Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Is Aliexpress not a scam or just low quality stuff? I'm intrigued because I've always written it off as a wish.com type of site where outright lying/deception is tolerated

I am in fact very intrigued
It's not really that different from buying stuff from random Chinese companies off Amazon nowadays except that the product descriptions have slightly worse English and it takes slightly longer to arrive depending on shipping method.

I was afraid of it at first but you're effectively already buying from AliExpress if you buy products in a lot of categories from Amazon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, in fact you can get those same brushes for 14.99 right now from Amazon. Same pictures and everything.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moo the cow posted:

There's a lot going on in the world today that I can't solve. But if I can help you have clean jacuzzi jets, then I feel I have done a little to make the world a better place.

Thank you. My girlfriend has been dying to take a jet bath, but I can't seem to clean everything out enough. She's been having a rough time lately, so I'm super excited to get it all ready for her as a surprise.

I'm thinking bottle of wine, joint, one of those facial masks that smell like flowers, and me leaving her the hell alone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's an aliexpress thread in gbs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806076

If you know what you're doing you can some great stuff that's much more expensive or impossible to get elsewhere. But yeah you can also end up with garbage if you're not paying attention to what you're ordering. Also keep in mind that bulky/heavy items are often cheaper to buy locally because the shipping goes through the roof. It's definitely not a scam in any case.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

One of the odd benefits of buying on Ali is that the delivery time is so long that you often forget you've ordered something and it's a really pleasant surprise when it turns up in your mailbox.

On more than one occasion, something had arrived and I have no clue what was inside the package. Even feeling the shape of the contents didn't help..

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Moo the cow posted:

One of the odd benefits of buying on Ali is that the delivery time is so long that you often forget you've ordered something and it's a really pleasant surprise when it turns up in your mailbox.

On more than one occasion, something had arrived and I have no clue what was inside the package. Even feeling the shape of the contents didn't help..

Chinese products of questionable authenticity and a shipping window of eventually? You’ve really sold me

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I tried buying a bunch of enamel pins from various sellers last year off aliexpress and the tracking basically never updated, I got emails saying "this is the last time you can attempt to contact the seller" after I disputed the existence of said items, and the overall feeling I got from the site was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not bitter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

foutre posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'm going on Aliexpress now. Very good purchases all around; where did you get the testers? I want to find some more tactile switches to swap onto my keyboard.

The Aliexpress thread is very long but very informative.

As OP of that thread, I would say there are some basic rules for enjoying Aliexpress:

- don't buy anything important
- don't buy anything you need urgently
- don't buy anything that goes in your mouth

However, you can get loving amazing deals on some extremely great stuff and if you like to buy little dumb poo poo for yourself it can't be beat. But you do have to be comfortable with the "Aliexpress Christmas" phenomenon (Aliexpress Christmas is when the thing you ordered that you forgot about arrives. Just keep a constant pipeline and past-you is always surprising present-day you with cute little presents!)

Hot tip: when you search for something, search by "number of orders" (and it better have 4.7 stars or more). The reason is that there are a lot of brand-new listings, these are more likely to be sketchy. The ones with lots of orders have essentially been vetted by people other than you, because otherwise they'd be downvoted, and Aliexpress is tyrannical about punishing stores that list items that receive bad reviews. So, for example, if you want "butter knife", arrange by number of orders. You'll see two rows, at least, of butter knives that 300+ people have ordered. Any of them will probably be a good bet.

Also, sometimes you will get to enjoy completely mental listings.

Pick has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Jun 10, 2020

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I bought a bunch of tea accessories on aliexpress that I couldn't find anywhere else: a boar's hair brush, a pick, and a fair cup.

The fair cup is made of some of the thinnest glass I've seen but made it over in a padded envelope in one piece.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just know I'm gonna get drunk one night and buy a ton of obviously fake star sapphires. I can just feel it.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just know I'm gonna get drunk one night and buy a ton of obviously fake star sapphires. I can just feel it.

The power is within you

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
poo poo man, I've spent like at least :20bux: on jewelry from wish.com over the last few weeks. Just neat looking rings and poo poo I never plan to wear, but can't pass up cause it's like "Oh, gently caress, that's like 2 bucks".

