Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

nerox posted:

I haven’t used them, but planning to order some Srixon Soft Feel. They are $20 a dozen, but buy one get one free right now at Srixon.con, which puts you under $1/ball.

Seconding Srixon Soft Feel, love those dang balls. They constantly run either 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 price specials. Once I get my handicap below 20, want to try to switch over to QStar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I don’t think you need to play expensive high end balls but I would take the effort to find a ball you like the feel (which I’m told is mostly sound off the club) of. When I first started out I played supersofts cause I like a pretty dull sound which translates to a soft feel for me. I don’t like balls that click as my brain interprets that as a harsh feeling, especially off the putter. Now that I don’t lose balls that often I use chromesofts which have a very similar sound/feel. Finding a ball I liked the feel of earlier on really upped the enjoyment factor for me personally.

In either case buy off lostgolfballs. Really good service, half price, most balls are like new.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

AndrewP posted:

If I'm a bad golfer, will I be helped in any way by more expensive balls? Should I just get the cheapest I can find?

Vice sell their Drive balls for like a buck a piece. I tend to buy like ten dozen balls from them at the beginning of the season because I quite like their Tour balls*.

Don't believe the poo poo people will tell you about them being Pro V1s at Top Flite prices though.

* lol it's because I like having dumb poo poo pictures printed on them

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Bryson is just a linebacker now

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1271069012760367106

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

goddamn he is a truck

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Bryson has spent the entire quarantine doing nothing but eating, working out, and playing Fortnite on Twitch.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This seems like the right thread to ask: does anyone have a recommendation for lefty golf clubs for the relatively new player? I started playing last summer with a borrowed set of right handed clubs and it felt real weird since I shoot left when playing hockey, but I figured I could make it work. Then we went to a driving range that had left handed clubs to borrow and holy poo poo did they feel good compared.

That being said, I have no idea what are decent clubs for a green player and it looks like my pickings are extremely slim

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

This seems like the right thread to ask: does anyone have a recommendation for lefty golf clubs for the relatively new player? I started playing last summer with a borrowed set of right handed clubs and it felt real weird since I shoot left when playing hockey, but I figured I could make it work. Then we went to a driving range that had left handed clubs to borrow and holy poo poo did they feel good compared.

That being said, I have no idea what are decent clubs for a green player and it looks like my pickings are extremely slim

Depending on whether you are trying to get a full set or not, I suppose you could buy a full set from whatever golfgalaxy or pga superstore. But I bought a Top Flite full set and it was so mediocre, so maybe stick to Wilson or one of the starter sets a bigger name makes.

I would recommend just buying a nice set of used irons and building from there. Callaway Pre-Owned has worked out pretty well for me, and I have finally replaced all my woods, wedges and driver with quality gear. Here's a pretty decent lefthanded set, not too old.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/iron-sets/irons-2016-steelhead-xr.html?cgid=iron-sets

What I ended up doing for most of my irons is buying from gigagolf. They aren't going to blow your mind, and they aren't name brand, but if you are barely getting in to golf, don't want to buy used, and don't even know if you are going to keep playing golf in a year, its a decent place to start. I like to think of it as maybe half way between a big box starter set and a used name brand set. This is the left handed set I bought, and it hasn't let me down yet. https://www.gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=MI-GGTM19-SET

The super pro move, however: Costco sells a starter set of Callaway "Edge" clubs. They're out of stock right now online, but the are pretty cheap for what you get, and they usually have a left handed set available online. If you have a Costco account or a friend with a Costco account, it might be something to be on the look out when they are back in stock. (Comes with a putter!) Here's Rick Shiels reviewing that set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxHLtcHWnzI

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Depending on whether you are trying to get a full set or not, I suppose you could buy a full set from whatever golfgalaxy or pga superstore. But I bought a Top Flite full set and it was so mediocre, so maybe stick to Wilson or one of the starter sets a bigger name makes.

I would recommend just buying a nice set of used irons and building from there. Callaway Pre-Owned has worked out pretty well for me, and I have finally replaced all my woods, wedges and driver with quality gear. Here's a pretty decent lefthanded set, not too old.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/iron-sets/irons-2016-steelhead-xr.html?cgid=iron-sets

What I ended up doing for most of my irons is buying from gigagolf. They aren't going to blow your mind, and they aren't name brand, but if you are barely getting in to golf, don't want to buy used, and don't even know if you are going to keep playing golf in a year, its a decent place to start. I like to think of it as maybe half way between a big box starter set and a used name brand set. This is the left handed set I bought, and it hasn't let me down yet. https://www.gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=MI-GGTM19-SET

The super pro move, however: Costco sells a starter set of Callaway "Edge" clubs. They're out of stock right now online, but the are pretty cheap for what you get, and they usually have a left handed set available online. If you have a Costco account or a friend with a Costco account, it might be something to be on the look out when they are back in stock. (Comes with a putter!) Here's Rick Shiels reviewing that set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxHLtcHWnzI

Absolutely perfect, cheers!

e: it looks like callaway May have discontinued the edge series 😩😩😩

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 12, 2020

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Ok golf goons... I've mentioned before that I did something dumb and bought a golf simulator. Well, I've got it all set up and working pretty now, so I wanted to let you fine people know that I'm working on building a "show" around using it.

The idea is basically like a one-on-one podcast interview, except instead of sitting at a desk, this will be over a round of simulated golf between me and whoever my guest is that episode, and it will be live streamed.

To start out, it will be live only on my Twitch channel, but eventually I'll simulcast the live show to YouTube, Facebook, and wherever else makes sense. The saved recordings will also live on YouTube.

Anyway, I'm doing my first "official" live test stream tonight at 5:30pm PST / 8:30pm EST. This will be mostly to see how everything looks and sounds on the stream as I figure out all of the lighting/mics/cameras/etc. If any of you want to check it out, my channel link is: http://www.twitch.tv/bcrocks

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah bro

I loving love golf

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Update: the lefty edge kit came back in stock so just picked em up :toot:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Update: the lefty edge kit came back in stock so just picked em up :toot:

Hell yeah my dude, let us know how it works out

legitimately jealous

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hey guys, just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone. I took your feedback, lowered my posture (picturing fielding a ground ball has helped tremendously), using an interlocking grip, and bringing my club more around me instead of above me. It still needs more work, but my power has increased substantially. I've increased by club head speed by ~8 mph on my driver (Got it up to 113 once!) and my 4-wood and hybrid are now easily carrying over 200 yards.

I may have to send you guys videos of my new swing - I can't believe how making a few changes has lead to such an increase in power. Once I get more consistent I think I'm going to dramatically drop my strokes. I just wish I had a flex instead of regular grip when I bought these clubs...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

Ok golf goons... I've mentioned before that I did something dumb and bought a golf simulator. Well, I've got it all set up and working pretty now, so I wanted to let you fine people know that I'm working on building a "show" around using it.

The idea is basically like a one-on-one podcast interview, except instead of sitting at a desk, this will be over a round of simulated golf between me and whoever my guest is that episode, and it will be live streamed.

To start out, it will be live only on my Twitch channel, but eventually I'll simulcast the live show to YouTube, Facebook, and wherever else makes sense. The saved recordings will also live on YouTube.

Anyway, I'm doing my first "official" live test stream tonight at 5:30pm PST / 8:30pm EST. This will be mostly to see how everything looks and sounds on the stream as I figure out all of the lighting/mics/cameras/etc. If any of you want to check it out, my channel link is: http://www.twitch.tv/bcrocks

I jumped in rather late and watched a few holes, it was watching sim golf with people I don’t know telling stories about their friends I don’t know playing golf.

I think there’s some potential there because you can isolate the stories while trying to compete but there are no variables during the conversation. You’re never 80 yards away from each other so editing is much cleaner. Wearing golf attire makes it seem more legit too.

I watch a couple Crossfield etc videos a week so a cleaner version of a course vlog, Q/A, club test thing is a pretty cool Idea

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Thanks dude. Yeah, lots of potential and ideas for how the thing can evolve to be more entertaining for a wider audience, but I'm just happy that on a technical level it (mostly) works.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DeChambeau is apparently using a 5.5* driver because he’s so swol(l)e(n) now

Also claims he went from a medium shirt to an XL

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

DeChambeau is apparently using a 5.5* driver because he’s so swol(l)e(n) now

Also claims he went from a medium shirt to an XL

Frankly that shirt thing I could almost buy because holy hell golf shirts get slimmer and slimmer cuts like crazy

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

DJExile posted:

Frankly that shirt thing I could almost buy because holy hell golf shirts get slimmer and slimmer cuts like crazy

He also gained like 50lbs of muscle*

*Fat

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1271584756048842753?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

From this point forward I demand we all make "Bryson is fat, op" jokes the way we did for Jozy Altidore

(Who is also fat)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

From this point forward I demand we all make "Bryson is fat, op" jokes the way we did for Jozy Altidore

(Who is also fat)

Now you’re speaking my language

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
ozma (bryson) fat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Now you’re speaking my language

Lol I knew you'd enjoy that

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I mean I wouldn't call it a totally clean bulk, but ball speed don't lie...

