Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

only buying the game when it comes out, like in the good old days of game development

your move devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i love guilds with disproportionately sophisticated websites for games that won't ever come out

https://legacyofages.com/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

i love guilds with disproportionately sophisticated websites for games that won't ever come out

Ooh my, someone spent a lot of money on this website.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

frajaq posted:

only buying the game when it comes out, like in the good old days of game development

your move devs

Was this ever a thing? Because Im old enough to remember people preordering Duke Nuke Em Forever in like 1999.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I said come in! posted:

Ooh my, someone spent a lot of money on this website.

Yeah there is no way in hell someone excited for this game is a web dev.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
This is definitely a game for system administrators. Linux system administrators.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is definitely a game for system administrators. Linux system administrators.

....tell me more.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

LuckyCat posted:

Ngl that sounds pretty rad. Which means it won’t end up in Pantheon.

It worked in UO because you had plenty of stuff you could kill on your own and there really wasn't a shortage of decent gear on the low/mid end, so if by some mishap you die and can't get to your corpse you probably had plenty of back-up gear stored at your house.

It wouldn't work in Pantheon because to mimic EQ you can't have a lot of good gear drop every day, and it's already about the corpse runs anyway so you're only screwed if you don't have friends!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Freakazoid_ posted:

It worked in UO because you had plenty of stuff you could kill on your own and there really wasn't a shortage of decent gear on the low/mid end, so if by some mishap you die and can't get to your corpse you probably had plenty of back-up gear stored at your house.

It wouldn't work in Pantheon because to mimic EQ you can't have a lot of good gear drop every day, and it's already about the corpse runs anyway so you're only screwed if you don't have friends!

Yeah, the thing about like all the MMOs that came out after EQ is that you completely upgraded your gear/outfit like every 3-5 levels when leveling up. Once you got a decent kit of gear in EQ you kept it for 20+ levels. My wizard used the same robes for like two years. If you had no-drop (or god forbid epic weapons) or otherwise quite expensive items from a zone that wasn't ran often it could be near-irreplaceable if you lost a corpse.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

some good thoughts from the pantheon forums

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

some good thoughts from the pantheon forums

Red Dead Redemption 2 kinda does this. Everquest had similar stuff.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

just realized Pantheon may have more progress made in it than the Other Dead MMO that I had some interest in it, Camelot Unchained...

what a depressing genre

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 kinda does this. Everquest had similar stuff.

Falling off Kelethin and dying because being drunk made your character fling back and forth.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Groovelord Neato posted:

Falling off Kelethin and dying because being drunk made your character fling back and forth.

lagging and your screen freezing while jumping would also kill you from fall damage

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Frog Act posted:

Guild Rules, Policies, and Procedures
Updated: May 14, 2020

***A more detailed set of rules that includes handling in-game actions (such as loot, DKP, guild bank, etc) will be defined as we better understand the nature of Pantheon’s raids.

Pre-Launch
All members must strictly abide by both the letter and intent of the Visionary Realms NDA. Guild officers will report any apparent NDA violation to VR and expel you permanently from the guild. Guild members are expected to have read and fully understand the NDA. If you have questions, consult VR for clarification.

Conduct
All members will conduct themselves in a reasonable and respectful manner in all communication: in-game, forums, Discord or social media. You represent the guild in all you say and do. We take our reputation quite seriously.

Although we are competitive with other guilds, no member shall engage in harassing another guild or player. This includes griefing other players through kill-stealing, camp-stealing, training or harassment (in or out of game).

No member shall say or post anything in-game, forum or Discord which may be considered hate or discriminatory speech in opposition to the established diversity values stated in the guild charter. We want all members to feel welcome and comfortable among friends. No member shall post or express sexually-explicit or overtly vulgar content. While we are a guild of adults, be mindful of what you post in guild chat or discord. We all swear from time to time but don’t make it your normal mode of conversation.

Members are asked to leave all discussion of real-life politics or religion at the door. Regardless of how respectful you may be, this is a gaming guild. People come to have fun and escape real life, not watch the debate team or listen to your soapbox opinions.

Members must follow Visionary Realms policy regarding boxing or 3rd party tools for running macros, traffic analyzers or any other mechanism used for cheating or gaining an unfair in-game advantage. Members must not take advantage of in-game exploits other than for purposes of documenting and reporting said exploits to the VR development team.

Discord
Discord is one of the communication methods used by the guild to socialize and coordinate events. The guild will utilize Discord for all voice communication, including for raids, guild events, and interviewing new applicants. While it is not necessary to talk at raids and events, you must have the means to listen in.

Recruiting
The recruitment onboarding process is in place but will be somewhat short-circuited or abbreviated prior to Alpha. Once Alpha opens, we will begin the more formal process where recruits are voted on by the current members. Prior to Alpha, applicants will be asked to submit an application for information only. This is just a formality.

Forum Access
Basic forum access is provided to our members and recruits. Access to restricted areas of our forums will only be provided once your alpha or beta privileges have been verified in-game by an officer.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
as we've learned from Star Citizen, the best games are the ones that live entirely in the player's imagination.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vomik posted:

lagging and your screen freezing while jumping would also kill you from fall damage

My brother once died from fall damage falling off the entrance to Felwithe (which is maybe 10 feet).

I fell off the path to Highpass Hold and got hit the ground three times on the way down before I finally died and each hit was for 10k damage so I almost took as much damage as Cazic-Thule could back then.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I do miss that feeling of "Oh poo poo my gear might be gone!" feeling when you died in EQ. It also created this fun economy where Necro's and Rogues were super in demand for corpse runs. I remember paying a Necro like 1kpp + cost of the coffin to come to Seb to summon my corpse from the 2nd level because I just couldn't get back down therre.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i was going to actually check the Pantheon website for updates instead of my usual trite 'have the fallen risen yet???'

but it turns out that no, they have not bothered to update the blog since May 20. i trawled around some more and found a dev stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0azqKDRdrx0 where they mostly play the same 30s of 'greyboxed' terrain in al oop.

these guys really, really love the ability to climb walls. i think they wanted to make a spiderman game.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

cmdrk posted:

i was going to actually check the Pantheon website for updates instead of my usual trite 'have the fallen risen yet???'

but it turns out that no, they have not bothered to update the blog since May 20. i trawled around some more and found a dev stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0azqKDRdrx0 where they mostly play the same 30s of 'greyboxed' terrain in al oop.

these guys really, really love the ability to climb walls. i think they wanted to make a spiderman game.

They are STILL running Black Rose Keep

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can’t wait till we’re all playing Project Faerthale together!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'll stick to inhaling my own farts, tyvm.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Project Fartinhale

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

My favorite "community roundtables" are where the community managers just interview the other community managers.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

regular brain: announcing when alpha or beta will release

galaxy brain: announcing that your next phase is a pre-alpha for the next phase of pre-alpha

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2020_summer_update/

"Pre-alpha 5 Shakeout" lol

quote:

The pre-alpha shakeout consists of a few key systems and focused testing of these systems. There will be three sessions per day on these testing dates. Each pre-alpha tester can participate in one session per day to accommodate server load.

This will be followed be "Pre-alpha 5 Proper"

quote:

PA5 Shakeout is to "shake out" the show stoppers on our way to Pre-Alpha 5 Proper. It allows you a chance to get in game, and allows us to test the latest technology on a larger scale to make sure we've got the big bugs shaken out. Pre-Alpha 5 proper comes later, with more classes, more features and more content. PA5 Proper allows you, the tester, longer playing sessions for a full progression MMO experience. It's the culmination of Project Faerthale and one of the final steps before Alpha.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wonder if they had stuck to the proper idea of "EQ with quality of life improvements" if they'd have been able to produce anything.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the plan still just to work on Project Fart-hell until an investor picks it up and funds a full team? I just can’t see that happening. They would have been better off trying to do a full MMO by themselves. At this point they could have finished off maybe 1 continent.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Still hoping it turns into something there is no other mmos coming.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

We've had shakeout, but what about shakeout shakeout?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

"[img posted:

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/f2/5c/00175589.0001.gif[/img]" post="507080928"]
We've had shakeout, but what about shakeout shakeout?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

With McQuaid in Shadowrest who's in charge of Pantheon?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Hexel posted:

With McQuaid in Shadowrest who's in charge of Pantheon?

I assume he's helming the project from beyond the grave just like all of the liches in his fantasy worlds.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

cmdrk posted:

I assume he's helming the project from beyond the grave just like all of the liches in his fantasy worlds.

I'd play the poo poo out of a game if it was made by a lich

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Node posted:

I'd play the poo poo out of a game if it was made by a lich

but aren't liches like devoid of all sapience and direction?

...it all makes sense now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

cmdrk posted:

but aren't liches like devoid of all sapience and direction?

...it all makes sense now.

any goons up to the challenge? perform the ritual of turning into a lich, and I promise I will buy your game. don't forget your phylactery!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Themoor posted:

Still hoping it turns into something there is no other mmos coming.

Idk if you just aren’t counting these because maybe you think they look bad, but Ashes of Creation is an upcoming AAA fantasy mmo with a dev team of more than 100 (many veterans of the industry as well) and Amazon’s New World just to name a couple that will actually release unlike Pantheon.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Although putting your hope into New World seems worse off than putting your hope into something that doesn't exist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not much point in caring about New World right now because its another 9 months away from release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New Worlds will not be good but is not vaporware/a scam like Pantheon.

The sad part is I say this as an original Kickstarter backer.