Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Once you've gotten to coal and aren't having to constantly scramble around shoving leaves into fires like some kinda caveman, the extra scale of power for coal vs. biomass gives you a lotta breathing room on power capacity in addition to freeing up time previously spent chainsawing. That's generally the point I look at having things like foundations, walls, actual organized layouts, a real mall with crafting/equipment/mam and good access to the hub and space elevator, dedicated processing for low-demand crap like fabric and paint cartridges, etc etc. It's also a lot less painful to cleanup your handful of assemblers at that stage when already redoing everything for organization, mk2 miners, and realistic access to smart splitters. There's also the option of just leaving your existing stuff (temporarily or permanently) and building Base Mk. 2 somewhere nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Alright, my base is now starting to get too convoluted, and I have too much stuff building there to want to tear it all out.

My plan is to relocate to a larger area, tear out just the assemblers from my old base, and make a ton of conveyor belts to feed the earlier stuff up to the new base.

My question about this plan is: is there a limit on how many foundations you can have chained together?

I'm planning on moving to the top of one of those mountains near my coal plants, and just making a giant platform for my base.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

My question about this plan is: is there a limit on how many foundations you can have chained together?

Nope, you can pave over the entire world if you do it high up enough.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

there will be weird gaps after a while so try and build out from the center if your going big.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
UNIFIED GRID.

I am making this game far, far, far harder for myself by only building on a grid, so I had to pave 2 kilometers to oil.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The pipe is ready bro, just head on in...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I've set up a warehouse for basic materials, ingots, plastics and so on. The idea is the train loops around all the different resource nodes that process the ores/oil into these materials and picks it all up, then brings it here for processing. Then trucks are used to bring these materials to different factories that make other stuff.

But my mind just... can't parse setting up trucks like this or if the truck stations would replenish fast enough when it comes to having a truck make multiple stops. I can just feel the gears in my head slow down when thinking "alright we'll put this factory here, set up truck routes. But will the truck station replenish fast enough when the truck arrives? Will this make shortages? What about when multiple truck types are coming to the same factory?"

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Skybase has begun.

View from the ground.

Then I noticed that my power use was getting close to tripping the breaker, so I made a detour to make some more coal generators.

A lot more.

Oh god piping up oil from base 1 is going to be hell.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

If you want your skybase to look extra pretty, you should buy the pillars from the Awesome shop. They're big, meaty and valid.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Maybe it's just because I'm so early game, but I feel like my base is much messier than my factorio games. I've got conveyor belts running through each other everywhere

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LLSix posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm so early game, but I feel like my base is much messier than my factorio games. I've got conveyor belts running through each other everywhere

If you mean they actually run through each other, when you click to place a conveyor, you can move your mouse to change the height of the pole to go over other belts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LLSix posted:

It's a part of how Satisfactory set up. Since every building needs its own belt in and out, it's harder to set up neat rows. On top of that, early-game you don't get fast enough belts to do any sort of real bus system, so you're going to start off with a lot of dedicated belts from constructor A to assembler B. You don't even get mergers and splitters at first to allow you to do anything else!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

It gets better once you've figured out how to make your belts look neater and such, and eventually you can get that good, clean circuit board look. Don't hesitate to use elevators, and make sure you use the mousewheel and move the mouse to get elevation and rotation right, and use foundations to make sure everything snaps.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
What bothered me early on was not being able to build as compact as I felt should be possible. Lots of stuff doesn't line up right to be super neat, and it becomes really inconvenient to walk around if you have stuff too close together, and running belts can only bend so much. But due to the scale and fps perspective it feels wrong to spread everything out, you just want it all really tight but can't.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

yeah, that's an issue you have to get over. when you think "yeah, gonna need 1 km² for this factory", just go for 1.5 km² instead.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

LifeSunDeath posted:

What bothered me early on was not being able to build as compact as I felt should be possible. Lots of stuff doesn't line up right to be super neat, and it becomes really inconvenient to walk around if you have stuff too close together, and running belts can only bend so much. But due to the scale and fps perspective it feels wrong to spread everything out, you just want it all really tight but can't.

