this show i watched in preschool featured an alien or something. his thing was he would look at the camera and teleport whenever he got into a bad situation or something and i'm pretty sure it was just stock footage behind him changing.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm looking for an old racist diagram/drawn picture of a dude changing the side of the street he's walking on because there's a black person approaching. I wanna find it so I can make the person approaching a cop and the dude changing sides black :hmmyes:

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I'm looking for an old racist diagram/drawn picture of a dude changing the side of the street he's walking on because there's a black person approaching. I wanna find it so I can make the person approaching a cop and the dude changing sides black :hmmyes:

more of a black whale, then

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Armchair Calvinist posted:

This one?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gently caress yes thank you so much!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Aaaand it's done

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
DON'T DO IT DUDE. JAYWALKING IS A CAPITAL OFFENSE

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’m looking for an old nes game I used to play when I was little. I don’t remember the name but it was a set in space and the first level was like a horizontal shooter. Once you finished the first level your character got out of his ship and walked into the moon or planet where the second level was a platformer. You jumped with a jet pack I believe.

That’s all I got.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’m looking for an old nes game I used to play when I was little. I don’t remember the name but it was a set in space and the first level was like a horizontal shooter. Once you finished the first level your character got out of his ship and walked into the moon or planet where the second level was a platformer. You jumped with a jet pack I believe.

That’s all I got.

Solar Jetman?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I'm picturing this clip from a movie or tv show where there is like a conversation scene in a kitchen and the man grabs a slice of bread and smears like a hilariously poorly spread glob of margarine on it and then takes a huge bite. It was memeish at one point I think and I want to say it's from like the 80s or early 90s or something.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

stab posted:

Solar Jetman?

Nope that’s not it. There was a definite platforming element to this game.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Raspberry Bang posted:

That’s all I got.

Is it Xexyz

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Raspberry Bang posted:

That’s all I got.

Air Fortress (which has a baller fuckin soundtrack too)

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Air Fortress (which has a baller fuckin soundtrack too)

Holy poo poo that’s it! Now I need to play it again. Thank you!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

So I just had a mini white whale today that I solved in about half an hour, but thought I'd share anyway.

I was watching a friend stream and had a weird theremin cover of this tune playing in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9vAw4VwJA

And it was immediately clawing at me that this song is so familiar. I have the title and the artist, yet where have I heard it? Something about that chord progression at the 28 second mark was resonating something I couldn't quite figure out. Was it in a movie, a cartoon, some ad somewhere, some video online? How do I even search something like this when I already have the song identified? All I know is that whatever I heard, it wasn't this exact song (nor the theremin cover), but the melody and chord progression was hauntingly familiar. I was listening to this with my husband who also had the same reaction. He couldn't figure it out, either.

And just like that, a moment of relief came when it hit me. It just reminded me of the Wii U Mii Maker music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o6pqg5bmas

It wasn't even the same song! But now I'll never unhear how crazy similar they sound. I'm just glad something like this wouldn't gnaw at me for weeks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Crossposting from the Vague memories: Finding games you barely remember thread in Retro Games:

A sidescrolling platformer that came out in either very late 80s or early 90s, probably for the Amstrad but maybe C64. The game art was pretty basic, not as simple as the early pixel art but mostly monotone themes. I can't remember the aim or the gameplay but I know you had to run around collecting various items for various tasks, the only item I remember is asbestos gloves that were heat proof. The cover art had some scifi character (possibly a robot or cyborg, possibly on the back on the box) saying "Yowza! Mega briltoid!". I'm pretty sure that the game was from the UK.

The main detail that I remember is that the soundtrack to the game was a midi version of 'Respectable' by Mel & Kim.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Crossposting from the Vague memories: Finding games you barely remember thread in Retro Games:

A sidescrolling platformer that came out in either very late 80s or early 90s, probably for the Amstrad but maybe C64. The game art was pretty basic, not as simple as the early pixel art but mostly monotone themes. I can't remember the aim or the gameplay but I know you had to run around collecting various items for various tasks, the only item I remember is asbestos gloves that were heat proof. The cover art had some scifi character (possibly a robot or cyborg, possibly on the back on the box) saying "Yowza! Mega briltoid!". I'm pretty sure that the game was from the UK.

The main detail that I remember is that the soundtrack to the game was a midi version of 'Respectable' by Mel & Kim.

Magnetic Scrolls - Fish! ?
https://youtu.be/mP7v8cQnRbo

If you browse through it may just look text-based but it has a graphical depiction above the text area that is largely monotone though not early pixely.
It does have asbestos gloves, but the box art features a badass 80s fish dude, not a robot/cyborg per se, and does not mention "mega briltoid" (which seems like a red herring already, as googling that phrase didn't return much useful, as I'm sure you've discovered)
Best I can do on my phone; will search more later!

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 18, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

There was a science show on PBS in the early 80s that I would watch with my very sweet departed grandfather, and it was hosted by an elderly British man with floofy red/grey hair and I believe he was in a wheelchair. He would explain things from his oak-panelled study in his home and I believe his wife(?) was alongside him not in a nursing context, but because she was also a scientist. It wasn't a kid's show but an adult boring PBS show about a dude explaining cool things. He did a segment on metabolism or something where he kept referring to food intake calories as 'foodstuffs' and I thought it was the goofiest thing ever. Any help would be appreciated!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

baby picture posted:

I remember this. It was a very early FOX Network show, maybe even one of their first non sports broadcasts. I think the main character was a high school aged James Bond? But a comedy?

...that sounds so stupid, but then again this was around the same time Herman's Head aired.

I recently started reading huge chunks of this thread and apologize for the late entry that's almost certainly been answered. You're thinking of 'Parker Lewis Can't Lose', Fox's answer to being unable to license the Ferris Bueller character. He had a nerd friend and a huge jock friend named Moose or Ox or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I recently started reading huge chunks of this thread and apologize for the late entry that's almost certainly been answered. You're thinking of 'Parker Lewis Can't Lose', Fox's answer to being unable to license the Ferris Bueller character. He had a nerd friend and a huge jock friend named Moose or Ox or something.

Koob

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Koob indeed!

And they would always synchronize watches for their shenanigans

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 19, 2020

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
1) Saw a foreign movie in a "film appreciation 101" class. A miner fakes an accident where he claims to have lost his ability to speak in an explosion, but hasn't. Through out the investigation and trial he remains silent. At the end of the film he cut's out his own tongue to avoid incriminating himself in the future.

2) Few details on this one, but the first movie I ever saw breasts in might have been around the early 80s. A woman gets in one of those booths where a fan blows around money and you try and grab it. Her shirt blows off or something and is topless. That's all I can remember.

3) This might be slightly off topic, but yesterday I was trying to determine with a friend if this expired eBay auction is a real Chagall print or not. There is a similar Chagall painting called "Marching", but I can't determine if "The Marching Man" is actually Chagall. I've searched quite a bit today and this book uses the painting as cover art, but all references to it are in French. Seems like it might not be Chagall, but I'd like to know. If this is outside the scope of this thread please ignore.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Does anybody remember that skit for that fake product where a black dude is driving and a cop pulls him over and he pulls a cord and inflates an emergency white person on top of him and the officer lets him go?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

There was a science show on PBS in the early 80s that I would watch with my very sweet departed grandfather, and it was hosted by an elderly British man with floofy red/grey hair and I believe he was in a wheelchair. He would explain things from his oak-panelled study in his home and I believe his wife(?) was alongside him not in a nursing context, but because she was also a scientist. It wasn't a kid's show but an adult boring PBS show about a dude explaining cool things. He did a segment on metabolism or something where he kept referring to food intake calories as 'foodstuffs' and I thought it was the goofiest thing ever. Any help would be appreciated!

I did a bit of digging, and although I didn't find it, maybe these two lists might jog your memory?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

I wonder if you are at least partly thinking of Connections with James Burke? It's like 50-50 for what you're describing.

DoomLazer posted:

1) Saw a foreign movie in a "film appreciation 101" class. A miner fakes an accident where he claims to have lost his ability to speak in an explosion, but hasn't. Through out the investigation and trial he remains silent. At the end of the film he cut's out his own tongue to avoid incriminating himself in the future.
Looks like it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_for_Revenge

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

Thank you; this is exactly it. Can I ask how you found it or did you just know? I've googled several times trying to find it.

edit: fixed BBcode

DoomLazer fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 19, 2020

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

DoomLazer posted:

Thank you; this is exactly it. Can I ask how you found it or did you just know? I've googled several times trying to find it.

edit: fixed BBcode tags

https://www.google.com/search?q=foreign+film+miner+mute, fifth entry down for me is a link to "Argentine Cinema: From Noir to Neo-Noir" on Google Books with the excerpt "It tells the story of two men who attempt to scam an international mining company by faking a mining accident that would leave one of the conspirators mute and ..." so I opened that and looked what movie it was describing. (After trying several other searches and ruling out a bunch of other movies, for some reason I assumed it was a chinese film so that was a dead end)

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
Might have dismissed that result previously because it's a google books link or I'm just not as good at researching as I think I am. Either way, thank you!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nope, doesn't ring a bell :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Raspberry Bang posted:

Holy poo poo that’s it! Now I need to play it again. Thank you!

You bet, thank you for your timing on that because it let me find this video that was uploaded that very day! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDe4RM9q_yM