(i still dont like him)

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Broke 100 for the first time ever today after taking lessons. I'm playing with a 15 year old driver and a 20 year old set of irons but having a blast finally getting my swing to "click." I left way too many putts out there (had a 4 put double bogey on a par 3 where I hit the green), so I know where I can focus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paul Proteus posted:

Broke 100 for the first time ever today after taking lessons. I'm playing with a 15 year old driver and a 20 year old set of irons but having a blast finally getting my swing to "click." I left way too many putts out there (had a 4 put double bogey on a par 3 where I hit the green), so I know where I can focus.

gently caress yeah bud congratulations :toot:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Paul Proteus posted:

Nice work. Don't worry about the clubs, look for deals on used, newer clubs if you want, but just practice your putting. Have fun, man.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Got a friend into golf for the first time a couple months ago. He was borrowing my clubs and we’d go get beers at the driving range with some other buddies. Surprised him and bought him a used set of cobras and gave him my old driver and a putter I had in my garage. He’s been out 3 times now and has shot 125, 120 and now 115. All he wants to do is play and then play whatever EA golf game is out when he’s home. Dudes totally hooked and it’s kinda renewed my love for the game. Really fun playing with someone so stoked to even be there, even if they’re not that good.

And that’s the pot calling the kettle black, because for some reason the time away from golf has broke my brain and now what was my biggest weakness, chipping and putting is lights out and my driver feels alien and totally poo poo.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Paul Proteus posted:

Awesome. Between 3 putts and losing balls, breaking 100 seems almost impossible for me.

The lost ball thing is particularly discouraging. I'll hit a shot that maybe wasn't "good" but didn't go out of bounds. But due to either bad sightlines or bad luck the ball is nowhere to be found. So then I'm dropping and technically hitting four and lucky if I get out of there with a triple. This seems to happen to me like three or four times a round.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If it’s a tournament round that sucks. If it’s just you playing for fun, drop a ball as close to where you think yours should be and just continue on. Pros have fans that find their balls for them or grandstands they can bounce it off of, so don’t worry about it.

Golf should be about having fun on the course and spending time outside. Don’t get caught up in the minutia.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah I definitely do, it's just for personal "trying to break 100" purposes it always seems to torpedo my round if I'm actually trying to score myself correctly. Maybe I should just try hitting in the fairway :haw:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok guys, I need something at home to practice my putting. I’m loosing a good 4-5 strokes a round on putts that I should really be making. Anyone got any recommendations on a good indoor putting mat?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

Ok guys, I need something at home to practice my putting. I’m loosing a good 4-5 strokes a round on putts that I should really be making. Anyone got any recommendations on a good indoor putting mat?

https://www.birdieball.com/putting-greens-1/

High quality, decent price (they do promo pricing constantly), and very nice putting feel for a mat.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DJExile posted:

(Who is also fat)

Bryson loves birdies like Jozy loves goals like a fat kid loves candy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I mean I wouldn't call it a totally clean bulk, but ball speed don't lie...

(i still dont like him)

He fat, look at his loving face

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Think I’m gonna make a change or two to my bag. I’m realizing my gapping isn’t quite right.

Currently, yes I know I have one to many clubs, fixing that now.

10.5* driver - 275
15* 3 wood - 250
17* 2 iron - 225
19* 3 hybrid - 220
21* 4 iron - 200
24* 5 iron - 190
28* 6 iron - 180
32* 7 iron - 170
36* 8 iron - 160
40* 9 iron - 150
44* PW - 140
49* AW - 125
56* Wedge - 90
60* Wedge - 75

My biggest gap is between my wedges and it’s what’s currently giving me the most issues. I don’t have a good full 100 yard club. I have to either really step on my 56 or a 3/4 49. So I think I’m gonna take my hybrid and 56/60 up to the golf store tomorrow, trade them in and pick up a 54/58 wedge. I have way more shots that are in the 95-105 yard range that the 54 would do me well for and I feel it’d be easy to take some off the 58 for the shots I’d need it for.

Also, the distances for my upper irons are more or less within a 5-10 yard variance.

What do y’all think.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I think you nailed it but you could almost eliminate the gap wedge too if you tighten up the wedges if the hybrid is a club you’d use more than the gap wedge

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
If you could loft your hybrid to 20 and dump the 4 iron it could let you go 52/56/60 and only have to get one wedge.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Wedges at 50/54/58 seems a good fix. Drop the 2 iron to make bag weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I find it weird that your yardages from 3-PW are almost exactly mine, but my 56* is a reliable ~115 club and a stock 60* has been 100 yards on the nose for the last 10 years. Now I’m worried I deloft my wedges on full swings or something :v: