Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Some TS maps were made a hell of a lot easier if you knew exactly which bridges to repair with 1 of your 2 mission critical engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The entire TS GDI campaign is made easier by building a bunch of disc throwers and having them force fire on the ground in front of a chokepoint.
Also (just like a RA2 dolphin) you can put a disruptor next to an enemy building and force fire on the ground behind it and it will hit every tile instead of 1 time.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Regarding playtesting, according to the Tiberian Sun postmortem on Gamasutra, it got three months of purely internal playtesting, ie the devs playing it locally. You'll likely find Starcraft got more and wider scale playtesting.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Grappling with the original Tib Dawn pathfinding put me in mind of this Ars Technica video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VAL7Epn3o

which on rewatching turned out to be as much a neat lil retrospective on the series as it is about pathfinding. Fun watch, thought I'd post it. :toot:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yeah you just have to put a few guys there to block it. Literally just stand them where the structures would be and they won't build there.

obese retard posted:

The AI gets to play by a different set of rules a lot of the time in this game. Just do what was mentioned above and place units on top of where the AI is rebuilding their structures. The AI will do nothing to adapt to this and will just wait until your unit moves or is destroyed.

Ahh, ok; thanks for the heads-up. I did look at the LP post about it afterward and found out how it can rebuild in those spots, too. I was just really mad about that current run because it was going so well until it wasn't and then I had one harvester left, no money, and that patch to harvest :v:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Man, every single nod mission is basically:

Explore the map
Figure out the gimmick
Restart
Save before exploiting said gimmick in case there are issues with microing units.

Gotta admit this is making we want to play Tiberian Sun/RA2 more. Where's the best place to purchase them?

Tib Sun is now freeeware so I think if you search the c&c community you'll get a link to the full download. I know I have it I just forget where I got it. Maybe cnczone? RA2 sadly is not so the only way to purchase it is to get the $30 collection from EA that has every C&C game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Grappling with the original Tib Dawn pathfinding put me in mind of this Ars Technica video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VAL7Epn3o

which on rewatching turned out to be as much a neat lil retrospective on the series as it is about pathfinding. Fun watch, thought I'd post it. :toot:
Thanks, that was an interesting watch. Puts RA2 into some perspective, that's probably the best game they did.

Also a pretty cool video series. The Ultima video is really funny, poor devs poured three years down the drain creating a complex ecology and then players just murdered every living thing in sight. Also apparently Richard Garriott is a deeply weird dude who lives in a mansion filled with props from Masterpiece Theater.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks, that was an interesting watch. Puts RA2 into some perspective, that's probably the best game they did.

:eng101: Tib Sun was still the old C&C people while RA2 was another studio that EA already had acquired that they renamed Westwood Pacific. Westwood Pacific had a handful of the original C&C people join them later to make Generals.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Regarding the polish / difficulty of the game, remember that most C&C games had REALLY short dev cycles of one to two years at the most, mandated by EA to pump out sequels. Blizzard meanwhile had several years from game to game, the shortest gap was Warcraft 1 to 2.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Silos needed

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
if you wanna see some fairly high-level multiplayer on C&C: RA Remastered, check this guy out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qjohix0kHo&t=467s
a semi-pro starcraft 2 player who is trying to get a high rank in the ladder.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Samopsa posted:

if you wanna see some fairly high-level multiplayer on C&C: RA Remastered, check this guy out:

I want to see him go against Bikerush

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha, I always remembered reading strategy guides (on Usenet probably) that at a high level, allied light tanks were more effective since you could basically dodge shots as long as numbers of tanks in the engagement were low.

edit: dude needs to spam X between shots.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Multiplayer (especially high level) is fun to watch but it stresses me out. I just like plodding through the campaigns.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sininu posted:

I want to see him go against Bikerush

Same that would rule

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wow, parking a tank in front of the barracks is an excellent dick move.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ran into the bug again which I had on mission 12. On the final soviet mission with invincible enemies... as soon as the allies deploy the mobile shadow generators their units suddenly cant be hurt anymore. Nobody else ran into this so far? its SUPER annoying having to restart these long rear end missions.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 14, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Samopsa posted:

Watching a tank drive over 15 infantry was so good.

If he ever unlocks the knowledge of what buildings and units are in the game and what they do he'll probably be unstoppable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Checked the steam forums, the bug is related to the allied mobile fog of war generator. If you ever notice the fog of war on the entire map increasing your game bugged out and no unit can hurt each other anymore.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hed posted:

Haha, I always remembered reading strategy guides (on Usenet probably) that at a high level, allied light tanks were more effective since you could basically dodge shots as long as numbers of tanks in the engagement were low.

edit: dude needs to spam X between shots.

The real strategy is plotting waypoints while managing engagement distances, not hammering X to hope for the best.

And keeping your loving V2 launchers from blowing their load early.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

It's the most hilarious C&C game I've ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IJSDWOBmLk&t=698s
Timestamped to where it gets fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sininu posted:

Haha yeah I saw that one. Funny thing is Plokite could have probably won had he used his harvester to squish things more near the end, or even if he'd sold off in response!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Starting to get used to the new Airstrike targeting now.

A big plus is that the airstrikes no longer target your harvesters whenever you harvest north of your base (and frequently burning a lot of tiberium in the process). Another neat thing is that SAM sites end up getting target priority due to the cost - and they generally survive the strike, too. If your units get significant kill counts they may overtake it in priority, but if you have the SAM kill the GDI orcas is seems to have enough "target value" to last to the end of the scenario.

The downside is that Obelisks get target priority if you have one, and they are pretty fragile. I ended up playing through NOD 12 without ever building an obelisk, with my one SAM site tanking every airstrike and Ion cannon. Pretty sure I saved a lot of money that way.

(On a dissapointing note, it seems harvesters no longer try to squish recon bikes.)

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

If you're able to destroy the GDI communications center in the Nod campaigns, that will also stop the airstrikes.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Sininu posted:

Lmao @ the dueling engineers

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

One thing I remember as a kid was that the chrono tank sucked. I didn't remember that it cost 2400 credits though. :psyduck:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vlex posted:

Some TS maps were made a hell of a lot easier if you knew exactly which bridges to repair with 1 of your 2 mission critical engineers.
The TS mission I always remember is this one early Nod mission that required you to assault a base with limited units for some reason (rescue prisoners I think). I would always get my rear end kicked by it until I got my hands on the Prima guide which said to go in the opposite direction of the base, which causes you to run into a GDI trooper being attacked and if you save him he jumps into an Orca Bomber and destroys some Tick Tanks guarding a tunnel leading to an easily capturable Hand of Nod and Refinery and a lightly guarded bridge that leads into the back of said base you need to attack.

Typing this up I went to grab said guide to double check some details but looks like it was lost some time in the past 15 years or so. :rip:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

One thing I remember as a kid was that the chrono tank sucked. I didn't remember that it cost 2400 credits though. :psyduck:

The Chronosphere in general kinda sucks. You so rarely want to teleport anywhere because it doesn't give you any kind of advantage in the single player campaign. I'd much rather make some of my strike force invulnerable for a minute.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The part that sucks is they select-all instead of teleporting if you double click

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember liking the chrono tanks as a kid but man they were pricey. You could get what, like 4 light tanks for the price?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chronojam posted:

The part that sucks is they select-all instead of teleporting if you double click

Someone needs to mod in the deploy key that RA2 has. Wouldn't help in multiplayer, though.

I might take a crack at it if I feel up to it this week

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Does this come with multiplayer? Are a lot of people on it?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Insert name here posted:

The TS mission I always remember is this one early Nod mission that required you to assault a base with limited units for some reason (rescue prisoners I think). I would always get my rear end kicked by it until I got my hands on the Prima guide which said to go in the opposite direction of the base, which causes you to run into a GDI trooper being attacked and if you save him he jumps into an Orca Bomber and destroys some Tick Tanks guarding a tunnel leading to an easily capturable Hand of Nod and Refinery and a lightly guarded bridge that leads into the back of said base you need to attack.

Typing this up I went to grab said guide to double check some details but looks like it was lost some time in the past 15 years or so. :rip:

I'm sure i'll get to it when they remaster TS

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does this come with multiplayer? Are a lot of people on it?

It does! I only did 10 matches just for the achievement but games seemed to fire pretty frequently. They need some QoL updates though because currently its impossible to make private games or kick people from lobbies.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

axeil posted:

The Chronosphere in general kinda sucks. You so rarely want to teleport anywhere because it doesn't give you any kind of advantage in the single player campaign. I'd much rather make some of my strike force invulnerable for a minute.

When I was a kid, I used it to teleport Cruisers as close to the enemy base as possible. Particular if there was a small lake I couldn't build into.

I mean RC1985 also uses a Chronosphere in his multiplayer matches as a viable strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeMRt9yd9Kc&t=742s

On a non infinite money map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73EzL-1awu4&t=491s

Having thieves magically show up in your base and stealing all your money if one hell of a trick.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
doesn't trying to chrono infantry instantly kill them? could use it to destroy engineers/thieves etc

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Spookydonut posted:

doesn't trying to chrono infantry instantly kill them? could use it to destroy engineers/thieves etc

I'm pretty sure you can chrono apcs with infantry loaded.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Spookydonut posted:

I think that's just the iron curtain

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm pretty sure you can chrono apcs with infantry loaded.

From memory you couldn't in RA1. But in RA2 you could chrono IFV with Infantry in them.

Speaking of the IFV they broke the game because they earned their level ups at their unit cost (the IFV cost 500) as opposed to the level up cost of the Infantry inside them.
So if you put Chrono Troopers inside them, you very quickly got Elite Chrono Troopers. Who could wreck armies very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking of the IFV they broke the game because they earned their level ups at their unit cost (the IFV cost 500) as opposed to the level up cost of the Infantry inside them.
So if you put Chrono Troopers inside them, you very quickly got Elite Chrono Troopers. Who could wreck armies very fast.
It doesn't really even matter because once the IFV hits elite, the best thing to do is empty it out. Elite missile IFVs are easily the most broken unit in the game.

Chronoing in elite IFVs is basically game over, given how fast they flatten structures.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 15, 2020