Sobriety has rarely entered into the equation.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Ali app on a tablet is an absolute enabler of this behaviour.

You only have to click once on something odd-looking in the recommended list and it takes you down an absolute rabbit warren of stuff you didn't know existed, or that you wanted and all at a price where you think 'what the heck, it's only $4'

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Not to shop shame, but I feel iffy about Ali simply because I don’t like contributing to the amount of shoddy single-use crap already out there. Maybe if it’s something with a genuine use, but still.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I am even wary of the Ali water bottle because I put the water in my mouth.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Not to shop shame, but I feel iffy about Ali simply because I don’t like contributing to the amount of shoddy single-use crap already out there. Maybe if it’s something with a genuine use, but still.

Shoddy single use crap? Excuse me, but I’m fairly confident I’ll get at least TWO uses out of this firecracker-bb cannon I recently bought on Ali

For the record, the toothpick crossbow I bought last year was :discourse:

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

OSU_Matthew posted:

Shoddy single use crap? Excuse me, but I’m fairly confident I’ll get at least TWO uses out of this firecracker-bb cannon I recently bought on Ali

OK, I take it back, those are pretty sweet.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Dang, thanks for the awesome AliExpress write ups. Yeah you're absolutely right I'm already getting random Chinese goods from Amazon so why the hell not

Just gonna stay away from things that go inside my body or vice versa. Definitely checking out the gbs thread though!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drat it...now I want a ton of tiny implements of war.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xenoletum posted:

Finally got my Cham! Cassette in from HK, and it sounds fantastic. Just waiting on the vinyls to be shipped out.
I got my Cham! CS as well, it's so good

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

OSU_Matthew posted:

Well now I have christmas gifts for my entire family for two years

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

bowmore posted:

I got my Cham! CS as well, it's so good

My Cham! vinyl just shipped today, too. Really can't wait for that one.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Xenoletum posted:

My Cham! vinyl just shipped today, too. Really can't wait for that one.

I'm still waiting on both my Cham! and Neoncity Cruise vinyls to ship. Holding off purchasing anything else from them in the meantime.

I have however filled that gap with some straight up city pop reissues. I don't remember which ones off the top of my head, but I think they're supposed to ship sometime soon?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My Cham! shipped today!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What's Cham! ?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's Cham! ?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's Cham! ?

https://neoncityrecords.bandcamp.com/album/cham

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

:homebrew:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'd judge if I didn't already have like 3 mechanical keyboards for different moods.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, OK. This kind rules. Crap, does this make me an anime guy now?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's Cham! ?

nothign much, whats cham with you

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

djfooboo posted:

My Cham! shipped today!

If you like Cham! you'll adore skub

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Brother HL-L2350DW Wireless Laser Printer for $50 shipped via eBay, though it didn't come with a toner or drum cartridge.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

skooma512 posted:

If you like Cham! you'll adore skub

not much what's skub with you

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I got a really cool 3d printed maquette of the human body that's half surface level and half showing the musculature underneath, also you can swap out the arms and torso so you can see the muscles in different positions

Also it all connects with magnets in a very satisfying way

This will be very useful for anatomical and lighting reference

Pic maybe NSFW for sculptural nudity: https://i.imgur.com/g49Y9RO.png

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

I got a really cool 3d printed maquette of the human body that's half surface level and half showing the musculature underneath, also you can swap out the arms and torso so you can see the muscles in different positions

Also it all connects with magnets in a very satisfying way

This will be very useful for anatomical and lighting reference

Pic maybe NSFW for sculptural nudity: https://i.imgur.com/g49Y9RO.png

Is it... fully functional?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Android Apocalypse posted:

Brother HL-L2350DW Wireless Laser Printer for $50 shipped via eBay, though it didn't come with a toner or drum cartridge.

I have the non wireless version of that. It's awesome. I don't think it's ever jammed up and I've only ever had to replace the cartridge once in the years I've had it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

y-yes?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I don't know much about mechanical keyboards, but is a tofu/ aluminum alloy the new hotness now?

Context:
New Cuisinart stainless cookware to replace the last remnants of my 16 year old cookware.

It's surprising that I kept thinking all the places I lived all had stoves that weren't level, when it was the pans the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mobby_6kl posted: