Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Landing mode is way harder to land with anyways. Much rather be able to orient myself with the horizon than have a flat image of the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i personally never really understood the point of landing mode because evne if you pointed straight down at the ground upon impact as long as you weren't hurtling straight down at full speed and throttling yourself, it always resets to upright or some proximity of the such when you disengage piloting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure I never used landing mode either. It feels like maybe there was a part of the game that would have required it, but then got cut

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Landing mode is really useful for entering a solar orbit for a manual sun station visit

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I spent way, way too long trying to launch the Nomai ship at just the right time to intersect the quantum moon, assuming that was the whole reason for finding their launch apparatus. :(

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

TACD posted:

I spent way, way too long trying to launch the Nomai ship at just the right time to intersect the quantum moon, assuming that was the whole reason for finding their launch apparatus. :(

:same:

it was one of two points in the entire game where i had to go look up a solution instead of figuring it out on my own, and both times were because i got close enough with my wrong solution that i didn't even try to find a different approach (and there was a third spot where my idiot's gambit paid off and i didn't realize there was an easier way to do what i was trying to do even though in retrospect it was pretty obvious)

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think this works because The probe camera goes away when you go into landing mode. You don't need to do landing mode at all, just fly into the moon slowly.

Yeah. I had actually figured out what to do before he made that suggestion, so it worked out.

I use landing mode all the time. I am baffled by people saying it’s useless or harder than landing by looking out the viewport. Landing mode is great, as far as I’m concerned.

haveblue posted:

Landing mode is really useful for entering a solar orbit for a manual sun station visit

Oh, no. I wish you hadn’t said that. I tried to get to the sun station by flying there, and it went so poorly that I kind of doubted that was even the way to go about it. Now, I guess I know.

In other lols, I just got all the way to the center of the Interloper via trial-and-error before realizing I could shoot the probe down hallways to see if they were safe. That’s even dumber than it sounds, because I noticed the probe saying “danger” when I shot it some places, but I thought the danger was everywhere, so I didn’t realize that could help me. I figured it out literally as I was jumping down into the last chamber.

I don’t get ghost material. I thought it was those crystal spiky things that grow in places where you detect it, but apparently not? Sometimes, I can walk right through those without any problems, but other times I die. Not knowing that those crystals aren’t always deadly made the above portion take MUCH longer than it otherwise would have, because I couldn’t figure out why I died sometimes, and not others. I still don’t know. If it’s not spoilery, can someone tell me what’s up with that? How do I know if/when it’s safe to travel in those areas? If it is spoilery, don’t bother. I’ll deal with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ghost material is literally the green clouds you see in the probe view. The crystals are a hint that it's probably in the area and you should bust out the probe before taking another step, but the cloud is what actually kills you; if you can see a gap in the cloud on the probe you can stand there even if there are crystals.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Oh, no. I wish you hadn’t said that. I tried to get to the sun station by flying there, and it went so poorly that I kind of doubted that was even the way to go about it. Now, I guess I know.

There's a better way.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's only for an achievement

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Arrhythmia posted:

There's a better way.

Regy Rusty posted:

That's only for an achievement

Ahh, cool. I was thinking it might have something to do with the Interloper/quantum moon shuttle, but, if it does, I haven’t figured it out, yet.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I don’t get ghost material.

As said above, the ghost matter is the glowing stuff you see through your scout. The crystals show where high concentrations of ghost matter used to be - remember, it evaporates/degrades/otherwise disappears over time. So by the time of the game, enough has disappeared that even parts of the crystal-y areas are safe.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
A couple people mentioned Mogwai and I also immediately thought that the soundtrack was like post rock with acoustic instruments, but the synth stuff is great. The music that starts when you enter the (potentially) final loop is amazing. And this track, (end game spoiler I guess, if only because you shouldn’t click on the YouTube link if you haven’t beaten the game yet) specifically the part a little over a minute in gave me goose bumps, it’s so short and the perfect music to end the game with, it’s incredible and the fact that that part is like 30 seconds long is also just sort of thematically perfect in a weird way, like the song crescendos as the end of the universe happens and is over in an instant/another Big Bang starts https://youtu.be/EaEysHtlItk

But yeah this Mogwai song is great, there’s a bunch of stuff that I’m relistening to for the first time since like whatever the album after The Hawk is Howling was cake out, for some reason I couldn’t get into it but The Hawk is Howling is one of their best imo.
https://youtu.be/YYpimokjfYw it’s one of my favorite Mogwai tracks and it almost lines up with the 22 minute cycle, and the like grainy, tape saturated outro seems like it would line up with the music that plays at the end of the loop.

Also I couldn’t remember the name of this track, but its the first song I went to look for because I’m gonna replay it a bit tonight and listen to Mogwai and it’s appropriately titled “Thank You Space Expert” https://youtu.be/D6lTYxUauUs

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The expiring Epic store coupon convinced me to spend it on something even though I've just used Epic as a free game repository so far, my god I'm glad I did that. What an incredible game this is. I hope the Steam release will give it a newfound spike of attention, because god does it deserve it.

The truly remarkable thing with it is that concrete progression is normally a very important thing to me; unlockables, achievements, and the like. This game kept me hooked even though it has none of that, almost all of the progression is through knowledge alone. A perfect example of that is the back entrance to Sunless City. It's literally just a hole that leads right to the door, no one-way doors or anything. But unless you leave through it you'll have no idea it's there since it's so easy to pass over.

And they used that gradual doling out of information absolutely masterfully with the Sun Station. I went most of the game seeing how nice and conscientious the Nomai are. Then I find that the Sun Station isn't merely a tad iffy like I thought, but that they were going to blow up the sun, and I felt betrayed not only by the Nomai, but by the writers, for turning the story from something enjoyable into a story of science gone wrong, a cliche that never fails to bug the hell out of me. Then I found the truth of it, that not only did the station not even work, but that if their plan had gone off correctly the Sun Station would technically never be used. And at first I felt relief at that, but then it dawned on me that, if the Nomai weren't responsible, that I couldn't stop it. There was no doomsday machine to heroically turn off. There's just such a wonderful mixture of emotions throughout this whole game.

The one thing I wish the game had was more dialogue options with the other Hearthians, it feels weird I can barely tell poor Hornfels anything. The best conversation in the game is with yourself. Also, Chert playing the drums while having their mental breakdown is a little... jarring. Maybe it's a good coping mechanism.

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Some questions about everyone's least favorite ash twin puzzle and how they did it(endgame spoilers, obviously):

Did you know the thing you needed for the vessel was in there?

Did you figure out how to warp inside on your own? Did you do it intentionally or by accident?

Did you know how the warp pads work? (not only does it need to line up with "a target" but you also need to touch the pad at some point during that window)

Did you play before or after the 1.04 patch that added more hints? (IIRC, wording was changed at white hole station texts, murals were switched between the time loop experiment room and the black hole forge, and more text was added... I think the glowy pulsing effect on the warp pads was added in that patch too)

Plus waiting around is a huge pain in the rear end am I riiiiight???

I can't come to any real conclusion because I played the game completely out of order, but I'm curious to hear how much of the difficulty was a specific red herring-type distraction or just not seeing an optional text entry somewhere.

1: Yes, though I saved it for last in all the other options I suspected like the Forge and Sun Station. I remember being annoyed I couldn't do drat near anything in the Forge, since it took me ages to actually get there (I put off Ash Twin for most of the game).

2: I had to look it up. I was convinced the answer was to wait until the very end, after all the sand drains over, since thematically it would be so striking to escape the supernova by a hair into a chamber that's immune to it. It just had to be the answer. That the actual answer is to just stand under a bridge was sorta disappointing, honestly. And obnoxiously it comes so close to teleporting you at the end, but like 10 seconds before Ember Twin goes over you the nova blows you up. I honestly wondered if the answer was to somehow take advantage of the 0.0001 second warp delay to buy enough time.

3: I didn't really understand why the Ash Twin teleporter would warp me downward unlike all the others, but I assumed it did something.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I've got some more quality of life tips. I'll put spoiler tags around some of the comments about how they help mechanically but there won't be anything directly relating to plot or puzzles.

At all the campfires, you can roast marshmallows and eating them will restore health. You can also doze off. Dozing off allows you to skip time forward, so if there's a place you want to visit later on in a cycle then you can doze for a bit at the start to advance the clock.

The ship's log will allow you to 'Mark Location on HUD' for the places and things within it, which will give you a visual indicator for it's position similar to the one that tracks your ship location. This can help you to get back to things want to revisit and explore in more detail across cycles if you run out of time.

And if you want some help regarding how to work out which patches of ghost matter are harmful, the little scout has two ways to help. First, firing it and clicking the photo button will show green clouds where the active ghost matter is. But even better is firing the scout at a place you're considering going, the scout will show a hazard indicator warning if it's dangerous where it lands. You can use this to work out the places and paths it is safe to go when ghost matter is around.

Ablative posted:

Man I wish i still had that thing sitting around, the full game is different in a lot of ways.

Looks like you can still download it via the wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150726160905/http://alexbeachum.com/outerwildsDownloads/OuterWilds_Alpha_1_2_PC.zip

Worked for me but not the fastest download speed for a 275mb file.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the hints and whatnot. I actually figured out the things that I was talking about on my own because I didn’t want to spoil anything for myself. I think I’m done with the game, though. Nothing new or interesting has happened in like two days. I cleaned out maybe two “there is more to explore here” items, and the rest has just been going over the same stuff over and over and finding nothing new.

I was right about not liking the time loop mechanic. I’ve spent probably 70% of my game time on Ember Twin. I’ve been to the Sunless City like 60 times, and I still have a “there is more to explore here” legend in there. Every time I go to explore, and I run out of time, and I have to wait out that rewind animation, and wake up, and go to my ship, and buckle up, and launch, and navigate to Ember Twin, and set down near the entrance, and go back in, and poke around, and run out of time, and do it all over again. It has gotten SO TEDIOUS.

I really liked the game when it felt like new stuff was being revealed, and I was going new places. Now I’ve had the same handful of orange “?” marks in my log for days, and the same two or three “there’s more to explore here”s that I can’t seem to clear out. I’m at the point where I either have to read a guide or quit. I’m going to force myself to play one or two more cycles, then quit if nothing interesting happens.

Can anyone recommend other unusual games like this one, specifically for PS4? I was thinking of getting Stardew Valley, but I already have it on PC, and have put a ton of hours into it. I’d like to try something new.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

go somewhere else

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also! If you find the simple process of going to a place takes up too much of your time and you don't have enough left for exploring, it's worth considering that maybe there is an alternate way there that'll spare more precious minutes.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Futaba Anzu posted:

go somewhere else

I also go other places. The most stuff seems to be at Ember Twin, though.

Edit: ^^ I have found some alternate routes into certain places

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

I also go other places. The most stuff seems to be at Ember Twin, though.

Edit: ^^ I have found some alternate routes into certain places

Ignore those "more to explore here" icons. They don't necessarily mean important stuff, they just reflect that there is something-- often just a signpost-- that you haven't read. There's no reason to try and 100% every location, except that one achievement. Most of the important information can be learned in multiple places, or worked out from other sources. Anyway, are there places you know of, but haven't visited yet? Have you been to the high-energy lab? The black hole forge? The sun station?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Krazyface posted:

Ignore those "more to explore here" icons. They don't necessarily mean important stuff, they just reflect that there is something-- often just a signpost-- that you haven't read. There's no reason to try and 100% every location, except that one achievement. Most of the important information can be learned in multiple places, or worked out from other sources. Anyway, are there places you know of, but haven't visited yet? Have you been to the high-energy lab? The black hole forge? The sun station?

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of: that I missed one piece of text off in a corner somewhere, but I can’t tell the difference between that and something important without going back and scouring every inch of the place. Maybe I will just ignore them, as you suggest.

I risked those spoilers in order to answer your question. I have been to the first two, but not the third. I’ve made a couple of attempts to sync up with its orbit, but failed. Someone said there was a “better way” to get there, but I either haven’t found it, or didn’t recognize it for what it was.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

I have been to the first two, but not the third. I’ve made a couple of attempts to sync up with its orbit, but failed. Someone said there was a “better way” to get there, but I either haven’t found it, or didn’t recognize it for what it was.

I'll tell you this: it's not on Ember Twin, so you can ditch that place for now.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

I risked those spoilers in order to answer your question. I have been to the first two, but not the third. I’ve made a couple of attempts to sync up with its orbit, but failed. Someone said there was a “better way” to get there, but I either haven’t found it, or didn’t recognize it for what it was.

Have you found Feldspar or the Vessel? Have you reached the sixth location?

One of the most important destinations is on Ash Twin. Have you explored there much and/or found a way inside? If not, the locations you've visited should have given you the clues you've needed.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

im p sure some 'there's more to discover here' icons for certain locations are revealed on other worlds

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I really liked the game when it felt like new stuff was being revealed, and I was going new places. Now I've had the same handful of orange "?" marks in my log for days, and the same two or three "there's more to explore here"s that I can't seem to clear out. I'm at the point where I either have to read a guide or quit. I'm going to force myself to play one or two more cycles, then quit if nothing interesting happens.

Don't leave yet! There is a definite ending to this game that you can still find. The same thing happened to me, where I did 3-4 cycles in a row in which I learned absolutely nothing new, and the fun sheen of the game started to wear off.

What turned it around for me (and from reading your trip reports, sounds like it might help you too?) was remembering my (game mechanics) signal scope. You probably already found each of the hearthians from their instruments, but there are other frequencies to find that may jump start the mystery for you again.

As painful as it may be, I'd recommend accepting a blunt hint or two to get things moving before I'd recommend just walking away from the game forever. If you've invested enough time by this point, you're gonna want to stick around to have some or all of your questions answered.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I legitimately don't think there's any game quite like Outer Wilds. It's very much at the bleeding edge of its particular genre. If you want more, you should check out the games that it is the ideological heir to, Myst, Riven, The Witness, etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget that there are two maps, there's one where it's just the planets, and one where it's a red string diagram showing connections between a bunch of things. I used that second one because it really helps you figure things out a bit more easily and remember that some things are connected. You could even post a picture of your clue map and we could probably nudge you in a direction that gives you something new.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

Landing mode is way harder to land with anyways. Much rather be able to orient myself with the horizon than have a flat image of the ground.

It's easy! Just lock on to whatever you're trying to land on, and feather the left and right triggers as required.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Dave Angel posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150726160905/http://alexbeachum.com/outerwildsDownloads/OuterWilds_Alpha_1_2_PC.zip

Yeah, archive's never had the best download speeds around.

But related to that:

I decided to go on a bit of a road trip to see if the Ash Twin Project was in the alpha. It turns out, kinda! Unfortunately the sand effect got stuck to me when I teleported, so I didn't get a great look at it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Dave Angel posted:

Thank you! I’ve been looking for this for a while and Google just lead me to reddit threads where no one had an answer.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

luxury handset posted:

yeah this game whips rear end, please post updates. 2019 was a great year for games i wish i could mind-erase and play fresh again

Yeah, discovery-based games like these don't have too much replay value, to me at least. The only way I've found is to vicariously re-live that sense of discovery through someone else. I found a great blind LP of this game that does just that, if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6C40SY9TEU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'll plug this one too, bcs why not.

https://youtu.be/dXebx51LXDY

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

youcallthatatwist posted:

I'll plug this one too, bcs why not.

https://youtu.be/dXebx51LXDY

3 episodes in and he

a) Hasn't left Timber Hearth because
b) has meticulously examined and read everything
c) is terrified of the geysers on Timber

I'm gonna enjoy this one :allears:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This might have already been posted months ago but if we're doing YouTube posts this one is worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY0mBXKKT0

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Cactus posted:

Yeah, discovery-based games like these don't have too much replay value, to me at least. The only way I've found is to vicariously re-live that sense of discovery through someone else. I found a great blind LP of this game that does just that, if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6C40SY9TEU

I'm really enjoying hearing her puzzle through everything—she's way more intuitive than I was on my first several loops. I like to imagine that her commentary is the PC's voice in-game and she's talking out loud to herself :3:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

timp posted:

I'm really enjoying hearing her puzzle through everything—she's way more intuitive than I was on my first several loops. I like to imagine that her commentary is the PC's voice in-game and she's talking out loud to herself :3:

Ha. Keep watching. I dont think I've ever seen anyone get as emotionally invested in a story by the end as she does, it's great.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This game is releasing soon on Steam. I've completely avoided all spoilers and media so I'm really looking forward to it :)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

This game is releasing soon on Steam. I've completely avoided all spoilers and media so I'm really looking forward to it :)

It's really great

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

You're in for such a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

too right. I don't know why people don't just get the game on the other store if they want it that bad (and you also get free games every week), but that's a discussion for another thread. Looking forward to hearing fresh impressions.