The amount of space you have is essentially endless, especially if you build vertically and horizontally, and nothing runs out so you can always get more concrete for more foundations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

space doesn't feel too endless early on, or at least, it feels like you really quickly run into "oh god i totally put this in the wrong place" or "oh hey, as I expand in this direction suddenly i realize there are deadly fart cloud zones in the way."

On a different note: I have no idea how to gauge my coal supply vs. coal plants. I also set up a very, very long belt which seems like it was maybe the wrong thing to do? Like I have access to trucks, but I didn't really want to figure out setting them up, and I should probably consider doing that?

Is there some kind of filters/sorters that come later? Right now I'm guessing if I want to use trucks they're only going to be able to carry one good for now?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
in factorio, building stuff compactly is a nice fun puzzle (in a game where space is actually endless) . It's just not a fun thing to do in satisfactory. Your ability to build things small is limited by your patience to fiddle with belts. I mean, yeah, you don't have to care about it, but this is a game where it's normally very rewarding to spend time caring about optimizing things.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Is there some kind of filters/sorters that come later? Right now I'm guessing if I want to use trucks they're only going to be able to carry one good for now?

You'll have to go down the caterium research tree to unlock smart splitters.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

On a different note: I have no idea how to gauge my coal supply vs. coal plants. I also set up a very, very long belt which seems like it was maybe the wrong thing to do?

15 Coal and 45 water per plant per minute maximum.
They won't use all of it if you don't max out your grid, so don't be fooled into thinking you can support more than that if you see coal backing up.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This is pretty useful for coaling up.

Oxyclean posted:

space doesn't feel too endless early on, or at least, it feels like you really quickly run into "oh god i totally put this in the wrong place" or "oh hey, as I expand in this direction suddenly i realize there are deadly fart cloud zones in the way."

On a different note: I have no idea how to gauge my coal supply vs. coal plants. I also set up a very, very long belt which seems like it was maybe the wrong thing to do? Like I have access to trucks, but I didn't really want to figure out setting them up, and I should probably consider doing that?

Long belts ain't wrong, but imo they just look ugly as all hell unless they're snapped to foundation the whole way. Trucks are pretty easy to figure out, but kind of crude for more precise work.

And when you run out of space, think laterally or vertically, think about what kind of megaproject you can do to overcome your obstacle, and after you've made a 300 meter vertical oil pipe, marvel at your accomplishment.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 14, 2020

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Someone correct my math here. If I have, say, a 270 line of something, and I wanna split off 30, can I just split the line into a 270 branch and then a 60 branch, then split the 60 into 2 more 60s, and merge one branch back into the 270 line? That'll end up with 1 line of 240 and 1 of 30, right?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If one of the outputs from a splitter is blocked, it will simply push the rest of the items through the other outputs.

You can just split a belt once, and if an output only consumes 30/minute, then it will give that output 30/minute, and the rest to the other output.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just make sure my peak consumption doesn’t exceed the bus line.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm currently just running a ton of resources from around my area to my base. I've only got the 3rd tier belts unlocked right now, so I'm trying to fill out the belts fully as I bring them to my base. So, instead of like, 4 belts of 120, 90, 120, and 240 coal, I end up with 2 belts of 270 and a belt of 30 coal. At least, till I unlock the next tier. Then I'll combine lines in my base to get better throughput.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
if you want to split a mk3 belt into a mk1 and 2 mk2s, just do exactly that. Place a single splitter and put two mk2s and a mk1 as the output.

e: In general, you can just decide a belt has whatever capacity you need it to, and as long as it's less than its actual capacity, it will work. If I want to split 23/min off of something, I'll put down a splitter and any belt, and tell myself "im sending 23 that way" and it will work out in the end just as well as if I had a belt whose capacity was 23.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 15, 2020

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Doubling up on belts for something you have more of than they have capacity for is useless, right? For example, if I have a miner that pulls 120 a minute but only level one belts, which move 60 a minute, in theory I could move 120 (60 *2). But, in actuality, I will only move 60 total, 30 on each because the MK1 belt pulling from the miner to the splitter can only move 60 per minute, no matter what.

The pipes don't use basic assumed logic but surely the belts do.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Yeah, it doesn't matter how brief your bottleneck is, a bottleneck will reduce the throughput of the whole system.

And pipes work this way, too. You can't shove more more fluid through a pipe than its bandwidth, no matter what fancy contraptions you build around it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Doubling up on belts for something you have more of than they have capacity for is useless, right? For example, if I have a miner that pulls 120 a minute but only level one belts, which move 60 a minute, in theory I could move 120 (60 *2). But, in actuality, I will only move 60 total, 30 on each because the MK1 belt pulling from the miner to the splitter can only move 60 per minute, no matter what.

The pipes don't use basic assumed logic but surely the belts do.

Yeah, this also limits how much overclocking gets you. a pure node with a mk3 miner is pushing 480/m before overclocking, but the fastest belts only go up to 780/m, so even though hypothetically you could overclock 480/m to 1200/m, but in practice because 780/m is the fastest belt you can't get more than that out. This also applies to oil, cuz the pipes can only do 300/m so nothing to be gained from overclocking an oil well past that. In the future there will be both faster belts and faster pipes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just finished my first set of 4 coal power generators.

Not having a way to copy and paste the design so I can just stamp out more is extremely annoying. Especially since angling the pipes and belts around so they don't overlap is extremely finicky. Is there any way to attach a pipe junction or conveyor splitter/merger to their support items? That would make things less finicky at least.

Also, water pumps providing 120 water when generators need 45 each is some top tier trolling.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Nothing like designing a line around the 10 rods/min -> 40 screws/min ratio before looking at the 5 steel beams/min -> 260 screws/min ratio.

Holy poo poo.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

getting the alternate recipes where you can bypass screws altogether is better than turbo fuel and diluted fuel combined.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

TK-42-1 posted:

getting the alternate recipes where you can bypass screws altogether is better than turbo fuel and diluted fuel combined.

Huh, there are actually screw-less recipes for every mat they can make.

...I think I'll go on a hard drive hunt.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The worst thing is that this is actually fun to me.

I think I'm gonna go recipe hunting.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No need to use the windows calculator, the game has one built in :v:
(Press N, it's not just a super useful search function, it can do math as well)

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/lOMPCSU.mp4
alright gotta be more careful when setting up multiple hyper tubes

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dark Off posted:

https://i.imgur.com/lOMPCSU.mp4

You can hold s to slow down and turn around

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dark Off posted:

I always terminate my hypertubes elevated, but pointing downwards, which has two advantages:
- they end by dropping me onto the ground rather than launching me screaming through the air
- I don't get sucked into them without warning when I walk past; I have to stand at the base of the support and jump.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Tamba posted:

No need to use the windows calculator, the game has one built in :v:
(Press N, it's not just a super useful search function, it can do math as well)

Ah, but N doesn't work when interfacing with factories, and I'm gonna have to use my nerd rear end dual screen setup for something.

(thanks though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

BisbyWorl posted:

Huh, there are actually screw-less recipes for every mat they can make.

...I think I'll go on a hard drive hunt.

I'm a little frustrated about this hard drive thing.

I finally got to the point where I got the Space Elevator built and am waiting for enough resources to pile up so that I can research coal power and stop worrying about running out of biomass in my generators. While waiting, I decided to run power poles out to the one quartz deposit I finally found, because I'm desperate to get the Map unlocked. On the way there, I came across what looks kind of like Ficsit technology, some kind of crashed drone - but it's next to a poison pillar. I tried just running up to it to interact but it is not interactable at all. Is this just a sign that there's an actual drop somewhere nearby?